Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yikes

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Slayerjerman posted:

Go have to say i find the overly sexualized Jade stuff outfits and abilities awkward because it doesn't fit within her story arc or personality of being a martial artist princess, seems out of place for sure, almost like they needed a girl to play dress up with and she drew the short straw.

That said, she's my anime princess dress up waifu :3

Sylvando on the other hand can gently caress off with his forced gayness. I don't dislike him or what he represents, but it's so in your face it annoys me greatly.

:gb2gbs:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Slayerjerman posted:

Sylvando on the other hand can gently caress off with his forced gayness. I don't dislike him or what he represents, but it's so in your face it annoys me greatly.

:yikes:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
SYLVANDO IS GAY!?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Slayerjerman posted:

Go have to say i find the overly sexualized Jade stuff outfits and abilities awkward because it doesn't fit within her story arc or personality of being a martial artist princess, seems out of place for sure, almost like they needed a girl to play dress up with and she drew the short straw.

Holy poo poo you're awful lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Slayerjerman posted:

This is an impressively bad post.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Slayerjerman posted:

*cursed item sound effect*

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
What was the first DW/DQ game where Square Enix was okay using their original Japanese art in the west instead of D&D inspired stuff?

Demtor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 25, 2018

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Almost certain it was 7 on the PS1, followed by the GBC remakes of 1, 2, and 3, as well as the GBC Monsters games.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If Sylvando was anything other than unrelenting awesome I'd offer you might have a point of DQ doing something questionable. But so far, he's been far and away the best character, living his best life.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this cast is so good. i don't want to say goodbye

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Does Sylvando have a good multi hit attack besides the lovely fire breath one?

He became pretty much a staple of my late / post game boss parties because Hustle + Charm is insanely good, but every 4th turn or so I needed something else for him to do.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Iverron posted:

He became pretty much a staple of my post game boss parties because Hustle + Charm is insanely good, but every 4th turn or so I needed something else for him to do.

Whips? There are a few different whip skills that are good.

His That's Amore skill hits a single target pretty hard too.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Malaria posted:

Whips? His That's Amore skill hits a single target pretty hard too.

Hate giving up his Shield because when they hit ~10% that's a life saver from time to time.

Guess he could throw out Cobra Strikes, but I got frustrated with setting up Oomphle + Divide + Victimizer + Sap with Disrupting Wave.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

Iverron posted:

He became pretty much a staple of my late / post game boss parties because Hustle + Charm is insanely good, but every 4th turn or so I needed something else for him to do.
Have A Ball, in the Litheness skill tree. It's a 6 hit attack that randomly targets within a group, with a chance of confusion. Scales off attack I think?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Sylvando is married and has an heir, did no one complete his character quest?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks for letting me know, but I want to try a Hero with a better pool of MP. DQIII isn't terribly hard, to be honest, so I don't see a need to min-max. I'm also trying to decide my party composition... I want to try getting a Goof-Off up to 20 and making him a sage because I've never done it and I'd like to eventually have someone who can use the Merchant and Thief abilities that use MP, but I will miss having a wizard and I don't think that I could possibly run without a Pilgrim and keep my sanity.

My favorite party in DW3 is 3 goof-offs and the hero.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LorneReams posted:

Goon's can't handle the idea of non-masculine non-gay men. If you are feminine you are gay, simple.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Whelp, that was frustrating, but in a way that was my own fault.

Act 3 early spoilers

Went to Octagonia to grab the fighters Gemma wants, whoops, here's some boss battles. Got through the MMA guys fine, but then hit the spidey 2 fight. Got him to 75% but party AI just. kept. healing. with pointless heals when they should have been attacking. Both Hendrick and Veronica kept dropping everything to heal people/rez people when we probably could have won it had they gone all out.

I think it might be time for me to take control of the party then I guess.

Anyone got a good level range set for Act 3? This genuinely does seem to be pretty freeform. Octagonia seems to be 58-62ish at least. I saw a few people saying Hotto is going to be a nightmare until I get some levels.

I'm guessing I'll also want to go to get some unlocks for the various people, I just got the Tiara for Jade.

Assumptions are

Hendrick = Zwaardust Ruins or Dundrasil
Rab = Dundrasil/Angri-la
Erik = Sniflheim
Sylvando = Port Valor/Heliopolis?
MC = Angri-la/Nautica?
Veronica = Arboria/Hotto?
Serena = Arboria/????
Jade.....is probably just the Tiara. She's powerful enough.

I think my favorite twist of the proverbial knife so far is that Mordegon was actually right. The Luminary did bring the Dark One into this world. Mordegon was just some chump that got lucky, Calomas was the person we were born to fight. And he only got his power back because of us. Whoops.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rookersh posted:

Hendrick = Zwaardust Ruins or Dundrasil
Rab = Dundrasil/Angri-la
Erik = Sniflheim
Sylvando = Port Valor/Heliopolis?
MC = Angri-la/Nautica?
Veronica = Arboria/Hotto?
Serena = Arboria/????
Jade.....is probably just the Tiara. She's powerful enough.

Hendrick and Sylvando's upgrades are linked with the agreed-upon worst mainish quest requirement in the game.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 25, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whoa my friend spoiler that quote!

Edit: Good save.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rookersh posted:

I think my favorite twist of the proverbial knife so far is that Mordegon was actually right. The Luminary did bring the Dark One into this world. Mordegon was just some chump that got lucky, Calomas was the person we were born to fight. And he only got his power back because of us. Whoops.
I think he was set to descend soon either way, but Mordegon knew what Erdwin's Lantern contained and could one-shot Calasmos with the Sword of Shadows (a corrupted Sword of Light, which is the one weapon that can kill Calasmos) while he was still sealed and his spirit separated from his body (or whatever was going on with the Spirit of Lost Time that seemed to be housing Calasmos' consciousness). Whereas by the time that the heroes found out about it in Act 2 there was nobody left in the world who knew enough about Erdwin's Lantern to say what it contained, and there wasn't enough time in Act 3 to get the information between the defeat of Mordegon and the descent of the Lantern.

Also, by and large, Calasmos has caused a lot less destruction than Mordegon, although we don't know how much time passed in between the end of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My favorite party in DW3 is 3 goof-offs and the hero.

Nintendo Power had these trading cards during the SNES era. Each issue I got in the mail had a sheet of random ones that I had to separate myself (carefully, without tearing them). Not sure if they were in newsstand issues. I guess you were supposed to get with your friends and trade them for collecting. None of the few friends I had at the time read NP so I never traded, but I had a bunch of them. Anyway, on the back of each one was a list of 3 ideas for self-imposed challenges in the game, ordered by supposed difficulty. The DW3 one was:

quote:

Try getting to the first key with these followers:

Novice - 3 Pilgrims
Intermediate - 1 Fighter and 2 Merchants
Pro - 3 Goof-offs

First key with 3 goof-offs would be piss-easy. I'd extend it to the Magic Key (or even final key) to be even remotely difficult. The two other groups would also be super easy unless you did the entire game with them.

I no longer have those cards, and I'm not sure exactly what happened to them. I used this gallery to get an exact quote.

JustJeff88 posted:

DQIII isn't terribly hard, to be honest

I found Baramos in the remake to be very challenging at the levels I faced him (sub-30 IIRC). He's semi-vulnerable to a few status effects, so if you can get them to land, it's a big advantage. The real problem is his fire breath, so I'd recommend grinding your sage/priest to at least 32 for Insulate (might have been called "Barrier" in the SFC translation). Getting to 34 for Healus/Multiheal would trivialize it, I think.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I think he was set to descend soon either way, but Mordegon knew what Erdwin's Lantern contained and could one-shot Calasmos with the Sword of Shadows (a corrupted Sword of Light, which is the one weapon that can kill Calasmos) while he was still sealed and his spirit separated from his body (or whatever was going on with the Spirit of Lost Time that seemed to be housing Calasmos' consciousness). Whereas by the time that the heroes found out about it in Act 2 there was nobody left in the world who knew enough about Erdwin's Lantern to say what it contained, and there wasn't enough time in Act 3 to get the information between the defeat of Mordegon and the descent of the Lantern.

Also, by and large, Calasmos has caused a lot less destruction than Mordegon, although we don't know how much time passed in between the end of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2.

We do Nautica's Queen says five months during the Nautica bit at the beginning of Act 2.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

Nintendo Power had these trading cards during the SNES era. Each issue I got in the mail had a sheet of random ones that I had to separate myself (carefully, without tearing them). Not sure if they were in newsstand issues. I guess you were supposed to get with your friends and trade them for collecting. None of the few friends I had at the time read NP so I never traded, but I had a bunch of them. Anyway, on the back of each one was a list of 3 ideas for self-imposed challenges in the game, ordered by supposed difficulty. The DW3 one was:

First key with 3 goof-offs would be piss-easy. I'd extend it to the Magic Key (or even final key) to be even remotely difficult. The two other groups would also be super easy unless you did the entire game with them.

Getting to the Magic Key with 3 goof-offs is a little annoying but not too difficult. The upside is that after doing so you're maybe an hour from having 3 sages and at that point RIP any semblance of difficulty (especially if you swap one or two of them to soldier for the final stretch). Also I think high Luck not only made you less likely to be affected by beat/defeat/sacrifice but also had a small effect on damage you took from spells and maybe the chance for status effects to land on you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would like to start DQ3 with Hero/Thief/Gadabout/Mage with the goal of turning the Goof into a Sage as soon as possible and then the Mage into a pilgrim forever, but trying to get through any significant part of the game without a pilgrim would drive me batshit. Come the later game, though, I really, really like to have two characters with a full roster of priest spells, including the good resurrection spell. It's also very handy to have a second caster besides a sage who can cast Bikill.

Ofecks posted:

I found Baramos in the remake to be very challenging at the levels I faced him (sub-30 IIRC). He's semi-vulnerable to a few status effects, so if you can get them to land, it's a big advantage. The real problem is his fire breath, so I'd recommend grinding your sage/priest to at least 32 for Insulate (might have been called "Barrier" in the SFC translation). Getting to 34 for Healus/Multiheal would trivialize it, I think.

There was an excellent LP of DWIIINES that ended recently, and in it someone pointed out that in the remakes they buffed up Baramos a fair bit and they also nerfed the effectiveness of many of the buff/debuff spells, which is a real shame. I can't remember the specifics and don't feel like paging through a long LP again, but it was notable.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Ofecks posted:

There might be a correlation between the "hardest" boss in the game and when the player gets HealUs/Multiheal. It's the single greatest spike in player power so any boss balanced with it in mind it would be a shitwrecker for parties without it. I'm basing this on Baramos in III and Dhoulmagus in VIII. I don't quite remember when you get Multiheal/Hustle in XI (it feels earlier than in other games).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

JustJeff88 posted:

There was an excellent LP of DWIIINES that ended recently, and in it someone pointed out that in the remakes they buffed up Baramos a fair bit and they also nerfed the effectiveness of many of the buff/debuff spells, which is a real shame. I can't remember the specifics and don't feel like paging through a long LP again, but it was notable.

I checked the DQ wiki and Bara-R's resistances were about what I remember as far as difficulty landing them (one is pretty easy to do). I'm not sure if I should type it out here because spoilers, but the info is out there if you need. He also has a massively-increased amount of HP, hence the problem surviving many rounds of fire breath and Kaboom without Insulate or Multiheal.

My silly avatar came from that same DQ3r run, where I named all the characters after yoscattes.

quote:

Tallulah the wizard, Moo the karate chopper, and Refurb the merchant

I'm trying to remember why I would roll a Merchant/Dealer and actually use them in my party but I've got nothing

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 26, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

platinumed the game, only took 150 hours!!!! (though tbf it would probably have taken "only" 80 if i didn't spend such an incredible amount of time loving around)

also (ACT 3 ENDING SPOILERS SERIOUSLY) the opening scene spoiled that the tree is a dragon but i still didn't expect the source of all life to be like "oh btw i'm probably going to be the dragonlord in a few millennia, might want to leave your sword here so someone in a really stupid helmet can come beat me up". Also wasn't expecting the double-swerve at the very-very end where DQ11 is actually DQ3's prequel, though I guess the timeline wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever if it was vice-versa(mostly due to erdrick's name)

also kinda disappointed that gemma wasn't more involved in the story overall if she was going to end up as The Love Interest, I know the standard for jrpg love stories is rock-fuckin-bottom but DQ can actually pull it off when it feels like it. oh well

e: I did GBC DQIII with a preist(change to warrior midgame), jester(sage) and another preist/mage, forgot which(sage)

it's a rough early game but midgame you become unstoppable

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 26, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

I checked the DQ wiki and Bara-R's resistances were about what I remember as far as difficulty landing them (one is pretty easy to do). I'm not sure if I should type it out here because spoilers, but the info is out there if you need. He also has a massively-increased amount of HP, hence the problem surviving many rounds of fire breath and Kaboom without Insulate or Multiheal.

I personally don't mind, but if you don't want to post it in thread for others, you can PM it to me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I hosed up the upgraded Poker crafting, and only got it as a base level x-Poker.

I went to reforge it, and uh, it won't let me? Says it wouldn't be wise to attempt to reforge that.

Am I basically just boned here, or is there a way to eventually reforge this/make it better. Jade is a major source of damage and that seems like the major weapon for her at this point and time.

ALSO I JUST LEARNED/REALIZED IF YOU + THE SIDE EQUIPMENT, IT GETS BETTER BUFFS. THIS IS HUGE. WHY DID NOBODY SAY ANYTHING.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rookersh posted:

So I hosed up the upgraded Poker crafting, and only got it as a base level x-Poker.

I went to reforge it, and uh, it won't let me? Says it wouldn't be wise to attempt to reforge that.

Am I basically just boned here, or is there a way to eventually reforge this/make it better. Jade is a major source of damage and that seems like the major weapon for her at this point and time.

ALSO I JUST LEARNED/REALIZED IF YOU + THE SIDE EQUIPMENT, IT GETS BETTER BUFFS. THIS IS HUGE. WHY DID NOBODY SAY ANYTHING.
Poker only has one level, IIRC. Even if you'd gotten a perfect craft off on upgrading it, you'd still have gotten only the baseline version.

What do you mean about "side equipment"? Is it that accessories generally enhance their special properties (like elemental/status effect resistances or MP recovery) when created at higher plus values? You do know you can press Square when a piece of equipment is selected to see its stats when upgraded, right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LorneReams posted:

I did and I don't remember this at all :negative: Sylvando I have failed you my fabulous friend.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Wow. Impressed with DQ11 sales. Tried to get people to play DQ for years. So that’s good.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rookersh posted:

it only has a single level, so you didn't screw anything up. all the "evolvable" weapons share this trait

e: also sylvando is a brave hero and is also gay as hell, these are both good things and he is very good indeed

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So would you guys consider the second trip back to Nautica as a fish as the beginning of act 2?

I am 50 hours in lol

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Getting to the Magic Key with 3 goof-offs is a little annoying but not too difficult. The upside is that after doing so you're maybe an hour from having 3 sages and at that point RIP any semblance of difficulty (especially if you swap one or two of them to soldier for the final stretch). Also I think high Luck not only made you less likely to be affected by beat/defeat/sacrifice but also had a small effect on damage you took from spells and maybe the chance for status effects to land on you.

Dq3/dq3 NES has the parry bug, though which makes most things in the game trivial. The beginning of the speedrun for the game is basically walking from spawn to the magic key with only one battle fought (3 bomb crags for exp) in between. It probably wouldn't be too hard to just walk the whole deal with 3 level 1 goof-offs, you just might fail a couple of tries.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Deified Data posted:

So would you guys consider the second trip back to Nautica as a fish as the beginning of act 2?

I am 50 hours in lol

Yes, that is the start of Act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How many hours does it take to get to act 2?