Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TXCivilRights/status/1055510081595420672
Oh, well alright then, as long as you say so :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
get with the program and switch to paper ballots like denton county geeze

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I. M. Gei posted:

Good lord those Smith County numbers are low as poo poo.

How is Smith the only county on that list with ZERO mail votes?

Wouldn't shock me if some of them got "lost."

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

I keep thinking when they say turn of the century they mean 1900.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trumpers were complaining about their votes getting switched to Hillary when voting straight ticket in 2016, it's a real issue

E: and if you were going to tamper with the software to record a different vote than was entered why would you show the voter the altered vote

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 26, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Trumpers were complaining about their votes getting switched to Hillary when voting straight ticket in 2016, it's a real issue

E: and if you were going to tamper with the software to record a different vote than was entered why would you show the voter the altered vote

To cause distrust in our electoral process.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Spacebump posted:

Wouldn't shock me if some of them got "lost."

That’s the thing, though. Even if somebody only threw out the Beto votes, there’d probably still be at least one in there for Cruz.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

That’s the thing, though. Even if somebody only threw out the Beto votes, there’d probably still be at least one in there for Cruz.

Unless they were overwhelmingly for Beto and it made more sense to throw a small amount of Cruz one's out. (instead of only 8 mail ins and all of them were Cruz.) About a decade ago when I still had to vote there, I tried to vote by mail in ballot. Several friends checked for me to make sure everything was done correctly. A few weeks later they sent me back a letter saying it wasn't filled out correctly and would be thrown out. I know there was nothing wrong with the ballot. I don't trust mail in ballots for Smith County.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 26, 2018

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Do they run widespread tests on these machines before an election? It seems like they ought to hold some kind of mock test election where officials hold a "simulated vote" with known vote counts for several test races/candidates, and compare that to the electronically-tabulated results to make sure things are working as intended.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Number_6 posted:

Do they run widespread tests on these machines before an election? It seems like they ought to hold some kind of mock test election where officials hold a "simulated vote" with known vote counts for several test races/candidates, and compare that to the electronically-tabulated results to make sure things are working as intended.

lmao

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Number_6 posted:

omg lol

Yeah Texas loves spending tax money on functioning services instead of redirecting it to graft

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PostNouveau posted:

Probably not! Although I can think of a couple of people on the dialer who I think I've swayed, it's a vanishingly small amount.

The goal of door knocking is to get them to make a plan to vote and a promise that they'll follow-through on that plan. Or to connect them with resources to get to the polls if they don't have transportation. Or to give them info about where to vote and when. Or to check them off the list completely.

Convincing them isn't really part of it.

That makes way more sense than what I had in my head.

On an unrelated note there wasn't a line today, I saw some really old dude fall out trying to vote, Ignored a bunch of word salad rear end local propositions, and was the youngest person there by at least 25 years.
9/10 would vote early again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I find it absolutely 100% plausible that the machines are designed such that errors like this aren't uncommon, through sheer incompetence.

VitalSigns posted:

Relatedly, this.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Voted today in the western part of Travis county which translates to not a long wait. I spent 8 minutes from the time I entered the polling location until I left. +1 for Beto but most of the folks I saw voting were middle aged to older white folks which in my part of town probably means all Ted Cruz :/

Also, lol at the national media that is shocked and surprised that Hegar is down 15+ points despite a slick commercial.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I find it absolutely 100% plausible that the machines are designed such that errors like this aren't uncommon, through sheer incompetence.

Relatedly, this.

I guess I should’ve been a little clearer that my dismay is at a civil rights org having to dispel ‘conspiracy to change votes’ from people’s minds. Given how badly everyone is freaking out it was probably necessary, yet unheard. It’s Gallego, come the gently caress on.

Yeah I’m a little irked by this, we can induce cancers our own making thanks.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 26, 2018

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Number_6 posted:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

there's like 10,000 proofs of concept of someone hacking into a voting machine and arbitrarily changing the vote totals to whatever they feel like. basically every defcon conference every year a few hackers present results where they play the voting machines like pianos.

but the point of voting machines is not to perform their purportes purpose of accurately tabulating votes but rather to be an extremely expensive computer for the government to buy. just like the insanely expensive x-ray machines at the airport that are less effective than metal detectors, or the f-35.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cool

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1055631800083640320?s=20

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

We were just posting about this upthread.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i didn't check the final screen because i was sure whose boxes i checked while voting

now i guess i'm not sure who i voted for

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

i didn't check the final screen because i was sure whose boxes i checked while voting

now i guess i'm not sure who i voted for

In hindsight I'm glad today was the day I set aside time for voting, yet also... kind of not? It's sobering knowing you're walking in there with countless people preceding you probably not having noticed that their votes may have been partly invalidated on the way out.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
And we still don't have any water rofl

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm glad i can stock up since i work overnight in lakeway at a place with extremely stealable supplies

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Two things: why the gently caress would anyone vote straight party on these dumbass machines, and isn't that picture highly illegal?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So if you vote straight party, you can still make individual selections. Not saying something isn't going wrong with the machine, but it is fairly trivial to stage that screen for a quick picture and then go back and change the vote.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Zil posted:

So if you vote straight party, you can still make individual selections. Not saying something isn't going wrong with the machine, but it is fairly trivial to stage that screen for a quick picture and then go back and change the vote.

It's also literally the first race you can select on this ballot, which makes it easy to gently caress up if you're futzing with the controls trying to figure out what does what

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's almost always calibration issues with the touch screens since they use the cheapest touch screens possible and design the ballot using a mouse instead of the touch screen and then hand them over to old people who don't understand computers and tell them to regularly run the calibration program to "fix" the issues.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

duz posted:

It's almost always calibration issues with the touch screens since they use the cheapest touch screens possible and design the ballot using a mouse instead of the touch screen and then hand them over to old people who don't understand computers and tell them to regularly run the calibration program to "fix" the issues.

They aren't touch screen, you select with a little clicky wheel. If you select straight party and you're still dicking with the wheel because you're not sure if you got it since the screen updates slow as gently caress, it will change your selection for the topline race, in this case senator.

This happens every year
Trump, Gov. Abbott weigh in on claims that Texas machines changed Trump votes to Clinton

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

In Nueces County, mine was touch screen. No wheels, just literally tapping the box of the person you want to vote for. I didn't vote straight ticket so I don't have any cool stories about the machine changing my vote, but I did spend a couple minutes on the review screen making sure.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah this is the voting machine equivalent of your computer being a bit slow loading whatever and by the time it gets around to registering your frantic clicks or keystrokes things have moved and you opened fifteen copies of the wrong folder or put your name on the address field.

The machines are pieces of poo poo and need to be scrapped, preferably for hand marked optical scan ballots. Just print them out on demand using tracked numbered paper so we can keep the "vote at any precinct" convenience.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If the voting machines were sufficiently compromised to change your vote deliberately, they would be sufficiently compromised not to tell you that they had done so IMO.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/texas-state-students-say-limited-chances-to-vote-on-campus-is-voter-suppression/1550365721

They were talking about this on the KLBJ FM morning show.

The only bright side to all of these voter suppression efforts is that one of the most effective ways to get someone to do something, especially young people is to tell them that they can't.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blah blah blah less words better pictures please

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Not sure how to feel about this.

https://twitter.com/blakefox4news/status/1055610011001540608?s=21

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

saintonan posted:

In Nueces County, mine was touch screen. No wheels, just literally tapping the box of the person you want to vote for. I didn't vote straight ticket so I don't have any cool stories about the machine changing my vote, but I did spend a couple minutes on the review screen making sure.

Oh ok, the complaints I've been seeing for years is all about the clicky wheel machines like we have in Travis County because the screens take a second to load and the controls aren't locked during loading so it's easy to accidentally change your selection on page 1 before page 2 comes up.

But yeah miscalibrated touch screens can also cause problems with recording wrong selections if you're not double-checking.

These are the machines we have that typically cause problems.

And yes every year I mash the screen before remembering "oh yeah it's not touchscreen it's got buttons like the first generation kindle"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Another vote for Beto and the Texas Dems (and yes, I checked. The spinny clicky wheel was fairly firm so it didn't bug out on me). Thought it was funny that as soon as I got home I found a Beto mailer in the mail.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1055860149179596800
https://twitter.com/BobMooreNews/status/1055869685361561600
https://twitter.com/BobMooreNews/status/1055870822328393728
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1055815115486969857

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah young people surging in voting is the only way the blue wave would actually materialize and would be completely missed by likely voter screens

the republicans know this better than the democrats which is why they have been trying to prevent them from voting for years and years

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

duz posted:

I think this was one of the wheel-and-button widgets, but yeah, touchscreens are extremely fucky.

IT BURNS posted:

Two things: why the gently caress would anyone vote straight party on these dumbass machines, and isn't that picture highly illegal?

depends on the state, but yes, in Texas

also, i'm not sure i'd describe a class C misdemeanor as 'highly'

also it's as illegal as operating your cell phone in any capacity within the Magic Circle (100 feet of polling place)

so yes if law enforcement decides they need to raise some money they can cite her for $500 for the twitter picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah young people surging in voting is the only way the blue wave would actually materialize and would be completely missed by likely voter screens

the republicans know this better than the democrats which is why they have been trying to prevent them from voting for years and years

Which is probably why Ted has been freaking out. His internal polls are probably showing more and more young people voting, and the fact that the Kavanaugh fight means there's a good chunk of women who are suddenly not nearly as supportive of the Republicans is why he's been running scared and his ads have had such a desperate "slapped together at the last minute" air.