Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Here's a video of the dva thing I found on the hots reddit https://www.twitch.tv/videos/327311128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Why does Probius exist?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Good area denial and insane aoe burst if he has allies to help him set up.

edit: also he cute

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

shitposting at light speed at midnight

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Cuntellectual posted:

Why does Probius exist?

This, but Kerrigan.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Shockeh posted:

This, but Kerrigan.

Kerrigan is hell good though? Huge stun combo, solid waveclear and insane durability if you pick the right time to jump in and start hurting people to death.

I’ve been messing around with the Ultralisk ult and you can pretty much stunlock a mage from 100-0 with the Ultralisk stun.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Kerrigan is hell good though? Huge stun combo, solid waveclear and insane durability if you pick the right time to jump in and start hurting people to death.

I’ve been messing around with the Ultralisk ult and you can pretty much stunlock a mage from 100-0 with the Ultralisk stun.

It was a light hearted jab at her being loving insane still, and in that camp of 'Hope you're playing a drafting mode to deal with her, or are just plain QM Lucky, because if you drew wrong, gg from the loading screen.'

E: In a game like HOTS, anyone having 100-0 combos, especially ones like Ravage initiated where missing is exceedingly unlikely isn't... great? KTZ can, but he's limited by being literally defenseless if he fucks any single component. Kerrigan still brings good AA, 'spare' Ravage charges and a Stasis.

EE: Casual Alarak question - Love his damage, love his combo; How do you stop people just... walking away, afterward?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 26, 2018

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
You stop people from walking away by pulling the enemy into your team and silencing them. You can only really one-shot people who are low HP or when you have a ton of Sadism.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Blizzard could definitely be a bit less stingy with gold ani packs... but yeah generally their model is pretty decent all things considered

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dota 2 literally gives you every character in the game, for free, from the minute you download it.

I have hundreds if not a thousand plus games of hots and don't own all the characters yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
dota 2 sucks rear end though

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: also he cute

he very cute

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

you want to know why probius exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qULyzqGxdaU

boom

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I might have to go through and watch all those, that's both this one and the Raynor one that I genuinely lol'd at.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kaesarsosei posted:

I might have to go through and watch all those, that's both this one and the Raynor one that I genuinely lol'd at.

let me just confirm that you need to watch all of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WKS0Se_640

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bogart posted:

dota 2 sucks rear end though

Dota 2 owns and their tournaments especially own because people pull out oddball strats and esoteric "I've played this character for a decade" poo poo all the time.

Also never having to grind a single second to unlock characters.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Yardbomb posted:

Dota 2 owns and their tournaments especially own because people pull out oddball strats and esoteric "I've played this character for a decade" poo poo all the time.

and they have TI, with $$$$$$$ for reward money.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lucifirius posted:

and they have TI, with $$$$$$$ for reward money.

Yeah the TI pot getting more insane every year is also pretty cool, you win TI and you're SET.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yardbomb posted:

last hitting

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kith posted:

last hitting

Is fine? :confused: You look/feel how much your attack does, hold up a second and hit the little man when he low health.

Denying is similarly easy and not even close to some mandatory thing at the majority of skill levels, even moreso when you can set your normal clicks to deny at friendly low health too.

Item builds aren't hard and have gotten much easier as well, because nowadays they've put their own hotslogs etc. in the game under high rated guides that you can pick on the fly.

I'd pop the biggest boner in the world if blizzard introduced something as simple as last hitting for the trade of having every character as they come out.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Last hitting is dumb boring work that's just there to pad out getting to the fun part of the game

I mean compared to the latest director having tried to make the game all teamfight all the time every game, I'd be down for some padding right now too.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 26, 2018

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Last hitting is dumb boring work that's just there to pad out getting to the fun part of the game

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
in conclusion, dota is a game of contrast

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Is fine? :confused: You look/feel how much your attack does, hold up a second and hit the little man when he low health.

Denying is similarly easy and not even close to some mandatory thing at the majority of skill levels, even moreso when you can set your normal clicks to deny at friendly low health too.

Item builds aren't hard and have gotten much easier as well, because nowadays they've put their own hotslogs etc. in the game under high rated guides that you can pick on the fly.

I'd pop the biggest boner in the world if blizzard introduced something as simple as last hitting for the trade of having every character as they come out.

I mean compared to the latest director having tried to make the game all teamfight all the time every game, I'd be down for some padding right now too.

Last hitting and laning are bad and boring, and team fights are good and exciting

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Last hitting/denying only exists because of limitations from the original WC3 engine (IIRC) and its continued existence is nothing more than a testament to nerds clinging to arbitrary complexity in games because they think it provides some kind of depth ( and therefore is an accomplishment to learn). It doesn't actually make sense in the flow of the game at all since it doesn't accomplish almost anything besides slowing things down a bit and the idea of denying a kill by friendly fire is objectively bad design that rightfully doesn't seem to be a thing almost anywhere else outside of DotA style games from what I have seen. Item shops and builds I can live with learning for the most part, but having to pay attention to who is hitting what and how much health those things have is a layer of gameplay that seems unfun and arbitrary as gently caress. It's a pointless hold over that I wish they would have the balls to just do away with already. And if it is actually a super minor thing these days then that is even more reason to just remove it from the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bringing up dota 2's business model of not having to grind for characters was not an invitation for people to bicker which game has better gameplay. I was talking about the fact that someone new to dota can play whoever they want from the start while Blizzard gates that behind countless hours or $$$

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Bringing up dota 2's business model of not having to grind for characters was not an invitation for people to bicker which game has better gameplay. I was talking about the fact that someone new to dota can play whoever they want from the start while Blizzard gates that behind countless hours or $$$

Yeah, and its a real loss for hots because there's such a massive wall in-front of new players. League can get away with it because the game is massively popular but hots doesn't have that. They'll never change the system because $$$$$ but the player base would hugely benefit from just making characters free

But maybe people impulse buying new heroes+skin bundles is the only thing keeping the game running I have no idea

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I'm not sure I'd want every hero available to me as a new hots player. It is really overwhelming. I don't think they give you enough heroes to start, but it is nice unlocking heroes as you play more and not logging in and just feeling like 'holy poo poo where do I even start' looking at the roster. I installed dota2 for the first time today and logged off 5 minutes afterwards for that exact reason.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The real crime is that they got rid of those really nice free 20 character bundles that were there for a bit when 2.0 came out

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ort posted:

I'm not sure I'd want every hero available to me as a new hots player. It is really overwhelming. I don't think they give you enough heroes to start, but it is nice unlocking heroes as you play more and not logging in and just feeling like 'holy poo poo where do I even start' looking at the roster. I installed dota2 for the first time today and logged off 5 minutes afterwards for that exact reason.

It's more common for virtually everyone I know to download hots, see a cool character in their first match, look at how much gold each one costs and go nope.

If you feel too overwhelmed by dota literally pretend you can only pick from 10 characters don't say that the company is helping you by being greedy lol

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's more common for virtually everyone I know to download hots, see a cool character in their first match, look at how much gold each one costs and go nope.

If you feel too overwhelmed by dota literally pretend you can only pick from 10 characters don't say that the company is helping you by being greedy lol

Choice fatigue is a real thing but ok.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Characters do cost vastly too much gold. Almost half the roster is 10k. They really do need to automatically drop in price every few months they're out until they hit 2k.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Last hitting and laning are bad and boring, and team fights are good and exciting

Team fighting honestly gets kind of boring when the director wants the entire match to be about it, it also dumps on weirder characters/builds and stuff like that and just makes keyboard mash assassins stronger which is lame.

fool_of_sound posted:

Characters do cost vastly too much gold. Almost half the roster is 10k. They really do need to automatically drop in price every few months they're out until they hit 2k.

This however is entirely true, I only sort of realized it a bit back that yeah, so much of the roster now are "legendary" and friggin 10k still, loooooooooong after they should've realistically been brought down a notch if not two.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah decision fatigue or not, you can get over that just playing and trying whatever you want, because you can actually just do that! Everyone goes "Who the gently caress do I play" when they first start like Dota 2 or a fighting game with a big roster, picking around on the character select and finding out who works for you feels good as hell, while maybe getting a taste of a really cool character on a free week and then them going back behind the lock until you can grind up to them feels like rear end.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Been dipping in and out of HGC group stage during the work day, but it seems like most games have resulted in some pretty massive snowballs that were pretty much won by level 20, if not much sooner. Have there been any close games?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Analysis paralysis does not justify a lovely business model. Citing it as a reason in favour of the awful gold economy of HOTS is silly.
People being lost upon logging in is more of an issue with lovely tutorials and a lack of ways to ease players into the game. The issue is the game not having the proper tools to teach, not a lack of restrictions. Taking choices away from the player is not in any way equivalent to a streamlined or more palpable experience. Streamlining is about false choices being taken away, not legitimate ones.

And I very much agree that new players are just being thrown to the wolves, but any higher ranked player in HOTS that has ever looked at lower ranked games would have to come to the same conclusion. It's not like anything in HOTS teaches people proper play either.

They tried to justify talent gating the same way back when it was around. Until everyone eventually came to the realization that it was just lovely to artificially make newer players weaker by default. Making even long time players weaker in unranked and ranked draft by denying them the ability to play characters that would be useful is just dumb and nothing else.

I only really started playing DOTA 2 a couple months ago, but it offered compelling enough gameplay to actually make me take a deep dive and overcome some of its obtuse nonsense.
When it comes to tutorials or a guided play experience, the entire genre tends to be bad and unintuitve. DOTA as much as HOTS. I don't remember Smite being very good in that regard either. Can't really speak for any others.
You need to rely on outside sources for both games to eventually understand them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Zwiebel posted:

They tried to justify talent gating the same way back when it was around. Until everyone eventually came to the realization that it was just lovely to artificially make newer players weaker by default.

Holy poo poo I'd almost forgotten all about this, man I loved having characters that were just straight up, unavoidably kneecapped until you suffered them enough to unlock their good talents, just the best idea.

Skyweir
Apr 29, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

Analysis paralysis does not justify a lovely business model. Citing it as a reason in favour of the awful gold economy of HOTS is silly.
People being lost upon logging in is more of an issue with lovely tutorials and a lack of ways to ease players into the game. The issue is the game not having the proper tools to teach, not a lack of restrictions. Taking choices away from the player is not in any way equivalent to a streamlined or more palpable experience. Streamlining is about false choices being taken away, not legitimate ones.

And I very much agree that new players are just being thrown to the wolves, but any higher ranked player in HOTS that has ever looked at lower ranked games would have to come to the same conclusion. It's not like anything in HOTS teaches people proper play either.

They tried to justify talent gating the same way back when it was around. Until everyone eventually came to the realization that it was just lovely to artificially make newer players weaker by default. Making even long time players weaker in unranked and ranked draft by denying them the ability to play characters that would be useful is just dumb and nothing else.

I only really started playing DOTA 2 a couple months ago, but it offered compelling enough gameplay to actually make me take a deep dive and overcome some of its obtuse nonsense.
When it comes to tutorials or a guided play experience, the entire genre tends to be bad and unintuitve. DOTA as much as HOTS. I don't remember Smite being very good in that regard either. Can't really speak for any others.
You need to rely on outside sources for both games to eventually understand them.

This is because the genre is based on a Warcraft 3 mod, which naturally incorporated Warcraft 3 gameplay rules that were not designed for a team-based, single character PvP game. Most of the obtuse or idiotic gameplay and design problems in MOBAs comes form this, since those gamplay rules became the traditional way these games works, and gave rise to concepts like the carry, supports, lane assignments, feeding, creep, jungles and so on.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Smite at least lets you unlock all of the gods (including all future ones) for a one-time $30 purchase.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Tempo Storm and Heroes Hearth are both really bad. I really wish Octalysis had made it to worlds because they're at least interesting.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Skyweir posted:

This is because the genre is based on a Warcraft 3 mod, which naturally incorporated Warcraft 3 gameplay rules that were not designed for a team-based, single character PvP game. Most of the obtuse or idiotic gameplay and design problems in MOBAs comes form this, since those gamplay rules became the traditional way these games works, and gave rise to concepts like the carry, supports, lane assignments, feeding, creep, jungles and so on.

best post

it is actually loving annoying how much crap that plagues MOBA gameplay comes from the fact that people just can't move on from their teenage Frozen Throne years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I have never heard “free things are bad because there’s too many of them” before. Quite an interesting take.