Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

muscles like this! posted:

I ain't watching his video but I'm just going to guess that it is because of no white people.

Which is ironic because the real issue with Moana is that it was still ultimately written and produced by white people and is something of a hodgepodge of cultural elements. It still tries really hard to be inclusive and respectful of the subjects it handles and isn't nearly as bad as Mulan was for dressing up a Chinese cultural hero like a Geisha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

brugroffil posted:

Some early Simpsons episodes were a joke every line. Last Exit is nonstop jokes.

Its also the greatest episode so perhaps thats the reason.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sentient Data posted:

I used to skip about 5 minutes in to get past the opening ad and intros, but now it's gotten to the point of being almost 15 minutes because they feel like they have to spend such a long time proving they have the correct opinions on the latest hot button topic. I already had to just say screw it to a couple other entertainment podcasts when they wouldn't shut up about politics, I don't want to lose another :(

I don't care about the political stuff but holy poo poo their ads are grating. I swear there's like 15 or 20 minutes of t-shirt and patreon shilling every episode.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So it turns out that guy who made the "Apu is totally not racist" video also made a video about how he hates Moana. Very surprising!

Would it surprise you to find out he's a Brony?

It sucks he has bad opinions because he's a really good animator :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-yA8U2XgI

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't care about the political stuff but holy poo poo their ads are grating. I swear there's like 15 or 20 minutes of t-shirt and patreon shilling every episode.

It’s their full time job now so I don’t blame them. They do good work and are better than the other popular Simpsons podcast imo.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If I listen I end up mashing fast forward until the next clip plays.

uhhh why don't you just, you know, watch the actual episodes then

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I think they've greatly expanded the guest interview part. I swear the Summer of 4 foot 2 episode had no-poo poo 45 minutes of bio with the guest, who was some animator or comic artist or who gives a gently caress I've never read her poo poo and don't care about her childhood, talk about The Simpsons dammit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

I think they've greatly expanded the guest interview part. I swear the Summer of 4 foot 2 episode had no-poo poo 45 minutes of bio with the guest, who was some animator or comic artist or who gives a gently caress I've never read her poo poo and don't care about her childhood, talk about The Simpsons dammit.

Yeah, they've been doing it like What A Cartoon lately where they don't start talking about the actual episode until after the ad break, which sucks when the guest is someone I don't give a poo poo about, like most of them.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PostNouveau posted:

to be completely fair that particular guest was an actual simpsons artist on the official simpsons comic so it's warranted imo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

I ain't watching his video but I'm just going to guess that it is because of no white people.

just watched it and you're partly right

the rest was long digressions about how sad he is, complaining how a disney movie is escapist fiction for 9 year old girls and that he couldn't relate to it at all

jesus what a poo poo show

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Plan Z posted:

My favorite old Simpsons bit is probably the "Is it about my cube?" exchange with Homer and Burns. It's super quick with some "smile" or "heh" laughs as Homer reads through the note cards. Then, when you think Burns is about to yell at Homer to end the gag, he asks the "Is it about my cube?" line, which is a mixture of character humor (Burns is straight to business and is rich enough that he doesn't really care about the car) and subverting expectation (you're expecting Burns to get mad like most shows would have him). Nowadays, Burns is pretty much there to do some "I hate the poor" speech, then be the subject of a punch-up political joke about the rich, a joke about him being oblivious to how rich he is, or a physical gag about him being weak.

My favourite gag which has been stuck in my head lately is the 'Aaronson and Zykowski are the two biggest gossips in town', it's such a good straight up joke.

I feel if they made it today, it'd be in a montage with clips of every character or maybe they would call the Jimmy Kimmels and get a few celebrities reacting to Homer getting his new job

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fingerless Gloves posted:

My favourite gag which has been stuck in my head lately is the 'Aaronson and Zykowski are the two biggest gossips in town', it's such a good straight up joke.

I love it when a simple subversion throws me like that.
“I’m seeing double! Four Krusties!”

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Sockser posted:

It sucks he has bad opinions because he's a really good animator :(

The first is a requirement for the second

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Talking Simpsons is the best Simpsons podcast there is. Before that I listened to Worst Episode Ever and had to stop just because of how personally repellent the hosts were as human beings. Bob and Henry are good dudes who don't give a gently caress and I enjoy their opinions and their friendship.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, they’ve forgotten about editing. These episodes are getting near Return of the King length every week. If I listen I end up mashing fast forward until the next clip plays.

It was too bad Chris Antista left, he wasn’t perfect but helped call out Bob and Henry for being too woke for a cartoon podcast. It’s bizarre to hear them declare multiple times without irony that their show is pro-sex worker. We Hate Movies is adamantly pro-mafia but as a joke.

Last episode they started talking about James Woods out of nowhere for an extended amount of time, and I was just thinking, 'Come guys, I know James Woods is a bad person, we all do, if you were talking about Homer and Apu it would be relevant, but you're not, it's Brother From Another Series, pull it back to the actual episode".

You mean the show that had the Chapo guys on it gets political? Whaaaat

...On the episode where they literally have George Bush appear.

It was also kind of awkward especially when the Chapo guy just exclaimed 'Shut up, Bitch' to a soundbite of Barbara Bush and everybody shared an awkward silence.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 26, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Which is ironic because the real issue with Moana is that it was still ultimately written and produced by white people and is something of a hodgepodge of cultural elements. It still tries really hard to be inclusive and respectful of the subjects it handles and isn't nearly as bad as Mulan was for dressing up a Chinese cultural hero like a Geisha.

Book your trip at the Disney Polynesian Resort today!

VERTICAL INTEGRATION

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sight gags are important as well. Early Simpsons has funny poo poo happening in the background constantly and Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman are constantly filling space between scenes with great gags and weird visual callbacks.

Archer is a beautiful show that has only gotten prettier and prettier over its lifetime but one of the reasons I tapped out on it is the last few seasons are basically a radio show, in that unlike R&M/Bojack, I don’t feel like I’m missing important things if I can’t see the screen.

Also I’m just getting into podcasts as a hobby, but the idea that there are multiple podcasts supporting multiple people wherein they focus and dissect on only this show is really bogglesome. It’s one thing to trawl threads for dank memes, but finding hours upon hours to listen to other people talk about a single show that stopped being good 20 years ago seems absurd.

Are there big MASH or Twin Peaks podcasts?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bust Rodd posted:

Sight gags are important as well. Early Simpsons has funny poo poo happening in the background constantly and Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman are constantly filling space between scenes with great gags and weird visual callbacks.

Archer is a beautiful show that has only gotten prettier and prettier over its lifetime but one of the reasons I tapped out on it is the last few seasons are basically a radio show, in that unlike R&M/Bojack, I don’t feel like I’m missing important things if I can’t see the screen.

Also I’m just getting into podcasts as a hobby, but the idea that there are multiple podcasts supporting multiple people wherein they focus and dissect on only this show is really bogglesome. It’s one thing to trawl threads for dank memes, but finding hours upon hours to listen to other people talk about a single show that stopped being good 20 years ago seems absurd.

Are there big MASH or Twin Peaks podcasts?

Hooked on TJ Hooker is a good podcast about one show.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Weird name for a Twin Peaks podcast, but that's okay

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Iron Crowned posted:

It’s a hilarious show. Especially when Sajdak and Jupin guest star.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also generally enjoy listening to Talking Simpsons (I have a very long commute so don't mind the episode length) but did prefer Chris over most of the special guests. I followed both guys on Twitter after discovering the show for the first time and Bob was in the middle of some beef with a random guy giving him poo poo or something and constantly tweeted about it trying to call this troll out so I unfollowed him pretty quickly. It was grating to say the least.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

I was really blown away by how good-looking Archer turned out to be. There was some herky-jerkiness about the Flash animation early on, and the mouth movements have never looked very natural, but the 3D CGI backdrops are gorgeous and there is some pretty incredible full-body action they've developed an ability to do. This article was a great read https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/archer-animation-evolution-100-episodes-interview-1202828645/

The best thing about it for me is seeing it as the evolution of Sealab -> Frisky Dingo -> present-day fully-developed prime-time material. There's a clear genealogy and a consistent artistic vision to all of them, and it's almost a perfect case study in what happens if you find a creative person with a lot of untapped talent and water that plant with ever-increasing amounts of money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not confirmed but the guy who originally made that Apu documentary is saying that he's heard from multiple sources in The Simpsons that they're just going to quietly phase the character out completely and he won't even appear as a background character any more. I guess that's better than doubling down but it still seems like the cowards way of dealing with the issue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone who ever thought that wasn’t the best case scenario was shooting for the moon. What, Matt Groening gonna tweet out “Were sorry to all the Indian fans for 30 years of dog whistling, our bad!”

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Not confirmed but the guy who originally made that Apu documentary is saying that he's heard from multiple sources in The Simpsons that they're just going to quietly phase the character out completely and he won't even appear as a background character any more. I guess that's better than doubling down but it still seems like the cowards way of dealing with the issue.

Meanwhile, Sanjay's role will be expanded significantly

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Now they just need the phase out the rest of the characters :smuggo:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Give Apu a spinoff.

Actually, come to think of it, he's one of the few characters that could conceivably carry one. Well, 10-20 years ago anyway and not accounting for the racism.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Last episode they started talking about James Woods out of nowhere for an extended amount of time, and I was just thinking, 'Come guys, I know James Woods is a bad person, we all do, if you were talking about Homer and Apu it would be relevant, but you're not, it's Brother From Another Series, pull it back to the actual episode".

They were comparing Pat Sajak to James Woods in terms of Twitter presences. It came up naturally and not at all like you're describing

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

If you're posting in the "golden age of simpsons was great" thread and yet are also riled up about wokeness or sjws or whatever I'm gonna guess you never actually got a lot of what they were going for during the good seasons

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Riptor posted:

If you're posting in the "golden age of simpsons was great" thread and yet are also riled up about wokeness or sjws or whatever I'm gonna guess you never actually got a lot of what they were going for during the good seasons

Lol are there people that are really that dense

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
They should kill him off. Maybe he gets trampled by an elephant. Or electricuted by the squishee machine. Or dies in an armed robbery. Or lung cancer from excessive pollution.

Couldn't be worse than a t-shirt gun.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SirPablo posted:

They should kill him off. Maybe he gets trampled by an elephant. Or electricuted by the squishee machine. Or dies in an armed robbery. Or lung cancer from excessive pollution.

Promoted to Regional Manager and moves to Capitol City

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
apu died on the way back to his home planet

and then they bring Roy back to manage the kwik e mart

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

apu died on the way back to his home planet

If they did at the end of a random episode I would actually laugh, yes.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

If they did at the end of a random episode I would actually laugh, yes.

But Lisa would make some comment about it being a meta joke and Marge comment on that. Ruining it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

SirPablo posted:

But as the Simpsons likes to remind us so very much, Apu is Hindu and therefore would be reincarnated.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
About a year after they phase out Apu, they'll announce the final episode of The Simpsons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just dropping Apu seems kinda lame but I suppose it’s the best way modern Simpsons could ever handle the issue.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Then, someone will dress up as Apu in the Treehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

He should get shot by a T-shirt cannon at a NASCAR race