Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
youtube went down for 2 hours last week and it made international headlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the climate change thread is just too dang positive!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

I think the character of Americans is innately fascist and craves authoritarianism and no matter how hard we struggle I'm not optimistic about our odds of overcoming that hurdle with electoral politics. It'll probably come down to who starts killing eachother first and I'll be grateful if it doesn't happen in my lifetime. There is no blue wave coming to save us and we need to start arming ourselves immediately.

Other than that my life is pretty alright right now, I have no major complaints.

Everyone forgets our current “democracy for all” is really democracy for certain countries and limited in many ways. Also it is a short aberration in all human history where everything has basically fucken sucked for the vast majority forever.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
All your sharp teeth are in the front.

All the bones in your neck are in the back.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the "ask-me-about-my-weiner" guy made a period piece movie about the 90s and literally just titled it Mid90s. It's about skateboarding and it has 90% score on rotten tomatoes.

like imagine if when grease came out, it had just been called Randal Kleiser presents "1950s-ish"

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

redm posted:

the "ask-me-about-my-weiner" guy made a period piece movie about the 90s and literally just titled it Mid90s. It's about skateboarding and it has 90% score on rotten tomatoes.

like imagine if when grease came out, it had just been called Randal Kleiser presents "1950s-ish"

Jonah Hill?

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Sid Vicious posted:

Jonah Hill?

are jonah hill and the "ask-me-about-my-weiner" guy not the same person?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

redm posted:

are jonah hill and the "ask-me-about-my-weiner" guy not the same person?

I was checking with you

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Sid Vicious posted:

I was checking with you

yes I was purposefully referring to him with an insulting moniker because im just that much of a downer my friend

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
You want to lead an active life but have no real life friends.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 25, 2018

Auto Level Yoshi
Aug 14, 2008
now this is my kind of thread....where should I start? my colleagues constantly taking the piss or the fact ive been single for 6 years?

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

The Dennis System posted:

I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
*picks up acoustic & sighs*

alllll i can say, is that my life is pretty gay

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

This thread is such a downer it's like waking up hung over and remembering a girl you picked up at the bar and went down on in her car

It's reminiscent of a barbituate

Goodnight everybody

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i wanan die

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
I ripped a choice rear end fart but then the stench of absolutely rancid poo poo hit me and hung like a cloud in front of my face for an unfortunately long time

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
grill the meats OP

get BEEFY

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*is a Xanax bar*

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
You have probably already farted your grandest fart

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

that always makes me smile, because it amounts to "nuh uh, now do exactly what i say or i will hurt you"

so true to life

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
"Heh, friend-mouse wouldn't lie to me. Thanks Mickey!", I whisper to myself as I go back to labour for my overlords, faith renewed.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the lack of a readily apparent meaning to life and/or existence is a scrub-tier downer, because there's no reason to interpret it as a negative. it just means that we're lucky to exist at all and are free to determine for ourselves what we'll make of it (I'm not being upbeat I am building to something)

consider the opposite:
if there were some prescribed meaning, known or unknown, why should that somehow be inherently better than meaning that's self-determined? we're free, responsible agents determining our own development through acts of will– what right should the universe have to dictate our own meaning to us? without our consent? against our will? so that if we were to accomplish everything we desire for ourselves, every aspiration fulfilled, every joy, the wisdom and knowledge and self-actualization, a long and incontrovertible trail of righteousness and good will, it wouldn't count, because we've failed in some secret purpose we were "meant" for? ridiculous. disgusting. to have some predetermined "meaning" hanging over every moment, in judgement of our every act would be nothing but an ontological prison.

the sad thing about nihilism isn't that it's true, it's that it's seductive. that a chance arrangement of mass and energy, granted a brief lifetime of glorious awareness, could know that it's a chance arrangement of mass and energy granted a brief lifetime of glorious awareness, yet still choose to waste the boundless freedom to self-determine in these few precious moments of existence convincing itself that there wouldn't be a point

that was the tragedy of Rust Cohle, the character from True Detective that The Dennis System was quoting at the start of this tangent. the creators of the show understood this, hence, why, at the end of that series, and the conclusion of his character arc, Cohle mused, "Once, there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning."
quoting Cohle at any other point is like quoting Tyler Durden or Rorschach– something unambiguously self-destructive and self-deluded being mistaken, in a fit of adolescent bitterness, for uncompromising truth and wisdom. if you really believe that nonsense, the tragedy isn't in the truth of the tough and gritty detachment you're performing; the tragedy is you.

existence precedes essence– so what? go fly a kite.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nihilism is an important step towards existentialism.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Cubone posted:

the lack of a readily apparent meaning to life and/or existence is a scrub-tier downer, because there's no reason to interpret it as a negative. it just means that we're lucky to exist at all and are free to determine for ourselves what we'll make of it (I'm not being upbeat I am building to something)

consider the opposite:
if there were some prescribed meaning, known or unknown, why should that somehow be inherently better than meaning that's self-determined? we're free, responsible agents determining our own development through acts of will– what right should the universe have to dictate our own meaning to us? without our consent? against our will? so that if we were to accomplish everything we desire for ourselves, every aspiration fulfilled, every joy, the wisdom and knowledge and self-actualization, a long and incontrovertible trail of righteousness and good will, it wouldn't count, because we've failed in some secret purpose we were "meant" for? ridiculous. disgusting. to have some predetermined "meaning" hanging over every moment, in judgement of our every act would be nothing but an ontological prison.

the sad thing about nihilism isn't that it's true, it's that it's seductive. that a chance arrangement of mass and energy, granted a brief lifetime of glorious awareness, could know that it's a chance arrangement of mass and energy granted a brief lifetime of glorious awareness, yet still choose to waste the boundless freedom to self-determine in these few precious moments of existence convincing itself that there wouldn't be a point

that was the tragedy of Rust Cohle, the character from True Detective that The Dennis System was quoting at the start of this tangent. the creators of the show understood this, hence, why, at the end of that series, and the conclusion of his character arc, Cohle mused, "Once, there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning."
quoting Cohle at any other point is like quoting Tyler Durden or Rorschach– something unambiguously self-destructive and self-deluded being mistaken, in a fit of adolescent bitterness, for uncompromising truth and wisdom. if you really believe that nonsense, the tragedy isn't in the truth of the tough and gritty detachment you're performing; the tragedy is you.

You make so good points, but the problem is that free will and self determination might not even exist.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Cubone posted:

consider the opposite:

The best part about nihilism is I can read this and just go 'nah' and then back to doing my part of not procreating.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
I can see your soul at the edges of your eyes. It's corrosive, like acid

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Cubone posted:

consider the opposite:

alternatively

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cubone posted:

consider the opposite:

Man I’ve never seen anyone get so lovely about eating a pussy jeez. :jerkbag:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DrPossum posted:

alternatively

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

DrPossum posted:

alternatively

right, and we're in the downer thread, which implicitly means that this is not why it was brought up

I was synthesizing those two facts into a third premise that would still be thread appropriate

thesis: a lack of meaning is not inherently negative
antithesis: we're in the downer thread
synthesis: people believing that a lack of meaning is a downer are more tragic than the lack of meaning in and of itself

it was a long walk, sorry

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nihilism has always been cool because you can say whatever the gently caress you want and do whatever you want and none of it mattered, and none of it will ever matter-- or at least that's what the books and the nerds say.

So long as you stick to the prospect of never caring about anything you'll be on the cruise control to coolsville but once you start to care about not caring you lose your way and it turns into hedonism/utilitarianism or obsession-- for example why not run around murdering, raping, frauding? because you'll go to jail or die or feel guilty and thus you'll suffer and then you say to yourself "oh poo poo then i shouldnt do those things.."

WRONG that's not proper nihilisimz -- that means it matters to you that you enjoy your life thus that becomes the purpose of your life: enjoy it, which means you either believe thats the purpose of life generally for people, or you're a special and unique entity -- a god -- or you are giving in to your biological need for maximizing those sweet dopamine rushes. There is a difference between being purposeful and behaving purposefully.

In other words, nihilism rules because the only truly dope rational outcome is for you to maximize your pleasure and minimize the badz which is basically utilitarianism and maximizing your pleasure utiles probably has you doin' poo poo you wouldn't think is important or cool or should matter-- like working a job, having kids, voting, watching reality TV, etc.

The end-result of all of human knowledge, societal development, and all our effort and strife in determining the purpose of all of us is that you really shouldn't give a poo poo about anything and just enjoy it because you're gonna be too old to bang young people and your doctor's gonna recommend you stop drinking and doing drugs and then you're left sitting there rubbing your dick until the angel of death caresses your fetid lips with the kiss of sweet release. If you have any sense of empathy you'll try to help others in their lifetime to aid their goal of being happy a bunch, with the secret knowledge that making others happy means others will try to make you happy and then you realize that's what society is.

Just sit back, drink the beer, be bored at work, and jerk off to your favorite porns, eat your fave foods, and make sure you die at a net positive of happy poo poo.

If you want to be a true nihilist just give up and stop eating or something, but good fuckin luck because taco bell currently is selling $5 triple double crunchwrap boxes which includes a drink and 2 fuckin tacos my dude i mean HELLOO

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

All of this implies that an individual is perfectly rational and has free will which is a laughable proposition to begin with. When someone's claimed reason to slavishly follow a strict ideology/religion is that they would be raping, pillaging and murdering otherwise, it's time to back away from the psychopath and never be in the same room alone.

Huh idk how that "not" got in there.

Colonel Cancer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 26, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but those are the common examples used when discussing "why shouldn't I do things that are immoral and/or illegal?"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

jokes posted:

If you want to be a true nihilist just give up and stop eating or something, but good fuckin luck because taco bell currently is selling $5 triple double crunchwrap boxes which includes a drink and 2 fuckin tacos my dude i mean HELLOO
lol

it's like the different levels of vegetarian
people use nihilism to mean, like, vegan, but really it's full breatharian; once you're there the only thing to do is starve to death

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Surviving trauma has given me the ability to have all my prior self wanted at the cost of my prior self. I cannot enjoy these things.

There are far worse things than death.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Like three people like Destiny's Child.

loving, three.

Pack it in, people.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Cubone posted:

right, and we're in the downer thread, which implicitly means that this is not why it was brought up

I was synthesizing those two facts into a third premise that would still be thread appropriate

thesis: a lack of meaning is not inherently negative
antithesis: we're in the downer thread
synthesis: people believing that a lack of meaning is a downer are more tragic than the lack of meaning in and of itself

it was a long walk, sorry

Nah, it's cool if you're being a downer on downer nihilism in the downer thread

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
*sits*

*stares*

*frowns*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
welp, 2 days sober was a good run

cheers thread

• Locked thread