Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Leto II actually have an ancient Egyptian pharaoh sharing his body

If only he could fit a duel disk on the worm body

Leto literally has every single person from history in his body. You know that thing where if you are American, and someone says there ancestor was on the Mayflower, you should immediately say "me too" because unless you know that all of your ancestors were recent immigrants, you will be descended from one of the pilgrims. It is like that.

What happened to Leto is that he formed a pact with a strong willed ancestral memory, who used to be a Pharoah, much like Alia formed a pact with the Baron to control the inner multitude. The difference is Leto was able to control it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
The problem with the ancestral memory is you get the memories up to the time they had their last kid, so for all the women you only get the memories from like half their lives? And maybe the whole life of a dude if he was still going at it till he died. But what about all those smart people who never scored, all those bitter bitter memories lost forever.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 26, 2018

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

That’s incelstral memory, different thing.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Anne Frank Funk posted:

That’s incelstral memory, different thing.

Incelstral Memory - U
Instant
Draw 0 cards.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

exmachina posted:

You know that thing where if you are American, and someone says there ancestor was on the Mayflower, you should immediately say "me too" because unless you know that all of your ancestors were recent immigrants, you will be descended from one of the pilgrims.

I don't think that's a thing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

whydirt posted:

Incelstral Memory - U
Instant
Draw 0 cards.

This card cannot be tapped.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ratatozsk posted:

holky gently caress

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ratatozsk posted:

:vince:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zartosht posted:

I don't think that's a thing.

Not sure about the Mayflower thing but everyone of European descent is related to Charlemagne: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2013/05/07/charlemagnes-dna-and-our-universal-royalty/

quote:

The most recent common ancestor of every European today (except for recent immigrants to the Continent) was someone who lived in Europe in the surprisingly recent past—only about 600 years ago. In other words, all Europeans alive today have among their ancestors the same man or woman who lived around 1400. Before that date, according to Chang’s model, the number of ancestors common to all Europeans today increased, until, about a thousand years ago, a peculiar situation prevailed: 20 percent of the adult Europeans alive in 1000 would turn out to be the ancestors of no one living today (that is, they had no children or all their descendants eventually died childless); each of the remaining 80 percent would turn out to be a direct ancestor of every European living today.

And if you go back 3400 years, everyone is related to everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded how apparently every single US president is descended from King James II, except for Martin Van Buren.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ratatozsk posted:

:ck5:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Stuck in the Banding zone

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not sure about the Mayflower thing but everyone of European descent is related to Charlemagne: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2013/05/07/charlemagnes-dna-and-our-universal-royalty/

And if you go back 3400 years, everyone is related to everyone.

I mean, if you go back far enough, we're related to things that aren't even mammals.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Q: What does a Fremen Reverend Mother eat for lunch?
A: a sand witch

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Reading through the originals again, first time in about a decade or so (I don't think I ever actually finished Heretics or Chapterhouse in a meaningful way), and just got through Messiah.

As always I enjoyed the first one. I just love the depth of it and that everything seems exotic and interesting as opposed to tropey or fan service. I liked Frank's commentary on power, politics, etc. Really good stuff.

I found Messiah a lot better half remembering what the idea behind it was, as opposed to the first time I read it I knew I was underwhelmed. For example, I ended up really liking God Emperor, so this time around I'm trying to pay more attention to where Frank is going with the nature of prescience and Paul's visioning. Hoping to pick up more on the details.

I will admit I wish Frank was a bit better at holding tension in some key moments. Paul's battle at the end of Dune, Chani's giving birth and Scytale at the end of Messiah..it is always rushed and not paced well

I can already tell that reading the books with this perspective will make Children more enjoyable as well, but I got the audiobook in an Audible free trial to experience it a bit differently.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 29, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Crazyweasel posted:

I can already tell that reading the books with this perspective will make Children more enjoyable as well, but I got the audiobook in an Audible free trial to experience it a bit differently.

Who's narrating?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Who's narrating?

Their Dune audio books have a bunch of people on them, though the budget runs out pretty fast in the later books.

Here's main guy doing the poem from the end of Messiah http://tindeck.com/listen/wvcuq

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 29, 2018

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

In Children it is Simon Vance so far.

I liked his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo narration, but it is funny to now hear vague English and Eastern European accents on the characters.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune audiobook: Radio Play sized cast, it's actually really well done and kind of great.

Dune Messiah and Children: One main guy, one girl, and an off-guy who only occasionally says a line.

rest: it's one guy doing all the voices.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

rest: it's one guy doing all the voices.

This can work but the actor has to be one of those people with a big repertoire. If they don't have that it's more just like "sigh, here he goes with that accent again."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

This can work but the actor has to be one of those people with a big repertoire. If they don't have that it's more just like "sigh, here he goes with that accent again."

In God Emperor, his Leto II is really loving good tbh. It sounds exactly like a nobleman encased in a worm body for 3,000 years. Terse, impatient, terminally bored. It's good.

but the cast of God Emperor is very small, so the one guy gets away with it just fine. Him doing Sionna and Miles Teg AND Odrade AND Theresa, etc. is kind of grating and i don't have heretics on book anymore, it's the main reason i haven't finished heretics yet.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
Does anyone else think that the Machine Thinking of Dune was partially inspired by Marx's theory of Commodity Fetishism? Specifically, the reification of a social relationship between people into a material relationship between things. If there is a dominant trend in the sorts of thinking that are rejected by the Jihad, it appears to be the idea of treating people as things occupying a specialized purpose, rather than as people that can act outside of the reified boxes that they are placed in by machine thinking, which seems to have some similarities to Marx's understanding.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What is the significance of the Guild Navigator's dialogue in the opening of the Lynch film:

quote:

We have just folded space from Ix. Many machines on Ix. New machines. Better than those on Richesse.

Cursory searching suggests it's actually from a later book in the series (I haven't read Dune in years, can't recall) but in any case what's the point of bringing that up to the Emperor? Weren't thinking machines purged long before the events of the books? Is it meant to imply that certain world's in the Empire are falling into decadence?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
ix eventually develops machines that can fold space without spice/prescience which fucks the guild. it could be a nod to that with the navigator warning him that he knows theyre working on it and to cut that poo poo out.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Cursory searching suggests it's actually from a later book in the series (I haven't read Dune in years, can't recall) but in any case what's the point of bringing that up to the Emperor? Weren't thinking machines purged long before the events of the books? Is it meant to imply that certain world's in the Empire are falling into decadence?

I saw that as a threat from the Guild that the Emperor had better not threaten Spice Production with his plan with the Harkonnen, and that the guild has access to Ixian machines that could somehow threaten the Emperor's military superiority. The emperor is dependant on the Guild and the first scene makes it clear that they call the shots in the relationship.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ix is mentioned off hand from the get go. It's a world where they've been skirting the butlerian jihad for a long time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That whole navigator sequence is my favourite part of the Lynch film by far. It’s really cool.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

priznat posted:

That whole navigator sequence is my favourite part of the Lynch film by far. It’s really cool.

Mine too with one minor exception of "House Atreides is raising an army that uses SPACE MAGIC" line which always makes me cringe. Other than that, the set, the costumes, the actors and of course the navigator are all brilliant.

The movie falls apart after Caladan for me until the final confrontation between Paul and :heysexy: Sting.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 29, 2018

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The 'water of life vending machine' scene in the extended cut is pretty cool, but yeah the whole opening scene is probably my favourite part of the film as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That freaky alarm noise that clears out the court before the Navigator-pod rolls up is great and makes you feel anxious right off the bat.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yadoppsi posted:

I'm taking the opportunity by being assigned an outbuilding at work to listen to audio performances of the first four Dune books. One thing that I remembered I also didn't understand when I read the books the first time is what exactly is going on with the Dune tarot in Dune Messiah? Is it ever really explained how it's blocking prescient or who's bringing it onto arrakis?

My interpretation was that it is literally tarot cards, maybe brought in intentionally or just back in popularity because the word had spread about Muad'Dib's prescience and others now believe in it.

Either way the fact that so many people are using them and exhibiting some low level of prescience by using tarot cards muddles Paul's vision

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Crazyweasel posted:

My interpretation was that it is literally tarot cards, maybe brought in intentionally or just back in popularity because the word had spread about Muad'Dib's prescience and others now believe in it.

Either way the fact that so many people are using them and exhibiting some low level of prescience by using tarot cards muddles Paul's vision

That was cool as hell when I first read it and it made me think of Paul Atreides and Edric sitting on some cosmic background staring at a chess table and neither of them ever making a move.

On a related note, I read a pretty good interview here that talks about the Dune Tarot. Herbert says he built one (and no doubt there's been some unofficial ones) but they must have been some limited edition thing in the 70s or w/e because I never found one. It would be cool as hell to have, not even as just a collector item, but they might not've had the kind of traction a full-on franchise gets nowadays.

quote:

Frank Herbert: You know what the Tarot deck is?

Willis McNelly: Oh, of course, yes.

FH: Ok.

WM: Oh, I’ve missed that.

FH: I built a Dune Tarot into it and it’s hot right now.

WM: Yes.

FH: And I was just thinking economically they ought to capitalize on it.

WM: Oh, sure, why not. A Dune Tarot. Well. See, I teach Yeats and Eliot and so on…

FH: Of course, yes.

WM: In fact, I-I own my own private deck.

FH: Yes. WE have one. It’s my contention that if you immerse a society in a great deal of what we call fortune telling, you know, that you cloud the whole process…you see what happened in classic times in Greek myth…historic times, when the oracle was…had terrifying accuracy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The Bene Gesserit witch must leave.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

basic hitler posted:

it's the main reason i haven't finished heretics yet.

...my god....

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i mean, i read heretics way back in the day as a teenager but yeah, i'm still slogging thru this audio book and i started not too long after i made this thread.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

i mean, i read heretics way back in the day as a teenager but yeah, i'm still slogging thru this audio book and i started not too long after i made this thread.

Reading it might go faster in that case.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Mister Speaker posted:

What is the significance of the Guild Navigator's dialogue in the opening of the Lynch film:

It's a posthuman prescient manatee man's attempt at having smalltalk with the Emperor of the Known Universe. It's hilarious.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We have just folded space from Ix, and boy is my brain tired!!!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It means Ix just superseded Richese you gatdang heathens. Argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
that line struck me as demonstrating that when the navigator shows up, even the emperor of the known universe has to politely listen to him prattle on about whatever dumb bullshit crosses through his misshapen brain