Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I have to work all weekend so I scheduled a nice, easy half day today. Now due to other peoples ineptitude I get to sit in traffic again and waste half my day doing things they should have organised. Frown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Today I drove two Mitsubishi Pajeros back to back (aka diesel Monteros), one being a 4 door automatic and the other being a 1989 2 door manual. They both have the exact same engine.
The difference between the two of them is pretty incredible, the 4 door one is slow as a motherfucker, smooth as hell and real comfortable but give it just a little bit of throttle and the 2.5 liter engine downshifts to try to give you the acceleration you are after, which it doesn't do because lmao less that 100 hp. The 2 door one, however, is quick and far more zippy. Shift when you want and you can ring all the power and acceleration out of it that you can.

The extra weight plus the automatic just obliterates the speed you can get out of the engine.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I know there's a lot of tech people in here, so maybe you can shed some light on this, because I'm being driven insane by MSWord (2003, SP3).

At some point, I used Cambria for the font in this document. I have since been told to use TNR. I hit ctrl+A, change the font to TNR. Every now and then I'll delete something and WHOOPS LET ME MAKE THAT WHOLE PARAGRAPH CAMBRIA AGAIN THERE FOR YA BUD. Like there's some random character hidden around in Cambria.... Bitch don't you know what the hell select all means? Not some of the words, all of them you gently caress, and change them to the font like I asked.

Area man angry at computer program. News at 11.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I just saw Evil Scarecrow and it was awesome. These guys are like the UK's low budget version of GWAR.

If you like songs about robotic crab overlords, and enjoy scuttling left-right with your crab hands in the air whilst being sprayed with fake snow and confetti cannons (in a 300 cap venue on a school night too!) then check them out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

I know there's a lot of tech people in here, so maybe you can shed some light on this, because I'm being driven insane by MSWord (2003, SP3).

At some point, I used Cambria for the font in this document. I have since been told to use TNR. I hit ctrl+A, change the font to TNR. Every now and then I'll delete something and WHOOPS LET ME MAKE THAT WHOLE PARAGRAPH CAMBRIA AGAIN THERE FOR YA BUD. Like there's some random character hidden around in Cambria.... Bitch don't you know what the hell select all means? Not some of the words, all of them you gently caress, and change them to the font like I asked.

Have you tried to copy paste all the text into a new document, set to the font you want and then save as over the old file?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Go to Format -> Font and see if Cambria is selected as the default font? Word just sort of does things according to some arcane machinations, I and my entirely legal copy of Word 2000 have come to an uneasy understanding.

https://twitter.com/gossipgriII/status/713425874167537664

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BraveUlysses posted:

Have you tried to copy paste all the text into a new document, set to the font you want and then save as over the old file?

To quote our eloquent leader: "Sounds good, doesn't work." :/

redgubbinz posted:

Go to Format -> Font and see if Cambria is selected as the default font? Word just sort of does things according to some arcane machinations, I and my entirely legal copy of Word 2000 have come to an uneasy understanding.

https://twitter.com/gossipgriII/status/713425874167537664

It wasn't, but it was set to something else. I changed it to TNR. Let's see if that works.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Isn't OpenOffice or something probably better than a 15 year old version of Word?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Probably, but I can count the number of times I've used Word at home in the last 5 years on one hand.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

Isn't OpenOffice or something probably better than a 15 year old version of Word?

No unfortunately.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ExplodingSims posted:

But I really, really hated Las Vegas and I'm glad to be out.
We had a guy from the install team move to Las Vegas to be with his girlfriend. He lasted a week and a half before we couldn't stand it anymore and moved back. Group took pity on him and gave him his old job back.

T-Square posted:

One of my friends has NEVER had coffee in his life, and refuses to try it even once. How do you know you don't like it if you've never tried it?
I never drank coffee until my wife moved in then started having a cup on weekends. Now I do my 1.5-2 cups in the morning before work.

Elmnt80 posted:

Fell asleep around 4 am, boss called me at 7 am because the safe at work was $80 short. The boss is now aware that I can go from dead asleep in my bed to wide awake and walking through the back door at work in under 10 minutes if he says the right thing. The cherry is he missed the info on his paperwork, I was exactly where I should be. :v:
Being on-call 2-3 weeks a month for the past 10 years has me conditioned to wake up and be ready to go right away. Nothing like a midnight call with the customer listing problems to wake you up quick.

freelop posted:

You also get a sense of satisfaction when you cross things off. It might sound silly but it can be quite motivational and ensures you break the points down enough
Crossing things off a list is such a simple thing but so satisfying. Hell, toss some simple things on there that'll be quick to knock out so you can cross some things off.

Pup is used to getting up at 4:30 EST with me during the week, dogs don't understand time zones so I haven't slept past 3:30 central all vacation. I get some gaming in and sleep another hour or so on the couch before wife gets up. There's a little beach a 2-3 minute walk from the house so we took Finn down to see what he thought. He loved it, splashed around in the water and rolled around in the sand. He's one happy pup

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

QuarkMartial posted:

To quote our eloquent leader: "Sounds good, doesn't work." :/

It wasn't, but it was set to something else. I changed it to TNR. Let's see if that works.

My go-to for removing weird formatting is to copy/paste it into Notepad, and then back out. Notepad removes all formatting.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

ExplodingSims posted:

What is not terrible however, is the view from the backyard here:

You're living in my grandparents' old neighborhood. They lived there from the 50's till the 90's. I have great memories from that part of town, including cathedral park as almost seen in your photo. Congrats on the move, I can't wait to move back there myself.

Hah. Just from that picture I was able to zero in on your exact house in google maps. Don't worry no dox but drat.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 26, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Modus Man posted:

Our internet (4g LTE home service for us backwoods bumblefucks) has not been working for a week. I spent the whole morning on the phone with customer support going over all the steps to try to fix it, which I already tried during the week before calling, with no results. They say there’s nothing left to do but send a technician to the house, for a measly fee of a minimum of $150. And I’ll have to take half a day off waiting for them to arrive. And I already pay $120 a month for 24 gigs of data.

gently caress me! No, wait, gently caress them! I’m looking into just living off of our phones for internet now.

Find a WISP, I work for one and life in BFE and we provide for the entire area around me and the county, which is the size of some small eastern states.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fermented Tinal posted:

So a couple nights ago this appeared in my mailbox. Made from Pepper X and Chocolate Pepper X.

:swoon:

everdave posted:

AND...7 freaking weeks and no title on the Majesta. They are telling me it could take up to 12 weeks total now WTF! I have always had car titles in TN come within 2 weeks.

It took 6 loving months to get the title to New Saturn.

... loving dealer has had it sitting on the owner's desk all this time (finally found that out 2 weeks ago, we were assured the state would mail it directly to us), and the fuckers put a lien on it too, when we paid cash (signed off on the title to remove it, but didn't file the paperwork with the state, and said they never do since they're a BHPH lot :fuckoff:). Going by the dates on the title, they didn't even file for the title for 7 weeks after we paid for the car.

I've filed a complaint with the state over this, I've been calling them (dealer) for loving months (and even went in person a couple of times) trying to get them off their asses to get us the title.

Powershift posted:

I'm not in Austin, but Row52 shows a whole bunch of yards in your area https://row52.com/Yards/

Thanks for that. Though "2" doesn't count as a whole bunch. There's just LKQ Pick Your Part, and Wrench-A-Part. Looks like Wrench-A-Part only has sedans, while LKQ has a couple of coupes. Everything else is at least an hour away (looks like there's 4 yards up near Temple, but again, that's a good hour+ drive).

I need to find a new spoiler, and some coupe-specific body trim.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No unfortunately.

I miss WordPerfect.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Demolition of the old house supposedly starts TODAY! Super stoked to be rid of that mildewy shitpile. Regrettably they're not using a wrecking ball, but I'm daydreaming that they are.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Any good weekend plans? Who's dressing up for Halloween? Who's ready for all the titles to go back to normal?

The correct answer to that last one is nobody

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm considering just putting on my ragged sneakers, tatty cargo pants and battlevest, throwing some death and thrash metal on the stereo at full blast, and opening the doors while chugging cheap beer.

See if I can time a juicy burp right in some poor kids' faces.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I went and got some good quality meats from the local butcher to grind my own burgs. God I love a good burg. Then the shop was out of the good buns. Then something went wrong with my grinding.

My burg was extremely unsatisfactory. Oh well, chin up, drink some whisky, make a better burg next time.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

slothrop posted:

I went and got some good quality meats from the local butcher to grind my own burgs. God I love a good burg. Then the shop was out of the good buns. Then something went wrong with my grinding.

My burg was extremely unsatisfactory. Oh well, chin up, drink some whisky, make a better burg next time.

Probably much better than most of us could do.

This is a great time to mention MEAT MEET 6 at my place next weekend! (03NOV) If you're close to Richmond VA and want to grill with a bunch of nerdy shut-ins all day come on by. PM for deets.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm considering just putting on my ragged sneakers, tatty cargo pants and battlevest, throwing some death and thrash metal on the stereo at full blast, and opening the doors while chugging cheap beer.

See if I can time a juicy burp right in some poor kids' faces.

So a standard Friday then

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grakkus posted:

So a standard Friday then

Pretty much, yeah.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Help me. I can't stop watching Little Big music videos. I don't even like the music.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Any good weekend plans?

Probably watch some college football and swap out a headlight assembly. And fuckin' sleep since I didn't get much last night. Or the night before. Dunno why the kid suddenly wakes up at like 2-3 am now screaming when she was doing like 10-12 hour stretches before.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

slothrop posted:

Help me. I can't stop watching Little Big music videos. I don't even like the music.

YOU TOO

I'm learning the loving dance.

For those playing along at home (very mildly NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFBTdToRmw

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

Probably watch some college football and swap out a headlight assembly. And fuckin' sleep since I didn't get much last night. Or the night before. Dunno why the kid suddenly wakes up at like 2-3 am now screaming when she was doing like 10-12 hour stretches before.

How's the collarbone doing? Is it going to heal on its own, or do you need some hardware?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slothrop posted:

Man, I wish I A) had space for a kitchenaid mixer and B) had a kitchenaid mixer and a grinder attachment. I wanna make my own burgs. :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Real talk, it's worth making space for.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You can make insanely good burgs with regular 80/20 ground beef if you make smash burgs

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Flew in to San Diego on Wednesday and we went full tourist and rented a convertible (mentioned previously). Ended up with a choice between a Camaro or a mustang. Chose the Mustang and it was definitely the better choice. With 17k miles it looks to be holding up great and I was happy to find it was the ecoboost 4. It makes a great intake noise and turbo whoosh sounds normally relegated to traditional “ricers” coming from a mustang is great. What surprised me was was it had a ten speed transmission:aslol: and you have the full chassis settings for sport driving, track, drag strip, comfort etc etc. It kicks rear end. Two other things: air conditioned seats to chill your balls and apple CarPlay are really excellent.

I think I like mustangs now guys :gay:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

How's the collarbone doing? Is it going to heal on its own, or do you need some hardware?

Doc said it looks like it's getting there as of a couple weeks ago. Follow up on Tuesday to get another xray and blah blah blah. Feels alright and isn't moving and popping anymore, so I think there's some bone growth. :v: Probably start PT soon. I can lift my arm up currently but there's some tingling and tightness to work out yet.

In hind sight I think I should have gotten the surgery ASAP and have been done with it.

BraveUlysses posted:

You can make insanely good burgs with regular 80/20 ground beef if you make smash burgs

I make turkey burgers only at this point. :colbert: I know they aren't as good (See parks and rec clip about it, :lol:) but will still order beef burgs out. Still, turkey burg is a good substitute and I don't miss using beef instead for that and tacos, lasagna, etc. Hopefully my heart will explode a little less soon now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Guys, guys... the US Government made a non-terrible decision... I don't know what to think anymore.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xw9bwd/1201-exemptions-right-to-repair

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Flew in to San Diego on Wednesday and we went full tourist and rented a convertible (mentioned previously). Ended up with a choice between a Camaro or a mustang. Chose the Mustang and it was definitely the better choice. With 17k miles it looks to be holding up great and I was happy to find it was the ecoboost 4. It makes a great intake noise and turbo whoosh sounds normally relegated to traditional “ricers” coming from a mustang is great. What surprised me was was it had a ten speed transmission:aslol: and you have the full chassis settings for sport driving, track, drag strip, comfort etc etc. It kicks rear end. Two other things: air conditioned seats to chill your balls and apple CarPlay are really excellent.

I think I like mustangs now guys :gay:

nothing wrong with that!

we're going to SD around new years and the kiddo gets to go on her first airplane ride and she's already so excited to go

Suburban Dad posted:

I make turkey burgers only at this point. :colbert: I know they aren't as good (See parks and rec clip about it, :lol:) but will still order beef burgs out. Still, turkey burg is a good substitute and I don't miss using beef instead for that and tacos, lasagna, etc. Hopefully my heart will explode a little less soon now.

i can see it being an OK substitute in tacos but never for burgers. never.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Any good weekend plans?

Working. :sigh:

We're doing Six Flags Fright Fest on Halloween, but that's going to be a sea of long lines. Probably should have done it this past weekend, but we did House of Torment instead (which was loving great).

I don't know why the gently caress I'm even awake right now. Woke up with a bunch of energy. Vacuumed the entire apartment (which required emptying the canister 3 times :barf:), did some cleaning, gonna nuke some breakfast. Then probably lay back down for a little bit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Guys, guys... the US Government made a non-terrible decision... I don't know what to think anymore.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xw9bwd/1201-exemptions-right-to-repair

Even in hell world, librarians are Cool and Good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

nothing wrong with that!

we're going to SD around new years and the kiddo gets to go on her first airplane ride and she's already so excited to go

i can see it being an OK substitute in tacos but never for burgers. never.

like I said it's no contest which is better tasting, but it's not like you're eating soy burgers or something. For burgers they just get a little too dry since there isn't much fat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Gonna spray the van with fluid film to maintain that perfect "nothing of value in here" patina while still trying to avoid its inevitable decay for a few more years.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Don't know if you guys get it in the great US of A since A&W's Canadian and US operations have been independent since the 70's but they have a beyond meat burger that's plant based and I swear it's way better than it has any right to be.

It's the first non-meat burger that I've tried that not only wasn't a poor imitation but was genuinely good and tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Finally got our septic permit approved for a standard drain field! All I had to do was pay an excavator to come out to the property 4 times, and eventually hire an environmental engineer, but it’s done. $250 for a permit, $2000 in excavating (digging 10-14’ deep holes to check soil) and $1500 for the engineer to come out and say “dig here” and do the drawing for the application. $3750 total but it will save me about $20,000 compared to having to do an engineered field with pumps ($15,000 standard vs $35,000 engineered)

Next up is a soil erosion permit from the county and their checklist for the application is ridiculously detailed. Then a building permit, it’s at least within sight now.

• Locked thread