Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Fitted sheets. Why do they have to be such an exact fit? Make that poo poo 5% oversized so I can just slip it on instead of having to slowly work it on over the course of 20 minutes. Every time I change my sheets I end up pissed off.

I'd rather just have two flat sheets but bed sheet sets are never sold that way, so I'd have to buy twice as many sets and have a bunch of fitted sheets and pillowcases I never use.

Flat sheets are useless, and every time I buy a bedding set I get a useless 4 square meters of fabric I have to store, repurpose, or throw away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mlnhd posted:

Flat sheets are useless, and every time I buy a bedding set I get a useless 4 square meters of fabric I have to store, repurpose, or throw away.

Learn to make hospital corners you noob

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Brawnfire posted:

Oh my God, cart corraling was the worst part of working at a trader Joe's. Across the plaza, across the street and upside-down at a bus stop, halfway up a snowbank, etc.

One of my sons had cart corraling as his first job in high school. I always make a habit of returning my cart and also snagging one from the cart corral on my way in (if I need one). Doesn't even take any extra effort.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Extra double version of the very common "dog off leash" peeve:

I've got a neighbour whose lovely ugly mongrel dog will actually come out of a hole in the fence and nip at people, and bark, and run up and down the street.

I'd forgive a hole in the fence, it happens. But this poo poo has been going on for weeks if not a month by now. And nothing has changed. There is no way you couldn't notice. Dogs get sad when their people leave and get hella excited when their people come back, and will definitely charge out of fence holes to follow/greet them. This also happens at all hours so it seems like whoever has this thing very rarely lets it in the house. What if a car hits your dog, rear end in a top hat?

I shouldn't blame the very ugly, annoying dog, it's the shitter who owns it. But still.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I do my work to deadlines, then hand it in to my client who has their own deadlines. My peeve is when my client gives me work and asks, "When do you think you could have this done?" Tell me when you need it, drat you!

They said I could postpone one of my regular work deliveries this week: "Just let me know when you want to turn that in. We are waaaaay ahead of schedule on that project, so no rush." Well, poo poo, I'll take weeks if you'll let me.

e: but of course my dumb rear end is still rushing to get it done this week, and even considered jumping through hoops to get it done by the usual deadline. :doh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Extra double version of the very common "dog off leash" peeve:

I've got a neighbour whose lovely ugly mongrel dog will actually come out of a hole in the fence and nip at people, and bark, and run up and down the street.

I'd forgive a hole in the fence, it happens. But this poo poo has been going on for weeks if not a month by now. And nothing has changed. There is no way you couldn't notice. Dogs get sad when their people leave and get hella excited when their people come back, and will definitely charge out of fence holes to follow/greet them. This also happens at all hours so it seems like whoever has this thing very rarely lets it in the house. What if a car hits your dog, rear end in a top hat?

I shouldn't blame the very ugly, annoying dog, it's the shitter who owns it. But still.

This is why I like my neighbours - they have 3 small yappy dogs who are very territorial, even seeing me at my kitchen window sets them off barking like mad, but he always takes them in when they get like that. This is nice for when I do gardening because otherwise they'd not stop barking. Also the fence was starting to weaken and was buckling quite badly where the dogs were throwing themselves at it, and the neighbours actually replaced the fence with a much stronger one on their own dime.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Zipper merge properly you pricks. Just because you drive a porche or a big metallic wang doesn't mean you can drive like an rear end in a top hat.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I got new heels and they’re super comfy but they clang and clatter so! drat! loud! any time I walk on non-carpeted floor. It’s making me self conscious. Why does this happen with some shoes and not others?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mlnhd posted:

Flat sheets are useless
What do you sleep under when it's too warm for a doona?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

A comforter????

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A comforter????

That is a doona.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Ghost sounds"

Part of the thing that's scary about ghosts to me is the way they're all silent. Making them go all "Wwoooohhhh" and "oooonnnnnnn" and poo poo ruins it for me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

That is a doona.

Sorry, I speak english, and also your "doona" is cooler than a sheet. When things get toasty you abandon the sheet and keep the "doona."

Also, apple podcast app. Every iteration of it has just gotten worse.

"Two icons per line in a big list to scroll through, that is how I like my media!" "No easily-accessible way to choose whether I want episodes to play newest-to-oldest or vice versa, in an era where shitloads of fictional stories with beginnings and ends are told via podcast! Bombard me with the newest one and make it a pain in the rear end to scroll back to the first, and by default frankly if I listen all through the first then don't play the second, just end it"- no one anywhere ever

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sorry, I speak english, and also your "doona" is cooler than a sheet.
A doona, quilt, comforter, duvet, whatever you call it is thicker, heavier and warmer than a sheet. That's the whole point of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

A doona, quilt, comforter, duvet, whatever you call it is thicker, heavier and warmer than a sheet. That's the whole point of it.

It’s thicker, but not as warm.

That or I’m a pleb that has slept with crappy bedspreads my whole life (very possible)

E: Also quilts, comforters, and duvets are different things you rascal

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tiggum posted:

nothing?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s thicker, but not as warm.

That or I’m a pleb that has slept with crappy bedspreads my whole life (very possible)

E: Also quilts, comforters, and duvets are different things you rascal

Depends where you're from. Doona is Aussie for duvet. However Brits will call a duvet a Quilt as it's short for Continental Quilt. This is different from quilts that are 3 layers of fabric sown together in a pattern that can also be known as bedspreads. You don't usually use a top sheet under a duvet/doona because you use a removable duvet cover.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Zipper merge properly you pricks. Just because you drive a porche or a big metallic wang doesn't mean you can drive like an rear end in a top hat.

When my apartment sent out a mass email to slow down in the parking garage I thought it was for me because my car sounds semi aggressive. Today I’m leaving and some jackass in a bmw is 2 feet off my bumper tailing me. In a parking garage. He then peeled out around me as soon as we got out to an opening. The opening is closer to a courtyard than a road and people walk their dogs out there all the time. I don’t normally get road rage but I wanted to drag that little rear end in a top hat out of his car. This whole lovely banker town I live in is filled with kids driving their dads G Wagon reckless as poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doona balls

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I sleep under just a top sheet year round because my house has heating. There's no way the sheet is warmer than a comforter because it's just a sheet of cotton the same thickness as the fitted sheet.

To me, the difference between a comforter and a duvet/doona is that duvets have the sides sewn together to make a bag sort of thing. They aren't really a thing here and I've never seen one outside of pictures on the Internet.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
My pet peeve right now is that you guys make sleeping sound more complicated than it has any right to be.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Didn't we cover this in like, 1999?

https://youtu.be/CWRTqMGvdpc

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Digital store pricing.
I live in Norway, so prices are in NOK.
A ~60usd AAA game on consoles will be around 600kr.

I was curious about considering picking up Red Dead Redemption 2.
Buying it digitally on the ps4 is apparently 700kr. (85usd)
(Even though for example Spider-Man was 600kr.)
Meanwhile, the physical version can be gotten in stores for 490kr.
That's a 210kr difference. ( 25usd. )

Why is it that the least valuable version of the game, where they get the largest margins, is also the most expensive version of the game?

If I got it physically, I would be able to sell it on whenever I was done with it.

I'm so used to PC gaming, where you can easily and regularly get games 10-20% off around release, with deeper discounts quickly hitting after launch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When people leave extra spaces at the end of lines in Word documents and similar. I guess they just compulsively hit space after a full stop, and it's invisible so they don't notice it or care. But if I then have to come along and edit that document, I'm going to notice it and it's going to annoy me to the point that I have to go through the whole thing looking for and removing them.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

When people leave extra spaces at the end of lines in Word documents and similar. I guess they just compulsively hit space after a full stop, and it's invisible so they don't notice it or care. But if I then have to come along and edit that document, I'm going to notice it and it's going to annoy me to the point that I have to go through the whole thing looking for and removing them.

People who press enter multiple times to get to a new page on Word can all die in a fire.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

gently caress people who drive giant goddamn trucks in the city because they're insecure suburbanite manchildren who think an f450 makes them look rugged and manly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SubNat posted:

Digital store pricing.
I live in Norway, so prices are in NOK.
A ~60usd AAA game on consoles will be around 600kr.

I was curious about considering picking up Red Dead Redemption 2.
Buying it digitally on the ps4 is apparently 700kr. (85usd)
(Even though for example Spider-Man was 600kr.)
Meanwhile, the physical version can be gotten in stores for 490kr.
That's a 210kr difference. ( 25usd. )

Why is it that the least valuable version of the game, where they get the largest margins, is also the most expensive version of the game?

If I got it physically, I would be able to sell it on whenever I was done with it.

I'm so used to PC gaming, where you can easily and regularly get games 10-20% off around release, with deeper discounts quickly hitting after launch.

IIRC it's to keep physical retailers happy so they don't stop selling physical copies of console games like they did with PC games.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

IIRC it's to keep physical retailers happy so they don't stop selling physical copies of console games like they did with PC games.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why some games are the same price between digital and physical, while others, like RDR2 in this case is significantly more expensive compared to MSRP.

The primary thing I'm annoyed is that the msrp for physical stores, for this -specific- title is 600 vs 700 for digital.
If they were 1:1 I would be less annoyed, since for most games there will only be a small difference. (Like with Spider-Man, which is 530vs600.)
(I think FFXV was more too, but I can't rememeber. But the difference wasn't as major.)

A couple other playstation titles also give bonus DLC stuff for the standard digital version to make up for the price difference, without lowering the price.
(Detroit:Become Human gave you Heavy Rain alongside the purchase, for example. )

With Rockstar doing this you have to pay a significant premium just to get the least valuable version of the game.
And due to this being pretty game specific, it's not physical retailers' fault.

But eh, just another reason not to get the game I suppose.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

Hit Ctrl-H to open Find and Replace; find two spaces and replace with one. Keep hitting Replace All until they're all gone.

You can do the same for extra carriage returns; search for ^p^p (two carriage returns) and replace with ^p (or replace with nothing if you know for sure these are only at the end of the document.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The fact that it annoys Tiggum makes me all the more insistent that I keep putting two spaces after punctuation in all the official documents I write. Sometimes I forget when I'm posting but I try to keep it consistent.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The fact that it annoys Tiggum makes me all the more insistent that I keep putting two spaces after punctuation in all the official documents I write. Sometimes I forget when I'm posting but I try to keep it consistent.

Is that not normal? I’ve been doing it for everything my entire life.

E: Is it autocorrected to one here??

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Rolo posted:

It's the way I was taught to type so I'm sticking with it. Apparently it annoys some people now, but I can't imagine why. I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference unless I was specifically looking for it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rolo posted:

It depends when you learned how to type and who taught you. It’s a carry over from typewriters.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's "correct", but the kind of "correct" that hasn't actually been so for at least the last 30 years.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

It's "correct", but the kind of "correct" that hasn't actually been so for at least the last 30 years.

Well, actually, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29691763?dopt=Abstract

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's to improve readability on typewriters where everything is monospaced. On a computer there's no reason to do it because typesetting stuff should be handled for you. You don't put two spaces between sentences for the same reason you don't press return at the end of each line.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Hit Ctrl-H to open Find and Replace; find two spaces and replace with one. Keep hitting Replace All until they're all gone.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The fact that it annoys Tiggum makes me all the more insistent that I keep putting two spaces after punctuation in all the official documents I write.
No, that's not what I'm talking about. It's at the end of lines. Like this:

This_is_a_normal_paragraph.

This_one_has_an_extra_space_at_the_end._

Rolo posted:

Here and on pretty much every website. You need to use a non-breaking space if you want two spaces to show up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well hot drat I learned something today.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snapchat stopped returning to the camera screen automatically for me. Now I have to wait for it to load fully and hit the button to get to the screen, an extra second or two that keeps costing me prime Snapchat opportunities! Surely this is worth complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
There is no worse feeling than eavesdropping on someone who is wrong about something. You really want to step in and drop knowledge, but you can't because YOU'D be the rude one, sheesh.

Double worse if they're being a real wang about it. Like all arrogant and hostile and incorrect. Fffff.