Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Having some fun times in my Wessex game.

My son and heir got married to a count's daughter. Count and his three sons die, she inherits, my son moves over to her court. No problem.

He has a child (my grandson) who becomes my new heir. He also gets excommunicated somehow (really weird since he had 4 virtues) and gets burned at the stake by his new duke. Meanwhile his son is a literal garbage character, with a level 1 learning education and no attribute higher than 4. He's also welsh, which doesn't go over well in Anglo-Saxon Wessex when I die a few years later.

I immediately have 3 separate murder plots against me. One by my genius uncle (and heir), another by my second uncle, and third by my aunt. I don't live long thankfully and my genius uncle takes over.

Things are going well for a while, until my youngest brother's wife becomes ambitious and has a plot to kill me. She didn't live long, but her plot was replaced by my brother's. He also met an unfortunate accident. Now my other brother and sister both have plots to kill me. My brother is married to a dutchess in Pictland, so I can't force him to cut it out and I end up killing him. My sister is married to some count in Northumbria, but I get some murderers over to her as well.

I've been lucky. No schemes have been found out, so I'm neither dishonourable or a kinslayer. But now my last sister is plotting to kill me. I get a 540% plot chance to kill her, and she survives 8 assassination attempts. A few were found out, unfortunately, but I've also survived her two attempts. She eventually falls off the balcony and I'm in the clear for a couple more years when a nun wants to take a walk through the garden. Whoops, she's actually Death. This is the first time I've seen this event as a genius, so the genius moves got me a win. Didn't have to cheat or trade-in a child either.

So now my dynasty is mostly dead, I've defeated the Grim Reaper, I'm well loved within and outside the realm. What can go wrong?
It's now year 7 of a slow fever epidemic in Wessex that's taken most of my family. It doesn't spread, it doesn't leave, it just sits there killing everyone in my court.

I would just move the capital if you can, I think the game is telling you something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I know that Holy Fury is giving us a revamped crusade system, but does that mean that there will be a new jihad system as well? I'm pretty sure that they're the same thing with different flavors at present, will it stay that way or will Catholics exclusively get the new stuff?

There is some implication that the Crusade rework will apply to other religions Great Holy Wars as well, but it's not clear whether it's a case of "we're also updating the UI for them" or "Jihads and GHW will use the Crusade system"

I suspect that at least some of the new features are Crusade-specific, as a balance against Crusades being harder for a player to control and to encourage the Pope-based pagan reform option

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've finally installed the better garbs mod, and while it didn't do too much for the garbs, it has a lot of other amusing features, like really odd looking scars and injuries, crazy eyes for insane characters, and (finally!) a mask for blinded characters.

The new image backgrounds are a bit much, but overall I like it. It also appears to have replaced all the ugly Muslim portraits in the game with a slightly darker version of the Iberian portrait set, which I'm ambivalent about. Apparently I've become attached to the ugly ones. I also like that I can now give other characters a better haircut.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

"This is medieval Europe's most foolish realm. Why does Artemios, the largest emperor, not simply eat the others?"

:stare:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What mod is that? I don't recognise the religion and government.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Several pages ago there was a guy asking about good starts and I have one that I started a couple days ago that's been a good time. The 769 Count of Marrakech is Very Good because you are Shia (a minority at this start date) and Berber (which is a culture that allows you to raid any neighboring heretics, which includes everybody you start near). You also start as tribal with a coastal province, so you can choose to go Iqta or to form a Republic. If you manage your aggression well, you should be able to form Mauretania before the Umayyids come calling, but you are in a uniquely defensible position relative to them because they will try to walk troops across Gibraltar pretty much every single time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

catlord posted:

What mod is that? I don't recognise the religion and government.

HIP. He's Bogomilist, which has a unique government type that AFAIK is pretty much identical to feudalism except you can also have church holdings without penalty.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Several pages ago there was a guy asking about good starts and I have one that I started a couple days ago that's been a good time. The 769 Count of Marrakech is Very Good because you are Shia (a minority at this start date) and Berber (which is a culture that allows you to raid any neighboring heretics, which includes everybody you start near). You also start as tribal with a coastal province, so you can choose to go Iqta or to form a Republic. If you manage your aggression well, you should be able to form Mauretania before the Umayyids come calling, but you are in a uniquely defensible position relative to them because they will try to walk troops across Gibraltar pretty much every single time.

Good poo poo dude, thanks for posting. I haven't played around in that area at all yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Took a look at Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis boardgames today. CK has been delayed to next year, probably. I also asked Fria Lagan if there was going to be a conversion kit to link the two games. The slightly harried laughter suggests the answer is no. :D

Also there's going to be a Hearts of Iron game hitting Kickstarter in February. Grogs rejoice.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meridian posted:

Good poo poo dude, thanks for posting. I haven't played around in that area at all yet.

That whole area is going to be a lot more interesting after the dlc patch.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hundreds of hours in this game and I still don't really know what to do with daughters or setting up valuable alliances. I just marry them to whoever gives the most prestige :shrug:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I always try and matrimarry my daughters and land them because I'm an idiot and also I don't really know how to manage good alliances either. Every time I get into an alliance it's with some moron who's starting wars every other year.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
yeah that's my other use. I'm able to get brawny genius strong attractive daughters all day long. So if there isn't a king+ to wed or I have no use for prestige I just matrilineal and hope the AI has better luck with getting the good traits on the male heirs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

marrying for alliances doesn't have to be all that complicated, just marry your girls to nearby rulers/sons of rulers you don't see yourself warring against in the near future

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

Hundreds of hours in this game and I still don't really know what to do with daughters or setting up valuable alliances. I just marry them to whoever gives the most prestige :shrug:
Marry them for historical/roleplaying purposes.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Elective succession laws revamp detailed.

I didn't think I could be more excited for this expansion! :swoon:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cyflan posted:

This is amazing, I love it. Elective really was too easy for a long time, it was hands down the best succession system. After the changes, it became one of the worst, just ahead of the gavelkind variants.

But I can't get more excited for Holy Fury, I've been at maximum for weeks now.

Edit: Screw it, I just skimmed the top, now I've come to the Byzantine section. Turns out I can get more excited! I was determined to play Africans first when Holy Fury comes out, but I think I will have to do a Byzantine playthrough before that. Those are really awesome changes.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 26, 2018

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
daughters are for marrying to your vassals to keep them out of factions

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Torrannor posted:

This is amazing, I love it. Elective really was too easy for a long time, it was hands down the best succession system. After the changes, it became one of the worst, just ahead of the gavelkind variants.

But I can't get more excited for Holy Fury, I've been at maximum for weeks now.

Edit: Screw it, I just skimmed the top, now I've come to the Byzantine section. Turns out I can get more excited! I was determined to play Africans first when Holy Fury comes out, but I think I will have to do a Byzantine playthrough before that. Those are really awesome changes.

Yeah, that new Imperial Elective law seems amazing.
Makes it really likely that I'll go for a Roman Empire game as one of my first Holy Fury games too.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I'm not great with marriages either so whenever someone proposes a marriage to one of my daughters i always figure they're trying to own me somehow and i reject it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

I always try and matrimarry my daughters and land them because I'm an idiot and also I don't really know how to manage good alliances either. Every time I get into an alliance it's with some moron who's starting wars every other year.

Wait, you can land your daughters? How?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wait, you can land your daughters? How?

Well, at least by having Absolute Cognatic, Enatic-Cognatic, or Enatic succession law.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Holy poo poo, that Elective update! I'm pretty sure I asked for exactly this when I abandoned my Britannia save because elective was totally opaque.

e:

Walton Simons posted:

I keep trying to kick-start it but I just can't be bothered with my elective Britannia save anymore. I wanted the politicking of elective monarchy and extra DLC stuff like disease and societies to take the place of the map-painting I always do but in practice elective is just infuriating. It would be much better if you could see a breakdown of why people are voting for other people, like how opinion works so maybe each voter has a score for each candidate (+10 we're friends, +20 high prestige, +50 is my son etc) and whoever has the most points gets the vote. Unfortunately there's none of that so you can't see why some 16 year old idiot duke has 3 votes and your wonderful firstborn only has 1 and frustration is the end result.

I don't think I've been this hyped for a game update since maybe Kerbal Space Program career mode launched.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 26, 2018

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Favours'll finally be useful, goddamn that is beautiful, something I have wanted forever.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 26, 2018

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I pre-ordered the DLC a few weeks ago already, and somehow feel as though I need to pre-order again. Every update is getting me more and more pumped!

Also, whoever recommended the 767 Marrakech start: thank you. I'm only a few hours in and it's a lot of fun. Got lucky that somehow the Umayyads went Shia, so I swore fealty before they could force it. Now I'm sailing all over Europe raiding Catholics like a boss. Even took the Pope's son ransom for a cool $80.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Cyflan posted:

Holy gently caress this expansion just has literally everything, huh

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Cyflan posted:

PP: very hard

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Holy Fury just keeps looking better and better.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I like the elective changes but am wary of Imperial Administration being the only possible succession law for the Byzantines AND Roman Empire.

If a player is powerful enough they should be able to tell the court to get hosed, I'm the Emperor and what I say goes, so get in line now or I'll murder you and bang your wife.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I like the elective changes but am wary of Imperial Administration being the only possible succession law for the Byzantines AND Roman Empire.

If a player is powerful enough they should be able to tell the court to get hosed, I'm the Emperor and what I say goes, so get in line now or I'll murder you and bang your wife.

quote:

Scaled Voting Power: And this is where things get really interesting. Imperial Elective uses to its full extent the new voter_power function of scripted elective, making sure that every elector has a different amount of influence, entirely dependent on his status in the court and his attributes. The Emperor’s vote starts out with a strength of 200 voting power, which can be further boosted by good diplomacy and martial scores, making it so that a powerful and influential Emperor will be able to push the candidate that he wants on the throne even if most of the Court is against it.

Personally most excited for the Strong Claim Duels. Nice way to resolve family disputes over gavelkind without plunging the entire realm into a hellwar.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This expansion seems almost CK2.5

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm bored and messing around in the game until Holy Fury, so I thought it would be fun to do an Ireland game and go merchant republic. Not five years into the game I get the immortality event, and I... won it. For the first time in 500+ hours. It's the year 775 and I'm immortal.

:getin:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

Teach them to be super spies then marry them off to kingdoms you don't like.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, similarly I'm a little disappointed that there's no way to get those laws if you aren't the ERE. I feel like if you're a powerful enough empire and raise your crown authority high enough there should be an "adopt Chinese imperialism"-type decision where you can say "get hosed, Greeks, I'M the Roman Empire now."

Should be fairly easy to mod in, though.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sydin posted:

I'm bored and messing around in the game until Holy Fury, so I thought it would be fun to do an Ireland game and go merchant republic. Not five years into the game I get the immortality event, and I... won it. For the first time in 500+ hours. It's the year 775 and I'm immortal.

:getin:

I've gotten the immortality event for every stat by now, and even when my character has 28 in that stat it still never works. I guess it's realistic in a way.

Just now my genius 28 intrigue emperor of Alba (capital duchy: Seville) went though the intrigue immortality chain, failed to follow the alchemist's recipe, got depressed, got smallpox (there was an epidemic), recovered, immediately got pneumonia, recovered, immediately got the flu, and finally recovered completely. All that while fighting off a crusade for France, since we're Cathars. That was fun!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah I know it's meant to model the fact that the Byzantine government was so terrible in its way that the word Byzantine became an adjective about terrible governments.

I suppose my point is since gigantic reforms of the Roman government structure happened in the past, it seems a little weird that a suitably powerful Emperor wouldn't be able to restructure the government.

It also takes away some of the power from Hellenism, since its unique doctrine gives it heir designation, which is completely negated by the fact that you will only ever have Imperial Elective now, if you are Rome.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of the Byzantines, if I do an Alexiad start in HF would I have any sway over starting a crusade or picking a target?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah this is probably one of the first things I'll do. Not having heir designation as the Roman Emperor is pretty dumb.

That said Roman Empire is going to be second game. First is going to be African blob.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pidan posted:

I've gotten the immortality event for every stat by now, and even when my character has 28 in that stat it still never works. I guess it's realistic in a way.

Just now my genius 28 intrigue emperor of Alba (capital duchy: Seville) went though the intrigue immortality chain, failed to follow the alchemist's recipe, got depressed, got smallpox (there was an epidemic), recovered, immediately got pneumonia, recovered, immediately got the flu, and finally recovered completely. All that while fighting off a crusade for France, since we're Cathars. That was fun!

The odds for the immortality event suck even if you have a perfect set of circumstances and know what to pick. Then even if you succeed other immortals show up to murder you so yeah. The game very much doesn't want you to be immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're taking so many hard-coded systems and ripping them out and instituting something more versatile and moddable, it's amazing. I still wish they would make a system so that when you have multiple inheriting heirs you could just choose which one you want to mind-hop into upon death, but those duels come pretty close.

I still feel like Islam could use a little rejiggering, but other than that, I can't really think of many areas for improvement. It might be nice for republics to be a little less hard-coded, but it seems like that's probably more of a deal for ATE.

With all those electoral ways to get screwed, I kinda wish there was a way to do ironman but hop to another dynasty when you get a game over, but I guess that's still more of a gimmick run anyways.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, similarly I'm a little disappointed that there's no way to get those laws if you aren't the ERE. I feel like if you're a powerful enough empire and raise your crown authority high enough there should be an "adopt Chinese imperialism"-type decision where you can say "get hosed, Greeks, I'M the Roman Empire now."

I guess the biggest thing is that if you can manage to form an empire outside of Byzantine territory, you probably have much stronger dynastic traditions than the Roman empire ever did, so there's bound to be less uncertainty about succession and your vassals will be less likely to accept the same sort of gubernatorial system. Maybe if you go from a Republic to imperial? These things seem like edge cases just to give the player something fun to do, but now that there's the randomization system, all bets are off.

poo poo, you can hold CITIES as byzantine imperial now.

Also now that they have more robust voting systems, they could probably put together a protocol for if a large realm has all the people in line for the throne die off instead of just generating a random ruler like it's a lowly barony. It doesn't seem like it happens much in the game, but it sure happened a few times in real life. People in this thread have also done it with console trickery.

fuuuck I wanna play this but also I should probably finish a few runs before the update comes and changes everything.

• Locked thread