Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its most likely an arg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate how much I love King's Falls AM.

e: I love them so much.

e2 and archive 81

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I try to limit my exposure to Night Vale Presents podcasts because Joseph Fink's voice and diction make me want to blow out my eardrums.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I try to limit my exposure to Night Vale Presents podcasts because Joseph Fink's voice and diction make me want to blow out my eardrums.

I remember my first thought upon hearing of Fink's podcast where he talks to strangers who hate him for no real reason was "Ah, I could see myself guesting on that".

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

I remember my first thought upon hearing of Fink's podcast where he talks to strangers who hate him for no real reason was "Ah, I could see myself guesting on that".

Except that was the guy who plays Carlos...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Except that was the guy who plays Carlos...

Sue me for not paying close attention to what Joseph Fink says in his ads.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

Sue me for not paying close attention to what Joseph Fink says in his ads.

It's been awhile since I listened to Night Vale does he still do things like "speed up his voice 20% while lowering the pitch 60%"?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EOS 10 really took a turn I didn't expect. Make sure to listen it to the end.

The time travel plot, not the Uridian thing that's been hanging over the show since it was revealed about his mom cheating.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 16, 2018

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Len posted:

It's been awhile since I listened to Night Vale does he still do things like "speed up his voice 20% while lowering the pitch 60%"?

Not for a while. Jeffrey took over the openings for a few episodes but its back to Joseph now. I'm still a big fan of Night Vale as it was the podcast that got me into podcasts in general - fictional and non-fiction. I've been to all their live shows since I started listening, and I was just at their show in Durham, NC and Symphony Sanders was taking photos of the auditorium before the show and we got to say hello and my friend got a selfie with her. Their live shows usually inject a bit more humor and theatrics.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Turtlicious posted:

I hate how much I love King's Falls AM.

e: I love them so much.

e2 and archive 81

King Falls is one of those shows that I really like but I can’t really explain why. The pieces don’t really work for me, but somehow the totality does. I think the basic premise works well, and the two leads have decent chemistry which helps a lot, but beyond that, I really have no idea.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Limetown updated their feed - Season 2 apparently starts on Halloween.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Meinberg posted:

King Falls is one of those shows that I really like but I can’t really explain why. The pieces don’t really work for me, but somehow the totality does. I think the basic premise works well, and the two leads have decent chemistry which helps a lot, but beyond that, I really have no idea.

Yeah, I have a ton of time for King Falls, although I do think they got really bogged down in the Emily/Greg/Ben storyline for WAY too long.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So gimlet had a new show for October called "The Horror of Dolores Roach". It started out decent but kinda completely poo poo the bed in the last episode. It felt like they ran out of money and just patched together an ending at the very last minute.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I have a ton of time for King Falls, although I do think they got really bogged down in the Emily/Greg/Ben storyline for WAY too long.

For me King Falls is great for the one off that became catch phrases. I will never not laugh at Jack In the Box Jesus. And The Burger King King of Kings.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ive been re-listening to Limetown in preparation for season 2 (Napoleon and Cost-benefit anlysis are still really, really good pieces of fiction), and this in turn made me check in on the Black tapes, as I last checked in at the end of season 2.

And uh, wow that ending really is something. They just dont give any fucks over there, do they?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Listening to Limetown again has made me realize just how much the PNW guys cribbed from it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Listening to Limetown again has made me realize just how much the PNW guys cribbed from it.

Personally I've yet to listen to anything that I think was as good and tight as Limetown was, which is kind of insane considering it's over three years old.

I can't wait for Season 2 to finally drop.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Limetown really set a quality benchmark that nobody's met yet. Jazzed to have it back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What podcast apps do you guys use for iOS? The Apple one continues to just irritate me by being Apple

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

What podcast apps do you guys use for iOS? The Apple one continues to just irritate me by being Apple

PocketCasts is my app of choice in both iOS and Android.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

PocketCasts is my app of choice in both iOS and Android.

Seconded. I used Podcast Addict in the past, but I like the interface and organization tools of PocketCasts so much better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

Not for a while. Jeffrey took over the openings for a few episodes but its back to Joseph now. I'm still a big fan of Night Vale as it was the podcast that got me into podcasts in general - fictional and non-fiction. I've been to all their live shows since I started listening, and I was just at their show in Durham, NC and Symphony Sanders was taking photos of the auditorium before the show and we got to say hello and my friend got a selfie with her. Their live shows usually inject a bit more humor and theatrics.

I saw and liked a live show in Montreal but hoo boy they seem to be leaning more and more into the “look we are so cute and wacky and ps progressive” thing. Admittedly I last listened to the first half of the two part “LOOK ITS TAMIKA FLYNN SO BADASS REMEMBER?” episode if I think last year, and am also a gay who does not live in the fun wacky bubble that Fink and Cecil seem to reside in when they get ANGRY so idfk.

It seemed to be leaning more and more into the “hey it’s me, gimmick character, here for my fifteenth appearance to be soooo ready to tell you a verbose message. Buy our book. PS im the faceless old lady remeber when I was funny?”

E: also ashamed to say I have a signed copy of the first night vale book and it reads like a Series of Unfortunate Events book except it doesn’t clarify that it’s aimed at 12-year-olds

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 24, 2018

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Len posted:

overcast is the best podcast app there is. Smart speed has saved me 1500 hours over 4 years.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I saw and liked a live show in Montreal but hoo boy they seem to be leaning more and more into the “look we are so cute and wacky and ps progressive” thing. Admittedly I last listened to the first half of the two part “LOOK ITS TAMIKA FLYNN SO BADASS REMEMBER?” episode if I think last year, and am also a gay who does not live in the fun wacky bubble that Fink and Cecil seem to reside in when they get ANGRY so idfk.

It seemed to be leaning more and more into the “hey it’s me, gimmick character, here for my fifteenth appearance to be soooo ready to tell you a verbose message. Buy our book. PS im the faceless old lady remeber when I was funny?”

E: also ashamed to say I have a signed copy of the first night vale book and it reads like a Series of Unfortunate Events book except it doesn’t clarify that it’s aimed at 12-year-olds

It’s natural for a show to evolve in different directions but I still relisten to the first WTNV episodes and man, that was some good weird fiction. Cecil slowly narrating spooky narratives over the landscape of the unforgiving desert was so great and so eerie. I understand why they need to change to keep things fresh but nothing I’ve found has matched that quiet unease that early WTNV did really well.

It’s a shame.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
capitalism got 'em. once they hit upon something that energized an underserved market (marginalized teens and millennials) the gravity of that fan engagement unquestionably affected their art. live shows in particular got really overstuffed with crowd-pleasing cameos for a while and Baldwin's performance lost a lot of its menace and authority and mystery as he became a more sympathetic character more deeply intertwined with the stories.

Alice Isn't Dead is fantastic and WTNV proper has had periods of real success too in recent years but it'll never be like those first 18 months to 2 years again.

But also A Series Of Unfortunate Events is top-tier fiction regardless of your age and comparing the WTNV books to it is giving Fink and Cranor a massive compliment.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Meh, I still enjoy them. To each their own.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nightvale is still good but yea I also miss when it was this vaguely menacing narrator calmly narrating surreal and horrifying events and didn't constantly have a metaplot where five side characters that appeared once get a monologue before they defeat the problem with a mcguffin from nowhere and go right back to the weird status quo.

Just in general with fiction podcasts I'm always disappointed when an anthology series decides to do a grand metaplot. Not that storylines can't happen, obviously, but this idea that somehow it's 'better' if you can tie everything together with one unified thread is toxic as hell in writing and I have no idea where it came from.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Just in general with fiction podcasts I'm always disappointed when an anthology series decides to do a grand metaplot. Not that storylines can't happen, obviously, but this idea that somehow it's 'better' if you can tie everything together with one unified thread is toxic as hell in writing and I have no idea where it came from.

Nightvale thankfully has moved away from season arcs. The last couple years have been stand alones and 2-3 episode arcs only. The format definitely works better.

As far as metaplots go, I think the only one that really pulled it off is Magnus and it was obviously planned to be there from the beginning.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

But see, I kinda like the way Night Vale works these days. Don't get me wrong, I think the Strexcorp stuff was fantastic, and those were peak Night Vale to me, but I've always felt like the "point" of the show was a town where the bizarre and terrifying was mundane, and its definitely hammered home that point lately. I also feel like its building to something and that the Cecil we've been hearing lately isn't the same Cecil we were listening to at the beginning. There are subtle differences in their interactions, and the audio quality is different, and I feel like its been intentional.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Nightvale thankfully has moved away from season arcs. The last couple years have been stand alones and 2-3 episode arcs only. The format definitely works better.

As far as metaplots go, I think the only one that really pulled it off is Magnus and it was obviously planned to be there from the beginning.

I'm not sure it was, though. I know they always planned 5 seasons but wasn't it Alex who pushed the metaplot and that's not really what Jon wanted?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not sure it was, though. I know they always planned 5 seasons but wasn't it Alex who pushed the metaplot and that's not really what Jon wanted?

I'm pretty sure Jon said that he had a five season metaplot planned from the beginning in the post-season 2 Q&A.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I too listened to Limetown again in preparation for the new season, and I forgot just how much they packed into less than four hours of audio. PNWS could have cribbed even more from them in that way. I also didn't remember that the main plot points were introduced so early.
I can't wait for more Archive 81

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What the hell? I didn't catch the entire ad but the radio just had a recorded ad that mentioned Black Tapes and Lore

Edit: 106.5 the lake a Cleveland based iHeartRadio station with no djs

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Len posted:

What the hell? I didn't catch the entire ad but the radio just had a recorded ad that mentioned Black Tapes and Lore

Edit: 106.5 the lake a Cleveland based iHeartRadio station with no djs

iHeart is promoting their app for listening to podcasts now, so it was probably that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

vortmax posted:

iHeart is promoting their app for listening to podcasts now, so it was probably that.

That would do it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone have a guess for what season 2 of Limetown will cover? There's a part of me that's afraid it will be the producers listening to the tapes they got sent before episode 6

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I bet that the season will start with Lia returning after being missing for ~2 years, with the episodes being what she was doing during that time.

Idrin
Jun 11, 2007

The trailer they released makes it sound as if another investigation is going on in her absence and they will encounter her again eventually. So a meandering path back to the season 1 plot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Season 2 dropped.

The tv show is Facebook Watch exclusive. What the hell is Facebook Watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

Season 2 dropped.

The tv show is Facebook Watch exclusive. What the hell is Facebook Watch?

And the first episode is fantastic.

Facebook Watch is their answer to Netflix and Amazon Video.