Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

moush posted:

Were store championships even well-attended? I just assumed the 2-3 spikes who really wanted a platmat went.

Usually got 12-14 people here which is 8-10 more people than regular standard events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Standard Pauper will bomb harder than Brawl
You mean in Arena? A format where it's very easy for a F2P player to make an optimized deck will probably get played a lot unless the reward structure is very bad.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hi MTG thread, which of the following decks should I be taking into Dominaria draft?

(I am a relative newbie and these all might actually be garbage, I honestly don't know, but they all seem pretty strong. Looking for legit feedback)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I couldn't even tell you for sure what Store Championship even is. Is that what Game Day became? I haven't played Standard seriously in over a year.

Game Day used to be super popular and people got really competitive for the playmats, so you'd have like 5-6 rounds or even a cut to top8. The only events that get that kind of attendance any more are pre-releases.

Standard has absolutely cratered in popularity over the last 2-3 years around here. I think it's the combination of the formats feeling stale and solved and all the best decks requiring playsets of expensive chase mythics that people know won't hold value come rotation.

Standard used to be the most popular format, now it fails to fire on Friday Nights more often than not while we get 8-10 or so for Modern and usually enough for two full pods for Draft.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You mean in Arena? A format where it's very easy for a F2P player to make an optimized deck will probably get played a lot unless the reward structure is very bad.
I mean, this is Arena we're talking about.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

I mean, this is WOTC we're talking about.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1055633808383459328

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ization/.138603

A Magic the Gathering manga is being serialized. Brought to you by the guy who wrote Molester Man and Masturbation Master Kurosawa. Yes, you read that right. Title: Subete no Jinsei wo Hakai Suru. Sorera wa Saisei Dekinai, which roughly translates to: "Destroy All of Humanity. It Can't Be Regenerated."

What the gently caress. There’s already a wizard soul manga

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

Power level is flatter besides some bombier bombs, and I don't know what indicates a color or strategy is open. Gold cards make it way easier for me.
For me telling what is open was not much of an issue since it was usually a matter of seeing which color was totally not there by pick 5, and just generally not really committing to a color/pair until pack 2. Power level being flatter never really came up for me since that tends to be a deckbuilding check, and that actually is a boon in a lot of cases - you have two cards of roughly the same power level? Take the card that is cheaper, fewer colors, or has the bigger butt. ezcuts.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chill la Chill posted:

This is a Wizard's Soul prequel set in the 90s.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

moush posted:

Were store championships even well-attended? I just assumed the 2-3 spikes who really wanted a platmat went.

They took game day and then called it something else and put it at worse time of the standard season. Instead of making game day better in an almost infinite amount of ways, they made it worse.

WOTC's has this cycle of taking a good thing, making it bad, then totally restructuring it. WOTC is pretty dumb.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

It’s probably a romance manga with Magic as the gimmick, really.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Do I craft Teferis and get good at a control deck or do I craft Arclight Phoenix and do Izzet beatdown?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

No joke Masturbation Master Kurosawa is actually fantastic and again I should state that this isn't irony or a joke or anything, it's a really good comic even with that name. Bodes well for the MTG comic.

I clicked out of sheer curiosity and ended up reading the whole thing. That's... a thing. Didn't expect something so hosed up to have a nice ending like that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

number one pta fan posted:

Do I craft Teferis and get good at a control deck or do I craft Arclight Phoenix and do Izzet beatdown?

Why play control on a platform that rewards faster decks 90% of the time?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in actual constructed queue theres a reason to play control but if you're just gonna play the ladder obviously you should not

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Events reward a high win-rate more than fast games, and there aren't any rewards for climbing the ladder.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

moush posted:

Depends.

I've seen as few as 10 and as many as 36 (the biggest event I ever 4-0'd, scrubbed out in the top 8). They're typically better attended than the weekly standard event but not a lot more. The local MTG scene is really healthy though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

Events reward a high win-rate more than fast games, and there aren't any rewards for climbing the ladder.

there arent any rewards for climbing the ladder but thats not what the choice is between, its winning quickly and a theoretically better winrate in events. there are rewards for winning 15x per day and a slow deck would need a (likely impossibly) substantially better winrate for that to not be a consideration

i mean obviously what your priorities are is the real decider but acting like theres zero value to getting fast wins in ladder play is dumb. edit: also if the other deck has a comparable odds of winning events i think that means that your priorities dont matter unless its specifically "i want to play with teferi" which is plenty valid

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

there arent any rewards for climbing the ladder but thats not what the choice is between, its winning quickly and a theoretically better winrate in events. there are rewards for winning 15x per day and a slow deck would need a (likely impossibly) substantially better winrate for that to not be a consideration

i mean obviously what your priorities are is the real decider but acting like theres zero value to getting fast wins in ladder play is dumb. edit: also if the other deck has a comparable odds of winning events i think that means that your priorities dont matter unless its specifically "i want to play with teferi" which is plenty valid

Its better to go 7-0 in constructed than it is to play 15 matches quickly

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Framboise posted:

I clicked out of sheer curiosity and ended up reading the whole thing. That's... a thing. Didn't expect something so hosed up to have a nice ending like that.

Exactly. That comic is just like a good match of Magic - kind of hosed up but with a nice ending.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kild posted:

Its better to go 7-0 in constructed than it is to play 15 matches quickly

yea, im not sure why i didnt just think of winning every game. thats obviously the deck that guy should pick

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

rabidsquid posted:

yea, im not sure why i didnt just think of winning every game. thats obviously the deck that guy should pick

Being more gooder, is a tier 1 strat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

It’s probably a romance manga with Magic as the gimmick, really.

Now that sounds interesting. The less mtg and actual play events, probably the better. Your lie in april mtg adaptation would also sound great in theory but that would mean the characters are mtg savants lol. Also wouldn't work since a lot of april's strength comes from the music.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Come to think of it Standard Pauper does have Devious Coverup (aka the best common control finisher of all time) available so there may be some pretty miserable mirrors.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Hi MTG thread, which of the following decks should I be taking into Dominaria draft?

(I am a relative newbie and these all might actually be garbage, I honestly don't know, but they all seem pretty strong. Looking for legit feedback)

play the G/B deck but cut sparring construct and sheild of the realm because they are bad cards. replace them with red removal spells if you have to

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jabor posted:

I only really have time for limited events, and would much rather play those than constructed I guess. I just play constructed for dailies/individual card reward type things, and limited for fun/collection building.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Normal brain: Play an G/x deck to complete your overlapping "cast X green or ___ spells" quest.

Galaxy Brain: Play your dumb Dimir Tempo Thief of Sanity deck and jam out enough games that you incidentally cast enough purloined green spells to satisfy your quests.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I just installed Arena, how long do I have to play these miserable starter decks before it will let me play sealed?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Three games I think

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

frameset posted:

I just installed Arena, how long do I have to play these miserable starter decks before it will let me play sealed?

Look for a checkbox to let you at the 'advanced' events

Or ESC->skip the tutorial if that's what you're on

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I really want to build the black/red punisher deck in Arena, it just looks so dumb/fun. Is this a terrible idea? I would need like three or four more rare wildcards to build it out, I think. (here's an example: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/goldfish-gladiators-punisher-burn-standard-arena)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I've heard this several times and I just don't get how DOM is a hard draft format. Maybe it's luck on my end or the set just speaks to me on some metaphysical level, but I never had a particularly hard time picking my cards or building my deck. What makes it particularly difficult to draft?

The gameplay in Guilds is good, but the drafts are not very interesting. The only genuinely challenging guild to draft is Izzet, the rest are just about seeing what's open and picking up the premium gold cards and removal, or in Boros, the cheap aggressive creatures.

There are archetypes in every two color combination, compared to guilds where you have "The Dimir Deck" and "The Selesnya Deck" with very little variation. Even a deck like GB in Dominaria can be built aggressive, controlling or grindy, same with UR, or UW. Mono colored decks were even a thing. Honestly drafting M19 was more challenging than Guilds, but the gameplay in guilds is far superior.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Normal brain: Play an G/x deck to complete your overlapping "cast X green or ___ spells" quest.

Galaxy Brain: Play your dumb Dimir Tempo Thief of Sanity deck and jam out enough games that you incidentally cast enough purloined green spells to satisfy your quests.

Whatever comes next: Red dinosaurs with Etali, Primal Storm.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Necronomicon posted:

I really want to build the black/red punisher deck in Arena, it just looks so dumb/fun. Is this a terrible idea? I would need like three or four more rare wildcards to build it out, I think. (here's an example: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/goldfish-gladiators-punisher-burn-standard-arena)

This looks like it needs 4 rares for risk factor, 4 for sword point, and 4 for the barrens. The risk factors and barrens are going to transfer over to other decks and have value that way. Not so sure about sword point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blood Crypt should help out that deck a lot in a few months. Sword-Point Diplomacy might not survive the cut after the deck gets access to gold cards, though.

e: the deck does seem very good in the red mirror. Random lifegain and card advantage help a lot there.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I noticed that deck uses Electrostatic Field instead of Guttersnipe. Is it just because of the lower cost and increased survivability? I use Guttersnipe in monored and if it lives through removal, it usually ends up doing really good damage, especially in that part of the game where monored's trying to push as much damage to the dome as possible before the other side's big bombs kill, but I wonder whether the return from the Field is actually better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Electrostatic Field makes sense to me as part of the gameplan to beat monored. It can absorb a lot of damage and may force an unfavourable use of burn, and it helps apply pressure to your opponent's life total to make sure your punisher cards are actually live. Guttersnipe may have higher upside if it lives but it's very easy for a red opponent to kill it efficiently.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You know what would be really awesome? A Blightning reprint in the next set.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Blightning is good enough when you have to pay for it. Does it run in Modern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Blightning is a playable but unspectacular card if you need to pay for it but it is nowhere near good enough for Modern.

It's also probably worse now because you can't get a 3 for 1 by sniping a planeswalker.