Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sorry, no more movies. Haven’t gone to the theater in two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

refleks posted:

It takes food out of the mouths of hardworking cashiers

no it doesn't. when i was in the ufcw we supported them because they don't shift employment in a harmful way (Stores that try to cut staffing because they get them in are stores that end up with them constantly breaking becasue you need to have people on hand to monitor each set and that's why you had poo poo like a lotta walmarts and other non union stores bringing them in, cutting staff, than removing their self checkouts in a huff and rehiring people)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

no it doesn't. when i was in the ufcw we supported them because they don't shift employment in a harmful way (Stores that try to cut staffing because they get them in are stores that end up with them constantly breaking becasue you need to have people on hand to monitor each set and that's why you had poo poo like a lotta walmarts and other non union stores bringing them in, cutting staff, than removing their self checkouts in a huff and rehiring people)

Oh okay no big deal then

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

refleks posted:

Oh great - Shagger and Fishmech agree on something. Lets stir this poo poo.

Self checkout is a useless feature detrimental to increasing efficency

refleks posted:

Oh okay no big deal then
:u-played-yaself:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Scabbing is never fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i use the self checkout because I can't stand the cashier's judging eyes when i heft the third armload of booze up onto the belt

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bhodi posted:

i use the self checkout because I can't stand the cashier's judging eyes when i heft the third armload of booze up onto the belt

I think the heft is on the other end of the arm

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the self-checkouts in the shops here are extremely good because people are idiots and constantly gently caress up the most basic things. in a normal store, you'd need 1 cashier going 5 beeps per second or whatever, but the self-checkout ones require 2 because the people on self-checkouts constantly stall the line so shops need a normal cashier to pick up the slack anyway, and the cashier for fixing people's fuckups in self-checkout line too. it's great

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i like old people being afraid of self checkout because it leaves it free for me and others who were baggers in a previous job to breeze through

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
heck yeah, build the wall! (with cereal boxes :3:)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

self checkouts own bc you can it’s alll big corps that use those poo poo and you can ring up a $10 block of nice cheese for a 1.50 block of cream cheese

also no more special organic markup pricing bc the organic bananas are ripe and the others are worthless green trash still

other than that they are bad and basically an excuse for Safeway to understaff and have 1 loving checkout lane open during peak shopping time with a line that extends to the back of the store because muh hedge fund profits

so are you buying the both cheeses and scanning the cheap one twice?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Truga posted:

the self-checkouts in the shops here are extremely good because people are idiots and constantly gently caress up the most basic things. in a normal store, you'd need 1 cashier going 5 beeps per second or whatever, but the self-checkout ones require 2 because the people on self-checkouts constantly stall the line so shops need a normal cashier to pick up the slack anyway, and the cashier for fixing people's fuckups in self-checkout line too. it's great

this forum already has way too much beep in it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
*slams knife and fork on table* we want more boop

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Truga posted:

*slams knife and fork on table* we want more boop

*pounds and chants* boop! boop! boop!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
*Major —- de Coverley voce* Give everybody boop!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duz posted:

i like old people being afraid of self checkout because it leaves it free for me and others who were baggers in a previous job to breeze through

the self checkout has become too easy to use so now I see old people and cash payers in there all the time

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Bhodi posted:

lol if don't look at the cashier with dead eyes as they see you buying your third bottle of whiskey this month

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

lol if don't look at the cashier with dead eyes as they see you buying your third bottle of whiskey this month

~this month~

cute

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i like how nobody read the self-checkout twitter thread and just defaulted to their normal self-checkout arguments because it was ostensibly the topic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

i like how nobody read the self-checkout twitter thread and just defaulted to their normal self-checkout arguments because it was ostensibly the topic

we read it, it was just really loving dumb

the liability transfer questions are moot and uninteresting because no one has a self driving car that loving works

the whole self-driving car thing is puffery. there's no such thing. if you had a self-driving car technology that worked even 90% of the way, you would get fabulously wealthy on military contracts and railroad automation

notably, no one is doing that

because their poo poo doesn't work, has never worked, and probably never will work

you will know when a self-driving car is actually on the horizon because the DoD will fire all of their expensive contracted truck drivers in war zones, and the railroad companies will reduce staffing on freight trains

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

the self checkout has become too easy to use so now I see old people and cash payers in there all the time

self-checkouts are dumb and so are you

brb gotta ride my bicycle to a grocery store with actual human beings to do the frustrating menial labor for me

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the liability transfer questions are moot and uninteresting because no one has a self driving car that loving works

the whole self-driving car thing is puffery. there's no such thing. if you had a self-driving car technology that worked even 90% of the way, you would get fabulously wealthy on military contracts and railroad automation

because their poo poo doesn't work, has never worked, and probably never will work

you will know when a self-driving car is actually on the horizon because the DoD will fire all of their expensive contracted truck drivers in war zones, and the railroad companies will reduce staffing on freight trains

It ain’t called Silly Con valley for nothing, folks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

*clutches pearls* bb..b.bbbbut the computers! the computers are scarey!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

shagger crosses picket lines

picket scabs

gross

shagg do they have a meth problem where you are? because picking is nasty and is leading to an epidemic of increasingly ugly people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

*clutches pearls* bb..b.bbbbut the computers! the computers are scarey!
it's not pearl-clutching standing in the way of the tech giants. at least, i sure hope it's not

defense and railroad automation are each many-billions-of-dollars opportunities. and both are much easier problems than replacing passenger vehicles on public roads. and nobody is engaging with them. at all.

why is that, shaggar?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

robot train is a thing. aus I think

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
level 5 self driving vehicles are a pipe dream except on highly controlled single purpose roadways and you’d be better off building trains or busses or literally anything else

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes it's definitely pearl-clutching that prevents large companies from earning tens of billions of dollars

they must be afraid to sell their valuable technology to the dod and the railroad giants. because fear is a normal reason to forego billions upon billions of dollars in profits ?????

fear is the profit killer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes it's definitely pearl-clutching that prevents large companies from earning tens of billions of dollars

they must be afraid to sell their valuable technology to the dod and the railroad giants. because fear is a normal reason to forego billions upon billions of dollars in profits ?????

I mean the yosposters in this thread who are terrified of computer cause they're like 100 years old.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

actually you're thinking of dinosaur train.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

picket scabs

gross

shagg do they have a meth problem where you are? because picking is nasty and is leading to an epidemic of increasingly ugly people

I don't think so. we're whole hog on opiates afaik. all that poo poo is up north tho so nobody really cares.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

I mean the yosposters in this thread who are terrified of computer cause they're like 100 years old.

i didn't say anything about being afraid of a computer

i said some poo poo about fucksticks in silly con valley being lying shitbags

you are the one who came up with the pearl clutching

Apr 7, 2003

Anyone with the slightest loving understanding of how computers work that holds a driver’s license always knew it was horse poo poo. “AI” is a scam that sells hardware and software and has done so for what, fifty years now?

Assuming that you can build a model for an open system that takes all variables into account is the height of hubris.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the thread had one thing interesting, in that people can't tell the difference between car A that that kills someone every 200 million miles, and car B that kills someone every 50 million miles because the numbers are too abstract and high to be personal

this means that as soon as autonomous cars reach some threshold, they're gtg on the open road, and that threshold is clearly far, far below what even a drunk driver can manage and that line will be set by the shareholders of the car company

auto cars are coming and they're going to get in a lot of wrecks and kill a whole lot of people but no one will care

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

twitter threads are garbage and unreadable

robot train has been a thing in canada and america since the late 60s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't say anything about being afraid of a computer

i said some poo poo about fucksticks in silly con valley being lying shitbags

you are the one who came up with the pearl clutching

people are pearl clutching in this thread about self driving cars and self checkouts as if they are the end of the world when they either aren't a thing or work fine.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

afaik automated trains only exist in situations where the rail line itself is highly automated. like, subways and passenger rail and poo poo.

operating freight trains involves interpreting visual clues and reading signs and poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

copenhagen metro is selfdriving but thats a huge difference from a car

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

people are pearl clutching in this thread about self driving cars and self checkouts as if they are the end of the world when they either aren't a thing or work fine.

it's stupid to conflate the two

one is a dumb gadget that works fine but isn't useful for anything, and the other one doesn't loving exist.

(why is it the one that doesn't exist solicits billions of dollars in investment and fawning puff pieces from newspapers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Krankenstyle posted:

copenhagen metro is selfdriving but thats a huge difference from a car

metros, as a thing, are wildly different from operating a freight train in the middle of America's great western desolation

1. they're heavily instrumented -- the track itself knows where the trains are
2. all traffic on the metro is controlled by the metro's owner

class 1 railroads are a hugely different space. all the "brains," so to speak, are in the cab of the train. traffic is heterogeneous and not very predictable. it's 100% up to the engineers to avoid killing themselves or other people

as far as automation goes it's much more, uh, car-like