Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you should slob on at least one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

can we talk track balls here too? I want to talk about my track balls.

i just got a new track ball. we should have a thread. all balls matter.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
my new keyboard arrived. cherry mx browns and a numpad, as god intended. it's real nice.

will probably replace the keycaps though, sa is a pretty tall profile.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

i just got a new track ball. we should have a thread. all balls matter.

I’ll start the wiki

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i brought my AEK to work today and used it to do my daily computer touching. don't think i've been fired yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

i brought my AEK to work today and used it to do my daily computer touching. don't think i've been fired yet.

AEK 1?

e: checked your posts, nice. I've got a beat to poo poo AEK2 with scratchy switches that I am tempted to replace with matias quiet click

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mewse posted:

AEK 1?

e: checked your posts, nice. I've got a beat to poo poo AEK2 with scratchy switches that I am tempted to replace with matias quiet click

yea, my heritage AEK1 from tyol 1989. I was staring at the checkout page for a matias quiet click earlier this week because i figured i didn't want to be a douche, but then I was like "fuckit, there's another guy with a fairly loud keeb in the same room, let's see what they think" and the other nerds seemed suitably impressed. not sure if it'll last.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 26, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

I meant I'm on the fence for desoldering all the cream alps and replacing with matias. I think alps are way more valuable but as a former school keyboard theyre all trashed. I should probably suck it up and clean them properly before deciding whether to replace

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what a great knob

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mewse posted:

I meant I'm on the fence for desoldering all the cream alps and replacing with matias.

do not do this to your historic keyboard

just get a Matias keyboard instead of doing this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:jackbud:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blotto Skorzany posted:

is the kinesis advantage my only legit option for an ergo keyboard w/ mechanical switches?

there are three "legit" options

• kinesis advantage ($350)

this is an American clone of the Maltron. It's much cheaper than a Maltron, and less ugly.

• maltron L89 (£435)

the original "bowl" keyboard. british. expensive.

• ibm m15 ($1000+)

this is not a bowl keyboard, unfortunately, but it is a fully adjustable split mechanical. sadly these are out of production. they go for $1000-$2000 on eBay.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got an 87U in the mail today, it's probably sitting outside my apartment RIGHT NOW! I'm going to try to fix my filco which has 1 bad switch on it wish me luck, this post comfortable written on a Kinesis Advantage I'm not a nerd you're the nerd!!!!!!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are three "legit" options

• kinesis advantage ($350)

this is an American clone of the Maltron. It's much cheaper than a Maltron, and less ugly.

• maltron L89 (£435)

the original "bowl" keyboard. british. expensive.

• ibm m15 ($1000+)

this is not a bowl keyboard, unfortunately, but it is a fully adjustable split mechanical. sadly these are out of production. they go for $1000-$2000 on eBay.

for DIY there's ergodox and dactyl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mewse posted:

for DIY there's ergodox and dactyl

ergodox is dogshit

dactyl looks cool but like a huge pain in the rear end to assemble

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a real dactyl nightmare

mewse
May 2, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ergodox is dogshit

*looks at unwired dactyl thats been on shelf for almost a year*

what do you mean

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

a real dactyl nightmare

well then you wouldn't need a keyb, would you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The 87U is a nice keyboard. There's something just kind of wholesome feeling about topre switches. The only disappointing thing is that I doubt I could pass a blind test of the variable weighting and 55g versions. It feels pretty much identical to the HHKB I used to have which was all 55g.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Left in a hot car?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

they asked if they could

nobody asked if they should check for a gas leak

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ergodox is dogshit

can you even buy the kits for a dactyl atm through a process other than "send funds to a guy on reddit and maybe something will come in the mail?"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
still have an in assembled ergodox infinity kit that I can’t be bothered to put together. why bother the advantage is great. What kinda price should I ask for/where do I sell it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One more thing about the 87U: It's got a numlock which turns some of the keys into a numpad. The numpad has a 00 key which owns and why don't normal numpads have a 00 key? Get rid of the giant 0 and make it two keys.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

blugu64 posted:

still have an in assembled ergodox infinity kit that I can’t be bothered to put together. why bother the advantage is great. What kinda price should I ask for/where do I sell it?

$69

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blotto Skorzany posted:

can you even buy the kits for a dactyl atm through a process other than "send funds to a guy on reddit and maybe something will come in the mail?"

I’m not about to find out

that assembly process is bananas

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

been rocking a plain black mac capped WASD with cherry clears for a few years now. dont understand wanting more keyboard than this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Vomik posted:

do you live in a house of mirrors?

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

The 87U is a nice keyboard. There's something just kind of wholesome feeling about topre switches. The only disappointing thing is that I doubt I could pass a blind test of the variable weighting and 55g versions. It feels pretty much identical to the HHKB I used to have which was all 55g.

are you sure it’s actually a variable weight topre? Many models aren’t.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I get why split designs might be better but I genuinely don’t understand the benefit of the bowl layout.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

open and close your hand. did your fingers move in an arc? if so, a bowl layout might be for you!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

open and close your hand. did your fingers move in an arc? if so, a bowl layout might be for you!

in that case i need a keyboard that goes

qwert
a[sd together] f
zcxv

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

or better yet one that goes

alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4
alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4
alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4 alt-f4

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

in that case i need a keyboard that goes

qwert
a[sd together] f
zcxv

you surely mean

‘,.py
aoeui
;qjkx

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pumprag posted:

are you sure it’s actually a variable weight topre? Many models aren’t.

It says SE07T0 on the bottom, so I think it should be based on the deskthority list.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bowls rule

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

Bowls rule

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pumprag posted:

I get why split designs might be better but I genuinely don’t understand the benefit of the bowl layout.

if it don't make sense conceptually, you gotta spend a week nestled in the bowls to really get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i had a shitload of split keyboards of various design before i jumped on the Bowl Bandwagon

it seriously makes a difference. kinesis advantage 2 is the reigning champ, in my book. (it is arguably better than the product that it is a knockoff of)