Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vavrek posted:

Baronjutter plays the game the way I would if I had the patience to deal with the tedium. I experiment with other designs just because I tend to get bored after a while, but what he talks about is always sort of the platonic ideal of how I instinctively want to play.

Awesome! I've been real curious about how robopops work now, the basics of how you order up construction and so on. Glad to hear it's working out well. I watched the stream because I happened to be awake to watch it live (6 AM), and had a great time, so I'll keep up with it as it continues.

Also I think the reason I keep more or less playing the same way is that I've never been satisfied, I've never found the exact empire build, play style, map settings, and mods that give me the experience I'm after. New versions and DLC come out, I think "ah, maybe now I can finally scratch that itch" and I never quite get there. Until the game gives me a screen that says "Congrats! Every pop in the galaxy is at 100% happiness, non-sapient robots do all manual labour, authoritarianism, spiritualism, and xenophobia have been purged through education and the perfection of material conditions. The galaxy has been united through your grand emancipatory project that has been achieved through almost entirely ethical means."

Maybe then I could feel like I did it and try for another play style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Also I think the reason I keep more or less playing the same way is that I've never been satisfied, I've never found the exact empire build, play style, map settings, and mods that give me the experience I'm after. New versions and DLC come out, I think "ah, maybe now I can finally scratch that itch" and I never quite get there. Until the game gives me a screen that says "Congrats! Every pop in the galaxy is at 100% happiness, non-sapient robots do all manual labour, authoritarianism, spiritualism, and xenophobia have been purged through education and the perfection of material conditions. The galaxy has been united through your grand emancipatory project that has been achieved through almost entirely ethical means."

I just want a way to win without grinding the universe to dust. I love the early and mid games when I can focus on developing my different worlds, exploration & events, and pretty manageable conflicts against a wide range of factions. The problem is that when I end up consuming a quarter of the galaxy this all breaks down. Each new planet is just a number on a spreadsheet. Myself or some other faction(s) have snowballed to the point of bulldozing everyone else and every war becomes either an easy win by numbers or a long grind to smack down enough planets and whack-a-mole fleets (or stall them from doing it to me) until the war can finally end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Warbadger posted:

I just want a way to win without grinding the universe to dust. I love the early and mid games when I can focus on developing my different worlds, exploration & events, and pretty manageable conflicts against a wide range of factions. The problem is that when I end up consuming a quarter of the galaxy this all breaks down. Each new planet is just a number on a spreadsheet. Myself or some other faction(s) have snowballed to the point of bulldozing everyone else and every war becomes either an easy win by numbers or a long grind to smack down enough planets and whack-a-mole fleets (or stall them from doing it to me) until the war can finally end.

Yeah, this is exactly me.

Again, in other paradox games I don't have this problem because there's way more things to do other than conquer the galaxy. "Ok let's see if I can start as the netherlands and unify my trade zone while creating a vast overseas empire". It's fun to set goals, and unless you're a really gamey min-maxer who knows all the world-conquest tricks it's a reasonable challenge to set your self little goals like that. Lets see how well I can do starting as a south american country. Lets see if I can unite Italy. Lets see if I can control and unify the HRE. There's so many reasonable goals that make you feel like you really accomplished something and forge some cool alt-history while ending the game still only controlling like 10% of the map.

Stellaris has no end date and only one victory condition, so no matter what your playstyle you either play until you're totally bored or have conquered the galaxy. Getting bored is not fun, and conquering the galaxy is a slog. Does stellaris need more win screens or an end date? Nah, what works for EU4 can't just be copy-pasted into Stellaris, but looking at why games like CK2 and EU4 offer such diversity of play and goals is a really good starting point for thinking about how to make Stellaris more interesting. We keep getting new gimmicks on how to conquer the galaxy. Conquer the galaxy as a hive, conquer the galaxy as an exterminator, conquer the galaxy with psionic powers. But it's still just giving people different types of hammers to hammer the same nail. "When every goal is a nail, every tool needs to be some different flavour of a hammer". Stellaris needs something other than that single nail to swing at.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rynoto posted:

It's a shame megacorps and gestalts don't seem to be able to both be picked. A robo-ethic that turns them into single-minded profit seekers that only want to build larger and larger stock markets would be a great bit of gimmicky fun.

you will be tickled pink by the s&p 500!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is there a reason they don't have culture and unity flipping? Really happy evangelizing pops can radiate so much happiness that over time it converts pops on nearby planets, the owner can build buildings and make decisions that add chances to make neighboring influenced pops more unhappy and more likely to rebel

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jay Rust posted:

Another reason I go human over other species is that they have the widest variety of pop appearances. This is very important to me

Maybe the other species have plenty of variety in appearances and you're just biased. :colbert:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gay Horney posted:

Is there a reason they don't have culture and unity flipping? Really happy evangelizing pops can radiate so much happiness that over time it converts pops on nearby planets, the owner can build buildings and make decisions that add chances to make neighboring influenced pops more unhappy and more likely to rebel

you actually do get a degree of ethics attraction from allied empires, iirc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Another reason I go human over other species is that they have the widest variety of pop appearances. This is very important to me

Oh so all these aliens just look the same to you humans?!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

So conquer the galaxy as Rogue Servitors? Seems easy to me.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I ended my inward perfection game by shielding the worlds of everyone I had a Casus on. Changed everyone to extremely peaceful xenophobes and in the process shielded enough worlds that I only had to have 14 settled to win. None of my species ever set foot on a planet that wasn't a Gaia world or a ring world. Starting a war and watching the enemy suicide itself against one of your 60k stations feels very good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The dev clash twitter accounts are loving hysterical.

https://twitter.com/xenonionnews/status/1055712233970458624?s=21

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Does anyone else make, like, a few dozen custom empires and force them to always spawn, so that you always have the same races cropping up in every game? Because that's what I do, and it helps give me the feel of a familiar, inhabited galaxy with its own lore.

Oh, yeah, I've made mine based around the various AI personalities, and for a couple of them I have even set up pre-defined solar systems (randomly generated using the GURPS Space sourcebook, which as has a terrifyingly detailed system for planet and system generation which generates pretty satisfying and somewhat plausible solar systems). I also have my own little mod for non-random portraits, names and flags for the fallen empires, enclaves, marauders and nomads.

Pretty sure I got their name from D20 modern or whatever it was called, and the planet name is some bastardization of Mars's name in some old pulpy sci-fi that Carl Sagan talked about on Cosmos

Migratory flock, I look forward to these guys in 2.2

Based on Kiadians from Distant Worlds

Mass Effect Turian rip-off

Based on Ackdarians from Distant Worlds

Based on an empire a friend of mine played in MP once

A number of the portraits are from a pack of animated aliens from the Halo franchise, I found them to generally be pretty well done and reassigned them to the vanilla species classes.

Looking forward to spending an inordinate amount of time updating them all (and making more) for when Le Guin and Megacorp comes out.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 26, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gay Horney posted:

Because culture slipping is a pretty daft concept.

Civ is one of the worst examples of it in a game. You have a city thats been Chinese for 2,000 years. Then suddenly a dude is like "Hey I'm elvis" and they go "Ah yeah actually we want to be American".

What can happen (i think) is if someone's world gains loads of unrest and rebels, if you're a big friendly xenophile empire they may ask to join your empire which makes a lot more sense. The primary thing they want to do is leave their old empire, maybe they do want to join your utopia, but I don't think a utopia merely existing is enough to inspire rebellion.

What there really needs to be is other things that can drive up unrest (soon to be crime). Like I'd be happy for an authoritarian slaver empire to get crime penalties when next to a big xenophile utopia as people see what they could have. However the slaver can counter this by building more enforcer buildings.

When diplomacy is revamped more interactions that can destabilise those types of empires would be cool. For example, funding or supporting a sort of underground railroad, helping slaves escape and settle on your worlds increases crime and obviously removes their pops. If discovered it gives a CB.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

DrSunshine posted:

Does anyone else make, like, a few dozen custom empires and force them to always spawn, so that you always have the same races cropping up in every game? Because that's what I do, and it helps give me the feel of a familiar, inhabited galaxy with its own lore.

Yep. I have a set of races for my 'after the fall of Man' games. It's supposed to take part after a human civ already won the game and some galactic cataclysm brought them down. There's several human remnant civs , ranging from ocean penal colony deathworld pirates, through neo-Roman mechanists that got cut off from the rest of humanity and regressed in technology, to lifeseeded space elf 'next step in evolution' and some folks that just awoke from stasis pods on a ruined earth.

Aliens include fanatic purifiers that used to be a servile species to humans, a skiing resort management AI gone crazy and a home defense system with some very strict settings..

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
More ways for utopian empires to mess with totalitarian ones in ways that are not an overt declaration of liberation war would definitely be nice.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

deathbagel posted:

Ok, I watched it and I did love that they were making fun of you at the beginning for not expanding as fast as Bratyn, then all of the sudden you swoop in and take a couple of his systems and cut him off from southern expansion and all of the sudden the tune changed to "oh, apparently he was just investing in ships to expand a different way!"

I wasn't exactly planning on an early war, but I did build some ships just to be careful. Then The Way grabbed a choke point right in front of me (MiAed my constructor), and they can't open borders due to inward perfection , so: War!

My expansion was hampered a bit due to a bug, my first colony planet had a level 8 anomoaly which I had to clear before I could settle it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Demiurge4 posted:

The dev clash twitter accounts are loving hysterical.

https://twitter.com/xenonionnews/status/1055712233970458624?s=21

The Xenonion isn't actually a dev account but it is indeed hysterical.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kitchner posted:

When diplomacy is revamped more interactions that can destabilise those types of empires would be cool. For example, funding or supporting a sort of underground railroad, helping slaves escape and settle on your worlds increases crime and obviously removes their pops. If discovered it gives a CB.

Slashrat posted:

More ways for utopian empires to mess with totalitarian ones in ways that are not an overt declaration of liberation war would definitely be nice.

I think what's fascinating about the branch office system as it interacts with the crime syndicate civic is that it's the closest we've seen to something resembling espionage or otherwise covert/indirect ways of influencing other empires as a robust game mechanic. Which makes me hope that as long as you have the DLC, it's open for modding to allow things other thing actual megacorps to get in on it. I want to set up revolutionary cells on other worlds that open up special subversion buildings that increase unrest, muck with the political power of pops or ethics spread, and generally make a planet's population ungovernable.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1055801139529244673?s=19

I had been wondering how this might go with Pirates no longer working the way they do

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

I'll make some new events, but they will all be CK2 references.

ChickenWing posted:

You joke, but seriously do this

You doubt me?!

(This is normally a colony event, I fired it on Earth by console)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

:getin:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

demon invasion endgame crisis led by the spawn of satan when

(you could make a CK2 reference and a doom reference simultaneously!)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

I had been wondering how this might go with Pirates no longer working the way they do

Even with pirates snaking isn't much of a problem - just let them trash whatever distant crap lays out in distant systems if you can't get a fleet there in time. This seems like a much more direct way of disincentivising the player than we had before since it will cost you more than time.

But nothing is going to stop me from racing ahead and cutting off my neighbours! Nothing!

Looks like we'll have another reason to go to war now though if you and someone else are trying to grab the same sector.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

space aztecs when

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To duck back into empirechat, I tend to jump all over the place in terms of ethics, names and portraits, but I tend to lean away from the badboy cuties. My plantoids tend to be Inward Perfection or Devouring Swarm, no middle ground. My hiveminds tend to be something you might expect to be hiveminded, like a fungoid, one of the parasitic portraits, or the jellyfish or cockroach. My sole win was as Hitchcock's The Birds, though.

One thing I want for a future update is the ability to set leader, ship, and planet namelists separately. I want to defend Hope's Aerie with a battleship named Pew-Pew-Brzz. Without manually renaming every ship in the fleet, thank you very much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dareon posted:

space aztecs when

HAK HAK HAK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

If you take a Bentham-esque position you could achieve that by playing as determined exterminators :v:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

You doubt me?!

Darkrenown is the best renown.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

wiegieman posted:

HAK HAK HAK

All this time it turns out the Aztecs in CK2 were fleeing from the far worse Chinese invasion of North America.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This doesn't seem like much of an issue since the main reason to have a snaking empire is during early game expansion. At that point, empire size isn't a big deal anyway.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

This doesn't seem like much of an issue since the main reason to have a snaking empire is during early game expansion. At that point, empire size isn't a big deal anyway.

That's not really accurate with the new empire size mechanics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chalks posted:

If early snaking now directly impacts early mineral or energy income it's kind of a huge deal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously I don't know the new numbers but usually I'd snake at the beginning to secure a constellation or three, and then expand into all those systems as quickly as possible anyway. Unless that kind of snaking gives a higher final number than just settling all the systems, I don't think it'll matter for all but the worst snakers, which is also the only people who had any real pirate issues before I think.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if i were comrade johan i'd be feeling very attacked right now

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Oh, awesome. Ever since 2.0, I've always thought about system acquisition in terms of minimizing external hyperlanes, maximizing internal 'lanes. It's nice to see that incorporated smoothly into another system.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So here's a thing for everyone who loves playing a federation.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1055844936451588099

It's to punish you for liking federations.

Also Wiz, it's still not to late to get an Andrew Ryan advisor.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Well that finally explains the giant maintenance-free fleet you can get.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Some extradimensional assholes appeared in my backyard with an endless fountain of huge fleets. They carved a big chunk of space out of what used to be the Great Khan's territory, the fractured remnants unable to even act as a speed bump to the Dickhead Ghosts. Fortunately I am a full-fledged superpower and managed to pour all my might into bottlenecking them at their fountain while a formerly-sleeping empire woke up and cleaned up the outlying areas. Benevolent Interventionists, indeed, they drove fleets across the entire galaxy to come get my back. Thanks dudes! I'm probably going to have to murder you eventually.

Dickhead Ghosts left me with some fancy Matter Disintegrators. Should I be integrating that into my fleet composition, and if so, how? I am not great at ship design. However, my enemies primarily consist of matter so I feel like this should be useful.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I bought apocalypse and started playing this again. I havent played since 1.5, so I have some newbie questions. I'm playing as the Commonwealth of Man that comes with the game because the other humans looked boring.

I went to war with my dickhead neighbors fairly early because they were super aggressive and doing a big build up and were not human. I absolutely crushed them and occupied their home planet, and got all my demands. Unfortunately, this means I have disgusting xenos in my empire on a planet I don't want. How do I get rid of it? Can I just bomb it from orbit until it's dead? Is there an abandon planet button hidden somewhere? As of right now it's rotting away in a sector by itself.

I researched genetic engineering and it says I have a point to spend but I can't figure out how to do it. How?

What does the Set Default Rights button on the Species screen do? Is that just for any xenos that come in, or does it effect my superior humans too?

My goal for xenos is extermination. What's the best way to go about it? I have base game plus utopia and apocalypse. No story packs or other DLC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Deuce posted:

Dickhead Ghosts left me with some fancy Matter Disintegrators. Should I be integrating that into my fleet composition, and if so, how? I am not great at ship design. However, my enemies primarily consist of matter so I feel like this should be useful.

Disintegrators replace lasers and are well worth integrating into your fleet, yes. The biggest difference is they have extra hull damage on top of the normal laser modifiers.

quote:

Unfortunately, this means I have disgusting xenos in my empire on a planet I don't want. How do I get rid of it? Can I just bomb it from orbit until it's dead? Is there an abandon planet button hidden somewhere? As of right now it's rotting away in a sector by itself.
Once the last pop has left the planet it gets abandoned. If you don't want the xenos at all then go into their rights and set them to undesirables and use the extermination purge. Will make some other empires upset.

quote:

I researched genetic engineering and it says I have a point to spend but I can't figure out how to do it. How?
Go to the species screen and click your pop. Modify the template and apply it. Will cost research time.

quote:

What does the Set Default Rights button on the Species screen do? Is that just for any xenos that come in, or does it effect my superior humans too?
Only the rights for new xenos in your empire.

quote:

My goal for xenos is extermination. What's the best way to go about it? I have base game plus utopia and apocalypse. No story packs or other DLC.
Conquer and purge. The extermination purge option only takes a few years. For a more broad look you'll want to invest heavily into minerals and make sure your fleets are always at capacity. Spam up stations to your cap and fill them with anchorages to help increase that cap and make sure no neighbor ever goes above equal fleet power. Try to pick off the federation builders and other xenophiles before they make defensive pacts then turn around and go after the loners afterwards.

E: Also highly suggest Leviathans and Distant Stars. They both add a ton of great content - especially leviathans to have a midgame threat to conquer.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 26, 2018