Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

trade wars are good, and easy to win

I got some cash ready to buy, but where is the bottom? Looking like tech misses will take us to midterms, and following that we will have the Chinese tariff increases/negotiations to look forward to bringing down the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Treasuries are gaining significantly along with the drop in equities, and the 10-year yield has dropped nearly 15 basis points since Monday. If this was due to trade, I would expect both equities and treasuries to sell off simultaneously like they did earlier in the month over fear of inflationary pressures.

In reality, this near correction reminds me a lot of what happened back in February. Tech is leading the sell off due to angst over forecasts and bringing the broader market down along with it. Tech has been the locomotive of the rally over the past few years, and now that it is starting to slow indicates that the expansion is reaching a more mature level where other sectors need to pick up the slack. If the trade concerns are having an effect, it is that those other sectors are currently handicapped due to increased producer prices; limiting their earnings growth.

I also want to note that the S&P bounced off a 10% correction today, just like it did in February. Part of me wants to think these selloffs are just a way for investors to feel better about a never-ending bull market.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to ensure I understand. “Correction”=drop, right?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's so tempting to pick up more Nvidia around 190 and AMD around 15-17 but gently caress I'm trying not to throw more cash at shares at the moment

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Chakan posted:

A "correction" is generally assumed to be a 10% drop from market highs. However this is very CNBC-esque, as it makes a lot of good headlines.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chakan posted:

You see, the stocks were incorrectly high, so they are being corrected to be lower

When the stocks were lower, and were moving higher, that was an incorrection

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Speaking of uncorrecting, I wouldn't be surprised if SPX finishes up today.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Another no volume melt up, this is such a retail trap its unbelievable

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
this poo poo's going green, went long when the Qs hit -1.5 and kept going

Hope it makes up for trying to short TSLA, again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
bro.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
All out of QQQs, another baller fuckin day

tried to tell you that rally was a retail trap, no volume melt up trash the algos were ust sitting and waiting

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Just out of curiosity, what's a retail trap?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Freezer posted:

general market sentiment right now is down, when you have a bounce on no volume intraday when most news out there is not great- its usually a setup. The trading money gets quiet for a bit and lets passive money trickle in. Maybe thats astrology, maybe not. 'retail' refers to amateur investors basically.

edit: buying a bunch of CTL

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Woodchip posted:

this poo poo's going green, went long when the Qs hit -1.5 and kept going

Hope it makes up for trying to short TSLA, again.

Hope you didn’t cover your short position today :lol:

FBI outta nowhere

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lote posted:

Hope you didn’t cover your short position today :lol:

FBI outta nowhere

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/26/tesla-faces-criminal-probe-over-allegedly-misstating-production-numbers-and-misleading-investors-wsj.html

For context.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
BAH GAWD, THATS DA POPO'S MUSIC!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

:eyepop:

October has been bad to me. I hope to end the year long and strong with a Christmas miracle.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
let me get this straight, TSLA is being criminally investigated by the FBI and the stock is green on a massively red day?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sometimes it seems like TSLA goes up even when it's got good reason to go down

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

greasyhands posted:

let me get this straight, TSLA is being criminally investigated by the FBI and the stock is green on a massively red day?

It's well documented that both the FBI and SEC are haters.

Freezer posted:

Whenever you see someone saying they are glad they're buying stocks "on sale".

Harry fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 26, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There has to be institutional buying, because if this is retail buying, this is a delusional level of confidence.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

greasyhands posted:

Dr Nick says, "with numbers like these, it must be criminal!"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lote posted:

There has to be institutional buying, because if this is retail buying, this is a delusional level of confidence.

Volume was really low on the buy side today if I’m reading this candle chart correctly

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It’s insane and awesome. I somehow profited in each direction with puts and calls today but it was nothing more than dumb luck gambling

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

spencer for hire posted:

it was nothing more than dumb luck gambling

Story of my life, and a great thread title.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is every day that it goes up.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Residency Evil posted:

I've always wondered: do most of you dudes in here just see this as gambling/fun, or are you guys day-trading away non-trivial portions of your portfolios?

I was putting away the maximum into my 401k and had money to spare, so I started a taxable account.

I initially started with a mix of stock picking and ETFs, trying for half and half, but the stocks did so well that I was usually 75-90% stocks. In the end I sold my stocks for a down payment on my house and have now moved everything into ETFs. I feel like an adult.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Boooooooooooring

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm a firm believer that anything other than a 3-fund portfolio is asking to fail, but just for fun I allowed myself $1,000 of fuckaround money.

It's $2,000 now so I have no doubt it'll be $0 soon.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think something happens to Tesla in the next two weeks that craters the stock price below $250. The 10Q gonna be bad. A major exec leaving or getting subpoenas. Credit rating downgrade. I’m just gonna leave this here for later and you can quote me when it blows up in my face.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lote posted:

I think something happens to Tesla in the next two weeks that craters the stock price below $250. The 10Q gonna be bad. A major exec leaving or getting subpoenas. Credit rating downgrade. I’m just gonna leave this here for later and you can quote me when it blows up in my face.

TSLA to $500 confirmed.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
CTL down for no reason, I think. Man

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

fougera posted:

CTL down for no reason, I think. Man

I bought a bunch today!

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

greasyhands posted:

I bought a bunch today!

Do you see a reason why its down? this is stupid. And I'm stupid for owning so much. Oh well. it's going back to 23.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Lote posted:

All this (except the credit rating I think) has happened at least once in the past couple months and had no lasting impact. The stock is totally irrational. It is definitely going to eventually crater but I have given up on thinking any one normal thing will do it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This thread's a lot more fun with all of this v o l a t i l i t y.

This should be the current thread title

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What I meant was: YOLO buy MU options

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

fougera posted:

Do you see a reason why its down? this is stupid. And I'm stupid for owning so much. Oh well. it's going back to 23.

I didnt see any reason, I think its just a victim of the market. Just think tho- that DRIP buyin cheapass shares

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah I bought some shares because I figured it's a safe bet with that dividend that even if it takes a while to recover I'll make some change in the interim.

Put a limit sell order for 90% of the 52-week high and will just forget about it until it executes even if it takes forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Market already down 1% with 18 hours to go before market open. If Monday is a big down day we’re going to be swimming in delicious volatility and red days all week. Get your outs ready.