Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Hargrimm posted:

The influence of Brig at the OWL level is felt even without her on the field. Because while Brig may not be actively used much recently, neither is Tracer. That's because both teams know, if one of them picks Tracer the other will autopick Brig and destroy the ever-loving poo poo out of her. Tracer has gone from a central DPS in every game to a non-entity, due to Brig being even POSSIBLE to pick, without her having to be actually picked.

Saebyeolbe was just removed from South Korea's World Cup roster, because while he is the best Tracer player in the world, any Brigitte player can shut him down so hard it's not even worth having him available.

There are plenty of counters like this across the game. Probably every character should have a hard counter that you can take if you want to commit that much of your game plan to counter picking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Widow needs a harder counter. While OWL widow duels are fun to watch sometimes it gets tiring after every match.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Widow needs a harder counter. While OWL widow duels are fun to watch sometimes it gets tiring after every match.

based on my games lately? its dva or lucio. both can absolutely crowd her poo poo and take her out of the fight. lucio has to get to her from a fairly safe angle though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think it would be cool if certain chars like roadhog and genji had no critbox or if their crit box was only exposed from the back. Then genji could just hunt her down over walls. It would be an interesting interaction.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZbfcGCrJNw
:tinfoil: Everything past 2:15 is fluff btw

edit: nm Jeff said no new map for Blizzcon

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 23, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Might as well post the PTR notes in this thread too.

quote:

General

- Made jump height consistent across hero roster

Mercy

Valkyrie

- Ultimate cost reduced 15%
- Healing per second increased from 50 to 60

Reaper

Hellfire Shotguns

- Spread randomization reduced by 50%

The Reaping

- Life steal increased from 20% to 30% of damage dealt

Roadhog

Chain Hook

- Decreased the delay before pulling a hooked target from 0.5 seconds to 0.3 seconds
- Now greatly reduces the target’s momentum upon being hooked
- Cooldown now begins immediately, instead of after the target has been pulled

Scrap Gun

- Spread pattern adjusted for both primary and secondary fire
- Spread randomization reduced by 50%

Whole Hog

- Knockback maximum velocity increased by 25% (from 8 to 10 meters per second)
- Horizontal recoil decreased slightly

Symmetra

Photon Projector

- Primary fire beam charges up 20% faster

Plus bug fixes and support for Windows Spatial Audio.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh man, those are some juicy hog buffs. :getin:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

megane posted:

Oh man, those are some juicy hog buffs. :getin:

No way this makes it to live.
He seems stronger, better and his hook feels a lot snappier than ever before.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The Sym change feels really good. She was doing okay but her primary fire was just absolutely useless in 95% of situations, so this should help. I think she ought to have a tad more survivability, maybe 50 more shields or a slow shield regen effect while her beam is on a shield/wall or something, but other than that she's nearly in a good place.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Happy to see shotguns made a bit less videogamey.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

They're reducing the "spread randomization," not the spread itself. Could be wrong but to me that sounds like it'll still have the same spread on average, it'll just feel more consistent in where the individual damage pellets end up.

If anything that's MORE video gamey, but I'm fine with it, especially on Hog.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Natural language :argh:

It sounds like they're reducing the deviation and thus weighting pellets so they tend to land nearer the center, but "50% less randomness" is painfully ambiguous

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

You can reduce deviation without weighting towards center.

I assume they want to keep the average spread the same and just give it a more uniform distribution, because narrowing it increases effective range. Would be especially weird for Reaper when paired with another, already arguably unnecessary buff.

Just normalizing the existing pellet spread on the other hand, would feel good (consistent expectation and fewer "I feel like that should have done more/less damage" moments on lucky/unlucky clipshots) while not making a change to potential engage range that requires later tweaks to damage falloff.

But yeah, with that language who knows, especially when it comes to their track record on those particular heroes. :iiam:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 25, 2018

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
They specifically call out Reaper as being specialized in close range, so giving him a 50% spread reduction (which would be insane and basically make him Soldier/McCree with a shotgun) seems counter to that. Making his spread more predictable seems reasonable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people have done comparisons for new hog's spread and it is tightened enough to make a difference. you'll 1shot more consistently on a hook and it's definitely noticeable in fights

the hook changes are way more impactful to his overall usefulness but he'll def be a little better in a fight even when it's on cooldown

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently Reaper's spread is now this weird set of circles: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122943 and it actually makes him slightly worse at midrange since the outer circle will all miss.

Seems like a bug though, since Roadhog's doesn't do this.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 25, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That looks bugged, yes. But then again, it's Blizzard, so who knows.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The Sym change feels really good. She was doing okay but her primary fire was just absolutely useless in 95% of situations, so this should help. I think she ought to have a tad more survivability, maybe 50 more shields or a slow shield regen effect while her beam is on a shield/wall or something, but other than that she's nearly in a good place.

They had to either give her a bigger ammo clip or reduce the beam ramp up speed because even when you managed to get the beam fully powered you were just a second or two from having to reload and lose all the momentum you had built up.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Max Awfuls posted:

They had to either give her a bigger ammo clip or reduce the beam ramp up speed because even when you managed to get the beam fully powered you were just a second or two from having to reload and lose all the momentum you had built up.

I think that's intentional and is a hint that you should get most of your beam charge off of barriers

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

I think that's intentional and is a hint that you should get most of your beam charge off of barriers

Yes, but even if you charge it up on a Rein shield, you go from "I'm going to dive in because I now am an unstoppable murder beam" to "poo poo, I'm a just a helpless squishy standing righ in front of the enemy team while reloading" awfully fast.

On a totally different note, does anybody else vastly prefer the night versions for the Hollywood and Eichenwald maps? It's not the Halloween aspect of it, I've just caught both of the original day versions playing Arcade and it reminded me how I'd rather they didn't revert to the daytime versions after Halloween, they look so much better during nightime.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's nice for variety's sake

clearly there should be server wide day/night cycles that change the lighting on the map depending on what time of day it is there :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Why do people like deathmatch? FFA modes in any shooter are always a dumb loving killsteal fest where more than half of your deaths are to whoever spawned in behind you. In a game with a diverse hero roster where people can pick the best possible killsteal moveset, it's even worse. And without randomized map playlists they can just pick the most optimal killsteal moveset FOR THAT WEEK'S MAP (looking at you, Lucios who never leave the catwalks on Chateau), which is Dumb Bullshit Prime.

I just won Chateau at the last minute with an angry Hog murder spree where I mopped up several rooms full of Moira, Lucio, and Mei fighting each other (many of which I did not get credit for), because those are all anyone ever loving plays. I don't know how I managed to even land in top 4 when every time I spawned outdoors I was immediately Lucio-booped to death. Got my loot box and I'm never going back. That mode is dumb garbage and anyone who likes it is also dumb garbage.

I unironically look forward to when Mystery Deathmatch rotates back in and people can't pick their cheesy bullshit of choice, wish that was a fixed option.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 26, 2018

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I like it because I can practice aiming and no one flips out when I pick Reaper.

(Actually they do, because in a world where Moira and Brigitte exist in ffa, Reaper is "cheesy".)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No-junkrat/brig/moira Chateau DM is fun.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why the gently caress does ANYONE like this option if I don't like it?!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Well, so far the answers have been "I like to use it as aiming practice" and "it's fun in this fairy tale circumstance that never happens." :colbert:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Unsinkabear posted:

Well, so far the answers have been "I like to use it as aiming practice" and "it's fun in this fairy tale circumstance that never happens." :colbert:

Custom games do in fact happen.

It's also fun with those heroes if you just stay out of that one room they turn into slaughterhouses.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

Custom games do in fact happen.

It's also fun with those heroes if you just stay out of that one room they turn into slaughterhouses.

Custom games sound like they could be fun, yeah. Honestly I play Hog and Mei in there so those individual hero picks aren't much of a problem. It's the combination of randomized chaos and the wonky kill attribution on already-wounded people that drives me nuts. One or the other might be okay. But when some one comes around the corner at half health and I boltgun them in the face with no one else around, I'm pretty sure I was the cause of death and I would like my point please.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

Why do people like deathmatch? FFA modes in any shooter are always a dumb loving killsteal fest where more than half of your deaths are to whoever spawned in behind you. In a game with a diverse hero roster where people can pick the best possible killsteal moveset, it's even worse. And without randomized map playlists they can just pick the most optimal killsteal moveset FOR THAT WEEK'S MAP (looking at you, Lucios who never leave the catwalks on Chateau), which is Dumb Bullshit Prime.

I just won Chateau at the last minute with an angry Hog murder spree where I mopped up several rooms full of Moira, Lucio, and Mei fighting each other (many of which I did not get credit for), because those are all anyone ever loving plays. I don't know how I managed to even land in top 4 when every time I spawned outdoors I was immediately Lucio-booped to death. Got my loot box and I'm never going back. That mode is dumb garbage and anyone who likes it is also dumb garbage.

I unironically look forward to when Mystery Deathmatch rotates back in and people can't pick their cheesy bullshit of choice, wish that was a fixed option.

DM FFA is probably my favorite mode. You had a bad experience maybe? Sometimes DM is filled with lovely characters to play against. Lately it's been dominated by McCree, Tracer, and Doomfist. I tend to switch around between characters a few times every match, much like the main game of OW, it's important to react to what's going on around you. If there are a number of widows and Genjis, pick Winston! Lots of tanks? Go Reaper! Too many Pharahs? Pick a hit scan and go crazy! Lots of heroes lacking movement abilities? Go Pharah, Lucio, or Doom and knock people off the map all day!

What I'm saying is look at the roster of who is playing and pick a hero that counters a few to several of them, then seek them out. Or counter the "cheesey bullshit." Or deploy your own version of it!

If you're going for a swim regularly, STOP GOING OUTSIDE. There are far more spawn points indoors than outside so it shouldn't be an issue if you avoid ledges. If Lucio stays on the catwalk, then don't go there and deny him kills. It's not rocket science.

There is no honor in FFA. It's entirely about stacking the odds in your favor as much as possible. Also clever uses of skills really shine in FFA I think. If that doesn't sound fun then FFA is not a game mode for you. Personally, I love FFA game modes in every game and I think it's a blast.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why the gently caress does ANYONE like this option if I don't like it?!

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I like DM because it's one of the few modes where I don't have to depend on the idiots on my team and if I lose it's my fault alone, plus it's a fast way to grind the weekly arcade boxes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd like dm more if you couldn't play the heroes that don't even need to aim in it. stuff like moira and brigitte are antifun in that game mode

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, but only as long as we can keep Winston. I don't think he's really dominating the mode.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

DM FFA is probably my favorite mode. You had a bad experience maybe? Sometimes DM is filled with lovely characters to play against. Lately it's been dominated by McCree, Tracer, and Doomfist. I tend to switch around between characters a few times every match, much like the main game of OW, it's important to react to what's going on around you. If there are a number of widows and Genjis, pick Winston! Lots of tanks? Go Reaper! Too many Pharahs? Pick a hit scan and go crazy! Lots of heroes lacking movement abilities? Go Pharah, Lucio, or Doom and knock people off the map all day!

What I'm saying is look at the roster of who is playing and pick a hero that counters a few to several of them, then seek them out. Or counter the "cheesey bullshit." Or deploy your own version of it!

If you're going for a swim regularly, STOP GOING OUTSIDE. There are far more spawn points indoors than outside so it shouldn't be an issue if you avoid ledges. If Lucio stays on the catwalk, then don't go there and deny him kills. It's not rocket science.

There is no honor in FFA. It's entirely about stacking the odds in your favor as much as possible. Also clever uses of skills really shine in FFA I think. If that doesn't sound fun then FFA is not a game mode for you. Personally, I love FFA game modes in every game and I think it's a blast.

What do you recommend for too many Moiras and Junkrats? And of course I stopped going outside, that doesn't make it any less annoying when you do spawn there and get promptly booped with no agency, and then have to through the killcam and respawn timer a second back-to-back time, while other people are running around racking up kills and lengthening the score gap. Even if it only happens one spawn in three or four, that blows. And you don't need to be on the catwalk itself either, there are a LOT of valid boop angles. There were two good Lucios in that match and they gave me a dang education.

There's a lot of people smugly emptyposting that one reply so I guess the irony in my "if you like this you're trash" wasn't clear. I'm glad you guys like DM, have fun in there. I just personally don't enjoy it at all and was looking for an insight into why it works for you weirdos. Good answers all around, I'll keep loving with it for aim practice and see if anything ever clicks. I could definitely be smarter about switching and playing Mystery Heroes more will probably give me a feel for that, but I think no matter how much I improve it's just a bit too luck-based for me to really love (and seriously, is no one else having the kill attribution problem?).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

After being in an FFA game in which the entire field got beat by zenyatta 20-10, I don't complain about FFA hero picks anymore. He beat all the brigs, moiras, dooms and hogs by a large margin.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I do think the situation where you spawn and are immediately killed is pretty lovely, especially because you can be basically dead before you even load in. There should be some sort of immunity period when you respawn that lasts like 3 seconds or until you start hammering keys. It's not going to help you much if there is someone poised to frag you, but at least let people load in before they die.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FFA can be good because you have no team so you can just do whatever and have fun. I've been surprised by how much variety there is in picks, even if some of it is clearly just good players handicapping themselves.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd like dm more if you couldn't play the heroes that don't even need to aim in it. stuff like moira and brigitte are antifun in that game mode
Those characters are anti-fun in general but I don't think it has anything to do with them not aiming.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

What do you recommend for too many Moiras and Junkrats? And of course I stopped going outside, that doesn't make it any less annoying when you do spawn there and get promptly booped with no agency, and then have to through the killcam and respawn timer a second back-to-back time, while other people are running around racking up kills and lengthening the score gap. Even if it only happens one spawn in three or four, that blows. And you don't need to be on the catwalk itself either, there are a LOT of valid boop angles. There were two good Lucios in that match and they gave me a dang education.

There's a lot of people smugly emptyposting that one reply so I guess the irony in my "if you like this you're trash" wasn't clear. I'm glad you guys like DM, have fun in there. I just personally don't enjoy it at all and was looking for an insight into why it works for you weirdos. Good answers all around, I'll keep loving with it for aim practice and see if anything ever clicks. I could definitely be smarter about switching and playing Mystery Heroes more will probably give me a feel for that, but I think no matter how much I improve it's just a bit too luck-based for me to really love (and seriously, is no one else having the kill attribution problem?).

I've played dozen of hours of FFA and I don't know if I've ever spawned and been immediately killed. Sorry about your lovely luck - it does happen... a few nights ago I was LOL'ing because as Pharah I kept knocking the same Reaper into the drink shortly after he spawned.

Against Junkrats I favor Pharah and Roadhog. Against Moira def Roadhog. Mei can take out Moiras easily too after they use their spirit walk skill.

I've been having great success lately with Symmetra. If you're clever with turret placement you can have a fantastic time. Instead of deathtrap rooms, hunt down engagements and toss in a few turrets. The other players will be too busy to notice you arriving on the scene to ruin their day.

I'm learning to play Sombra lately too. She can see low health players through walls. Stay invisible and swoop in to steal kills.

Play deviously and play dirty, that's the whole fun of FFA.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've never gotten camping the respawn animation down. I can never snipe people when they come out of mercy rezzes even though it looks like it should be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Booping Lucios off with Pharah is fun and good. They sound so betrayed, and they're almost always jumping around and fairly easy to do.