Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

robot train has been a thing in canada and america since the late 60s

where

again, i am not talking about a subway train or something. i'm talking about freight. class 1 railroad examples pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i see tori is back and everyone is arguing about transportation again. balance has returned to yospos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

incels interlinked posted:

i see tori is back and everyone is arguing about transportation again. balance has returned to yospos

tbf this transportation argument is 100% relevant to the thread topic

self driving cars do not exist, and can not exist, and if we were close, we would see automated trains and defense trucking (because nobody cares if you kill a few civilians in a warzone)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

metros, as a thing, are wildly different from operating a freight train in the middle of America's great western desolation

1. they're heavily instrumented -- the track itself knows where the trains are
2. all traffic on the metro is controlled by the metro's owner

class 1 railroads are a hugely different space. all the "brains," so to speak, are in the cab of the train. traffic is heterogeneous and not very predictable. it's 100% up to the engineers to avoid killing themselves or other people

as far as automation goes it's much more, uh, car-like

yea

also the metro tracks are blocked off so its p hard for humans/cars/etc to get on them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

twitter threads are garbage and unreadable

did you accidentally miss the link and read your own posts instead?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The country in general is getting high off sniffing the tech industry’s farts, we’ve got the media talking about how robots and AI are going to change everything when AI doesn’t exist and robots are dumb as gently caress. A hospital chain here is running ads that show their hospital ORs with hologram tanks and poo poo. People think Amazon is going to deliver stuff via drone despite the fact that large drones have a 25-35 minute battery life. People are completely out of touch with reality.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Cat Face Joe posted:

fear is the profit killer

capitalists fear being annihilated by a wave of righteous, white-hot liability lawsuits (sometimes)
"liability? No, lia-balls-to-the-wall!"

fishmech posted:

robot train

TELL ME MORE ABOUT robot train

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The country in general is getting high off sniffing the tech industry’s farts, we’ve got the media talking about how robots and AI are going to change everything when AI doesn’t exist and robots are dumb as gently caress. A hospital chain here is running ads that show their hospital ORs with hologram tanks and poo poo. People think Amazon is going to deliver stuff via drone despite the fact that large drones have a 25-35 minute battery life. People are completely out of touch with reality.

capitalism has gotta keep on selling specific versions of a future with continued growth always (/right up until a crisis, because unlimited growth is impossible)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where

again, i am not talking about a subway train or something. i'm talking about freight. class 1 railroad examples pls

oh look the little baby doesn't understand that it's the same principles, and freight railroads are unwilling to spend the billions of dollars required to upgrade long distance routes to suitable standards, since really all they'd be saving is the pay of a single member on a 2 or 3 person crew. iirc it was in 1962 that Canadian National rail implemented a few hundred kilometer stretch of automated freight service in test operation through manitoba or alberta, and used it for revenue service from terminal to terminal - and simply didn't see any evidence it would be worth it to extend to national service.

we invented it decades ago and we know precisely how to do it, it's just not practical. that first automated line in montreal in 67 was also removed from automated use because it wasn't worth keeping beyond the expo, the first automated rail line in the states also has long insisted on running at least one manual run per operator per day just in case their automated systems ever broke down.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

no it doesn't. when i was in the ufcw we supported them because they don't shift employment in a harmful way (Stores that try to cut staffing because they get them in are stores that end up with them constantly breaking becasue you need to have people on hand to monitor each set and that's why you had poo poo like a lotta walmarts and other non union stores bringing them in, cutting staff, than removing their self checkouts in a huff and rehiring people)

everyone who got replaced by a robot can just get a job as a robot repairman like in the bad willy wonka

Apr 7, 2003

Mods please change my name to Willy Wanka

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

everyone who got replaced by a robot can just get a job as a robot repairman like in the bad willy wonka

its more of you get a job as a moronic old person herder, which is already a large part of being a regular cashier in the first place

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

oh look the little baby doesn't understand that it's the same principles, and freight railroads are unwilling to spend the billions of dollars required to upgrade long distance routes to suitable standards, since really all they'd be saving is the pay of a single member on a 2 or 3 person crew. iirc it was in 1962 that Canadian National rail implemented a few hundred kilometer stretch of automated freight service in test operation through manitoba or alberta, and used it for revenue service from terminal to terminal - and simply didn't see any evidence it would be worth it to extend to national service.

we invented it decades ago and we know precisely how to do it, it's just not practical. that first automated line in montreal in 67 was also removed from automated use because it wasn't worth keeping beyond the expo, the first automated rail line in the states also has long insisted on running at least one manual run per operator per day just in case their automated systems ever broke down.

:dudsmile:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
self-driving cars are going to happen as soon as driving by humans is rendered illegal and all roads moved underground/onto bridges, imo, like trains.

how that's going to ever happen is an exercise for the reader

Apr 7, 2003

The UN outright came out and said we’re all gonna fuckin die by 2050 in large part due to our mobile pollution spewers and people still can’t get off the driving addiction. There will be literal public executions if anyone tries to reduce driving via legislation.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the class 1s are still having a shitfit over PTC afaik and dragging their feet as hard as possible; for a system that amounts to "driver assist"

and I think they only have to apply it to the signaled lines and ignore the warrant portions

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The UN outright came out and said we’re all gonna fuckin die by 2050 in large part due to our mobile pollution spewers and people still can’t get off the driving addiction. There will be literal public executions if anyone tries to reduce driving via legislation.

we're going to have a nazi party for cars

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the climate report says that's when we'll first really start seeing the effects of climate change if nothing is done

granted, nothing is likely to be done to extend that by much, but that's "just" when we begin seeing coral reefs get bleached to death and stuff

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cars can't drive in the ocean so i think this is a self-solving problem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the climate report says that's when we'll first really start seeing the effects of climate change if nothing is done

granted, nothing is likely to be done to extend that by much, but that's "just" when we begin seeing coral reefs get bleached to death and stuff

yeah iirc for poo poo to get real real bad you have to wait until 2070 or 2100 and everyone in any position of power now will be long dead by then so woo party :toot:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's stupid to conflate the two

one is a dumb gadget that works fine but isn't useful for anything, and the other one doesn't loving exist.

(why is it the one that doesn't exist solicits billions of dollars in investment and fawning puff pieces from newspapers?)

oh you sweet summer child

trying to fix something that’s broken always carries the very real possibility of wasting a lot of money just to have to concede in the end that the thing can’t be fixed after all

whereas creating something great that just loving works, from nothing, and without any such thing already existing, will almost certainly have a huge payout, ~ cha-ching! ~

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/RochelleRitchie/status/1055867631461416962

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

he got caught because he checked the tracking info of the packages on his cell phone :thumbsup:

also if anyone hasn't seen it yet here's his van:

i don't see any infowars stickers but i guess they could be on the other side. p sure i see at least one ddees image though which is nice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i bet the people at kinko's love that guy

Apr 7, 2003

Galaxy brain : use your cellphone to track your terrorism bombs in real time

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

he got caught because he checked the tracking info of the packages on his cell phone :thumbsup:
Source?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

friend relayed it to me so it could be wrong, all i'm seeing on news sites is "Multiple law enforcement sources told ABC News that the suspect was tracked down using a mobile phone." so idk

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
i know im a hosed up human being, so is it weird that i find that van less creepy than some airbrushed vans?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

El_Elegante posted:

i know im a hosed up human being, so is it weird that i find that van less creepy than some airbrushed vans?

wrong

https://twitter.com/DRJACOBRAM/status/1055853588235333633

Apr 7, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

Yes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

back when i lived in the shittier part of florida there was no fewer than three vans that looked exactly like that one, some with significantly more poo poo glued to them, that you'd just pass on the road every other day, so i'm sorta desensitized to them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

one guy had an entire nativity scene bolted to the top that would light up at night, and all the windows were covered with lots and lots of rambling about jesus and the end times and repenting, that was fun to watch drive by

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

thanks
*launches self into sun*

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shame Boy posted:

one guy had an entire nativity scene bolted to the top that would light up at night, and all the windows were covered with lots and lots of rambling about jesus and the end times and repenting, that was fun to watch drive by
I had a years-long feud with this dude

Apr 7, 2003

Ehy

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
he steal your girl?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
you

vs the guy she told you not to worry about

Apr 7, 2003

Ornate gently caress vans are way overdue for a comeback.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you

vs the guy she told you not to worry about

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

El_Elegante posted:

he steal your girl?
Nah, he's just a humongous creep and he hogs parking spots with his mini-fleet of whacko wagons.