Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Celtic is also good if you don't want to deal with managing some ridiculously large club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benfica is usually pretty good because you can win most games pretty handily but you also really need to, because it’s a real tough head to head with Porto

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sassassin posted:

Personalities work a lot like playing attributes in that once a player reaches 24/25 they're less likely to see much change, positive or negative (unless it's injury-related).

Is there any point mentoring with senior players that are only "fairly" [good trait]?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there any point mentoring with senior players that are only "fairly" [good trait]?

Fairly Professional players with not-horrible Determination, definitely, it's still a good rating in a key development attribute. Ambitious, maybe. Fairly Determined players can make good temporary mentors for young players coming through who have low ratings in it. You can get a lot of awful personalities in these punk kids and your best mentors can't take care of all of them at once (ideally you want more mentors than mentees per group to maximise the effects).

Fairly Loyal is worthless, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So I've just won the Champions League with HJK and I'm debating whether to stop my FM18 save and move over to FM19, or wait it out until the beta is over.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is there a way you can tell someone’s gonna be a locker room cancer before you bring them in

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Double post

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

LionYeti posted:

Is there a way you can tell someone’s gonna be a locker room cancer before you bring them in

There's no guaranteed way, but looking at personalities will give you a good guideline

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

Starting with PSG is basically easy mode. Piles of money, an rear end Man who you can actually rely on, and even if you're terrible you should win the league pretty easily.

Conversely, starting with any other French team will cause you to tear your hair out for the above reason

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

So I've just won the Champions League with HJK and I'm debating whether to stop my FM18 save and move over to FM19, or wait it out until the beta is over.

Wait until beta is over. They haven't finished nerfing Liverpool and Arsenal players yet.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
No need to nerf Arsenal players... Haven't you heard, this is our year?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Nerfing Liverpool? That'll be a first.

I look forward to FM19's god-like coaching stats for Mourinho, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God Mourinhos tendency in 18 to amass 10 years of league titles due to his lovely brand of football being "in vogue" with the match engine gave me the shits.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My finest achievement in FM18 was getting Mourinho fired from Manchester United...

and then this year in the real world it turns out he was poo poo all along and is almost certainly going to be fired for real.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jason Sextro posted:

Nerfing Liverpool? That'll be a first.

I look forward to FM19's god-like coaching stats for Mourinho, though.

Jordan Henderson's one of the top 10 defensive mids in the world.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The number of blocked PKs in this Beta is making my hair hurt. Also, I've managed to take Coventry all the way to the end of January with only one Offside call and only 2 losses. So there's that, Miles.

sassassin posted:

Jordan Henderson's one of the top 10 defensive mids in the world.

Is he not?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

XBenedict posted:

Is he not?

He is not.

Data lock was this morning and the Football League head missed one of my emails with changes to half a dozen players in it. So I guess I have to wait until the editor is out like all the riff raff.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

XBenedict posted:

Is he not?

I mean journalists were saying Klopp on plays him because he is captain so...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The release match engine loving sucks and they've introduced twice as many bugs as they've fixed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

The release match engine loving sucks and they've introduced twice as many bugs as they've fixed.

footballmanager.txt

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

This has been the case for at least the last couple of years

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fm18 was the first game ive skipped in about 20 years, and it sounds like fm19 is gonna be the second!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

This has been the case for at least the last couple of years

I'm pretty sure I preferred the FM17 beta to what it eventually became. Didn't play the 16 one iirc. Skipped 18.

It's not just a personal preference thing, they've got it so Messi scores 4 goals a season because the AM strata is borked (Ronny does great though playing as a ST).

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So fairly loyal is code for youre a poo poo human being but don't sue us?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So fairly loyal is code for youre a poo poo human being but don't sue us?

Not exactly, Fairly Loyal means that their Loyalty rating is 15 or over, but everything else is unremarkable or worse. Under the hood he might be Spineless but he might even have 13/14 for key development attributes, and just need a little mentoring for a better-sounding personality.

I think a lot of the poo poo human beings actually have great in-game personalities (two drink-driving goalkeepers were 'Model Citizens', for example).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
To add to this, if you're trying to figure out hidden attributes (or filter based on them) Media Handling Style is also a useful thing to look for - an uninformative personality description like Balanced or Fairly Loyal can still have a solid development or on-field personality under the hood, and the right media handling style can give you a good lead on whether they do.

sassassin posted:

I think a lot of the poo poo human beings actually have great in-game personalities (two drink-driving goalkeepers were 'Model Citizens', for example).

I mean Lloris is a French citizen so that might even still be accurate.

(who is the other one?)

Review embargo apparently lifted today but who cares we're all hopelessly addicted and were playing it in beta with the same code the reviewers apparently got?

(widespread love, apparently, except that Eurogamer really hated the new training module)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

John Terry won Dad of the Year so let's not pretend that you can't be a Model Citizen and also a complete failure of a human being

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's Model Citizen by professional soccer player standards. If they haven't participated in the gang-rape of a minor in the last 6 months, they're basically Christ himself.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean Lloris is a French citizen so that might even still be accurate.

(who is the other one?)

That Plymouth goalkeeper that killed some kids.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

sassassin posted:

That Plymouth goalkeeper that killed some kids.

And if you point this out at Plymouth the stewards throw you out the ground allagedly (IRL Not the game)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I wonder what Ched Evans' personality is/was.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Julio Cruz posted:

I wonder what Ched Evans' personality is/was.

Good Lad Who Means Well

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

had a ppm of scoring on the rebound

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Arriving late in the area, surely

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gently caress yeah that’s the one i meant and the wording is even better haha

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Plays one-twos

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Argues with officials

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I've just had the most ridiculous regen ever appear...

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shroud posted:

Argues with officials

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Masonity posted:

I've just had the most ridiculous regen ever appear...

He's insane. I need to get him in a mentoring group with some good guys urgently, but this kid is already good enough to sit on most benches. I'm going to have to play him from day 1 (regen day happens to be a match day, so literally!) and see if I can't get 20 seasons out of him.

Pele challenge, 1000 career goals.