Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Nope, it ends with him and Bucciarati entering the room where the gang is.

Oh hey, I was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Oh really? I thought there was some offhand mention of it that never appeared again. Maybe it was in a different manga like HxH...

Nah, there are definitely stands that are powerful enough to take on physical forms but the physical form that is visible to everyone tends to be its own thing separate from what the stand itself is, so stuff like the zombies and fog that Enya was handling, presumably the electrical outlet that Mariah uses, or like how Aqua Necklace could create a fake alcohol label in order to trick Josuke's grandpa into drinking it. Stuff like that. Or like Strength where it was attached to this rusted piece of poo poo and morphed it into a nigh-invincible deathtrap.

This does make me wonder if The Sun is visible or not though because it'd be funny if all the stand users were like "agh it's so bright" and others are just like "man, sure is a hot night tonight huh" and by funny I mean I would chuckle maybe

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
How did they handle Gold Experience getting stabbed with the arrow? Saving the episode to watch with some friends later and wondering if I need to start preparing an explanation for that, I already had to field some Why Was Polpo His Own Bed, Why Did Polpo Eat His Fingers questions

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

How did they handle Gold Experience getting stabbed with the arrow? Saving the episode to watch with some friends later and wondering if I need to start preparing an explanation for that, I already had to field some Why Was Polpo His Own Bed, Why Did Polpo Eat His Fingers questions

He blocks the arrow with Gold Experience's hand and Giorno starts bleeding from it. He does it twice, no special explanation or anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

It never really got completely stabbed; just scratched or he grabbed it with his hand, so it's distinct enough to get completely stabbed to not seem like a plothole.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Arist posted:

He blocks the arrow with Gold Experience's hand and Giorno starts bleeding from it. He does it twice, no special explanation or anything.

Although the first time, the exoskeleton over the hand does look like it cracks. Just not completely, like with what happens with GER.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Rad, thank you, super excited for this episode

But god I can't wait for the gang next week and basically every other week. I wasn't dying for Part 5 to get animated but now I can't think of any fight or scene I'm not excited for

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God I can't wait for next week. The gang's introduction is one of the funniest scenes in JJBA.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
That split second shot of Black Sabbath rushing to stop the gun from going off, then disappearing as Polpo dies, is real good.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Darko posted:

It never really got completely stabbed; just scratched or he grabbed it with his hand, so it's distinct enough to get completely stabbed to not seem like a plothole.

That's not a satisfactory explanation on its own because in Polnareff's flashback, you see Silver Chariot going Requiem from a small cut on its finger.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

Rad, thank you, super excited for this episode

But god I can't wait for the gang next week and basically every other week. I wasn't dying for Part 5 to get animated but now I can't think of any fight or scene I'm not excited for

Babyface is the only one I'm not looking forward to, but it's sandwiched between Beach Boy and White Album so nbd.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

That's not a satisfactory explanation on its own because in Polnareff's flashback, you see Silver Chariot going Requiem from a small cut on its finger.

here's the satisfactory explanation: because shut up

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

You don't even need it to be an apostle. 1st century Jews had patronymic names, and "Jesus" is just "Yeshua" (Joshua) but subject to linguistic drift and transliterated between Greek and Latin etc. Jesus' actual name would have probably "Joshua ben-Josef," or "Joshua, son of Joseph."

I'm positive if someone explained this to Araki he'd be like, "cool, alright. Jesus is a Jojo now."

didn't this get explicitly called out in part 7 already

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josh Josephson.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Well, I'm not bothered by it for reasons I think I've already explained.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Hey Davidpro if there's gonna be more visuals like that bit with the moped, can I uuuuhhhh get that for the Stealing 100 Cars bit? Thank you.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

god hell yes

next week is drinking piss and moody blues

And a new Jojo episode!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Ok I'm almost done with my SBR reread and it's more amazing with my remember but I hope someone can explain this to me and it's not just a thing that makes no sense:

Johnny's final test for Valentine is asking him to pick up the revolver that a different universe's Valentine used to kill Gyro. The fact that this Valentine has that revolver on his person is the proof that he was planning to double-cross Johnny. But since it's a different universe's Valentine, why would he not have that pistol in the first place? I feel like there's something I'm missing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BaDandy posted:

Hey Davidpro if there's gonna be more visuals like that bit with the moped, can I uuuuhhhh get that for the Stealing 100 Cars bit? Thank you.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Arist posted:

Yeah I came here to ask about this because I didn't want to poo poo up the anime thread for obvious reasons. Kira gets stabbed directly when he gets BTD. Towards the end of the Part 5 manga, Diavolo has KC pick up the arrow, but it passes through his stand when it (KC) tries to stab itself through the hand with it. Then it looks like Giorno stabs his stand but it's sort of standing right in front of him. At first I thought this was just Giorno getting the damage transfer of his stand. They both have a lot of blood squirting out, and then GE gets a huge hole in it and molts and turns into GER. In part 6, Jolyne has a broken piece of the arrow in that charm thing, and it doesn't really show what part of it actually stabs her (though the broken half piece of the arrow does have the tip).

Is this just Araki doing whatever and forgetting stuff and I shouldn't think too hard about it?

Edit: Fixed pronouns so it was more clear I was talking about the stand and not Diavolo at all

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 27, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the arrow chooses people

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's just him doing whatever. It's Jojo, don't worry about it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

That episode was just really, really well done. Before today my favorite episode just in terms of visuals was the echoes stuff. The way those arrows worked plus that second round of MUDAs was just! Good!

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Daxing Dan posted:

Additionally, the people who wrote the Part 5 translation didn't know English, either.

By the way, if you're wondering how I know this, then I invite you to check this exhibit I made and see how the bad translation seems to think that "conscious", "consciousness", and "conscience" mean the same thing (they don't) and that "conscious" is a noun (it's not).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm wondering if I should go for a nice frothy dehydrated or a lovely clear hydrated for my drink along.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Daxing Dan posted:

Polnareff is just really thin-skinned.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Daxing Dan posted:

By the way, if you're wondering how I know this, then I invite you to check this exhibit I made and see how the bad translation seems to think that "conscious", "consciousness", and "conscience" mean the same thing (they don't) and that "conscious" is a noun (it's not).

Man putting them side by side like that really just drives home how stilted and awkward the original translation is.

"You're lacking a little of your conscious" may be one of the worst sentences to read I've ever encountered, and yet somehow, the old translation is full of poo poo exactly like this.

How long did it take people to realize that this was garbage?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’m pretty sure nobody ever gave credit to the buddhist valley scans except for faint praise like ”at least it’s not duwang”

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Daxing Dan posted:

why did I read one hundred and fifty five chapters of this.......

thank you very much dan

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

Ok I'm almost done with my SBR reread and it's more amazing with my remember but I hope someone can explain this to me and it's not just a thing that makes no sense:

Johnny's final test for Valentine is asking him to pick up the revolver that a different universe's Valentine used to kill Gyro. The fact that this Valentine has that revolver on his person is the proof that he was planning to double-cross Johnny. But since it's a different universe's Valentine, why would he not have that pistol in the first place? I feel like there's something I'm missing.

The way I understood it, picking up the alternate-universe revolver in that situation would make Valentine unable to draw his own revolver, since the two revolvers would immediately merge and get destroyed. Therefore, picking up the revolver would amount to disarming himself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I sort of forget the circumstances, but I remembered it being that Johnny was trying to make sure the gun wasn't loaded. He was waiting to see if Valentine would actually shoot him or if he was telling the truth.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Johnny knew that if the same object from across universes met, they merged together. Wanting to trust Valenting but also wanting to be sure, he wanted to know if Valentine was holding a gun behind his back. Two guns just entered the picture because one Valentine also had a gun when he cross over.

Valentine just kinda hosed up basically

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What nationality were the bad Part 5 translators? Chinese? I know they were working from Chinese raws. And for that matter what about the Duwang guy? Also Chinese?

And "not Duwang" isn't praise when Duwang is better in spite of the bad grammar and ugly typesetting. You can actually get a feel for the characters in Duwang. I only read the bad part 5, and this anime is only now showing me why Japanese people GioGio, whom I previously considered to be a emotionless wooden board.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, that's part and parcel with it having proper grammar and typesetting, fooling people into thinking it's better.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What nationality were the bad Part 5 translators? Chinese? I know they were working from Chinese raws. And for that matter what about the Duwang guy? Also Chinese?

And "not Duwang" isn't praise when Duwang is better in spite of the bad grammar and ugly typesetting. You can actually get a feel for the characters in Duwang. I only read the bad part 5, and this anime is only now showing me why Japanese people GioGio, whom I previously considered to be a emotionless wooden board.

I wish I remembered it better but what I heard on JoJo forums in the past amounted to a guy offering to translate JoJo at an insane speed with the clause that nobody is allowed to edit or improve their work. LQ Chinese scans seemed to just be available at the time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah, I'm liking Giorno so much now. The old 5 scans didn't really get across that he was straight up Good Dio.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The part that totally sells Giorno as his own character is the part that just passed in the anime, where he kills Polpo.

Like, he actually agrees with Polpo that an insult can't go unpunished, but he also respects the innocent man that Black Sabbath killed and considers attacking an innocent an insult.

Giorno is a really interesting, deep character and I'm glad more people are going to come to love Part 5 as much as I do.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 27, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if DavidPro can angle Diavolo into more than an absolute wet fart of a Final Boss.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

At least the Doppio/Diavolo reveal and the fight with Risotto Nero is going to be hype as gently caress in anime form.

I'm dying to see that one moment where Doppio's eyes roll back to reveal Diavolo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

W.T. Fits posted:

But is he colder than Josuke Higashikata? I mean, yeah, Giorno tricked Polpo into killing himself, but Josuke has inflicted "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" levels of body horror on his enemies. (Yo, Angelo!)