Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Ewoks are inferior but Stormtroopers can’t shoot straight and are known incompetents. Complaint is a wash.

Also Ewoks > JarJar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ewoks are inferior but Stormtroopers can’t shoot straight and are known incompetents. Complaint is a wash.

Also Ewoks > JarJar.

The Ewok thing is straight pulled from an Ursula LeGuin story, IIRC.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually just downloaded some le guin books because my wife keeps telling me I only reference the same handful of them over and over

Hopefully i can get through them I've always found le guins writing off putting

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I actually just downloaded some le guin books because my wife keeps telling me I only reference the same handful of them over and over

Hopefully i can get through them I've always found le guins writing off putting

Not enough obsessive descriptions of hair pulling or food.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sullat posted:

The Ewok thing is straight pulled from an Ursula LeGuin story, IIRC.

Avatar too (not the characters, but the story)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

joat mon posted:

Avatar too (not the characters, but the story)

Yeah, Lucas was at least subtle about it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I like the Star Wars movies because everything it says about not turning to the Dark Side is negated by the fact that Luke could only beat Vader by losing his poo poo and going nuts with anger after Vader threatened his sister.

George even failed in his fundamental message. The actual message was, "Try to stay calm and good, but recognize you can only beat evil by losing your poo poo and going ham yourself."

At least he kind of corrected that with the prequels, and Obi-Wan calmly chopping off limbs.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

I like the Star Wars movies because everything it says about not turning to the Dark Side is negated by the fact that Luke could only beat Vader by losing his poo poo and going nuts with anger after Vader threatened his sister.

What is the fuckin "Dark Side" anyways? The Jedi
- Kill People
- Conscript Armies
- Influence Politics
- Clone people
- Kidnap Children
- Use Mind Control

So Darth Vader does that poo poo, but its bad because he wears black while doing it?? Are you only on "The Dark Side" because you are mad while you do those things?

Or are the Jedi just jealous of those cool force lightning bolts

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

A friend of mine worked in the career office of my school 10 years ago and is helping me touch up my resume a bit. We were talking on the phone this morning about starting state wages, and they’ve dropped about $10k/year from what they were then, and there’s nothing but downward pressure on those already depressed wages.

That is not the situation in Colorado. I can't speak for the rest of the nation but competition doesn't seem as severe in the rocky mountain west.

Edit: Star wars loving sucks and people that freak out about it are always weird as poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The movies make it obvious the Jedi have no idea what they're talking about

Also the light side isn't a thing in the original trilogy and maybe not in the prequels either I can't remember

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, how the gently caress does the Emperor think, "If I make Luke mad, and he kills his dad in the next 30 minutes, he'll totally become my best friend and immediately abandon the thing he's fought for the past X years."

What kind of plan is that?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

Also, how the gently caress does the Emperor think, "If I make Luke mad, and he kills his dad in the next 30 minutes, he'll totally become my best friend and immediately abandon the thing he's fought for the past X years."

What kind of plan is that?

He expected him to kill his father and then planned to manipulate him through his grief over losing his friends and killing his father in the same day.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

The movies make it obvious the Jedi have no idea what they're talking about

Also the light side isn't a thing in the original trilogy and maybe not in the prequels either I can't remember

Yes it is. Luke says he knows there’s good in Vader and he can bring him back to the good side. Also it’s pretty heavily implied that the presence of a “dark side” means there is a “light side.”

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

He expected him to kill his father and then planned to manipulate him through his grief over losing his friends and killing his father in the same day.

Ah yes, the ol "If I destroy everything you care about, you will NOT want to kill me and will instead want to BE MY FRIEND."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

- Kill People
- Conscript Armies
- Influence Politics
- Clone people
- Kidnap Children
- Use Mind Control

So Darth Vader does that poo poo, but its bad because he wears black while doing it?? Are you only on "The Dark Side" because you are mad while you do those things?

Outside the movies you'll see that the Jedi and the Dark Side/the Sith piss many a person off by being pretty much the same thing, and the fact that the common man cannot tell the difference between the two is often background information for a given story

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

Ah yes, the ol "If I destroy everything you care about, you will NOT want to kill me and will instead want to BE MY FRIEND."

He did the exact same thing with Anakin.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that poo poo worked wonders on Anakin.

OTOH Anakin couldn't draw the same direct line that Luke could so who the gently caress knows.

Also every attempt to add nuance to the light/dark side gets shot down by George which is annoying.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

The sickest neg.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

midichlorians

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

- Kill People
- Conscript Armies
- Influence Politics
- Clone people
- Kidnap Children
- Use Mind Control

Good guys make child soldiers like this...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

- Kill People
- Conscript Armies
- Influence Politics
- Clone people
- Kidnap Children
- Use Mind Control

Would you say, perhaps, that from your point of view, the Jedi are evil?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lmao

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Give to CNMI charitable causes and for the love of God vote for people who at least have the decency to at least acknowledge climate science.

blarzgh posted:

- Kill People
- Conscript Armies
- Influence Politics
- Clone people
- Kidnap Children
- Use Mind Control

“There is fault on many sides, many sides.”

poo poo now that I think of it that could easily have been prequel dialogue.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:five:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
blarzgh will bring order to this thread

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I was the chosen one

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Other than maybe blowing up alderaan, the empire did nothing wrong.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that a star wars quote from one of the movies?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Other than maybe blowing up alderaan, the empire did nothing wrong.

So you're saying the empire went wrong when they started blowing up alderaan places?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We need to be able to five comments. Someone post this to the funny poo poo on SA thread.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My grandad was a Sondertrooper, he was a guard in the Ewok death camps.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice piece of fish posted:

So you're saying the empire went wrong when they started blowing up alderaan places?

Niceeeeee

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, there is the fact that huffing Dark Side is very obviously bad for your complexion.

Given that I wonder why anyone goes for it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Is that a star wars quote from one of the movies?

Its what Anakin says when he and Obi Wan are fighting in the lava

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

My grandad was a Sondertrooper, he was a guard in the Ewok death camps.

The joke goes:

My Granpa died on Endor.

He fell off the AT-ST he was driving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Your grandad got killed by a drop bear.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your grandad got killed by a drop bear.

"Budget cuts, they said. Who's going to be throwing sticks at Stormtroopers, they said. Buncha goddamn bureaucrats."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

Its what Anakin says when he and Obi Wan are fighting in the lava

Anakin has all the best lines. That one is very good. Also good is “I don't like sand. It's all coarse, and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere.” And “You are in my very soul. Tormenting me.” And “I wish that I could just wish away my feelings, but I can’t.”

It’s like poetry, it rhymes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anakin has all the best lines. That one is very good. Also good is “I don't like sand. It's all coarse, and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere.” And “You are in my very soul. Tormenting me.” And “I wish that I could just wish away my feelings, but I can’t.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just realized, goon, old, obsessed with star wars quotes... You're mr. Plinkett, aren't you? Can't believe I didn't see it before.