Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just got back with my RDR2/X combo as well, same trade in deal. Time to knock out some quick homework while all the installs/updates are running. Can't wait to finally be roaming the open wildlands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Be advised the first 2 hours are super slow in RDR2.

It gets better but it’s not how I wanted to spend the first night.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

Installing the game?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Beastie posted:

It gets better but it’s not how I wanted to spend the first night.

This is every Rockstar game, they need to make sure you understand how to shoot guns, drive cars/carriages, use the barbershops/gyms/restaurants and play the bowling mini-game or whatever

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My X came with codes for 1 month of Game Pass and 14 days of Gold. Are these codes for new subscribers only, or can they be added time to my current subscriptions?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

univbee posted:

Installing the game?

No the opening scene is like 2 hours long. It’s a bit of a tutorial, which I don’t mind.

But you spend so much time just going back and forth, slowly.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BisterdDave posted:

My X came with codes for 1 month of Game Pass and 14 days of Gold. Are these codes for new subscribers only, or can they be added time to my current subscriptions?

The game pass code only works for new subscribers but I'm sure the gold code will add on.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

The game pass code only works for new subscribers but I'm sure the gold code will add on.

Just tried the gold code, said I already have gold and to give the code to a friend. Anyone want it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

IIRC they can be used but only if your Game Pass/Gold are actually expired, they won't work while they're active.

Also I think Gold codes of less than a month tend to be a more limited version of Gold, like it gives you the ability to play online but not the ability to buy stuff discounted, stuff like that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

univbee posted:

IIRC they can be used but only if your Game Pass/Gold are actually expired, they won't work while they're active.

Also I think Gold codes of less than a month tend to be a more limited version of Gold, like it gives you the ability to play online but not the ability to buy stuff discounted, stuff like that.

If it still works the same, the one month free Gold codes stack. When I worked back at EB Games years ago they came in GTA4 and most people didn't use it so when they traded in the game I swiped the code thing. I ended up with like 4 free years go Gold.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
So I'm trying to figure out this gamestop thing. Can I trade in my OG Xbox One, and an OG PS4 for the Xbox One X + Red Dead 2 and essentially walk out for :10bux: ? I already have an X and a PS4 pro, but kept my original consoles the first go round. It might be worth it since I rarely use the originals these days.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Just tried the gold code, said I already have gold and to give the code to a friend. Anyone want it?

I could use it.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 27, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Substandard posted:

So I'm trying to figure out this gamestop thing. Can I trade in my OG Xbox One, and an OG PS4 for the Xbox One X + Red Dead 2 and essentially walk out for :10bux: ? I already have an X and a PS4 pro, but kept my original consoles the first go round. It might be worth it since I rarely use the originals these days.

In theory, only one console would be upgraded so youd get the rate for the lowr of the two (original bone) and regular for PS4. They combine to around 300+ in in store credit.

Some peopel have reported though that their store will let them do both or combine it with the discount purchase with RDR so mileage varies.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

owls or something posted:

I could use it so my kid can play Minecraft, if you still have it.

Just sent you a message with the code.

Man, this RDR2 intro is a slog to get through.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Beastie posted:

quote:

Cool, now let's see the comparison shots for like a midrange PC from 2015.

Just wanted to say that this was hilarious

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Just sent you a message with the code.

Man, this RDR2 intro is a slog to get through.

Thanks. I'll have her build a blocky statue in your honor.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Beastie posted:

No the opening scene is like 2 hours long. It’s a bit of a tutorial, which I don’t mind.

it is some extremely cinematic walking

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Beastie posted:

That's what RDR is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am probably being hyperbolic here, but RDR2 on a 4K/HDR TV on Xbox One X, is maybe the most beautiful looking game to date right now? At least until some other AAA title comes out in the 3 month or whatever. Or Cyberpunk 2077.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It’s insanely detailed. Loving the first person mode for just walking around the towns.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Xbox just keeps winning.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
stays winning

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I did the thing and got an Xbox one x/rdr2 by trading in my Xbox one s. Can anyone explain to me why The Most Powerful Home Console Available still has a garbage UI that suffers from extreme lag issues and general unresponsiveness? The UI on my PS4 is pretty bad too, but it at least it doesn't lag out constantly when multitasking.

e: My assumption is that I guess MS needs to make like 90 percent of that GDDR5 RAM available for making sure the desktop ads load right away rather than make a pleasant end user experience.

e2: Apparently all the game updates were stored on the internal hd and not the external hd where the actual games were? And now have to be redownloaded? What in the absolute gently caress?

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 27, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wish it was compulsory to add a 60fps option to X enhanced games.

While no doubt the supersampling of rendering 4K scaled down to my 1080p tv in RDR is making it sharp as a tack, I just finished doom and am half way thru wolfenstein 2 and it's very jarring being locked to 30fps. It adds to the clunky feeling of the game too.

And additionally wolfenstein 2 looks amazing and runs smooth as butter. Probably better detail than rdr.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

DrNutt posted:

e2: Apparently all the game updates were stored on the internal hd and not the external hd where the actual games were? And now have to be redownloaded? What in the absolute gently caress?

It might be the separate 4K enhanced updates auto downloading since it's an X.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

owls or something posted:

It might be the separate 4K enhanced updates auto downloading since it's an X.

No I have it set to not download those because I don't have a 4k tv yet. I dunno it's just kind of aggravating, I moved everything over to the external HD to try and avoid all this poo poo.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Thinking about doing this deal on Microsoft's store. It'll be like $485 after tax and I'll get RDR2, Horizon 4 and Forza 7 with it. I have an original Xbox One 1TB that I can throw up on ebay or whatever. I don't feel like going into a Gamestop for their trade in deal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

No I have it set to not download those because I don't have a 4k tv yet. I dunno it's just kind of aggravating, I moved everything over to the external HD to try and avoid all this poo poo.

You can’t opt out from downloading 4K assets on an X, you are forced to get them regardless of your TV. They made downloading the 4K assets optional on the original specifically to prep their data for getting an X later, it’s not actually used on the non-X models for anything else.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The OS on xbox is such a piece of poo poo. Why can't this thing connect as easily to hotel internet as the PS4 or switch or any other piece of technology? The MAC trick works sometimes but is often clunky and unreliable. I like the hardware on the X1X, but actually using it is a loving chore sometimes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You can’t opt out from downloading 4K assets on an X, you are forced to get them regardless of your TV. They made downloading the 4K assets optional on the original specifically to prep their data for getting an X later, it’s not actually used on the non-X models for anything else.

Huh. The more you know. Wish I had heard of that before doing that. Oh well, aside from Forza 4 everything else has worked like a charm despite needing additional updates. Forza 4 just doesn't work and I'll probably have to reinstall for whatever reason.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
That's one thing, I don't like the OS at all. It could be much better

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Dpulex posted:

The OS on xbox is such a piece of poo poo. Why can't this thing connect as easily to hotel internet as the PS4 or switch or any other piece of technology? The MAC trick works sometimes but is often clunky and unreliable. I like the hardware on the X1X, but actually using it is a loving chore sometimes.

There is now an automatic captive portal app that should launch a web browser window when it detects you are in a captive portal situation. It may not always work, though. It should pop up after the initial network connection test.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/RobinGaming/status/1055963854298071044?s=19

If you're finding the controls in RDR2 to be slow as molasses, I found this tip to definitely help.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey is there some Xbox goon groups I can join? Who's playing black ops 4 here?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Laserface posted:

I wish it was compulsory to add a 60fps option to X enhanced games.

While no doubt the supersampling of rendering 4K scaled down to my 1080p tv in RDR is making it sharp as a tack, I just finished doom and am half way thru wolfenstein 2 and it's very jarring being locked to 30fps. It adds to the clunky feeling of the game too.

And additionally wolfenstein 2 looks amazing and runs smooth as butter. Probably better detail than rdr.

The CPUs in these machines (XbonerOG/XbonerX/PS4/PS4Pro) are pretty bad and that's what a ton of open world games rely on which is why you don't see many with 60fps options. With Doom/Wolf it's easier since they're more GPU dependent (especially the former) and also linear titles.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Beastie posted:

We have learned so little from Kingdom Hearts 2 :negative:

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

pthighs posted:

There is now an automatic captive portal app that should launch a web browser window when it detects you are in a captive portal situation. It may not always work, though. It should pop up after the initial network connection test.

I was wondering about this. Seems to work inconsistently for me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So I have an original xbone. Do they give a crap about the kinect or the hdmi cable?

edit: for the Gamestop trade in.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Colostomy Bag posted:

So I have an original xbone. Do they give a crap about the kinect or the hdmi cable?

edit: for the Gamestop trade in.

You need a power cord, controller and a hdmi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Over There posted:

You need a power cord, controller and a hdmi

If you’re missing these they’ll just jack them from the console you’re getting.