Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I gotta say I'm not a fan of the more change to armor a few patches back. The current system:

Takes armor value, subtracts armor penetartion. Roll d100, if < half value, take no damage. If less than value, take half damage (converted to blunt). Otherwise take full damage. Reroll for each layer.

The effect of this is that even when armored to the max you can still take a random bullshit death. Before you could put some devilstrand layers on and guarantee that a great bow shot wouldn't cause an entire organ to be destroyed, only damaged; now you either get lucky and the damage is meaningless or you take full damage. This ups the variance significantly, meaning if you're playing with a subset of pawns you don't want to lose you basically have to keep them out of combat entirely, even with late game gear against tribals.

It also makes stuff like devilstrand undershirts way less useful -- in the past every bit of armor helped in a clear way, and contributed effective health.

There a mod for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Warmachine posted:

When I think about what isn't covered by current in-game items, I think of armor. There's no armor south of power armor on the tree that acts as full plate. Put a stuffed armor option (one that uses metal, one that uses cloth/leather) in between tribal and industrial, and allow flak gear to be stuffed.

Then, revamp the melee weapons to distinguish them from each other. The changes to armor rating already take care of this for sharp vs blunt damage. Give axes a bonus use as tools in exchange for having lower DPS than swords, and figure out some ways to make "reach" weapons have a specific advantage over regular melee. (Like, can they engage earlier, forcing the enemy pawn to move super slow on the approach or something?)

Well, I would balance the Mace/Sword/Spear/Axe branches as
Blunt: Its blunt. gets past armor and knock outs more likely.
Spear: High puncture, can be suddenly lethal.
Axe: High Slash. Good at delimbing.
Sword: Moderate Puncture, Moderate Slash.

Balanced as light, medium, heavy based on speed and armor penetration

Armor would be fine to me acting like dusters in coverage. Torso, Shoulders, Arms, Hands in one item, Legs and Feet in another. Padded, as a skin layer, Chain in middle layer. Plate as a shell+mid layer. Give them a move+work penalty so you dont go around in padded all the time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Does it bug you when a hunter shoots a deer and then all the hive minded deer on the map get mad and destroy your colony? Not that there aren't tactics to cheese this when it happens, yes we've had that conversation before, but do you find that behavior annoying and want to make it less frequent? Well now you can, there's a scenario stat adjustment called Hunter Stealth that makes that behavior controllable. 200% = half as often, 300% = 1/3 as often, etc

Or if you want it the other way
50% = twice as often
0% = every time you damage an animal, it will get mad and become a manhunter

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I only play in jungles because I like year round grow periods. Maybe it's time to finally branch out to something else.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LegoMan posted:

I only play in jungles because I like year round grow periods. Maybe it's time to finally branch out to something else.

Same, but I generally always play in arctic maps with the map configuration mod making the map 80% mountain tiles. Next game I think I'll switch it up and do a flat jungle map

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cold Bog is my favorite biome these days, and if you're playing with Rainbeau's Archipelagos then Cold Biome Archipelago is objectively the neatest biome:

Cold, dank, rainy, the perfect place for a coven of witches who just want to worship Shub-Niggurath in peace :allears:

Pick Up And Haul + Allow Tool's Priority Haul designator makes just too much goddamn sense to not use together, even people who don't want any content mods, you should try them because gosh they make a lot of dumb UI busywork just go away:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279012058
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

I gotta say I'm not a fan of the more change to armor a few patches back. The current system:

Takes armor value, subtracts armor penetartion. Roll d100, if < half value, take no damage. If less than value, take half damage (converted to blunt). Otherwise take full damage. Reroll for each layer.

The effect of this is that even when armored to the max you can still take a random bullshit death. Before you could put some devilstrand layers on and guarantee that a great bow shot wouldn't cause an entire organ to be destroyed, only damaged; now you either get lucky and the damage is meaningless or you take full damage. This ups the variance significantly, meaning if you're playing with a subset of pawns you don't want to lose you basically have to keep them out of combat entirely, even with late game gear against tribals.

It also makes stuff like devilstrand undershirts way less useful -- in the past every bit of armor helped in a clear way, and contributed effective health.

I've found this to be a non-issue in practice. In fact, I'd say my pawns are even more durable now, on average. Yes, freak deaths do happen, but at a much lower rate than the steady deaths of the old system. With the current system, my pawns in full armor can fight and win in an open field against your average raid, and come out alive. I think pawns down a little more than they did in the past, but damage converted to blunt doesn't cause bleeding, so they aren't in a life-threatening situation and I have less need to risk active pawns to rescue them.

Essentially, I feel safer sending valuable pawns into battle if they're wearing some kind of iron coffin armor.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Warmachine posted:

When I think about what isn't covered by current in-game items, I think of armor. There's no armor south of power armor on the tree that acts as full plate. Put a stuffed armor option (one that uses metal, one that uses cloth/leather) in between tribal and industrial, and allow flak gear to be stuffed.

Then, revamp the melee weapons to distinguish them from each other. The changes to armor rating already take care of this for sharp vs blunt damage. Give axes a bonus use as tools in exchange for having lower DPS than swords, and figure out some ways to make "reach" weapons have a specific advantage over regular melee. (Like, can they engage earlier, forcing the enemy pawn to move super slow on the approach or something?)

Full plate armor is craftable in vanilla now, since b18 I think. It's available pretty much right away, super low on the research tree. I've never actually used it because of the movement penalties but the option is there if you really want it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are flak vests and pants worth bothering? I've mostly stuck to Vests and helmets only. I could see making some for drop pod combat deployments, but not use around the base. Then again, so far I don't have most of my colonists wear armor all the time due to the movement penalties.

I agree a non-powered hardshell/carapace armor suit would be pretty cool mid ground between flak armor and marine/power armor.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are flak vests and pants worth bothering? I've mostly stuck to Vests and helmets only. I could see making some for drop pod combat deployments, but not use around the base. Then again, so far I don't have most of my colonists wear armor all the time due to the movement penalties.

I agree a non-powered hardshell/carapace armor suit would be pretty cool mid ground between flak armor and marine/power armor.

For that level, I do like Rimsenal's Protective Suit. It offers a lot of protection, but at an EXTREMELY stiff movement penalty. It's the quintessential "you only wear this when you know you're gonna get shot at" armor. Of course, it also takes like 12 to 15 seconds to don, so the gear up phase of a fight becomes very tense. I usually designate a handful of pawns as dedicated soldiers who have their armor on at all times, to buy time for everyone else. Very useful when faced with a sapper raid that will cut through your walls before your main force even has a chance to get there. Doesn't do poo poo for drop pods, but if I'm getting dropped on, I'm usually just having everyone bum-rush to cut off the drop zone and kill the raiders in a cross fire.

Gadzuko posted:

Full plate armor is craftable in vanilla now, since b18 I think. It's available pretty much right away, super low on the research tree. I've never actually used it because of the movement penalties but the option is there if you really want it.

I'd seen something like that, but I didn't know if it was from a mod or not. I lose track.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

8 Ball posted:

Is it possible to start with an android companion using any of the mods?

If you have both prepare carefully and an android mod, then yes. When using prepare carefully select add new pawn from an android faction, this will add an android to your starting lineup. similar can be done for other races, so you can actually start with a multi-race colony.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh god. I need help

Would folks here be able to lend me a hand by taking a look at my old guide here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

and pointing out what's changed and/or needs updating now that 1.0 is released? The prospect of re-writing it is . . . daunting.

Decided to skim through this, rambling train of thought stuff below:

Initial Start: Choose your Colonists

Social skill is perhaps less important due to the change in prisoner recruitment. You now have to reduce resistance before you can actually recruit which seems to be based as much on the prisoner's mood as the recruiter's social skills. I had one tough nut that was being stubborn about dropping resistance cause he was miserable. So I just dosed him up with blunts to turn that frown upside down. :v:

Planning for Happiness :Spaciousness, Beauty, Comfort, and Room Bonuses

I THINK the room size calculations changed here and that most furniture no longer counts against the space in a room? (If you can move through it at least, I think?) I also think they changed it so that even up against a wall a colonist will still get a mood bonus from a large room. Either way things definitely changed here so hopefully someone else can elaborate better.

Planning for Efficiency: Crops, Workshops, and Stockpiles

Food has definitely changed a bit. Strawberries, as mentioned earlier, can cause food poisoning when eaten raw. Efficiency ratios are probably different and the TL:DR of it is that while Rice is best(?), Corn is almost as good and requires less labor if you're fine with the slower grow time (making it more vulnerable to blight, weather, and other events/hazards).

It might be worth mentioning lighting your hallways, as speed in the movement dark is reduced by 20%.

Combat/Defense

I am pretty sure shooting at a target in the dark no longer gives a penalty.

Mortars have been simplified into a single unit and instead there are now several different types of mortar shell (HE, Incendiary, EMP, Firefoam)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love the idea of the android mod but in practice all my droids sucked rear end regardless of tier, and also the T5 droid I spent a ton of resources rescuing and recruiting kept popping off and murdering random colonists regardless of his mood

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there a mod that lets you change a colonists's title? The stuff like Mira, Settler, Raven, Rancher, or Vegica, Geologist? A lot, if not most, of the titles are kinda useless inside your colony, so it'd be neat if I could rename their title to what their job is now, instead of what it was in their old life.

Mod proselytizing aside, this is a vanilla feature

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wait, does the rename button do that now?

Holy crap it does. Teach me not to look :eng99:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Does it bug you when a hunter shoots a deer and then all the hive minded deer on the map get mad and destroy your colony? Not that there aren't tactics to cheese this when it happens, yes we've had that conversation before, but do you find that behavior annoying and want to make it less frequent? Well now you can, there's a scenario stat adjustment called Hunter Stealth that makes that behavior controllable. 200% = half as often, 300% = 1/3 as often, etc

Or if you want it the other way
50% = twice as often
0% = every time you damage an animal, it will get mad and become a manhunter

Observing this for a while now, I'm fairly sure that stat affects a radius from the hunter and not an actual % chance, so a large adjustment means the target simply cannot see the hunter and thus cannot target them, so large adjustments effectively disable the animal revenge behavior completely :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Aha, thanks, I figured it was coming from one of my mods :shrug:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

How many mortars do you want in a colony anyway? 6 or 9?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I had no idea there were firefoam mortar shells now, that sounds pretty helpful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In a truly egalitarian society, every citizen should have a mortar :shrug:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

In a truly egalitarian society, every citizen should have a mortar :shrug:

Seize the means of mortaring comrade

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Citizenship Guarantees A Mortar

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

How many mortars do you want in a colony anyway? 6 or 9?

However many it takes to land a reliable alpha strike on a mass of raiders/manhunting elephants.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

However many it takes to land a reliable alpha strike on a mass of raiders/manhunting elephants.

So about 50

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

LegoMan posted:

So about 50

Or just one, if you're cooking with Antigrain :getin:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What does destroying plants have to do with raids?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I usually scale my mortar barrages for most of the game to one mortar operator per two colonists on the firing line, since mortars will never actually destroy raids outright unless you land some insanely lucky hits or deploy antigrain so you'll need bodies on the trench step to win the day. Artillery is a great use for colonists who can't shoot or fight their way out of a paper bag, and in larger raids where trying to close distance is suicidal, melee guys can also be used on the mortars.

Once you hit post scarcity and you can maintain so many turrets/traps that you don't need colonists firing guns, do whatever.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 27, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sillybones posted:

What does destroying plants have to do with raids?

if you blow up all the plants then the elephants won't have anything to eat and they'll go away :shrug:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In order for that to work you need to blow up all your colonists too though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Are the health monitors at the feet of my hospital beds blocking off the television's effective zone here?

EDIT: Just figured I should move the monitors to the monitors to the head of the bed instead just to be safe.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 27, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

drat I had no idea there were firefoam mortar shells now, that sounds pretty helpful.

They're really not since they have the same innate spread to them that other mortar shots do; you'll never plop shots exactly on what you need to be shooting. If I remember right the diameter for the foam mortar rounds is even smaller than the popup foamers too.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 27, 2018

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I've spent the last 10 waking hours of my life attempting to make 230 mods work well together.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
that epoe thing broke my savegame too, legs removed everywhere and bionic spines implanted in pawns eyes... im not sure where to put the patch linked on the last page, though

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moot the hopple posted:

Are the health monitors at the feet of my hospital beds blocking off the television's effective zone here?

EDIT: Just figured I should move the monitors to the monitors to the head of the bed instead just to be safe.

You can see the white box wraps around.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

moot the hopple posted:

They don't, but you also don't need a monitor per bed; like with other structures that give bonuses (end tables, dressers, tool cabinets, etc.) the limit is one per item effected. It looks dumb as hell, but you can actually attach eight beds to one monitor. Even if you want to keep your current configuration for the TV, you can still place them so that one monitor is effecting three beds at a time.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

They don't, but you also don't need a monitor per bed; like with other structures that give bonuses (end tables, dressers, tool cabinets, etc.) the limit is one per item effected. It looks dumb as hell, but you can actually attach eight beds to one monitor. Even if you want to keep your current configuration for the TV, you can still place them so that one monitor is effecting three beds at a time.

This always confused me. So the monitor is effecting all the beds at once to one effect. So does that mean that if you had 5 colonists get sick, first one gets the monitor bonus to immune gain?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I do the 8 around one monitor, but would honestly would be ok with changing it up to 2 or 3 per. What do you do?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I do a 4 attached to one setup so I leave room for the surgeons to not need to (but they always do) climb over beds when going to treat or surgerize someone. Monitor is in the middle, beds "attach" at each corner.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Donkringel posted:

This always confused me. So the monitor is effecting all the beds at once to one effect. So does that mean that if you had 5 colonists get sick, first one gets the monitor bonus to immune gain?

No, it means that the item effected, in this case a hospital bed can only receive the benefit from ONE vitals monitor. If you arrange your beds so that you have eight beds to one vitals monitor, all the beds (and their occupants) will receive the benefit. It's just a poorly worded way of saying that connecting eight vitals monitors to one bed won't give you a massive bonus to immunity and surgery success chance. In the same way, you can place two tool cabinets in the center of your workshop and every workbench in it will receive +12% work speed (do this, by the way, it has massive long term benefits for your economy).

Viva Miriya posted:

I do the 8 around one monitor, but would honestly would be ok with changing it up to 2 or 3 per. What do you do?

I usually have my beds sharing an end table, so I just do two or four to a monitor depending on my layout. It's not like they're terribly expensive once you've reached the point where you're building hospital beds anyway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish vital monitors were more like dressers or toolboxes and didn’t need to be right next to the bed. Just make it short ranged if you want. Crowding a bunch of beds around one monitor is bad for the most important part of these games, aesthetics! :argh:

But like was said, it’s not like they’re that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

So is there any reason I should equip my melee guys with stuff other than steel/plasteel maces? I want more overall lethality even if the target's are armored but I'm ok with slightly suboptimal against armor if it means my guys will gut lightly armored/unarmored dudes.