Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I just finished reading the new English release of "A Season of Storms." It's very very good. I liked it a lot. I like all the Witcher books. Do you? I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

chaosapiant posted:

So I just finished reading the new English release of "A Season of Storms." It's very very good. I liked it a lot. I like all the Witcher books. Do you? I do.

The Lady of the Lake had the same effect on me as The Man in the Iron Mask, which was that I teared up during the climax.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I honestly think SoS is the weakest of the Witcher books. The original seven are some of my favourite books period (with maaaaaaybe the exception of The Tower of the Swallow. That one is a bit of a mess, but I still like it), but Season has left me strangely dissatisfied. But I think it might be the quality of prose in it is worse, which I guess does not neccessarily have to be the case with the translation.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 26, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

The Lady of the Lake had the same effect on me as The Man in the Iron Mask, which was that I teared up during the climax.

I teared a bit during the “something more” short story as well as the end of the Lady of the Lake. I’d like to think that anyone whose read the books would get choked up at the scene of Geralt finding Ciri in the Witcher 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People who think there can ever be a happy ending with the Baron seem to have missed a beat regarding Velen. There is no happy ending in Velen. Anywhere.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Arcsquad12 posted:

People who think there can ever be a happy ending with the Baron seem to have missed a beat regarding Velen. There is no happy ending in Velen. Anywhere.

ahem, the pellar and princess are happy forever :colbert:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I kinda wish we heard from Tamara again. There seemed to be a lot of emphasis placed on her character before you meet her but then she just sort of vanishes after the BB quest ends.

I hope it's not because Triss burns her to death in Novigrad. :ohdear:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Death to all witch hunters though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

andrew smash posted:

Death to all witch hunters though

:hai:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Samopsa posted:

ahem, the pellar and princess are happy forever :colbert:

The Pellar murdered his dad with an axe and nearly got his congregation killed for it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Pellar murdered his dad with an axe and nearly got his congregation killed for it.

yes, but that was when he was just a kid. We're talking about endings here!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you kill a troll in this game you are literally a monster.

Yes, I am including the rock trolls around Kaer Morhen that are MOBs and not true NPCs. They live in every one of my playthroughs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you kill a troll in this game you are literally a monster.

Yes, I am including the rock trolls around Kaer Morhen that are MOBs and not true NPCs. They live in every one of my playthroughs.

Why would you want to kill that Troll a second time? He killed a ton of Salamandra goons for you years earlier. Too bad you only find out after he's dead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why would you want to kill that Troll a second time? He killed a ton of Salamandra goons for you years earlier. Too bad you only find out after he's dead.

Wait what?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I’ve done it both ways, but the children are less culpable than the Barron, Anna or the adult villagers of Downwarren, and my understanding (though I haven’t tested it) is that all but a handful of villagers become war casualties even if you kill the tree and let the children die

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

At Kaer Morhen you can fin a string of drowner corpses near the lake that leads to a cave with an angry troll. After you kill the troll you can search the cave and discover a note from some Salamandra assassins who had used the cave as a campsite before the attack on the fortress. However they didn't realize it was the Troll's home, and he wham-a-whammed them, thus preventing them from joining in the attack.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

At Kaer Morhen you can fin a string of drowner corpses near the lake that leads to a cave with an angry troll. After you kill the troll you can search the cave and discover a note from some Salamandra assassins who had used the cave as a campsite before the attack on the fortress. However they didn't realize it was the Troll's home, and he wham-a-whammed them, thus preventing them from joining in the attack.

Totally missed this content, you dirty troll-killer. :glomp:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Suffer ye not a troll to live

unless the troll says funny things

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Think im gonna have to kill a troll cos i want that troll decoction

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I tried to ask nicely for their livers but they wouldn’t make with the livers so I had no choice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ugato posted:

I tried to ask nicely for their livers but they wouldn’t make with the livers so I had no choice.

there's a bunch of feral ones in skellige you can harvest

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a separate thread for Thronebreaker or is it just this thread and the Gwent thread?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Arcsquad12 posted:

nah, the spirits there want to kill the pellar, not the congregation

(the congregation are special crowd NPCs with all their AI and gameplay features stripped out, the monsters can't hurt them if they tried)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

(the congregation are special crowd NPCs with all their AI and gameplay features stripped out, the monsters can't hurt them if they tried)

stupid rear end pellar should've probably thought about that before he told them all the run or they'd die

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Think im gonna have to kill a troll cos i want that troll decoction

There's a bandit nest near the nilfgaardian war camp, if you clear it next time it will spawn feral trolls.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a separate thread for Thronebreaker or is it just this thread and the Gwent thread?

This thread and the Gwent thread. I completed the game and Meve is such a great character and the other supporting characters are great too in a typical Witcher fashion.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

There's a bandit nest near the nilfgaardian war camp, if you clear it next time it will spawn feral trolls.

One feral troll. Not sure which patch changed that (I'm on my first playthrough), but it no longer respawns.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Fuuck I should not have kept that monastic silver for myself. :argh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I think maybe those vignettes when you load a game change depending upon your Geralt's hair? Because I have the slicked back elf hair plus "regular" facial hair and he showed up that way in the vignette.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I wish we could see Old Man Geralt in some media sometimes. I picture him as Odin

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

*Kicks open thread door*

*Rushes in breathless*

"Holy poo poo people! Breaking news! This game is amazing!"

Seriously I've just the past couple of weeks got around to playing it.

I've just done the Kaer Morhen questlines where you meet you long lost Witcher buddies and go through their questlines culminating in the drinking competion and drat this is the best writing in a game I've ever seen.

In conclusion. "Summon the bitches!".

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i managed to get menge to tell me where the money was and get the key this time ffs

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

*Kicks open thread door*

*Rushes in breathless*

"Holy poo poo people! Breaking news! This game is amazing!"

Seriously I've just the past couple of weeks got around to playing it.

I've just done the Kaer Morhen questlines where you meet you long lost Witcher buddies and go through their questlines culminating in the drinking competion and drat this is the best writing in a game I've ever seen.

In conclusion. "Summon the bitches!".

:kav:

For what it's worth you've seen about half or less of the W3 saga, you still have tons of content in the base game and then ~50+ hours of DLC. The base game main quest goes on longer than you'd think, it builds to a big "gather your buddies for the final showdown" battle but actually there's still a bunch more after that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i managed to get menge to tell me where the money was and get the key this time ffs

I thought you could just loot the key off of his corpse.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought you could just loot the key off of his corpse.

Yeah you can always get the key, but for him to reveal the location of the vault the key unlocks you have to play along and let Triss get tortured, eventually you can ask Menge where the money is.

edit: actually I don't remember all the details, you just have to play it super cool and pretend the Witcher stereotypes about being emotionless and only caring about money are true.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 28, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah you can always get the key, but for him to reveal the location of the vault the key unlocks you have to play along and let Triss get tortured, eventually you can ask Menge where the money is.

i did this the last time i just did the things in the wrong order. you have to ask about the treasure before you ask about dandelion otherwise you don't find it

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does dijkstra not piss and moan at you later if you resolve it that way?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Does dijkstra not piss and moan at you later if you resolve it that way?

his reaction is different because he doesn't have to spend the time/resources to figure out where the money is and it's my understanding he sends help to kaer morhen because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

his reaction is different because he doesn't have to spend the time/resources to figure out where the money is and it's my understanding he sends help to kaer morhen because of it
He sends :10bux: