Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

linall posted:

I've not yet found a chest where the contents were worth a save and then a load screen if the lockpick fails. There is already so much forced save scumming from all the bugs that I just can't bring myself to care about those missed chests.

e: that could just be me though I suppose.

It's not just locked chests - most chests are full of the randomly generated crap loot - a few dozen GP, some gems that don't sell for much, some potions and scrolls, etc. Locked ones don't seem to be any more valuable. Similarly, most hidden caches aren't terribly valuable, and the ones that contain relic fragments never require a very high DC - the typical DC for a hidden cache that contains a relic fragment is 9.

Also, approximately half the relic sets in the game are broken and missing one or more pieces, requiring save editing to complete them so enjoy that for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Welp, I think I've hit a wall where I just need to put the game down for a few months until several more patches get applied and/or some good fix-mods get published. I don't have much input in the level/encounter design and such, but it seems like blistering levels of bad game design that (Varnhold spoilers) after Tristrian betrays you, it's highly likely that you'll end up with literally no one else you can put in the Councilor role, because apparently the only two other possible options are "lady you had to choose as your envoy in the first couple hours of the game" and "priestess of Lamashtu but only if you explicitly forgive her and let her stay in your barony".

And all of the council roles in general really seem to suffer from a lack of options, like (chapter 4 spoilers) oh Kassil bounced to go fight a war for Jamandi which leaves me with...Regongar as my only option for General.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

xeria posted:

after Tristrian betrays you, it's highly likely that you'll end up with literally no one else you can put in the Councilor role, because apparently the only two other possible options are "lady you had to choose as your envoy in the first couple hours of the game" and "priestess of Lamashtu but only if you explicitly forgive her and let her stay in your barony".

what the gently caress, that's where I will wind up aaaaa

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Olesh posted:

Also, approximately half the relic sets in the game are broken and missing one or more pieces, requiring save editing to complete them so enjoy that for now.

Why is it so insanely hard for devs to realize that having to find exactly X items, when there are only X items total is such terrible loving design?

What you should do is: with a relic that needs like 10 pieces, scatter 12-15 of them around in the world, and then when you've found enough of them the rest just turn into money instead.
(Or do the inverse, where if you're missing 1-2 relic pieces, you can opt to use some gold/materials to substitute in. While having 100% of the relics means the item is free.)
Or have an NPC that gathers up misc garbage from areas you've cleared, and sell the items to you if you're interested.

In this game that means you'll get hosed out of a relic because your characters stood a step too far away from a hidden cache in the corner of some map somewhere.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

Why the hell is there a robe that can only be worn by a Lawful Evil monk in this game. What percent of players would ever be able to use that, given how specific that requirement is and the fact that none of your companions can qualify? I guess the bonus is pretty decent if you know about it in advance and build your character for it.

One third of monks? lawful is already a must for being a monk in the first place.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Lawful evil monks own you're basically the bad guy from any given martial arts movie

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My first DND 3.0 character was a lawful evil monk named Kang who focused on trip attacks. He was hysterically effective.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

xeria posted:

Welp, I think I've hit a wall where I just need to put the game down for a few months until several more patches get applied and/or some good fix-mods get published. I don't have much input in the level/encounter design and such, but it seems like blistering levels of bad game design that (Varnhold spoilers) after Tristrian betrays you, it's highly likely that you'll end up with literally no one else you can put in the Councilor role, because apparently the only two other possible options are "lady you had to choose as your envoy in the first couple hours of the game" and "priestess of Lamashtu but only if you explicitly forgive her and let her stay in your barony".

And all of the council roles in general really seem to suffer from a lack of options, like (chapter 4 spoilers) oh Kassil bounced to go fight a war for Jamandi which leaves me with...Regongar as my only option for General.
I mean, it's fine that they actually make you feel his betrayal, and you can get him back pretty quickly even if you fight the battle against Armag first. If you're unlucky you might not be able to assign someone to one event because of it but that should be about it.
But Tristian is already an option that won't work for every player because he or at least the advice he gives is pretty strongly on the Good side of the alignment system.

There should definitely be more options for a bunch of roles.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Wizard Styles posted:

I mean, it's fine that they actually make you feel his betrayal, and you can get him back pretty quickly even if you fight the battle against Armag first. If you're unlucky you might not be able to assign someone to one event because of it but that should be about it.

You can get him back with certain choices. If, as a evil dude, you want to keep the magic doohickey instead of destroying it, you end up with no one to assign to that slot for the rest of the game. Considering you find most of your advisers wandering through the woods, and that few of them seem qualified, the lack of options is hilarious.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Cynic Jester posted:

You can get him back with certain choices. If, as a evil dude, you want to keep the magic doohickey instead of destroying it, you end up with no one to assign to that slot for the rest of the game. Considering you find most of your advisers wandering through the woods, and that few of them seem qualified, the lack of options is hilarious.

They should have an option for council positions akin to creating a whole party of mercenaries instead of using NPC companions -- let you hire bodies to fill out your council, with default text/handling based on alignment or something. If you want special flavor text, you can slap one of the actual NPCs into the role, but if you just want a warm body filling it in accordance to the alignment bent you want to play, just throw money at some rando.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah, if you really roleplay a specific non-Good Lawful character or someone leaning that way you possibly won't have anyone that works well for you at any point.

You probably won't pardon the demon goddess cult leader and invite her to be your advisor. And even if you're okay with Tristian before he betrays you you probably won't get him back. So that leaves the option that effectively requires you to publicly stab Jamandi in the back.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what the gently caress, that's where I will wind up aaaaa

Fortunately you can get him back soon, if you don't mind it from a roleplaying perspective. However, supposedly you can gently caress up the other story quests if you go grab him at the wrong time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xeria posted:

They should have an option for council positions akin to creating a whole party of mercenaries instead of using NPC companions -- let you hire bodies to fill out your council, with default text/handling based on alignment or something. If you want special flavor text, you can slap one of the actual NPCs into the role, but if you just want a warm body filling it in accordance to the alignment bent you want to play, just throw money at some rando.

Or there should be one, unkillable advisor with poor stats ala Bartholomew for every post. Hell, make it so there are five free advisors for the ten slots, with two possible roles for each one if you want to introduce some tension. Just don't loving make the player frustrated over something as rudimentary as staffing issues.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mauman posted:

Yeah, it seems to be a common gently caress-up with newbie gm's, at least back in the day. :corsair:

What says "this place is full of mystery and adventure"?

Why, a big cool looking door made out of some awesome material...that'll interest them.

Wait - why are they now fixated on the door :confused:

We did a one off of GUMSHOE set in Edinburgh where an ambassador had a bodyguard that our DM talked up and talked up so when we captured him we spent loving forever messing about trying to do stuff until he exploded at us that it was pointless and was mad we were wasting our time.
But why make them sound so interesting and mysterious if they're not?!

I think Kingmaker suffers a lot from that - it doesn't do a good job of showing what's actually interesting and what's just a random hard fight for no actual reason.

malhavok posted:

One third of monks? lawful is already a must for being a monk in the first place.

More like maybe a 50th of monks. There was a poll of D&D characters that showed Evil is a pretty tiny proportion of players. You're a hero, why are you playing evil?
Remember that (for example) only 18% of people played a female Sheperd in Mass Effect. And 60% or so were soldiers too. Most people stick to the default and "good" is definitely the default.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Lawful evil monks own you're basically the bad guy from any given martial arts movie

Lawful Evil owns in general.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Kingmaker might be the first game to actually make me want to play an evil character.
The story works well for one and the dialogue options for evil characters make sense and don't require you to play a bloodthirsty psychopath.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Whoops.

This also rendered Hour of Rage incompletable.

So I had dropped a Cloudkill earlier. Then when the battle was won and I was told to go talk to Jamandi I thought she was back at camp, so I set my marker there and alt tabbed. Realized later that that was not the case, ran back and witnessed that.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 27, 2018

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me where they found a magic falchion? +1 keen preferably but any will do. I'm swinging a masterwork weapon at level 8 like a schmuck.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Wizard Styles posted:

Kingmaker might be the first game to actually make me want to play an evil character.
The story works well for one and the dialogue options for evil characters make sense and don't require you to play a bloodthirsty psychopath.

Chaotic Evil has an option to kill every single person you meet. Has anyone done that? I would think you might avoid a lot of the bugs by doing that, and gets some nice loot in the process. Might make for more BP's to buy too.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Weird, loaded a save in the Pitax tavern and the map was reversed. It was normal on exiting and returning, also on loading again.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Comstar posted:

Chaotic Evil has an option to kill every single person you meet. Has anyone done that? I would think you might avoid a lot of the bugs by doing that, and gets some nice loot in the process. Might make for more BP's to buy too.

Doing that is going to seriously shoot yourself in the foot.

Chaotic evil might as well be Chaotic stupid most of the time in this game.

I love it when people are complaining about having no options for treasurer or other positions and then mention "oh yeah, I killed those dudes" when asked if they bothered to talk to certain characters.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The only option I've seen for treasurer is a companion who appears in an otherwise unremarkable wilderness area, but only if you enter after a certain point with no reason you would ever revisit it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Agnostalgia posted:

The only option I've seen for treasurer is a companion who appears in an otherwise unremarkable wilderness area, but only if you enter after a certain point with no reason you would ever revisit it.
There's no huge red exclamation mark?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, upgrading my capital to a city broke the merchant who sells BPs. I think this is the breaking point, the game has felt like a chore for a while, now I don't really feel like playing further any more.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Can someone tell me where they found a magic falchion? +1 keen preferably but any will do. I'm swinging a masterwork weapon at level 8 like a schmuck.

There are some random scimitars +1, but you can get a good magic scimitar (made for magus specifically in SIlverstep village.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
At long last, on my way to the (probably) final battle, I finally found a dragon to kill.

And all I can say is drat, Jaethal.

I mean, Octavia did most of the work once she actually broke through the spell resistance but...drat. Nice dice rolling, Jae.

Also, and this might be a first for the RPG genre: you can take the entire hoard. You don't get any money but it adds 1,000 BP to your coffers.

steinrokkan posted:

lol, upgrading my capital to a city broke the merchant who sells BPs. I think this is the breaking point, the game has felt like a chore for a while, now I don't really feel like playing further any more.
Is your game up to date? If so, check the game file integrity. That bug got fixed a while ago.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 27, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wizard Styles posted:

At long last, on my way to the (probably) final battle, I finally found a dragon to kill.

I mean, Octavia did most of the work once she actually broke through the spell resistance but...drat. Nice dice rolling, Jae.

Also, and this might be a first for the RPG genre: you can take the entire hoard. You don't get any money but it adds 1,000 BP to your coffers.

Is your game up to date? If so, check the game file integrity. That bug got fixed a while ago.

Crit not confirmed with a natural 20? Is that a bug?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

dreadmojo posted:

Crit not confirmed with a natural 20? Is that a bug?

That's weird. My guess is that the critical hit only hit because of the natural 20, so for the second roll the game simply calculated 20 + whatever the bonus was and saw that it wouldn't hit and assumed that wasn't a confirmation, or something along those lines.

That's obviously not the intended behavior of criticals in 3.5 or Pathfinder, so that's a bug.

P.S. : To be fair, there's non-trivial chance that might just be a display bug. As in, for some reason, the game displayed a Natural 20 as a result twice, even though the confirm roll wasn't a Natural 20.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know for sure that a natural 20 on a confirmation roll is intended to be an auto-success in the tabletop either, natural 20s are only really a thing for saving throws and attack rolls but they don't make that very clear.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I would have to check the rules in the Pathfinder manual specifically, but my understanding is that confirmation rolls work like attack rolls, so I'd expect a Natural 20 to lead to a confirmation. But I guess that's the sort of thing that might led to an errata to clarify, due to the ambiguity (I feel like RPG writers still need to work on their clarity).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

mauman posted:

Doing that is going to seriously shoot yourself in the foot.

Chaotic evil might as well be Chaotic stupid most of the time in this game.

I love it when people are complaining about having no options for treasurer or other positions and then mention "oh yeah, I killed those dudes" when asked if they bothered to talk to certain characters.

The game isn't clear at all when any given non-party NPC may be available to be an advisor, but even then, why would I want an evil priestess to be my barony's councilor even if I knew ahead of time that she could be?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Wizard Styles posted:

Jaethal is a terrible person for my good-aligned party but every time I think I should bench her she drops some ridiculous hit like that and I reconsider.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

this game is cool and all, but at dc35 my party should be unravelling the mysteries of the universe and discerning the true nature of gods, not failing a perception check to see where a farmer stashed some copper pieces after a particularly successful pig auction.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

jfood posted:

this game is cool and all, but at dc35 my party should be unravelling the mysteries of the universe and discerning the true nature of gods, not failing a perception check to see where a farmer stashed some copper pieces after a particularly successful pig auction.

Lmao I know. This entire game could have every check lowered by ten and then it would be in line and make sense. Instead it's some vodka fueled Russian homebrew. I'm gonna make a sneak attack monk named Blyat in ode to the devs

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The insane perception rolls even on hardest is why I am perfectly okay to cheat my stats, because gently caress you game. I want to finish my item sets and you make the score wildly above even slightly cheated stats.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the flip side, I quite enjoyed the dumb DC0 perception checks that pop up from time to time. (I saw one in the Chapter 4 dungeon.)

Like an impatient DM trying to herd a clowder of cats.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
According to d20pfsrd a confirmation roll is "another attack roll" so it should confirm on a 20.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

jfood posted:

iirc the dc50+ persuasion from upthread is literally mindcontrol at (then) divine levels

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SubNat posted:

On the flip side, I quite enjoyed the dumb DC0 perception checks that pop up from time to time. (I saw one in the Chapter 4 dungeon.)

Like an impatient DM trying to herd a clowder of cats.

I rolled a 1 on one of those, got the successful flavour text, but it didn't reveal the map location I needed to complete the quest :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Crabtree posted:

The insane perception rolls even on hardest is why I am perfectly okay to cheat my stats, because gently caress you game. I want to finish my item sets and you make the score wildly above even slightly cheated stats.

A recent patch said there weren't enough artifact fragments to complete some of them. :allears:

jfood posted:

I didn't roll quite high enough.