Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Exosuits are a pretty big undertaking, though. You need a relative lot of research, refined metal, and a significant amount of power and oxygen.

Soon as I get airlock doors I generally at least dash out into slime and grab 4-8 mushrooms to start growing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah seems like a waste to wait that long, I like digging up refined metal geysers asap to get more over time. Like I love having bases that's like 50% gold tiles for free.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You don’t need exosuits unless going into the oil biome.

Slime is trivial to deal with. Have a single storage container set to store slime and a priority of 9. For me, this is located inside my mushroom farm room, submerged in water.

Then what happens is that whenever your dupes dig a block of slime, they immediately pick it up and go store it before it can emit germy polluted oxygen.

With this approach I have never seen dupe immunity dip below 100%.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Even then, you really only have to worry about the oil biome if you're digging into crude oil deposits and your dupes take scalding damage from the liquid. Or having your coolant flash steam in your dupe's face.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 26, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah I'm on my first base without exosuits, as mentioned they eat oxygen like crazy and just in the end create a lot of heat issues because of the SPOM's needed. I get a little concerned about the ice biome but I try to not put too much work in there at once.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So do job mastery perks remain constant even if I swap a dupe's job out? I didn't know I could have dupes master lots of different jobs and keep the perks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They keep their progress, but the perks are retained only if they have mastered that job.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

As long as the job has been learned 100%, yes. You can have someone learn to mine obsidian and then have them switch into the courier job and they'll still mine obsidian. This also means the stat increase you get from taking a job becomes permanent.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

misguided rage posted:

The main benefit to setting up exosuit checkpoints is that your dupes spend less time running back and forth trying to find oxygen and more time on productive work.

Less time on peeing, too! :eng101:

Don’t be afraid of using copper ore to set up early game wiring, as you will want to redo it all later on with conductive wiring anyway! Think of this ore as “banked” for future exosuits. Just don’t forget and refine all it into copper.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

misguided rage posted:

The main benefit to setting up exosuit checkpoints is that your dupes spend less time running back and forth trying to find oxygen and more time on productive work.

Supplying oxygen to the outside consumes power, oxygen resources and dupe time. It is difficult to not have pockets where they don't have air. Dealing with slime is a constant issue (micro).

But maybe it is just difference of approaches. I spend my first cycles, where you have all the resources you need in your starting area, getting through some research/learning training. This makes getting to exosuits tech a non-issue. Then, the initial outlay for exosuits really isn't much? The power drain is tiny, the oxygen is used by the dupes in the suit (people talking like it is wasted?). The resources you need are going to be in your base or a few tiles out.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sillybones posted:

My opinion is that you want to go straight for exosuits before doing any real exploring outside the base. Too much micro and inefficiency otherwise.

Caustic and frozen areas are safe enough to explore as is and early, just fill the rooms with oxygen by building generator+ battery+deoxydizer station right in there.
No reason to wait till exosuites, especially since caustic has tons of algae, coal and iron and frozen has frozen water. Probably stay out of swamp and oil, healing dupes from slimelung and burns takes too long.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 26, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
See and I find slimelung is almost completely harmless, and the only time my dupes get sick is from hypothermia digging in ice biomes when the water melts.

Plus slime biomes are full of polluted oxygen, so just plopping a couple deodorizers makes “free” oxygen out there. Or so it appears.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Griz posted:

liceloaf is bad, it uses too much water. build a stove and make pickled meal which doesn't use water, or switch to blossoms. the spawn point is a light source so you can grow at least 5 blossoms next to it as soon as you get seeds.

:ssh: Blossoms use more water than liceloaf (20 kg per plant per day). Water is just more easily renewable than dirt and gristle berries more efficient to cook than liceloaf.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm phone posting but i managed to save my dupe, and fill my base with O2. I've only got 7 dupes at the moment, but i am starting to fill a tank of excess oxygen, and i have a full tank of excess hydrogen. I played around with the atmo sensor numbers and got it to run pretty much constantly. Right now I'm trying to set up systems around a water geyser i found and a cool steam vent. I have one of those aent things near the geyser that I'm going to try and put to use.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

As long as the job has been learned 100%, yes. You can have someone learn to mine obsidian and then have them switch into the courier job and they'll still mine obsidian. This also means the stat increase you get from taking a job becomes permanent.

Also when a dupe has mastered a job a crown appears next to the job name on the listings; you can mouse over that and see who has mastery of it. Handy for figuring out who still needs to learn how to gofer or who is in good position to do one of the jobs that requires multiple career tracks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Slimelung is really easy to avoid with some basic precautions and now that ceramic has a use there's more of a reason to hit up the slime biome early.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Everyone is talking about ceramic as if it is important. I have used zero of it. I use insulated igneous rock to control heat and it seems to work completely fine. Could someone explain a bit more?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly I feel that unless you're containing lava you're probably fine with using anything insulated since insulated tiles have 1% of the construction material's thermal conductivity. For me most of the heat seeps through the doors anyways.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm actually planning to just have long stretches of pipes in vacuumed out corridors for the large majority of their length and then only use ceramic at break points, crossing areas and entrances/exits. Haven't tested it yet but ceramic is such a huge pain in the rear end to make that if it works the way I think it will then the insulation of a vacuum is poo poo tons easier to make.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Do power shut off switches work on heavi-watt wire?

Edit: it does. I'm trying to find a way to dump the excess power from my electrlyzer into my grid, and i can't find a good way to do it.

Edit 2: The only real way to do this is to use a power transformer with a switch between the output and the circuit you want to dump the power into. The problem with this in my base, at least, is that I would need to replace everything on the hydrogen generator circuit with heavi-watt wire which at this point is not feasible because i would have to destroy a room full of hydrogen and oxygen and gently caress everything up.

pakman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 27, 2018

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Yes, manual and automation.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Klei give us a power sensor that stands in for a wire tile and triggers if power on one side is above or below a threshold thanks. Edit: Or at least if power on the entire circuit it's a part of is above/below a threshold if the engine can't tell what the power on one side of a wire is

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 27, 2018

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
My latest base basically ran out of coal. I've only been running a couple generators for like 40 cycles or so. Is the solution just to keep digging to find more or is there some better way to do this/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DarkAvenger211 posted:

My latest base basically ran out of coal. I've only been running a couple generators for like 40 cycles or so. Is the solution just to keep digging to find more or is there some better way to do this/

Ranch Hatches and feed them rocks to get them to poo poo coal. I'm not sure how many you need per generator but a big enough operation can meet all your power needs forever. The caustic biome also has big deposits of coal which can help until you get that going.

I like oil and I hope it refineries become automated or there's an automated option available some day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Set up some automation (i.e. connect your power generators to a smart battery) and the generators will only turn on when they're needed. It cuts down massively on the amount of fuel you use.

Also diversifying your power does wonders. If you can find a nearby natural gas vent you'll be more or less set for a while. If not you can generate power (and oxygen) via electrolysis. And in the end, once you have more dupes, there's always hamster wheels.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

Caustic and frozen areas are safe enough to explore as is and early, just fill the rooms with oxygen by building generator+ battery+deoxydizer station right in there.
No reason to wait till exosuites, especially since caustic has tons of algae, coal and iron and frozen has frozen water. Probably stay out of swamp and oil, healing dupes from slimelung and burns takes too long.

An even easier way to do this is to build those new gas de-bottlers inside little pocket rooms far from base and just set them to empty out oxygen when needed. Doesn't need any electricity or ventilation at all.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

BattleMaster posted:

Ranch Hatches and feed them rocks to get them to poo poo coal. I'm not sure how many you need per generator but a big enough operation can meet all your power needs forever. The caustic biome also has big deposits of coal which can help until you get that going.

I like oil and I hope it refineries become automated or there's an automated option available some day.

Apparently it is 9 hatches to run a generator full time. But you probably don't need to run full time. I ran two coal generators off one full hatch farm.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've jumped into this game deeply, no clue how many times I've restarted now. Never made it to space, but I've done some crazy things like cooking crude oil directly to petroleum without the refinery (this converts 1:1 instead of 2:1). Also actually got the drat steam turbine to work.

Dirt may be more renewable than water using the fertilizer synthesizer. You can covert dirt, polluted water, and phosphorite to fertilizer, which if you cook to 125C turns back into more dirt than you started with. Never done this conversion before though, so I don't know if the dirt forms a tile - if it does you might lose 50% on digging it, defeating the purpose.

Fertilizer seems useless otherwise. It saves you resources, but the amount of duplicant time needed to actually use it is insane - 2 tasks per plant per day.

On ranching - you don't have to treat your critters well, only those you want to breed. Fed but ungroomed tame hatches still eat and will produce 1 egg/lifecycle. You can have one stable full of hatches you breed and many other small rooms crammed with 20 hatches, a feeder, a drop off, and an autosweeper. Overcrowding doesn't stop reproduction if there are no eggs present, only reduces it to the wild rate, so autosweep the eggs and send them to a special hatchery room.

You don't need exo suits to explore most biomes, but I like to use them when I get them online. Getting trapped in some remote location without oxygen is the leading cause of duplicant death with me. I've had suits run out of oxygen, but still have never lost a dupe in a suit.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So I finally resisted restart syndrome got a colony up to cycle 300 and walled off space.

Things I've learned that might be helpful to the people asking for help here.

Think of every problem as a progressing. Be it oxygen, food, power, water anything you need follows it and it's the main game loop of ONI.

You go from survival to efficient to sustainable. Maybe with a few extra steps in the efficiency part.

When you first deal with something it's about being quick to keep your dupes alive and going then you improve to be more efficient but still finite before finally you implement something that will be sustainable forever.

With oxygen for example you go from surviving off oxylite blocks to efficient algea deoxidisers and then into a sustainable spom (water from a cool steam vent into an electroliser and cooling). Same for all your other problems at different levels of complexity.

Getting down to oil is super important. But not for the oil, i havent made much use of it yet, but for using it as coolant. You need exosuits or your dupes burn. But if you plan on a long term play through you need to wall off space. That needs a bunker which is made from steel. Steel needs iron, carbon and lime.

Oil biome has fossils which give you lime when run through s rock crusher. Way better than egg shells. But iron and then steel in then metal refinery generate so much heat they will super heat your water or polluted water based coolants and that gets messy. Super heated steam flying around your base is annoying. But oil makes a fantastic coolant and got me through 26t of steel without a problem.

In terms of starting, I have that down nicely now.

Standard toilets, washbasin, water access and beds.
Research and power.
Farms 5 meal plants per dupe and algea deoxidisers (don't know maths on this but it seems 1 per 5 works well). Stay at 5 or less dupes until spom.
Dig out a water tank near the bottom of my starting biome. Get all water into it.
Go for grills quickly and make pickled meal (doesn't take water)
Dig out 3 smaller water tanks. Polluted with germs, fresh with germs, polluted without germs.
Decorate base and build rec room and great hall
Coal power and smart batteries
Lavatories and sinks with water reclamation
Mushroom farm instead of meal

At this point you are about cycle 40-60 and set for a good while as your coal, slime and algea will last ages. Moral will be hardest to manage here.

Then I explore for a cool steam geyser to get off algea as that will run out first. My farms have expanded and I'll run with 7 dupes. While setting up ranching, glossy drekkos are good for easy plastic. Exosuits come up and I start prepping for walling off space. It takes a long time to make that much steel.

Having a base layout in mind from the start helps as well. I like a central trunk, ladder and firepole etc, 3 wide for gas movement and then 23 or so tile wide areas on each side. Dupes move up and down ladders as fast as side to side but move super fast on firepoles. So vertical makes a lot of sense.

Then I have a second, hard to access trunk on one side, this time 6 or 8 across where all my resources move. Heavy watt goes up this and little transformer rooms get dug out for each floor. Gas and water moves up and down here before splitting off for each floor. Makes changing things in future much easier, I just have to plug inputs and outputs into the right place on the Same level and not run huge complex circuits.

I also go a pattern of 4 high rooms, 2 high utility floor, 4 high room, 2, 4, 2. But often make a 3 and a 3 or even a 7 high room when needed.

With the trunk I find a gas sorting room useful. I have 1 gas in pipe that vents into a sealed room. There it's sucked up into filters that store it in gas storage floors for each type of gas. Saves me the headache of having to bother with complex pipes just stick a gas pump and connect it up and the room will sort out the rest while I have each gas on tap from storage when I need it.

Also don't worry about building the designs on the internet perfect first time. Take the spom. It's a complicated bitch to build and get right. I will make a fancy one at some point in my base but time matters until you've sorted your basics. So I slapped a water pump in the geyser, found an anti entropy machine, walled it off and put tempshift plates across 8 squares. Put down my electroliser and hydrogen power and left it at that. It's not efficient, it still pulls from the grid and the oxygen is coming into my base at about 25c but it didn't take long to build and I could move on quickly and come back later rather then spending 60 cycles trying to get it perfect.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
With the spom I've gotten even lazier for cooling my early oxygen output - I run it through my water tank with a stretch of radiant gas piping. I'll eventually need to cool the water, but this lets me put the problem off for a very long time.

Edit: I should add, my early game method for cooling hot liquids is to pump them into a frost biome. If you dig a block, you only get 50% of the mass, the other 50% is destroyed. If you melt ice instead you get the full 100% as liquid. Doing this gets me cool water and more of it, though it does take some effort.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 27, 2018

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

In my current game I'm thinking about growing bristle which needs sustainable cold water. Currently planning on taking the polluted oxygen from an infectious vent or two. Trapping it into a room. Running very cold hydrogen in pipes through the room to turn it into polluted h20. This will be really cold. So some goes into a sieve to become normal h20 and the cold stuff is used to cool that to 25 or so degrees c.

Once that's set up I can use the polluted h20 that cools the sieve output to cool something much hotter before it goes into the sieve itself.

Any ideas if this would work? My first big engineering project without using someone else's guide.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
I'm about to have to restart my first base that made it past 200 cycles and could still keep going. The major source of woe is heat, I just didn't build with heat mitigation in mind for future expansion. I just got a AETN off the ground around cycle 300, but my petrol is coming out too hot for the generators to handle without damage and I doubt I'm going to be able to stave off a failure cascade just patching everything with bandaids. I need to break into the slime earlier to get reeds or train up a rancher to sheer dreko's so I can get atmo suits and expand how far and how quickly I can dig out from the base.

For anyone that's farmed mushrooms, do I have to clean the slime before using it in the farm plots like germ contaminated water so it doesn't infest the mushrooms with slime lung?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Nah no need. Just have a storage container in water to stop your co2 room filling with polluted o.

Since you cook mushrooms on the grill it kills any germs. Dont know about eating raw mushrooms since it's dumb to not cook them.

Mushrooms are great for early food as they only take slime. A co2 room is easy to make and it's a +2 moral difference from pickled meal. I get them going very early, a small farm can support a lot of dupes.

I lay them out. 3 farm tiles. 1 raised. Water with storage 1 raised. 3 farm. Then three tiles up you can do 2 tiles ladder spaces and repeat this let's you eventually put an auto sweeper in. Two of these is feeding 7 dupes and creating a stupidly excessive amount of extra.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 27, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

In my current game I'm thinking about growing bristle which needs sustainable cold water. Currently planning on taking the polluted oxygen from an infectious vent or two. Trapping it into a room. Running very cold hydrogen in pipes through the room to turn it into polluted h20. This will be really cold. So some goes into a sieve to become normal h20 and the cold stuff is used to cool that to 25 or so degrees c.

Once that's set up I can use the polluted h20 that cools the sieve output to cool something much hotter before it goes into the sieve itself.

Any ideas if this would work? My first big engineering project without using someone else's guide.

Unless I missed something, polluted oxygen doesn't turn into polluted water when it gets cold, nor does putting liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen in the same space produce water.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mushrooms are my go-to starter food. A CO2 room is easy to wall off, running out of slime is never an issue (and much, much less important than water in the beginning) and fried mushrooms are good morale for that stage of the game while allowing me to basically ignore calories quickly to work on other priorities.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

Unless I missed something, polluted oxygen doesn't turn into polluted water when it gets cold, nor does putting liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen in the same space produce water.

drat I thought cooling polluted oxygen so it turns into a liquid created polluted h20. Makes no sense chemically but then much of this game doesn't.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

You are correct, polluted oxygen needs to be below -183.3 degrees Celsius to turn into liquid oxygen. You would be better off deodorizing it since it only requires sand to function and you would only lose 10% of the volume to the machine. Or attempting a puff farm to turn it into slime.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't deal with slime, it just spreads slimelung everywhere. I mined like 5 tiles and brought it back to the base, and in the brief moment of it falling on the floor and being put into a compactor, it made a fair amount of slimelung pollution, even with a deodorizer right beside it that I put just for this task.

How am I meant to mine slime effectively without exosuits?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Qubee posted:

I can't deal with slime, it just spreads slimelung everywhere. I mined like 5 tiles and brought it back to the base, and in the brief moment of it falling on the floor and being put into a compactor, it made a fair amount of slimelung pollution, even with a deodorizer right beside it that I put just for this task.

How am I meant to mine slime effectively without exosuits?

Slime really isn't as big a deal as you Think it is.

First off it's really really hard to have a dupe die to it. I missed a really bad situation for a while and my dupe had 600k slimlung in him and immune of 20% he just needed a few cycles in a Medbay and was fine. And that's a really bad case. Plenty of times they just get better with no treatment from the 200k range. As long as you don't let them go back into the polluted area until they are healthy.

Pockets of slimlung in your base are meaningless. Oxygen kills it and most oxygen on the map should be in your base right. 20k here or there doesn't matter.

Spam deoderisers though they are cheap and really effective.

The key with slim is to deal with it in small sections, seal off, dig out, deoderise and store slime, wait a couple cycles, continue. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Oh but set your slime storage to have a high priority and not sweep only, so the dupes actually clean it up.