Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Great. Now I'm too paralyzed with indecision to vote. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
While that just solidified my thought that it was the father that named Patter

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Poil posted:

Oh, don't be silly, Patter Song is just messing with our minds, there is no way this mysteriously old student could possibly have something to do with our complicated and only hinted at family history.

Mom, incidentally.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

Yes, yes it is. And it's completely unclear to the player on the first run of the game which one is the "right" or "wrong" answer.

Gotta get replay value up somehow on your VN, am I right?

"Take off your glasses?"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I think that I'm going to give the thread the option to vote on literally every choice regarding Chigusa (I may change my mind, but that's how I'm currently feeling). There's very few of them that are "minor."

What I was trying to do is eliminate the need to have votes constantly about characters whose results won't be in doubt. I will periodically (once every four or five or so updates) retake the thread's pulse regarding all of the Student Council and Utena and our attitudes towards them and base minor votes about them on that. Even that won't cover every single situation: sometimes the characters will directly ask us our opinion about something and we'll have to answer and it's not directly obvious whether the result will be "Jury likes us more" or "Jury dislikes us more," and in those cases you'll have to vote.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm gonna say Mom because our dad seems like a patronizing rear end in a top hat and I hope we carry as little of that baggage as possible.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Clearly, she knows our parents and thinks we'll take after whoever gave us our name. Therefore, father is saying we want to take over her spot, and mother says we want to get into the pants of the Fencing Club Captain.

So, in the spirit of #alwayszettaiunmeimokushiroku, thanks, dad.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Patter Song posted:

That weird feeling where, after eight years on Something Awful, you suddenly feel self-conscious about your username.

Names are arbitrary and made up, DAD!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I feel like the way the thread has been going in terms of length isn't broken so it doesn't need fixing. That's my thought on shorter vs longer.

As for not having a vote every few panels, I wouldn't mind if you made this run one where we're following Juri's line as much as we can, being friendly to Utena and Miki while being hostile to Saionji and Touga. If you want to give us all the votes on Chigusa then do that and I'll let you know if it works or not.

Chigusa isn't wearing school uniform. Is she headed for the student council?

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Azza Bamboo posted:

Chigusa isn't wearing school uniform. Is she headed for the student council?

The student council still wear school uniforms, theirs are just badass "for some reason".

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Vote's currently 9-8 Dad over Mom. Will call the vote when I go to bed in a few hours, so get those last minute votes in.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Camel Pimp posted:

I refuse to believe that her dad put any effort into any part of Song's upbringing so mom it is.

Going with our mom naming us!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

father!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Mom

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mom

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
I vote father, if the vote's still going.

I just noticed this thread yesterday and while I'd heard about the English patch coming out I've never investigated this game, so this has been fun so far. It's especially interesting to see people's first time reactions to these characters and their circumstances. Reading the beginning of this thread, I'm reminded how first impressions of this series sometimes turn off people who would otherwise enjoy where it ends up going, so I hope not too many newcomers have bailed already :shobon:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dad!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I can't remember if I love the english dub of Utena or not (aside from being distracted by all the pokemon voice actors), but I do remember thinking that the dub for the movie was good. I don't know what the difference was; they kept the same cast IIRC, so maybe director?

Anyway, I vote Dad!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dad wins. Patriarchy trumps all, I suppose.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Pyrotoad posted:

I can't remember if I love the english dub of Utena or not (aside from being distracted by all the pokemon voice actors), but I do remember thinking that the dub for the movie was good. I don't know what the difference was; they kept the same cast IIRC, so maybe director?

From what I've read, Ikuhara had a more direct, supervisory role in how the English dub for the movie came out. I don't see much difference between the show and movie's English VA personally since the actors are the same in both, and are mostly not that good in both, but maybe that's why you liked it for the movie?

I wish there was more details about his role in working with American voice actors, I doubt there's much to tell but it's interesting to me that he went that far to shape how English speaking audiences would perceive the film, even in some small way. If there's examples of other anime directors doing more than leaving it up to the ADR director, I haven't heard of them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Patter Song posted:

Yes, yes it is. And it's completely unclear to the player on the first run of the game which one is the "right" or "wrong" answer.

Gotta get replay value up somehow on your VN, am I right?

For additional logic in it being made by our father - have you SEEN our jokes? We clearly take after our dad.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Flac posted:

I wish there was more details about his role in working with American voice actors, I doubt there's much to tell but it's interesting to me that he went that far to shape how English speaking audiences would perceive the film, even in some small way. If there's examples of other anime directors doing more than leaving it up to the ADR director, I haven't heard of them.

According to legend, after the shitshow that was the English dub of Nasuica, Miyazaki refused to have any American company localize any of their movies thereafter; when they abated for Spirited Away, they supposedly sent the localization director an actual katana with a note attached reading "no cuts".

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ace of Aces posted:

According to legend, after the shitshow that was the English dub of Nasuica, Miyazaki refused to have any American company localize any of their movies thereafter; when they abated for Spirited Away, they supposedly sent the localization director an actual katana with a note attached reading "no cuts".

actually it's way better than just some localisation director, the guy they sent the katana to was Harvey Weinstein

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gluten Freeman posted:

actually it's way better than just some localisation director, the guy they sent the katana to was Harvey Weinstein

I start a thread that deals with themes about the depictions of gender and sexuality in media and eventually we end up talking about Harvey Weinstein, but through the most obtuse back door imaginable. An end point that, in retrospect, felt like it had to be made, and it's natural that the conversation reached that point, but it took a very unusual route to get there and the twist was legitimately surprising.

This thread is directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara, apparently.

Excuse me, I have to ascend an endless staircase and transform into a cow now.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Gluten Freeman posted:

Oh poo poo, that really happened? I thought it was an urban legend.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

the note should have explained how to commit seppuku.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Gluten Freeman posted:

oh lol i forgot about this. i think it was mononoke that the katana was sent for though, which is even more impressive that they followed through with no cuts

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Aha, I had the cover saved. It's whatever this is the English release of, but I'm pretty sure it's Nasuica.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

After seeing that cover/film, I don't blame Miyazaki for sending katanas to people wanting to localize his work. Comically missing the point doesnt begin to describe it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can imagine a US edit stopping at episode 11 and then finding a way to edit a thing where Utena and Touga kiss. The end.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ace of Aces posted:

Aha, I had the cover saved. It's whatever this is the English release of, but I'm pretty sure it's Nasuica.

There's no way. That looks like a high-concept album cover.

Sorry about the slow updates this past week, but I should get the next update out either today or tomorrow.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's real, and they cut it to try to downplay Nasuicaa herself as much of possible and to axe the environmental message. Yeah, Miyazaki was pissed

Honestly, with Utena, they'd probably pull a Clover and make her and Anthy "Cousins"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, with Utena, they'd probably pull a Clover and make her and Anthy "Cousins"

Disagree. They'd play up the "OMG, I'm engaged to a girl? How crazy is that! Girls don't marry girls!" element. You couldn't do "Anthy and Utena are cousins" for a variety of reasons (skin tone not least among them), but most importantly is that the entire crux of the show is the Dueling competitions to be engaged to Anthy and you literally need to just scrap the whole thing and start over if you lose that.

I do think that the easiest way to make Utena "work" is to just stop it at episode 12. There's no amount of cutting that'd make the back half of that series acceptable for broadcast television in ~1999-2002.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You could play some of the duels from the later episodes as though they were before Touga if you really need to stretch it out.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
... Utena actually did have an English dub though, didn't it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ace of Aces posted:

... Utena actually did have an English dub though, didn't it?

but not a TV broadcast dub, which is a different kind of beast.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

"Anthy is 'The Rose Buddy'. Whoever wins her in a duel gets to be her best friend. Platonic love as strong as this this deserves to be fought over"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One thing I did hear about Utena is that Ikuhara was adamant about using guns for the duels instead of swords, because there are more variants and more interesting poses they could use where swords are difficult to work with. They only decided against it because there was a high profile shooting before production started. It's always going to bug me wondering how that would have been.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 28, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

but not a TV broadcast dub, which is a different kind of beast.

Yeah, Utena's dub was very faithful (I didn't much care for the way it was acted out, but it's faithful to the content).

It was never, ever designed to air on television.

Re: swords vs guns, yeah, there's an Ikuhara interview on ohtori.nu in which he states that he chose swords due to an American mass shooting. I very much doubt the show would be as good with guns. Guns basically gives you pistol vs rifle vs shotgun as options, which is three people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

how would guns utena even work? like, some john woo gun fu poo poo, or western quick draws or what? if it is western quick draws is everyone required to wear cowboy boots? I'm sorry, idk why but this is the thing I just can't stop trying to wrap my head around