Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should make a Boba Fett movie but it should be Mr. Magoo, with him bumbling through everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It should be a Life of Brian thing where they run into space redneck Bubba Fett, who's introduced shooting cans off a fence with his blaster rifle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It should be a Life of Brian thing where they run into space redneck Bubba Fett, who's introduced shooting cans off a fence with his blaster rifle.

Isn't this basically Luke at the start of ANH

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

How can you forget his classic line "AAAAAyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Umph!"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I dont remember this scene

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

I dont remember this scene
It's from an Epic Rap Battle of History episode.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

That guy already sounds more competent than the real one. Does he know how to work his own jet pack?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this basically Luke at the start of ANH

No one wants Luke as a messiah

Interesting that ANH and LoB were both shot in Tunisia though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vince MechMahon posted:

That guy already sounds more competent than the real one. Does he know how to work his own jet pack?

I think flat-out depicting Boba Fett as kind of an incompetent gently caress up who gets carried away and needs to be admonished personally by Darth Vader not to disintegrate anyone would get the hardcores angrier than they were with Luke in Last Jedi.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cast Taika Waititi as an adult Boba Fett who is just kind of a charming, violent dipshit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

feedmyleg posted:

Cast Taika Waititi as an adult Boba Fett who is just kind of a charming, violent dipshit.
This times a million.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AV Club review for "Bohemian Rhapsody" reveals that what everyone had been speculating about the film, that it doesn't touch upon Mercury's sexuality and AIDS diagnosis, were wrong. The film does cover it. Not well, mind you. But that seems to be the review on whole.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

why would you do this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

AV Club review for "Bohemian Rhapsody" reveals that what everyone had been speculating about the film, that it doesn't touch upon Mercury's sexuality and AIDS diagnosis, were wrong. The film does cover it. Not well, mind you. But that seems to be the review on whole.

I've seen other reviews that argue that the film's depiction of Mercury's sexuality is fairly problematic

quote:

But its depiction of his sexuality is more troubling. It’s a film that seems to view the fact that Mercury was gay as little short of a tragedy. His homosexuality leaves him lonely, unable to share his bandmates’ domestic happiness as they settle down into marriage and parenthood. It drives a musical wedge between the band and their frontman, whose ideas for songs and styles are increasingly founded on his experiences in gay clubs and viewed as antithetical to the spirit of the band.

quote:

It also seems to give him a taste for hedonism that makes him unreliable and unprofessional: according to the film, the rest of Queen seem to have spent the late 70s and 80s tutting and rolling their eyes at Mercury’s behaviour before demurely excusing themselves from whatever deranged bacchanal their singer was leading the charge at and going to bed early. Anyone with a passing interest in the band knows this is nonsense.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...3SYOqzF5A8L5mzI

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've seen other reviews that argue that the film's depiction of Mercury's sexuality is fairly problematic

Wasn't this film sponsored by the surviving members of Queen? Because I'm wondering if that was their call.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Cohen apparently left the movie because of disagreements with the surviving band members, so it wouldn’t be surprising if they were the ones sanitizing the script.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

Wasn't this film sponsored by the surviving members of Queen? Because I'm wondering if that was their call.

it one hundred percent was. there's a very particular image of Freddie Mercury that the remaining members of Queen want the public to have, and it's not one that gels very well with his actual life.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

His was a ferociously private individual. He probably wouldn't even have approved of the movie.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

quote:

But its depiction of his sexuality is more troubling. It’s a film that seems to view the fact that Mercury was gay as little short of a tragedy. His homosexuality leaves him lonely, unable to share his bandmates’ domestic happiness as they settle down into marriage and parenthood. It drives a musical wedge between the band and their frontman, whose ideas for songs and styles are increasingly founded on his experiences in gay clubs and viewed as antithetical to the spirit of the band.

Brian May is the one who likes molding Mercury's image more than the others. Which gets funny when you realize the only who exactly had marital bliss was John Deacon and he's the only one who doesn't involve himself in May's (and to a slightly lesser extent, Roger Taylor's) desperate attempts to stay relevant.

Of course, Queen's near-breakup in the early 1980s was because of a difference in musical opinions, money and their falling out of the spotlight.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Cohen apparently left the movie because of disagreements with the surviving band members, so it wouldn’t be surprising if they were the ones sanitizing the script.

Didn't he want to move things in a comedic direction?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bryan Singer is making a movie about himself through the vehicle of a Freddy Mercury biopic

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't he want to move things in a comedic direction?

I didn’t hear anything about that, but he did say on Howard Stern that one of many issues he had with the film was the sanitization of the story. He really wanted to go into Mercury’s debauchery, e.g. taking a break mid concert to get his rocks off in a dude.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This new Air Bud spinoff has been sending me emails about winning an exclusive hometown screening, so if anyone has ever wanted to see Santa be held hostage by talking dogs while singing dogs have to rescue him, now's your chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHZ00pg2I4A

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Still hilarious to me that they have the gall to continue making puppy Christmas movies after they killed five puppies with a necrotic disease.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I saw the documentary Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender a couple of years ago, and even as someone who is only familiar with the basic facts of Mercury's life, I thought it was incredible and exhilarating to watch. Anyway, after watching that I didn't really feel the need to watch what seems to be another tedious biopic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just realised both Venom and A Star Is Born never left the top 3 weekend box office for the entire month of October. Venom is now at over $500 million worldwide, and A Star Is Born is past $250 million.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In opposite news the long delayed Amber Heard movie London Fields had the second worst wide opening ever with a per screen average of $262.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

I just realised both Venom and A Star Is Born never left the top 3 weekend box office for the entire month of October. Venom is now at over $500 million worldwide, and A Star Is Born is past $250 million.

Venom isn't exactly setting the world on fire compared to some of the box office behemoths we've seen in recent years and it probably won't even finish up in the top 10 domestic or worldwide for 2018 but Sony must be incredibly relieved by how well it's doing. Apart from Jumanji 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming (which were both weird outliers for different reasons) their only other films make more than $200m domestic these two last decades were Skyfall & Spectre, the original Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, The Da Vinci Code and Hancock. They lost the James Bond licence, the Da Vinci Code franchise fizzled (the third movie only made $34m domestic) and the Hancock sequel never happened so pretty much all they were left holding was the Spider-Man IP and they had to go crawling back to Disney to beg them to help re-re-boot it. Venom was their first solo foray back into the franchise and it didn't explode in their face like it easily could have done.

(For comparison, Disney has over 50 movies which made more than $200m domestic in the last 20 years, WB has 35, Universal has 20)

Sony's other big franchise should have been MIB but it just couldn't maintain its momentum and when MIB3 hit screens back in 2012 it looked pretty paltry compared to The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises and The Hunger Games. If you go back even further then their other biggest hit was Ghostbusters and we all know how their attempt to re-invigorate that franchise ended up ...

There must have been a lot riding on Venom to not flop, there would have been a mass unclenching of puckered assholes over at the Sony lot when the opening weekend numbers were announced.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw A Star is Born today. It was really good. I've only ever seen bits and pieces of the Judy Garland one before this. I've been kind of on the fence about Bradley Cooper, largely due to thinking that making American Sniper was a pretty irresponsible move. But this movie was big points in his favor. I also never thought I'd like Andrew Dice Clay in anything, and was pleasantly surprised.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Sony's other big franchise should have been MIB but it just couldn't maintain its momentum and when MIB3 hit screens back in 2012 it looked pretty paltry compared to The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises and The Hunger Games.

gently caress me, I completely forgot MIB 3 came out in 2012. Has Will Smith starred in anything remotely noteworthy since then? Besides After Earth I guess?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

gently caress me, I completely forgot MIB 3 came out in 2012. Has Will Smith starred in anything remotely noteworthy since then? Besides After Earth I guess?

Suicide Squad did decent business.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Suicide Squad, which sucked. He's the genie in Guy Ritchie's Aladdin.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Winter's Bone or whatever that crazy one was

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I keep forgetting he was in Suicide Squad, I guess he must be thankful that one kinda, sorta, turned out okay enough to get a sequel.

I've never actually watched Suicide Squad but everything I've heard about it makes it sound like it got hit hard by Reshoot Syndrome. I wonder if they'll be any better or worse about it now that James Gunn is apparently calling the shots.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Supposedly James Gunn despises Jared Leto for being a creepy pedo, so that's a good start.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thanks I hate it

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

collateral beauty and bright are both noteworthy

not good, but noteworthy

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Bright is good. Suicide Squad is fine. They both did well enough that sequels are happening.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bright is noteworthy

Also Guy Ritchie is making Aladdin with will smith what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Bright is good. Suicide Squad is fine. They both did well enough that sequels are happening.
Fine in that there have been far worse DC movies. By no means a good movie.