Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Anyway, my plan is staying over there for a little less than three months over their summer.

Have you ever experienced awful humidity before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TopHatGenius posted:

Hell make it 2 days and you wouldn't regret it. (Except for your feet)

It's how I spend most of my vacations, but I accept normal people might not be as into it.

I missed the summer part. Please believe me and everyone else when we tell you Japan in summer is a godawful place. If it's summer or not going I'd still go, but unless you like the idea of 35-40 degree temperatures and 300% humidity, prepare to be indoors a lot and spend some of that in Hokkaido for marginally less unpleasantness.

Japanese summer was even worse than Malaysia or Las Vegas in summer, though I was there for literally the hottest summer in recorded history. Doubt it's going to be getting any cooler.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, if you can wrangle spending the time in Sapporo that would be a good move.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

For some reason direct flights to Ibaraki are super cheap so I was thinking of popping over, but how bad of an idea is that? I had planned to travel around the country anyway and not stay much in Tokyo or Osaka if I flew into either place.

Checking transport options though, Ibaraki doesn't look like it's really all that much longer to get to/from Tokyo than Narita anyway, but maybe I'm missing something.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I had no idea there was an airport in Ibaraki.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Checking transport options though, Ibaraki doesn't look like it's really all that much longer to get to/from Tokyo than Narita anyway, but maybe I'm missing something.

It’s probably not much farther from Tokyo than Narita, but Narita has multiple express train lines leaving multiple times an hour, plus buses that go everywhere as well. I’m guessing that’s less developed for Ibaraki.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

I take it you’ve never work overseas because remote work like that basically isn’t legal anywhere insofar as I know (some place may be an exception). In essentially every country if you’re performing revenue generating activity you need to have a visa and often be contractually employed with an incorporated company, or have contracts with customers if self-employed, etc.

Technically all the “digital nomad” types are usually illegal, but it’s a bit of a gray area which nobody cares enough to actually follow up with.

Never worked overseas before, no.

Thanks for everyone who commented, while I knew it was hot I didn't know it could be quite that bad. Good thing you guys are here. Would spring or autumn be a better choice in your opinions? I have other non working travel planned next year as well that I could easy move around to fill the gap.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Definitely spring. Follow the cherry blossoms.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fall's nice too. Anything not summer is fine.

Tourist visa for Americans is 90 days on arrival, I'm guessing Kiwis get the same deal. If you want to stay longer you'll have to leave the country then return, so that'd be your chance to go get fat and drunk in Korea for a week. You can just pop right over and back if you prefer. It's extremely unlikely anyone at immigration will give a poo poo about you doing this, just tell them how much you love glorious Japan and you just can't wait to see some more kawaii (cute) and pinku (pink) things in the world's best country!!!desu if they were to ask.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 25, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It usually takes a few trips for somebody to get suspicious, I had a friend who was dating a Korean guy and he was over like five times in a year and only then did the authorities raise an eyebrow.

Spring is good but loving everyone comes in spring to check the cherry blossoms and thanks to global warming, that is now becoming like one Tuesday in late March. Arriving mid-September will give you pleasant weather (mid-20s and not too humid) through until early December (chilly and dark, ski season in some spots!) which would probably be better IMO.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

harperdc posted:

It’s probably not much farther from Tokyo than Narita, but Narita has multiple express train lines leaving multiple times an hour, plus buses that go everywhere as well. I’m guessing that’s less developed for Ibaraki.

They claim it's a 500yen, 1h40m bus ride to Tokyo Station which isn't that bad, flight times are also pretty convenient for the bus schedule with landing in the morning and taking off in the late afternoon. I'm also only flying in from Shanghai (2.5 hourish flight) so it's not like I'll be jet-lagged or anything.

That said, I was planning on heading north and eventually checking out Hokkaido anyway so I guess landing in Tokyo makes even less of a difference.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Fall's nice too. Anything not summer is fine.

Tourist visa for Americans is 90 days on arrival, I'm guessing Kiwis get the same deal. If you want to stay longer you'll have to leave the country then return, so that'd be your chance to go get fat and drunk in Korea for a week. You can just pop right over and back if you prefer. It's extremely unlikely anyone at immigration will give a poo poo about you doing this, just tell them how much you love glorious Japan and you just can't wait to see some more kawaii (cute) and pinku (pink) things in the world's best country!!!desu if they were to ask.

I was on my seventh or eighth 90 days thing in two years and I finally got flagged at immigration, but that is because I was never in Japan long enough to get a family/spouse visa, and they were super cool about it and like "oh ok" and then they said nice things about my son and I went on me merry way

if it is a few times no one cares, but remember, TWM also got banned from China for doing this for like 5-6 times, so there is definitely a threshold where they start taking it a little more seriously

but a handful of times, you should be fine

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

They claim it's a 500yen, 1h40m bus ride to Tokyo Station which isn't that bad, flight times are also pretty convenient for the bus schedule with landing in the morning and taking off in the late afternoon. I'm also only flying in from Shanghai (2.5 hourish flight) so it's not like I'll be jet-lagged or anything.

If you’ve checked and it works then go for it. My concern was just the general given there’s a million ways to get from Narita into all parts of Kanto, and probably fewer (and less frequent) from Ibaraki.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Browsing Tokyo streetcams rn trying to figure out what clothes to pack.
People are walking around super light huh. I was planning on taking an insulated jacket based on recorded average temps. Guess they're having a nicer-than-average autumn?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

woodenchicken posted:

Browsing Tokyo streetcams rn trying to figure out what clothes to pack.
People are walking around super light huh. I was planning on taking an insulated jacket based on recorded average temps. Guess they're having a nicer-than-average autumn?

Daily highs are still hovering around 20C. Even through the week of Halloween that’s only going to drop to 18C or so. It’s quite pleasant, light jacket weather at most.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

harperdc posted:

If you’ve checked and it works then go for it. My concern was just the general given there’s a million ways to get from Narita into all parts of Kanto, and probably fewer (and less frequent) from Ibaraki.

Yeah my tentative plan was go wander around up north eventually hitting Sapporo (and maybe FURTHER???) then come down to Tokyo for like 1-2 days before heading back.

The bigger issue is it's Spring Airlines, but I think I can deal w/ the 150 minute flight.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
For clothes the correct answer is to buy everything from uniqlo.

You will be in cities not some wilderness for months. Just pack like 2 weeks worth of clothes and treasures them every other night. If you ever need new stuff just buy.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

harperdc posted:

Daily highs are still hovering around 20C. Even through the week of Halloween that’s only going to drop to 18C or so. It’s quite pleasant, light jacket weather at most.

It has been quite warm this week, I have worn mostly shorts and t-shirt and a hoodie or light jacket in the evenings.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Aredna posted:

Also looking more likely than not the country will basically be shut down from April 27th to May 6th due to the Emperor abdicated on 4/30 and Golden Week going on.

gently caress, this is very nearly my entire trip

Should I be worried?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Should I be worried?

Have cash on hand just in case, but the old stories of "literally every ATM being shut down" aren't as true as before. and that more means normal 9-to-5 jobs will be off, retail and restaurants should still be open and running - it usually is during Golden Week.

There are always exceptions, so check online at the website for the restaurant/museum/attraction/etc. you're worried about, probably in early April, just to confirm.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spring Airlines to Ibaraki? They usually arrange a shuttle bus. Otoh goons love Ushiku so maybe chill there on day 1.

Digital nomads are common and fine. Deffo look into airbnb or hotel apartments. Deffo avoid August omg. It would be cool to stay in a cute smaller town like Kurashiki or Nagasaki.

Kabuki sucks, go watch sumo, baseball, or wrestling and some festivals.

Sumo:
January Tokyo
March Osaka
May Tokyo
July Nagoya
September Tokyo
November Fukuoka

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How far in advance do you have to book sumo tickets?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Weekdays, same day cheap seats is possible. Box seats may sell out, just get to a convenience store ticket machine asap after you arrive.

Detailed calendar:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnTicket/year_schedule

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Almost every country has some sort of period where you're allowed to work while visiting it if you're still working for your home country/business. If you work for a local company or a company with a local office it may be different.

Japan has it kick in when you hit around 180 days out of a rolling 365 day period. I think 183 is the exact number, but you should probably be able to find it via some searches.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Sounds more like he’s a freelancer than an official employee, which is a common setup with remote work, in which case I don’t think that would apply. IANAL and all, however.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
They also said they were going for less than three months.

My job literally sent me to work in an office in Japan for three months and nobody cared that I was just on a tourist visa.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Should I be worried?

You really shouldn't be worried. poo poo being shut down during golden week is stuff like government offices, schools, and banks that really doesn't effect tourists. What does effect tourists, though, is that everyone in Japan is on vacation so hotels are expensive as gently caress and bullet trains are crowded. If you've already booked accommodations you are cool.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ALFbrot posted:

They also said they were going for less than three months.

My job literally sent me to work in an office in Japan for three months and nobody cared that I was just on a tourist visa.

Yeah I worked in a children's home for a full tourist visa and nobody gave a single poo poo.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Freelance would probably be different. Though you may be able to argue that each contract is created based on your permanent residence location. Especially if you aren't contracting with Japanese people/companies.

It's probably worth a short consultation with a tax accountant and/or lawyer if you're not on a full time gig somewhere and just working remotely.

People work all the time while traveling and just because it's 90 days instead of 9 days won't change the laws.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

la migra! la migra!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than of Japanese immigration busting you for working online while on vacation. Do not waste any time thinking about it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than of Japanese immigration busting you for working online while on vacation. Do not waste any time thinking about it.

Unlike American or Ozzie immigration where they have a stick up their rear end

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I fully agree and think nobody will care and he should do it, just think it’s probably *technically* illegal. He should also know that in case he gets grilled by someone at immigration etc.

Speaking of which did we ever hear back from the dude that said his US passport wasn’t accepted? That was weird.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well poo poo, I'm going back there in december but today I accidentally spilled coffee on my passport. It's not too bad, the main page (made of hard plastic) is unaffected but the middle two visa pages have a stain running down the spine. According to the passport authority in my country that means it's still valid since everything is still legible and nothing is falling apart but we all know what Japanese bureaucrats are like. Anyone ever got poo poo from immigration trying to enter with a not-pristine passport?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Well poo poo, I'm going back there in december but today I accidentally spilled coffee on my passport. It's not too bad, the main page (made of hard plastic) is unaffected but the middle two visa pages have a stain running down the spine. According to the passport authority in my country that means it's still valid since everything is still legible and nothing is falling apart but we all know what Japanese bureaucrats are like. Anyone ever got poo poo from immigration trying to enter with a not-pristine passport?

I travelled in and out of japan with a washed passport and the only immigration authorities that cared were loving Fiji of all places.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

I washed my passport in Tokyo and was able to leave the country just fine, but had trouble re-entering china. they couldn't scan it and told me I couldn't enter china. I just insisted I was fine and I showed them my visa and after a few minutes they just let me in.

you should be fine

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do they use passport scanners in the airports in Tokyo? I only recall manual checks.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Do they use passport scanners in the airports in Tokyo? I only recall manual checks.

Yes, I've used them in Narita and I think I've seen them in Haneda too. You have to register ahead of time to use them, but the process doesn't take long. Foreigners still need to fill in the embarkation cards and those still get checked manually.
(Presuming you're talking about passport control)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

The immigration officers are putting them through scanners as well I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There is lots of scanning technology, that is operated by the passport check guys one step at a time.