Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There’s a free Schofield Revolver ins box on the table in the back room of the Doctor’s in Valentine, which made it more worthwhile than just getting the money, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I know some people poopoo'd about not having inventory space but I do appreciate your saddlebags having infinite space for your weapons.

Finding out just picking up new weapons didn't replace your old ones was refreshing. Also just being able to get your hat back from it always.

Thank you, time/space warping saddlebags.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ravenkult posted:

Good example. This is possibly one of the easiest things in the game and all you need to do is run after him and shout at him twice to make him stop. But you hosed it up so it's the game's fault.

That's quite a creative reading!

This was actually the first time I was chasing down a witness - usually I've not being doing a whole lot of open Crimes and on the one other time it happened I just shot the witness. I guess this mission is the tutorial for that mechanic? Anyway, I failed chasing the guy the first time because there was a message on the screen instructing me to hold L2 to threaten the witness, and I was trying to do that, but of course was too far away (but the tutorial was all like DO IT NOW!!!). After a couple seconds I twigged this and gave chase, and did in fact catch the guy pretty fast, but it turns out you only get exactly enough time to chase the guy down perfectly because otherwise, even if you catch him, he runs into the path of some Lawmen the game spawns and has ride towards him, who will see him and I guess telepathically intuit his accusations (I also, separately, find it very annoying how selective the game chooses to be regarding whether or not pointing a gun at someone constitutes a threat; I've had encounters cancelled due to trying to focus on someone to talk to and instead Arthur points a gun and tells them to get lost, but when chasing down a witness, he'll keep silent when you point a gun at them, and can't shout a threat unless they're within like ten feet.).

Anyway, that was one thing, which I messed up and retried, but are you telling me you don't find it even a little bit eyebrow-raise-worthy that when on the retry I then just said "gently caress it" and shot the guy, the game spawned a lawman right on the spot?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Zaa Boogie posted:

I know some people poopoo'd about not having inventory space but I do appreciate your saddlebags having infinite space for your weapons.

Finding out just picking up new weapons didn't replace your old ones was refreshing. Also just being able to get your hat back from it always.

How do I transfer poo poo other than weapons to my horse? Or is that even possible?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
it's loving bullshit that I get in trouble for blasting somebodies foot off if they knock my hat into the mud, even if they did it accidentally.

how is it a crime for defending my hat!?

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 27, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just played through the tutorials and did my first mission from the camp.
The attention to detail in this game is amazing. I ate a can of food in the snow, and then Arthur tossed that empty can on the ground. It was quite windy, so that can continued to roll downhill in the snow. Pretty cool.
And then later, I was hunting dear with some other guy. Had a clean kill with the bow on the first one, the second was wounded and I finished it with my knife. When we loaded the deer on our horses, one had a knife mark in it's belly while the other didn't. drat.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol the loving AUDACITY of this lady I helped telling me it’s taking too long to take her to Valentine

Either that or it’s meta commentary on the game through NPCs

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Living my Westworld fantasy.

Going to drag a random npc up a hill and scalp him to find The Maze.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

What button do you press to tell people to shut their goddamn mouths.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

What button do you press to tell people to shut their goddamn mouths.

LT + RT

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tercio posted:

How do I transfer poo poo other than weapons to my horse? Or is that even possible?

Came for this question. Was riding through a ranch over by Horseshoe and got off my horse to talk to the guy. rear end in a top hat drew on me so I had to kill him.

Got a new hat, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Deadule posted:

Yeah that part's kind of dumb because at any time in the open world you can totally stop a witness by lassoing them or shooting them, but the game railroads you into chasing him until you get the little "hanging on a cliff" scene.

It's weird because in some missions you can totally flex your creativity, like on one bounty hunt I could sneak up on the target and stealth lasso them to secure them instantly, but in another one you have no choice but to walk up to the target and confront them and trigger a scripted chase sequence. I think it's just the games way of tutorializing in the early missions and forcing you to engage with specific mechanics but the inconsistency makes it annoying.

GTA games all kind of had the same problem where in some missions you can like plant C4 in specific spots ahead of time and blow up a target and skip a 10 minute car chase while other ones make you play things out "as intended" and there's no telling which kind of mission it is until you try.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You can get the stew then sit with your buds and then eat the stew while sitting with your buds

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
This is the first game where looking at the landscape as I travel looks like something that was filmed in real life for several seconds at a time and it’s extremely impressive.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Zaa Boogie posted:

Wow wow wow, so replacing weapons just puts them in to your horses saddlebag? I haven't gone akimbo because I didn't want to lose my shotgun.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why didn't this game make the map easier to open? They've got this big map and I can't just automatically open it with a single button.

Why is the change camera button the biggest button on the controller? I honestly wish that changing cameras wasn't even a button. They could have used that button to autoopen the map.

There are just some really bizarre control choices made that just frustrate me.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think I broke my game.

I'm on the mission to collect money from 3 different people for the german dude and when I get to the one polish guy, I cant collect anything. It seems my raiding the place before I got the mission is causing the lot to not respawn.

Dammit.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Tercio posted:

Might depend on which poo poo you're talking about. Haven't messed with the clothing system that much but I think you can store at least two outfits on it? Besides that, items and weapons store automatically.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Wow wow wow, so replacing weapons just puts them in to your horses saddlebag? I haven't gone akimbo because I didn't want to lose my shotgun.

Yep, I picked up a double barreled shotgun that I had to replace my repeater with. When I checked my saddlebags oh hey there it is.

TMMadman posted:

Why didn't this game make the map easier to open? They've got this big map and I can't just automatically open it with a single button.

Why is the change camera button the biggest button on the controller? I honestly wish that changing cameras wasn't even a button. They could have used that button to autoopen the map.

Hold down the Start button. You're welcome! Also if you're deep in menus and don't want to keep hitting B/Circle to exit out of all of them? Just hold it down. That's defaulted to Exit.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 27, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TMMadman posted:

hold option button down to go straight into the map.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this game could have done with something that listed all the shortcut commands and stuff. like a small booklet that could be included in every copy with a bit of artwork too so you could pull it out at any time and read, a kind of manual, if you will.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got a nice Skyrim flashback when I found some sage and it gave me the option to either eat it or store it, and the game said "effects are unknown". Decided to eat it and threw up on everyone near the camp stew fire :haw:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Got a legendary animal skin and found the tracker. Couple questions:

If I dump a legendary skin at camp it fades to black and warps me to a more appropriate spot to dump it. Does it stay indefinitely? I carried the skin for maybe 2 hours, constantly worried about losing it due to tutorial nonsense etc.

Do you only get one use out of it? Two items from the tracker use the one legendary skin as an ingredient.. do I have to pick between them?

Also I slammed my horse face first into a tree when I wasn't looking, sending me and the legendary skin flying off. It was fuckin brutal and made me gasp IRL.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
after working for the German dick. i decided to make arthur a complete monster and holy poo poo is this game brutal. some of those executions and animations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

this game could have done with something that listed all the shortcut commands and stuff. like a small booklet that could be included in every copy with a bit of artwork too so you could pull it out at any time and read, a kind of manual, if you will.

Oh, you mean that thing that nobody ever looked at. They made nice origami, though.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've decided toonmy use pistols because I don't want to deal withhe saddlebags and using a revolver while everyone elsehas longarms makes me feel like a cowboy badass

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Deadule posted:

This was actually the first time I was chasing down a witness - usually I've not being doing a whole lot of open Crimes and on the one other time it happened I just shot the witness. I guess this mission is the tutorial for that mechanic? Anyway, I failed chasing the guy the first time because there was a message on the screen instructing me to hold L2 to threaten the witness, and I was trying to do that, but of course was too far away (but the tutorial was all like DO IT NOW!!!). After a couple seconds I twigged this and gave chase, and did in fact catch the guy pretty fast, but it turns out you only get exactly enough time to chase the guy down perfectly because otherwise, even if you catch him, he runs into the path of some Lawmen the game spawns and has ride towards him, who will see him and I guess telepathically intuit his accusations (I also, separately, find it very annoying how selective the game chooses to be regarding whether or not pointing a gun at someone constitutes a threat; I've had encounters cancelled due to trying to focus on someone to talk to and instead Arthur points a gun and tells them to get lost, but when chasing down a witness, he'll keep silent when you point a gun at them, and can't shout a threat unless they're within like ten feet.).

Anyway, that was one thing, which I messed up and retried, but are you telling me you don't find it even a little bit eyebrow-raise-worthy that when on the retry I then just said "gently caress it" and shot the guy, the game spawned a lawman right on the spot?

I had that mission but the guy died from the beating (and no, I wasn't pounding him on the ground, just from one punch to the next bam, he's dead).

Witness spawns, I chased him, called out once, nothing; eventually I said gently caress it and shot him, but no lawman spawned for me. So I dunno, I think the death of the previous guy was scripted, the witness is scripted, but the lawman was just bad luck.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 27, 2018

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

I meant like on missions when you're going somewhere, nobody ever shuts up and if you try to get away from them they yell even more.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like that can find random creepy poo poo around. Found a torso strung up under train a bridge with no context. Just, yeah. Wonder what happened there.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

swordfish duelist posted:

I think I broke my game.

I'm on the mission to collect money from 3 different people for the german dude and when I get to the one polish guy, I cant collect anything. It seems my raiding the place before I got the mission is causing the lot to not respawn.

Dammit.

Restarting the whole game fixed this if anyone else encounters it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

I like that can find random creepy poo poo around. Found a torso strung up under train a bridge with no context. Just, yeah. Wonder what happened there.

Later on there's a serial killer side quest. I found that particular body as well, and dropped a marker on it because I knew I'd be coming back to it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Where do I find/get the collectors edition stuff and mission?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So after a day with the game

- holy poo poo the simulation aspects, hunting and pissing around are the best ever and are goty on their own.
- the writing is shockingly good for Rockstar and seems throwing back to San Andreas and Bully when they knew how to write likeable characters, but even more so. Rockstar pulling back on the "15 year old hears about Nietzsche" nihilism finally. I like most of the cast, most of the quest npcs are likeable, sympathetic or at least amusing. Hell most of the random world npcs aren't misanthropic caricatures. It's a loving miracle.
- the controls/movement suuuuuuccckkks. This poo poo is real bad coming off the latest Butt Religion.
- the bits where missions force you into specific actions and tear away from the immersive sim aspects are jarring garbage and are like someone just inserted outdated early 2000s design into my otherwise fantastic game. Oh wait that's exactly what it is, stop using the same mission design constraints you have since GTA3 for fucks sake.

9/10 cause cowboy immserive sim with enjoyable writing and as someone who will put up with Eurojank dealing with Rockstar's bullshit gameplay isn't too big an ask when I don't have to deal with their worst writing habits too.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

uncle has rapidly become my favorite camp member and i didn't expect that

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tercio posted:

uncle has rapidly become my favorite camp member and i didn't expect that

There's a reason Marston put up with his poo poo to live with him.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I am surprised just how much I like this camp of rogues and I actually enjoy most of them!

Now to see how Dutch fucks all this up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Later on there's a serial killer side quest. I found that particular body as well, and dropped a marker on it because I knew I'd be coming back to it.

Follow the blood trail to the struts of the bridge, there's a map fragment. The killer also left a message on the rocks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i keep trying to be bad but it turns out i am extremely bad at committing crimes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Sometimes Food posted:

So after a day with the game

- holy poo poo the simulation aspects, hunting and pissing around are the best ever and are goty on their own.
- the writing is shockingly good for Rockstar and seems throwing back to San Andreas and Bully when they knew how to write likeable characters, but even more so. Rockstar pulling back on the "15 year old hears about Nietzsche" nihilism finally. I like most of the cast, most of the quest npcs are likeable, sympathetic or at least amusing. Hell most of the random world npcs aren't misanthropic caricatures. It's a loving miracle.
- the controls/movement suuuuuuccckkks. This poo poo is real bad coming off the latest Butt Religion.
- the bits where missions force you into specific actions and tear away from the immersive sim aspects are jarring garbage and are like someone just inserted outdated early 2000s design into my otherwise fantastic game. Oh wait that's exactly what it is, stop using the same mission design constraints you have since GTA3 for fucks sake.

9/10 cause cowboy immserive sim with enjoyable writing and as someone who will put up with Eurojank dealing with Rockstar's bullshit gameplay isn't too big an ask when I don't have to deal with their worst writing habits too.

yeah, the writing is a ton better then their previous works. i have seen some cynicism but its a ton better thought out. arthur and such are more realistic monsters, its nice.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I don't really care about the animations taking a while, I'm cool with that and think it adds to the experience.

The movement and aiming can gently caress right off though, what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

orange sky posted:

I don't really care about the animations taking a while, I'm cool with that and think it adds to the experience.

The movement and aiming can gently caress right off though, what the hell

Someone posted some tweak guides earlier in the thread and I’d recommend checking them out. Turning off the aim lock on foot (switching to free aim), adjusting some sensitivity, and toggle run really eased things up for me.

There is an impressive amount of options for a console game, would recommend that people jump into the menus and experiment with settings. I think RS gives more leeway with controls than the default setup indicates. You can turn on tap assist too, which makes some of the contextual actions way less annoying.