Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh please, they deal with those every other movie.

The old 60s and 70s episodes of Scooby Doo were always some human in a monster costume but starting from the 1985 The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo series they started featuring actual monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The old 60s and 70s episodes of Scooby Doo were always some human in a monster costume but starting from the 1985 The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo series they started featuring actual monsters.

They had a lot of curveballs, like the monsters actually being friendly while the humans are legitimately dangerous. (see Scooby-doo and the Alien Invaders) Or that the gang's detective work does find a deception but actual monsters are behind it.

And in cases of things like the WWE monster truck race, way crazier poo poo is going on that no one considers remarkable, also Shaggy and Scooby team up with the Undertaker.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A neat thing I just realised in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend about the season 3 song Diagnosis, is that it makes a joke about auditory hallucinations, but in a balanced and informed way, by having them come back later in the song:

"I don't hear voices but maybe it's time to start!
You're super cool Rebecca! (thanks!)"

"Time to blow this joint and by joint I mean
my internal sense of confusion!"
You said that confusingly (shut up!)"

People who hear voices often report that it's not always bad things that the voices say, they often say good or nice things as well so you never know what they'll be like that day or hour. Similarly Rebecca's voices make a positive comment about her, and then criticize her later which causes her discomfort.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Don Gato posted:

Can you blame him? He was finally given the chance to get off the only planet with Ohio on it, you'd need to have superhuman levels of willpower to resist that chance, even for the sake of the universe

Every inhabited planet has an Ohio on it. It may be called Zurge or Tyono-Pyons, but believe me every planet has a place where the denizens are predisposed to want to escape.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Seeing a few crazy ex girlfriend posts here. Is that show good? I assumed it was more... New Girl than You're the Worst. Where does it fall on the New Girl (trash) > B in 23 (guilty pleasure) > You're the Worst (best show) scale that I just made up?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Your scale must be broken because New Girl definitely isn't trash

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Gejimayu posted:

Seeing a few crazy ex girlfriend posts here. Is that show good? I assumed it was more... New Girl than You're the Worst. Where does it fall on the New Girl (trash) > B in 23 (guilty pleasure) > You're the Worst (best show) scale that I just made up?

No.

But it's an interesting and unique flavour of crap.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gejimayu posted:

New Girl isn't trash and Crazy Ex is very, very good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

New Girl is very mediocre except like one season in the middle which is abject trash and then the last season or so which ascended to 'pretty good'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
(Crazy Ex Girlfriend) Regardless of how you feel about the presentation of the story it's obvious they did their research when presenting Rebecca's mental state - there are viewers (spoilers for season 3) who have the same thing she is diagnosed with, who noticed what he had 2 seasons before it was officially diagnosed in universe. It's a very well done story on the mental health front, showing a variety of realistic reactions from frustration (Dr Akopian) and fear (Josh Chan for a short time in the middle when she is collapsing into a black hole of rage) to acceptance and helping her through her recovery any way they can (her friends) and even enabling her due to his own issues (Nathaniel)

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is very unique and interesting, although there are a few things in episode 1 that I'd forgotten about that are a bit awkward, like Darryl being excited because the have a Jewish lawyer in the office now Rebecca works there. He drops that poo poo like a rock after the first episode though.

Here is an example of a song that exemplifies this from Season 4, where Rebecca is struggling with Agoraphobia due to things that are happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEM-qhf55w

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Oct 27, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I will say that I was surprised at the difference in tone between Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's musical numbers (which I see on YouTube all the time) and the actual show when I sat down to watch it. It's not bad, but outside of the musical numbers it is really awkward and kinda painful, but not in a bad way. Rebecca Bunch is a goddamn trainwreck of a person.

BioEnchanted posted:

Here is an example of a song that exemplifies this from Season 4, where Rebecca is struggling with Agoraphobia due to things that are happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEM-qhf55w

The musical numbers can be really good at calling back to older stuff, though, in ways that aren't always obvious. This one's filled with musical cues from the season 1 theme song!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Phy posted:

One of those astronauts: Neil Armstrong, the first Ohioan to ever set foot on a celestial body with no goddamn Ohio on it.

Okay but get this: during their swing behind the Moon during the Apollo 13 emergency, Jim Lovell and his crew reached a Geocentric altitude of 400,171km at 7:21 pm EST, April 14, 1970. At this point, he became the farthest any human being had ever been from Ohio before or since.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

Okay but get this: during their swing behind the Moon during the Apollo 13 emergency, Jim Lovell and his crew reached a Geocentric altitude of 400,171km at 7:21 pm EST, April 14, 1970. At this point, he became the farthest any human being had ever been from Ohio before or since.

However, he was still in the vehicle with Fred Haise, who flew fighters out of Mansfield Lahm Air National Guard Base in Ohio, and was stationed there previously. Michael Collins of Apollo 11 had the highest average altitude orbiting the moon in the CSM (with a 119 minute orbital period, versus 117-118 of the others) for any landed Apollo mission, qualifying him as not just the loneliest human to have ever lived, but also the one that could get the furthest away from any Ohioans.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Update: I'm on episode 8 and loving crazy ex girlfriend. New Girl still sucks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

However, he was still in the vehicle with Fred Haise, who flew fighters out of Mansfield Lahm Air National Guard Base in Ohio, and was stationed there previously. Michael Collins of Apollo 11 had the highest average altitude orbiting the moon in the CSM (with a 119 minute orbital period, versus 117-118 of the others) for any landed Apollo mission, qualifying him as not just the loneliest human to have ever lived, but also the one that could get the furthest away from any Ohioans.

So it’s not Ohio they’re trying to get away from as much as it is Ohioans.

Which is sad because an Ohioan can never truly rid themselves of that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tried watching Crazy ex Girlfriend because of this thread and I just want to say holy gently caress this is awful. We can’t be watching the same show.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Queen Combat posted:

Of course, Jim Lovell himself was from Cleveland.

So you could look at it as, Jim was so desperate to get away from Ohio that not only was he one of the first people on the opposite side of the moon from Ohio, but he also contrived to be one of the farthest persons away from Ohio, period.

Or you could look at it as, pity poor Jack Swigert. One of three people to make it as far away from Ohio as any human being has ever managed, and he's still trapped in a freezing cold tin can... with two friggin Ohioans.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

So it’s not Ohio they’re trying to get away from as much as it is Ohioans.

Which is sad because an Ohioan can never truly rid themselves of that.

No, it's both. Ohio is a cursed (curr-sedd) place which drowns all joy. Some of the food is good, but only because it's killing you.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Before all them astronauts there were two brothers from Dayton, Ohio who hated Ohio so much they invented the airplane just to leave.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

All I’m seeing is strong evidence that, if we want to achieve light speed travel, we have to force a majority of the population into Ohio and then tell them that’s the only way out.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm from Ohio and I liked it there. :(

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

it's really not as bad as everyone thinks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elfgames posted:

it's really not as bad as everyone thinks

Depends where you are really. I'm in the Canton area and it's still a shithole but at least it's not the backwards rear end middle of nowhere I grew up.

I was 20 minutes from the nearest fast food and no pizza places delivered. Do you know how far from everything you have to live to not get delivery?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Len posted:

Depends where you are really. I'm in the Canton area and it's still a shithole but at least it's not the backwards rear end middle of nowhere I grew up.

I was 20 minutes from the nearest fast food and no pizza places delivered. Do you know how far from everything you have to live to not get delivery?

31 minutes away?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was in Ohio for two hours to drop off a relative when the entire Eastern Seaboard lost power. Racial slurs said like nothing and crucifixes on every single surface is what I remember. And the pizza sucked and they gave me poo poo about not eating the pizza and dropped more racial slurs. Ohio scares me.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

Ohio: Even If You Like It You Need to Leave

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Greatbacon posted:

Ohio: Even If You Like It You Need to Leave

Ohio: The only way to win is not to live there

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

More like Oh, bye!-Oh!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
But all the little chicks with the crimson lips told me Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But all the little chicks with the crimson lips told me Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

What, did you also believe all the little kids growing up on the skids?

I bet you think it’s a Five O’Clock World, too.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Krinkle posted:

I was in Ohio for two hours to drop off a relative when the entire Eastern Seaboard lost power. Racial slurs said like nothing and crucifixes on every single surface is what I remember. And the pizza sucked and they gave me poo poo about not eating the pizza and dropped more racial slurs. Ohio scares me.

To be fair, Ohio is not kind to visiting Blaculas, especially when they put too much garloc butter on the pizza crusts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm not sure if it's just me but season 4 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend seems a lot different than seasons 1-3. The scenes seem quieter, the colours seem less bright, and overall it feels more real, probably because it's Rebecca finally seeing her world for what it is, and herself for what she is. Also it's more natural and less structured than the other seasons because Rebecca doesn't know what she wants anymore and is just figuring that out. Season 4 is like Life as described in the Season 3 song The End of the Movie - It's a gradual series of revelations that occur over a period of time.

Also her interactions with Josh and Nathaniel are just normal conversations now, no longer huge bursts of emotion, just friendly. If anything Nathaniel is now the more unstable one due to taking the breakup really personally despite Rebecca making it clear that there is a very good reason, and that it's her, not him.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Nov 1, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not sure if it's just me but season 4 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend seems a lot different than seasons 1-3. The scenes seem quieter, the colours seem less bright, and overall it feels more real, probably because it's Rebecca finally seeing her world for what it is, and herself for what she is. Also it's more natural and less structured than the other seasons because Rebecca doesn't know what she wants anymore and is just figuring that out. Season 4 is like Life as described in the Season 3 song The End of the Movie - It's a gradual series of revelations that occur over a period of time.

Also her interactions with Josh and Nathaniel are just normal conversations now, no longer huge bursts of emotion, just friendly. If anything Nathaniel is now the more unstable one due to taking the breakup really personally despite Rebecca making it clear that there is a very good reason, and that it's her, not him.

It's not just you. More songs where she's not the main focus, too. I mean, they've always had those, but the concentration is higher.
Even some of the songs she's in are not about her.
Our little BPD is getting well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On this week's episode of Legends of Tomorrow Sara and Ava were watching a horror movie together (Swamp Thaaaang) when Sara mentions she's never heard of the series before. While looking up info on her phone Ava says that the movie got a D+ from The AV Club and that "The production design is as lazy as the action staging." Which turns out to be a quote from an AV Club review of a season one episode of the show (that episode also got a D+ grade.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not subtle so much as I don't get why they did this and didn't really think about it until now, but... the credits in Predator were shot like they were an 80's sitcom

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phy posted:

Not subtle so much as I don't get why they did this and didn't really think about it until now, but... the credits in Predator were shot like they were an 80's sitcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9YsrGHmwIg

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phy posted:

I love that the cast all filmed a unique shot for the credits except Arnold.

They really should've had Kevin Peter Hall do one in full costume.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Phy posted:

McTiernan said in the commentary track that he wanted to make a film that was shot like a fascist propaganda (film is after all about bunch of übermencsh using violence to solve all their problems). So in the end he wanted a shot of all the dead warriors looking from the heavens to last survivor and smiling approvingly. That didn't pan out so he made the credits where the dead warriors are presented us for the last time.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fish of hemp posted:

McTiernan said in the commentary track that he wanted to make a film that was shot like a fascist propaganda (film is after all about bunch of übermencsh using violence to solve all their problems). So in the end he wanted a shot of all the dead warriors looking from the heavens to last survivor and smiling approvingly. That didn't pan out so he made the credits where the dead warriors are presented us for the last time.

So, he wanted the movie to end like Return of the Jedi and Happy Gilmore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Hockles posted:

So, he wanted the movie to end like Return of the Jedi and Happy Gilmore?

Happy Gilmore is literally the true ending to the Predator. Carl was casted in Happy Gilmore because McTiernan reached out to them after reading the script.