Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Snake is robbing the quickymart and Apu gets the gun away. Snake runs and Apu shoots him in the back, then double taps to be sure.

Apu flees back to India to beat the murder rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Riptor posted:

They were comparing Pat Sajak to James Woods in terms of Twitter presences. It came up naturally and not at all like you're describing

Lmao, that's not natural at all, what the hell is the connection apart from two old white guys on Twitter? It's not obsessively getting riled up about sjws or whatever because I'm not really in the mood to hear about James Woods being a racist when i tuned in for the Frasier sideshow Bob episode.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Simpsons writes off prominent POC character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Drink-Mix Man posted:

But as the Simpsons likes to remind us so very much, Apu is Hindu and therefore would be reincarnated.
I doubt they'd do Apu ded, that would suck. But an episode devoted to Homer finding the reincarnated Apu and trying to get him to work the Mart wouldn't be a bad waste of time.

He deserves to be made a corporate stooge, pulling down fat wads of cash overseeing the regional Shelbyville expansion and whatnot. Give him a nice successful write-off to cap the myth of the successful man who climbs the corporate ladder after starting off in a base position.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

khwarezm posted:

Lmao, that's not natural at all, what the hell is the connection apart from two old white guys on Twitter? It's not obsessively getting riled up about sjws or whatever because I'm not really in the mood to hear about James Woods being a racist when i tuned in for the Frasier sideshow Bob episode.

take a breath

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Simpsons and Family Guy switch Apu and H. Jon Benjamin's cashier characters in trade.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so many potential ways to be done with Apu:

-lawyer guy says he would like to call a surprise witness , Apu . Crowd gasps and the judge pounds his gavel saying “order , order ! Nobody shall mention Apu again under penalty of torture .”

- marge says “shame about the kwik e mart , but It took 15 federal Marshall’s to bring Apu down . Now let’s never speak of him again “

-Homer asking his family where he used to buy his bad meat from . “Uhh what’s it called , fasty place ....speedy....thing , ah well must not be important “

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It seems like if you're looking at a potential solution for the character that to one extreme might involve voice actor change, characterization change, job change, lifestyle change and design change, just making a whole new character from scratch and putting Apu away forever seems like the only outcome that has the least negative result.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Apu got punched in the throat and has a new voice now

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
And he hit his head when he landed on the ground.

He's now a hardcore conservative who pals around with Neddy and sells his stake in the Kwik-E-Mart to buy The Android's Dungeon where he bans all the SJW comics.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Fingerless Gloves posted:

My favourite gag which has been stuck in my head lately is the 'Aaronson and Zykowski are the two biggest gossips in town', it's such a good straight up joke.

they played that gag great with the fade transition to Patty/Selma in a different posture and now holding a lit cigarette, tricking you into thinking far more time had passed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JediTalentAgent posted:

And he hit his head when he landed on the ground.

He's now a hardcore conservative who pals around with Neddy and sells his stake in the Kwik-E-Mart to buy The Android's Dungeon where he bans all the SJW comics.

He takes a relaxed attitude towards work and watches the baseball match. The Nye Mets are his favorite squadron.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'll be honest here, I'm Peruvian and I thought this remove Apu stuff was something made from terrible alt-right guys who love to trash talk the left and create fake news about em. It turns out it's real and Apu is getting removed from the Simpsons wtf?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I hope Apu gets revealed to be an imposter and then the REAL Apu moves in to take his life back.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It seems to me that the problem wasn't necessarily Apu, the problem was the fact that Apu was the ONLY Indian portrayed on American TV for decades, hence he became the go-to stereotype to make fun of American-Indian kids. If there had been a healthier abundance of Indian characters and shows on TV, maybe Apu wouldn't be so problematic

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Riptor posted:

take a breath

Im not mad ur mad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always appreciated the way Carl was black but they almost never talk about it, as though race doesn’t matter to most citizens, but then you have Apu and it’s like, why couldn’t Apu just have been Indian with an accent but NOT an arranged-marriage-curry-chugging stereotype? When it was so easy to not make Carl really into rapping and watermelon and just give him normal lines and jokes.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

I always appreciated the way Carl was black but they almost never talk about it, as though race doesn’t matter to most citizens, but then you have Apu and it’s like, why couldn’t Apu just have been Indian with an accent but NOT an arranged-marriage-curry-chugging stereotype? When it was so easy to not make Carl really into rapping and watermelon and just give him normal lines and jokes.

Carl?

Oh that Carl

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean yes, that’s exactly the kind of harmless joke that works well in the show, illustrating the point nicely.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean the shape of the doorways in Apu's apartment just come on how is that even a joke.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Apu has a sex change, becomes a chud.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

turboraton posted:

I'll be honest here, I'm Peruvian and I thought this remove Apu stuff was something made from terrible alt-right guys who love to trash talk the left and create fake news about em. It turns out it's real and Apu is getting removed from the Simpsons wtf?

Imagine if the only Peruvian character on TV rode a llama everywhere, ate guinea pigs and lived in a house shaped like Machu Picchu

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Due to an alleged typo on a DMV form, Apu is stripped of his citizenship and deported

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Imagine if the only Peruvian character on TV rode a llama everywhere, ate guinea pigs and lived in a house shaped like Machu Picchu

Nobody outside Peru has enough concept of Peru to associate that to any particular bunch of people.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sure we do, Incas with funny little hats, there you go

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Peruvians have my respect for making the nation of Ireland possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, which means it would be the worst possible representation of Peruvians and their culture imaginable if it was the only one they had ever seen.

To put it another way:

When ignorant people watched the Simpsons in the early 90’s, Apu was basically the first Indian person ever on TV besides... uh Hadji? from Johnny Quest, so “Thank You, Come Again!” became synonymous with Indian people.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

this drat show’s been on so long there have basically been four or five incarnations of Apu’s character.

first he was a surly convenience store clerk, no real defining characteristics besides being Indian (which at least wasn’t in the script)

then in the golden age, the new writers took that bare character framework and actually used it for satire!! they made their token background character Springfield’s most enthusiastic capitalist — a price-hiking poonhound who fully embraces American opportunity, even when it means getting shot so many times you nearly miss work.

then the late ‘90s came around, and another batch of new writers seemed to realize this was a bad look. so now Apu is a downtrodden computer scientist, the immigrant Springfield tries to deport. the details of this third incarnation are what chuds point to as the things that make Apu A-OK, despite the fact they sure felt like the writers compensating to make Apu more PC-acceptable??

then The Simpsons, the TV show, died, and Apu became a vehicle for octuplet jokes

and now he’s disappeared, except as something we can all yell about on the internet, and for Al Jean and old man Groening to get pissy about in interviews

it’s too late. Apu can’t be fixed. The Simpsons can’t be fixed. the show should be cancelled while 25% of its run can still be considered good

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 28, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While I am white so I have no experience with racial stereotyping, I know that I sure as hell hate the fact that the main representation of people on the spectrum is Sheldon from Big Bang Theory and I can imagine that it's infinitely worse if it's something people can identify just by looking at you.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I remember various kids in school shouting Apu catchphrases towards anyone they thought was Indian. It was really lovely.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LoL if you think we can’t tell by looking at you.

The best Apu joke is when Dr. Hibbert explains he only survived getting shot because the bullet ricocheted off of a different bullet lodged in his chest from a previous robbery.

Or the military base episode where Bart misses the last target with a grenade launcher and then we see Apu installing all his brand new gas pumps and then it cuts back to Bart and Skinner talking at the base and a smoldering ‘K’ slams into the background.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Excuse me.

"I call it Billy and the Cloneasaurus!"

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Just LoL if you think we can’t tell by looking at you.

The best Apu joke is when Dr. Hibbert explains he only survived getting shot because the bullet ricocheted off of a different bullet lodged in his chest from a previous robbery.

Or the military base episode where Bart misses the last target with a grenade launcher and then we see Apu installing all his brand new gas pumps and then it cuts back to Bart and Skinner talking at the base and a smoldering ‘K’ slams into the background.

Wrong, that was from Bart riding his bike onto the firing range and the artillery men jerking their cannons off-target to avoid shelling him.

What you're referring to was bart missing the target but hitting Skinner's car in the parking lot while Nelson "hahas" him

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Also shut the gently caress up about Apu already, its been 5 pages of this poo poo.

Boo loving hoo, Apu is "problematic." Only a loving idiot would think he represented all Indian people.

SMD.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Bust Rodd posted:

You've conflated two different, but EXCELLENT gags:

In season 8's 'The Secret War of Lisa Simpson' Bart is sent to a military academy due to bad behavior (chaining together a dozen police megaphones). The arms instructor assumes he's "already proficient with small arms" because he "attended public school" so he starts Bart out with the grenade launcher. The instructor notes he hit 4 out of 5 targets but "missed" the last. Bart responds "Did I?" and we smash cut to:

In season 5's 'Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song' Skinner returns to the military after being fired from the school (a greased-up Groundskeeper Willy falls onto Superintendent Chalmers from an air duct). He's training some recruits to use mortars when Bart approaches thru the target range, so he yells "CHANGE YOUR TRAJECTORY!" Cut to Apu and Sanjay admiring their new gas pumps which allow them to "compete with the 'Gas-n-Gulp.'" We then hear the incoming mortar shell and cut back to the military base where after a couple beats we see the Kwik-E-Mart 'K' crash down, smoldering:

Edit: gently caress WAAAYYY beaten. My obsessive thoroughness will be the end of me. Honestly tho, this took me so long because I kept laughing just remembering these scenes; drat this show really was friggin' brilliant...

AbsurdHeroine fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 28, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The smoking K is definitely one of the best kwik-e-mart gags, it makes me crack up every time. Also what's up with the name of that episode? I never understood it.

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

CodfishCartographer posted:

The smoking K is definitely one of the best kwik-e-mart gags, it makes me crack up every time. Also what's up with the name of that episode? I never understood it.

It's a reference to a 70's pre-blaxploitation indie movie by Melvin Van Peebles called 'Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song.'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Killswitch posted:

Also shut the gently caress up about Apu already, its been 5 pages of this poo poo.

Boo loving hoo, Apu is "problematic." Only a loving idiot would think he represented all Indian people.

SMD.

Sucking Mad Dick

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The smoldering K joke would never be done now because it is subtle and treats the audience with some respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It'd have Apu go "oh, what's that up in the--OH SWEET GANESH" and then cut back to Bart and Skinner. We'd hear a boom and the screen would rumble, then the K would land. Bart would go "boy I sure hope nobody was hurt in that." and Skinner would go "I'm sure it wasn't anybody important." then we'd never see Apu again.