Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read loads of Horrible Histories when I was little. They got a lot of mileage out of toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reminds me of the old fencing school in I think Poland where archaeology on the latrines found an Early Modern dildo. Apparently some dude was rawing himself so hard between lessons that he accidentally dropped it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FiftyFour posted:

The flipside, from the Hanoi Women's museum. "Nixon owes us a debt of blood"

its depressing that american presidents never were or will be put on trial for their crimes.

and that kissinger will also die before we can put him in a guillotine

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Seadraugar hate land draugar so if you're walking on the beach and a walking corpse emerges from the waves just run through a cemetery or by a barrow and the inhabitants will rise up to fight the drowned dead.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Edit: Nah, unfunny joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The guillotine has never seemed like a terribly practical way of liquidating a large number of people to me. I assume it's still a point of reference today for symbolic reasons. In any event, I assume that if there was a revolution tomorrow, more expeditious and efficient methods would probably be applied.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

#blessed

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone made a 3d printer blueprint for a guillotine? That seems like it would be a thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

System Metternich posted:

This wallet was also found down there. Maybe a merchant had to drop trou so quickly in order to avoid a catastrophe that his wallet got loose and fell down?

This guy assuredly told people to “suck my hairy balls” when he outbid them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario, which was built in the early 19th century, a german PoW escape attempt during one of the world wars (forgot which) almost succeeded by traversing the 19th-century-era latrines that empty into Lake Ontario.

Also in WW1 a dude almost escaped by hiding in a grand piano.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Wheat Loaf posted:

The guillotine has never seemed like a terribly practical way of liquidating a large number of people to me. I assume it's still a point of reference today for symbolic reasons. In any event, I assume that if there was a revolution tomorrow, more expeditious and efficient methods would probably be applied.

The whole point of a guillotine is it's something you use to execute your fellow revolutionaries for being too revolutionary or not quite revolutionary enough, before they get you first.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

norton I posted:

The whole point of a guillotine is it's something you use to execute your fellow revolutionaries for being too revolutionary or not quite revolutionary enough, before they get you first.

I mean not really?

It was just a more efficient killing machine than the alternatives

Plus you could make it an event

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This day and age imo bring back the blunted axes

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean not really?

It was just a more efficient killing machine than the alternatives

Plus you could make it an event

It was supposed to be more merciful and modern than having some guy hack at the victim's neck until the head came off. In Europe at least, you could get people to show up for an execution with any method, if anything they thought the guillotine was too quick to be worth watching. George Carlin has a whole long podcast about this.

Condemning people to the guillotine is just the goon equivalent of hanging from lamppost / first against the wall. Because of that one meme.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

pidan posted:

It was supposed to be more merciful and modern than having some guy hack at the victim's neck until the head came off. In Europe at least, you could get people to show up for an execution with any method, if anything they thought the guillotine was too quick to be worth watching. George Carlin has a whole long podcast about this.

Condemning people to the guillotine is just the goon equivalent of hanging from lamppost / first against the wall. Because of that one meme.

I think you're thinking of the hellban.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

pidan posted:

George Carlin has a whole long podcast about this.

I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this, because I'm wondering whether podcast technology advanced way beyond what I thought was possible.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pidan posted:

Guillotining enemies (read: billionaires) is an excellent way to get rid of them, it's got spectacle and it's reasonably humane.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pidan posted:

But then you would have to listen to Carlin and I can’t recommend that

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Trabant posted:

I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this, because I'm wondering whether podcast technology advanced way beyond what I thought was possible.

I think he means this standup bit

CharlestheHammer posted:

But then you would have to listen to Carlin and I can’t recommend that

:frogout:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My mistake, it's actually Dan Carlin

I just looked him up and he's much younger than I thought. I pictured him as 60+ when I first heard his show ten years ago, but he's actually born in 1965. Weird.

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.

Looks like a bad time for the person on the far right, having the blade stop halfway through. Otherwise, nice concept. The heads dropping off in sequence would add some whimsy to the occasion.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a meme for people who'd probably either faint or piss themselves at the thought of actually inflicting violence on another person. A pithy "how do you do fellow revolutionaries" for Twitter leftists, the "nothing matters why didn't you write in bernie lol" crowd, accelerationist/collaborationist morons and so on.

norton I posted:

To elaborate: Something like 85-90% of the people killed during the Terror were of the Third Estate, eg, peasants and workers. A good portion of the nobility left France entirely beforehand, and those who stayed were the "liberal nobles" who'd started the whole revolution in the first place, and when the Law of Suspects came around most of them were just placed under house arrest or were eventually released: of the 500,000-some persons accused under the law fewer than 20,000 were executed.

1914-1918 on the other hand allegedly wiped out about a third of France's noble families.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Silmarildur posted:

a bad time for ... the far right

That's rather the idea, yes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's a meme for people who'd probably either faint or piss themselves at the thought of actually inflicting violence on another person. A pithy "how do you do fellow revolutionaries" for Twitter leftists, the "nothing matters why didn't you write in bernie lol" crowd, accelerationist/collaborationist morons and so on.

To elaborate: Something like 85-90% of the people killed during the Terror were of the Third Estate, eg, peasants and workers. A good portion of the nobility left France entirely beforehand, and those who stayed were the "liberal nobles" who'd started the whole revolution in the first place, and when the Law of Suspects came around most of them were just placed under house arrest or were eventually released: of the 500,000-some persons accused under the law fewer than 20,000 were executed.

1914-1918 on the other hand allegedly wiped out about a third of France's noble families.

You have certainly owned all the 18th-century revolutionaries posting here, as well as the modern people who genuinely believe that mass guillotine executions are imminent.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Vasily Blokhin :commissar:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You have certainly owned all the 18th-century revolutionaries posting here, as well as the modern people who genuinely believe that mass guillotine executions are imminent.

they aren't, but they ought to be :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The guillotine was named for Joseph-Ignace Guillotin who apparently meant it as a sort of thought experiment, because at the time commoners in France were killed by hanging while the nobility got their heads whacked off. Given the quality of the hanging involved this probably seemed like the loving nobles got the better end of the deal even when they were executed.

Guillotin actually hoped that some kind of universal, consistent system of execution would be a first step towards ending the practice entirely, as well as equalizing the treatment of social classes. He hated that it was named after him and requested that the French government rename the device (which, obviously, they did not).

Later in life, Guillotin was an early adopter of Jenner's theories of vaccination and died of a carbuncle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Before Joseph-Ignace Guillotin it was actually called the Halifax Gibbet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alhazred posted:

Before Joseph-Ignace Guillotin it was actually called the Halifax Gibbet.
Not quite! The Halifax Gibbet was definitely an inspiration but was much clumsier and used an actual axe blade as opposed to the asymmetrical "razor blade" style we associate with the guillotine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It just seems to me that something like a gas chamber or a large furnace or something would let you reduce larger numbers of your enemies in one go; with a guillotine, you need to do it one at a time. :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Uhhhh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know the "guillotine" smilie on SA is named "thermidor" which I understand was when the conservative factions in the French revolution turned against the radical factions and destroyed them, so I assume the name is a bit of an ironic joke.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know the "guillotine" smilie on SA is named "thermidor" which I understand was when the conservative factions in the French revolution turned against the radical factions and destroyed them, so I assume the name is a bit of an ironic joke.

No, it’s related to a terrible JRPG some dude tried to plug in Games that was named “Thermidor” although it took place in another month before the revolutionary regime even changed the names.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

It just seems to me that something like a gas chamber or a large furnace or something would let you reduce larger numbers of your enemies in one go; with a guillotine, you need to do it one at a time. :shrug:

I'm really good at saying "he's just a quiet, harmless fellow" with a straight face so please don't liquidate or reduce me :(

P.S my brother works with Goodwill and can help you dispose of all those tiny shoes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

No, it’s related to a terrible JRPG some dude tried to plug in Games that was named “Thermidor” although it took place in another month before the revolutionary regime even changed the names.

Which didn't involve guillotines.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Christ, that was a shitshow.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

Lol someone is insanely mad, some leftist on twitter make fun of you or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

You'll probably not be first but definitely up against the wall in that first week