Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Appreciate it!

Arist posted:

Abyssal Drain more.

Yeah I had a feeling I should press that button more. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Is there a guide for how to not be awful at Dark Knight at 70? Having a tough time here. :v:

In big pulls, you're a perpetual motion machine using mana to shield yourself with TBN, which when popped fuels Quietus, which returns mana to fuel more TBNs as well as DA-Abyssal Drains, while your Blood buff increments blood and mana and Salted Earth increments blood.

Bosses are pretty easy, use Grit(optional)-DA-Power Slash to cement a lead, drop grit whenever you're comfortable, rotate defensives, learn the name of the tankbuster and have TBN ready to eat it, spam Souleater combos, always DA C&S and don't clip GCD trying to DA after it, for blood prioritize Delirium if in Blood Weapon, Bloodspiller otherwise. I think that's pretty much everything, a guide will have more specific openers/rotations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFXI was a terrible game, and I'm glad that MMOs have moved on since. Do not @ me just because you have FFXI syndrome.

I'm hoping that WOW Legacy creates a shitload of drama.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Phone posted:

I'm hoping that WOW Legacy creates a shitload of drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6JgKQFeBxs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFXI was a terrible game, and I'm glad that MMOs have moved on since. Do not @ me just because you have FFXI syndrome.

I miss some things about 11 but I never wanna see that clusterfuck game again. That game belongs in the nostalgia hole and I'm happy it's at least getting a graceful death.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
FFXIV’s bosses are designed to be killed, whereas FFXI’s bosses were piles of spells and TP moves thrown at a wall to see what stuck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I gave the gently caress up at Pagos but none of the Eureka bosses seemed particularly bad to me except maybe having to turn off spell effects. I doubt if they brought a FF11 superboss back it would be anywhere near the original.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Abyssea was the best era of FFXI with it's more casual endgame content and all of the stockholm syndrome survivors wanting more of anything else deserve one healthy butt chug of Eureka.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I gave the gently caress up at Pagos but none of the Eureka bosses seemed particularly bad to me except maybe having to turn off spell effects. I doubt if they brought a FF11 superboss back it would be anywhere near the original.

Cassie is a pretty hellish Eureka fight

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I got called a cocksucker during The Burn for screwing up and letting a DPS die to the first tankbuster from the first boss, using clemency during a big pull, and then forgetting to use Holy Spirit during a boss fight. He's not wrong to be mad, but I did report him for using a homophobic/misogynistic insult in the year 2018. Thanks for listening.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Captain Cappy posted:

I got called a cocksucker during The Burn for screwing up and letting a DPS die to the first tankbuster from the first boss, using clemency during a big pull, and then forgetting to use Holy Spirit during a boss fight. He's not wrong to be mad, but I did report him for using a homophobic/misogynistic insult in the year 2018. Thanks for listening.

I've definitely had bad runs where I'm like "yeah if people are mad at me that's fair cause I sucked this time" but yeah, always report tools for being tools

Definitely feel that feeling of "yeah, they were right to be mad at me". :smith: :hf: :smith:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Abyssea was the best era of FFXI with it's more casual endgame content and all of the stockholm syndrome survivors wanting more of anything else deserve one healthy butt chug of Eureka.

:same:
They deserve Pandemonium Warden. :colbert:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Monathin posted:

I've definitely had bad runs where I'm like "yeah if people are mad at me that's fair cause I sucked this time" but yeah, always report tools for being tools

Definitely feel that feeling of "yeah, they were right to be mad at me". :smith: :hf: :smith:

I don't actually feel bad about it. The DPS dieing was weird, usually I have enough time to use Goring Blade and then an enmity combo before a DPS takes aggro. I might have forgotten my oGCDs or something? It was a Redmage, I don't know if they're enmity factories. The clemency thing tilted me a bit because who the heck cares about a Paladin's useless aoe damage and "clemency is a waste of mana". It was like I joined a Savage raid or something.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

It was a Redmage

Redmages are kings of dumping stupid amounts of damage with no warmup so it's not too surprising. You can sometimes get up close to taking off a tank before they hit their 3rd combo hit even while using diversion on a RDM because you can just dump both ogcds and if you're precasting two of your stronger gcds basically immediately.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Captain Cappy posted:

It was like I joined a Savage raid or something.

Savage raids are more chill, you joined an alliance raid. :smugbert:

But yes, rdm has alot of frontloaded enmity gen as Kobata said.

Monathin posted:

but yeah, always report tools for being tools

Always.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Ibblebibble posted:

y'all ever have a sword so bright it starts to burn out the camera

What top is this? I didn't know there was a dyable version of the infantry shirt.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I believe it's the PvP direwolf striking top, but the tradable saurian striking top also has the same skin and is dyeable. I think it's just a difference of the undyeable bits bring different colours.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Splash Attack posted:

What top is this? I didn't know there was a dyable version of the infantry shirt.

There are three of them, actually. The one above is the Direwolf striking shirt for 1000 wolf marks, but you can also get the craftable Saurian shirt of striking. There's also the augmented saurian shirt and it glows around the shoulders.

The difference is in the colour of the cloth at the back. Direwolf is a duskier purple than Infantry, and saurian is black. Those parts won't change colour with dye.

Garland Tools has a "shared models" option on all of its gear if you're curious to see if there's another version of a favourite item! :eng101:

e: beaten.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Pandemonium Warden's chair would be a neat mount. Am I reading this right that you spawned some of these NMs in FFXI by getting random drops and trading them to NPCs?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

how do you report someone for reasons other than RMT?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

how do you report someone for reasons other than RMT?

You need to open the help/support menu, and there's an option to file a report where you have to type up a bunch of information about what happened. A GM will also probably message you later asking clarifying questions.

Really which they'd add more 'right-click message' -> "report for X" options.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 27, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cutter's cry, from a player that had every class at 70 (except BLM, which was 68)

e: he didn't even spam fire 3. He alternated between bliz 3 and fire 3.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 27, 2018

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Renegret posted:

Cutter's cry, from a player that had every class at 70 (except BLM, which was 68)

e: he didn't even spam fire 3. He alternated between bliz 3 and fire 3.

Please don't hate,they are roleplaying a confused red mage trying to balance their mana's.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Keeping the balance of aether to avoid causing another 6th umbral era calamity is a noble cause

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Does it balance aether to never use regen or shield in Bardam's? Does it change your answer if a WHM only uses Medica II and Cure II? I never thought I'd look down on another healer, but it made the final boss impossible.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I can tell you it doesn't balance aether to do all those things (and more imporantly: holy) and get yelled at for letting the tank die in Bardam's because they're still in shire gear and dropping tank stance.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I hate healing Bardam's Mettle so much.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Me too, but mostly from tanks that triple pull before finding out that their dpses are asleep.

Because the Bardams run fell through at the final boss, I requeued a few hours later and got to spend 45 minutes in Sirensong Sea with the most painfully honest healer who ran out of MP casting Cure II and a pair of what could generously be called “subpar” damage dealers. I’m actually rather sad I forgot to launch ACT so I could see.

Was I just living in a bubble before, because a good enough healer can drag any party across the finish line? Or are most parties not so bad? Last week I had a healer with a level 5 wand in copperbell. That’s not impossible, but drat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EponymousMrYar posted:

I can tell you it doesn't balance aether to do all those things (and more imporantly: holy) and get yelled at for letting the tank die in Bardam's because they're still in shire gear and dropping tank stance.

Jeez. I'm probably in the lower tier of tanks in this game and even I'm not that bad.

I only switch to Deliverance when the boss brought out his wings and stopped auto-attacking. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chakan posted:

Me too, but mostly from tanks that triple pull before finding out that their dpses are asleep.

Because the Bardams run fell through at the final boss, I requeued a few hours later and got to spend 45 minutes in Sirensong Sea with the most painfully honest healer who ran out of MP casting Cure II and a pair of what could generously be called “subpar” damage dealers. I’m actually rather sad I forgot to launch ACT so I could see.

Was I just living in a bubble before, because a good enough healer can drag any party across the finish line? Or are most parties not so bad? Last week I had a healer with a level 5 wand in copperbell. That’s not impossible, but drat.

If you're a competent healer you can pretty much win any fight, it just might take ten thousand years.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When even honest healing is too much for someone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tashilicious posted:

When even honest healing is too much for someone.

lmao wow

Honest healing is the most boring unengaging thing in the game I don't even understand why people would want to do that.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's not even honest healing. Honest healers at least, generally, keep you topped off because there's nothing else to do.

This person doesn't even do that. No DPS, demands no big pulls, and won't begin healing until you're at like 50%. Why even bother playing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Get this: Bardam's Meathole

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

:hai:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

DizzyBum posted:

But there were absolutely no hints to guide players...

FFXI in a nutshell, folks.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

:hmmyes:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I could use some Warrior itemization advice:

I just picked up the Sazaku Greataxe. However, I'm also pretty close to having the Mendacity and crystaloids to be able to buy the Scaevan Magitek Axe. The problem is that the Suzaku axe has better stat priority (Crit/Det instead of Ten/Crit) even though its stats are slightly warrior (106 damage vs 107, 372 strength vs 381)

So are the slightly higher stats on the Scaevan axe worth losing the Crit/Det stat priority?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Weapon Damage is king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Weapon Damage is king, but, and I am only half-joking when I say this, tome weapons are for suckers and tryhards. Tome weapons and their higher WD and later upgradability are only a consideration if you're savage raiding. Anything below, and a primal weapon is totally okay, so you can spend your tomes on other stuff.