Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Aight, the Lenny drinking mission was as great as y'all said it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

FBS posted:

I'm not really far enough in the story to speak to the writing overall, but:

This game has, by FAR, the best dialogue of any R* game I've played. In the past R* got praised for their writing, but the conversations felt terrible. Completely disjointed. Like two complete strangers talking for the first time and their lines were each written by two different writers rooms on opposite coasts.

This time the people on story missions speak like they know each other and when Arthur talks to a stranger you can tell he's never talked to them before. It's like they hired somebody who has actually experienced a human conversation before.

NIIIKO CAAAHHHSIIIN!!!

"I'm not so good at life, but I bowl like an angel." -nico bellic

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I'm very torn about getting this game. One the one hand, it looks really good.

On the other hand, I've been burned out on open world games and haven't liked one in years (except for BOTW) and this is giving me vibes from the Witcher 3, in that I REALLY tried to like that game, but I couldn't. Because:

A: The combat was miserable. The sort of hybrid between Batman combat and Dark Souls combat felt slow, yet janky. At least the combat for DRD2 looks competent.

B: The slowness of Witcher 3 really turned me off. Don't make me craft a ghost-killing oil for my sword, let me just go hit the ghost. RDR3 this looks EVEN slower, but somehow the attention to detail might somehow make that cathartic. Are there too many little chores to do here?

C: Roach, that loving horse. Normally horses are lovely in these games because they have a mind of their own, and you have to get off every 15 feet anyways so you can pick some flowers. It looks like the this game has less stops, are the horses less stupid?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm starting to really hate the controls in this game.

Being slow looting a house after a mission because I can't tell when I'm done looting I guess means I've suddenly committed a crime and got a bounty on me now. So I get on my horse to try and get away to go pay it off, whatever, it's 10 bucks. I run into some angry lawmen who start shooting at me, and after they're dead it's now 80 bucks. In the course of trying to get to a post office I run into a posse who gun me down instantly. Minus 50 bucks there.

When I respawn in town I've still got that bounty on me so I get on my horse and head over to the post office. On the way I knock into a pedestrian, eat an unarmed assault charge, and I stop to try and see if I can calm things down so it doesnt get worse. I can't, and he stabs me to death. -60 more dollars.

What am I doing wrong here? This is getting infuriating

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME CLINT EASTWOOD DID VOICE OVERS IN THIS

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm very torn about getting this game. One the one hand, it looks really good.

On the other hand, I've been burned out on open world games and haven't liked one in years (except for BOTW) and this is giving me vibes from the Witcher 3, in that I REALLY tried to like that game, but I couldn't. Because:

A: The combat was miserable. The sort of hybrid between Batman combat and Dark Souls combat felt slow, yet janky. At least the combat for DRD2 looks competent.

B: The slowness of Witcher 3 really turned me off. Don't make me craft a ghost-killing oil for my sword, let me just go hit the ghost. RDR3 this looks EVEN slower, but somehow the attention to detail might somehow make that cathartic. Are there too many little chores to do here?

C: Roach, that loving horse. Normally horses are lovely in these games because they have a mind of their own, and you have to get off every 15 feet anyways so you can pick some flowers. It looks like the this game has less stops, are the horses less stupid?

Don’t get it. Unless you have a particular affinity to cowboys and the American west.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I remember hearing that there were like 90+ tracks composed for the soundtrack but now that I've realized the variety of instrumentation and tone and stuff I'm truly impressed. You've got your whistling, you've got your banjo, you've got your harmonica, you've got your heavy organ music -- it seems like every single story mission so far has unique backing music along with a bunch of other ambient stuff that plays and it somehow manages to cover a huge range of genres while all still sounding classically western

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

RatHat posted:

If your horse dies do you need to get another horse and then go back to transfer your items? Or do they transfer automatically?

If you go into a stable your saddlebag will be retrieved.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Van Hoorn Trading Post is incredible. Might be my favorite town in the game as far as atmosphere.

KLazarus
Jul 16, 2007

Console exclusives of cool new games make me grumpy as gently caress. Having flashbacks to 2013.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

IMO the attention to detail IS cathartic, but it's also completely deranged. I went to a hotel and paid to took a bath (something you never need to do, as far as I know, and confers identical rejuvenation benefits as taking two seconds out of your time to chew some Cocaine Chewing Gum does or whatever) and it was like a several-minute sequence that involved multiple button prompts for "scrub left arm" "scrub right arm" "scrub left leg" and so on.

When I was done my character definitely looked cleaner but as far as I can tell there was no actual gameplay or stats benefit I couldn't have gotten from just pressing two buttons to eat some canned peaches from my inventory or whatever. I found it totally weird and hypnotic and I loved it but I would not fault anyone if that kind of stuff was a turn-off to them lol. This game is very slow and very strange

edit: and yeah this game is much much more slow and detail-driven than witcher 3, but for me it's fascinating to see a AAA massive budget take on eurojank poo poo like Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Japanese equivalents like Dragon's Dogma. The game certainly has flaws but I feel like even like 20 years for now it's going to be recognized for how weird and ambitious it is; it's hardly even in the same genre as GTAV or the last couple Asassin's Creed games

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 28, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Actually if you read through the thread you'll see that this game is very bad so you're not missing anything

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So I just stumbled onto a loving KKK gathering in the wilderness and the bloodlust just came over me. "GOD drat HOODED RODENTS. I'LL KILL ALLYA BASTERDS."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 28, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Crabtree posted:

So I just stumbled onto a loving KKK gathering in the wilderness and the bloodlust just came over me. "GOD drat HOODED RODENTS. I'LL KILL ALLYA BASTERDS."

I let them light the cross and it ended up lighting a couple of them on fire. lol. Then I strangled the leader when they scattered.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Holy poo poo, you can actually commit arson in this game and burn down buildings and people that will never respawn back ruining a 100% trophy run on your first time. Save often, keep multiple saves.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

insane anime posted:

Holy poo poo, you can actually commit arson in this game and burn down buildings and people that will never respawn back ruining a 100% trophy run on your first time. Save often, keep multiple saves.

Is it actually confirmed that they don't come back? I have my doubts, especially about NPCs not respawning.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

RatHat posted:

Is it actually confirmed that they don't come back? I have my doubts, especially about NPCs not respawning.

Yep.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

RatHat posted:

Number of missable trophies: 4 – Lending a Hand, Friends With Benefits, Give to the Poor, Errand Boy

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Cool, there are UFOs in this too just like GTA lol. Based Rock Star.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don’t get how I’m supposed to walk away victorious from robbing the doctor's illicit business

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay what’s this HUGE rear end black stallion doing in my camp and how come I can’t even study him, much less mount him? He dwarfs every other horse

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

mp5 posted:

So I get on my horse to try and get away to go pay it off, whatever, it's 10 bucks. I run into some angry lawmen who start shooting at me, and after they're dead it's now 80 bucks. In the course of trying to get to a post office I run into a posse who gun me down instantly. Minus 50 bucks there.

When I respawn in town I've still got that bounty on me so I get on my horse and head over to the post office. On the way I knock into a pedestrian, eat an unarmed assault charge, and I stop to try and see if I can calm things down so it doesnt get worse. I can't, and he stabs me to death. -60 more dollars.

What am I doing wrong here? This is getting infuriating
Bounty hunters will appear on the map before they see you, you can avoid them easily (I've spent hours with a bounty just wandering around hunting, just ride away before they get too close).
You also don't need to kill everyone that shoots at you, if you ride away your bounty doesn't increase.

If you're running over people in town, try slowing down?

There's plenty of jank with bounties though, like the time I stood still on my horse listening to some guy ranting on a soapbox and apparently ran over an animal or something, got "disturbing the peace". But I just left instead of shooting all the lawmen, had a $10 bounty in the state for 3 hours and only paid it off when I had to go there for multiple quests.

Or the time I jumped on a moving train to rob it, only there was not a single person on it. So I jumped out just before it arrived in town, and got still got a Train Robbery bounty. Who the hell even saw me??

AndrewP posted:

Okay what’s this HUGE rear end black stallion doing in my camp and how come I can’t even study him, much less mount him? He dwarfs every other horse
Do Hosea's quest, and you'll unlock some more stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

insane anime posted:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME CLINT EASTWOOD DID VOICE OVERS IN THIS

Does he go on a senile rant to an empty chair?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Tercio posted:

can i put my secondary holster on my side or is it always on my front?

so i'm guessing it must always remain at my front

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I stumbled across some crazy hillbillies in the woods that led me into a pitfall trap so I shot off their faces with my shotgun. Then, I went and helped my good photographer buddy take some pictures of stallions, which Arthur was very happy to do :3:. I'm sure something awful will happen to him if RDR 1 sidequests are anything to go off of.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am only a couple hours in but so far I feel like this game feels a little more mature than the last few GTAs or even the first RDR. I'm sure I'll run into some sort of Herbert moooooooon thing soon enough but for now it's pretty refreshingly restrained.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

On a long ride back to camp I started shooting every animal I passed and leaving them. When I got back to camp I sat down with one of the women for a heart to heart during which my character exclaimed in an anguished voice: "I don't know what's wrong with me I just keep killing animals needlessly!"

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Yes, this game has Narwhals.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

insane anime posted:

A bunch of Easter egg spoilers

Use the spoiler tags dipshit, that's three times now.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

Use the spoiler tags dipshit, that's three times now.

Game harder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dang is there a mission connected to this house with the “last sermon” letter or or is this just some creepy rear end random spot?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

insane anime posted:

Game harder.

lol

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

Dang is there a mission connected to this house with the “last sermon” letter or or is this just some creepy rear end random spot?

The warlock stuff I was talking about earlier.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DrNutt posted:

I am only a couple hours in but so far I feel like this game feels a little more mature than the last few GTAs or even the first RDR. I'm sure I'll run into some sort of Herbert moooooooon thing soon enough but for now it's pretty refreshingly restrained.

Oh there's stuff.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm a lot angrier than I probably should be that I can't name my horse "Boner"

gently caress you rockstar it's a single player game and I've killed over 100 people by this point I can name my horse whatever the gently caress I want

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

PM me if you want the references to Fallout 76 Rockstar snuck in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What benefit does collection carcasses bring? I don't really like hunting because I can only bring back one dear and two small animals, but I also get some of their meat skinning?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Republicans posted:

Oh there's stuff.

I knew they just couldn't help themselves.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm a lot angrier than I probably should be that I can't name my horse "Boner"

gently caress you rockstar it's a single player game and I've killed over 100 people by this point I can name my horse whatever the gently caress I want

I tried to name my horse “Sheila” and it was censored. Wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just circumnavigated the entire southern half of the map to get enough loot for the leatherworking tools and i don't know why because the "rewards" you can craft seem negligible at best and hunting in this game blows goats

but the home robbery at the map's extreme southern edge had me feeling like a bad, bad man