Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
I'm just bandwagoning, but this was incredibly interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgK51w6uhk

What an amazing time we live in, where there are so many incredibly interesting content creators making awesome stuff like this for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
They’ve turned up in my recommended list too, I assumed it was a ToT/Clickspring thing.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
They were posted earlier in the thread, and then Alec Steele linked them on his most recent video, which has gotten him about 15k more subscribers in the past two days.

Makes me wonder if Alec browses these forums on occasion.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Awesome prose.

Quality Control Engineer : "Is it any good? We have not the tools to test it maister."

Management : "Hit it with an axe."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

immoral_ posted:

Makes me wonder if Alec browses these forums on occasion.

More likely he saw it through youtube's recommendation system. The all seeing eye saw a bunch of people who watch ToT and Alec Steel etc look at machine thinking and edge precision and physics anonymous and started tossing up cross recommendations to each viewer AND the creators.

Then for example I'm now following an awesome cooking channel because tony built him an awesome pasta machine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well he didn't have a lot of videos yet so I've watched all there is now.

Also almost thought I was gonna buy a mill there, but reality check with a tape measure in my shop + noticing there was a mounting lack of features...

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Then for example I'm now following an awesome cooking channel because tony built him an awesome pasta machine.
:same:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Alec Steele is great. I love watching him work just for the insane enthusiasm that he has for the craft, and that he explains stuff. I'm a mechanical design engineer by qualification and while I have a working understanding of metallurgy, fabrication and manufacturing, people like Alec actually delve into the why. Also he's a clear indicator of the "get out what you put in" attitude. I was watching his last video on the viking sword and the attention to detail is great

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Absolutely subscribed to the Machine Thinking channel. The way he presents info really makes me feel like we're standing on the shoulders of giants, to use a common phrase. I'm also glad to have a rabbithole to dive into with the history of precision/metrology.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Machine Thinking friendo said on Wednesday evening:

quote:

Yes, it's been quite a ride. I (finally!) published my first video about a year ago (waited for website to be done) and it took nearly a year to get 2000 subs with the ones that followed. Then suddenly in the space of about a week I'm knocking on 30,000 subs. Over 5.5 million minutes of my videos watched in the last 3 days. I've been getting multiple subs a minute for days now. pretty crazy.

Then, today around lunch, this happened. Maybe you know the guy? Has 1.3M subs which is cool. I don't think he sent me a crazy amount of traffic, but those you have come have heavily subscribed which is nice.

https://youtu.be/IqlRsL95bvo?t=737

Thanks for the kind words. I have a long way to go but yes learning to add a bit more production value super helps. I will very much miss all the research time I had in Paris.

I believe he's coming or has just come back from a year in Paris; he'll have access to his shop now, so perhaps we'll get more direct building content. I know he's been working on an orrery, the micrometer, and some other projects. But he will also probably have to go back to work, so maybe he'll have less time for making videos. I'll ask him about it soon.

I also want to get invited to go hang around in his shop and do metal things. I'm gonna see if I can finagle that. It's a half-hour drive away from me when there's no commute traffic, so not something I can do on a random whim, but easily could do any saturday or whatever.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Yooper posted:

Quality Control Engineer : "Is it any good? We have not the tools to test it maister."

Management : "Hit it with an axe."

I once spent half an hour whacking a part with a 2x4 to see if I could get the 20 micron deformation that happened after we cut it to pop back through a toggle point. Management had wanted to buy an automated press to pop 750k parts per year back into shape. Spoiler: it didn't work, had to totally change the process to eliminate the internal stresses that caused the deformation. I think my write-up referred to it as "dynamic load application" or some similar euphemism.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ooohh errr durrr, I am somewhat shocked right now. I might become the owner of a Deckel FP2.... Lowballed offer that was accepted... didn't expect that.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
(price does not include shipping) :D

My bandsaw to belt sander is nearly finished. Just need to make the motor go the other way and adjust the tracking.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rapulum_Dei posted:

(price does not include shipping) :D

That's a few hundred for a pallet to my garage door. The price including shipping is still half the average price these go for, albeit they are in nicer looking shape.

I note on your sander that it looks like the motor will drive the belt on the sanding side? Any idea how that will hold up?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
No idea! :sun:

My original plan is a further small wheel on a swing arm between the motor and the one to the right as you look at it. That way they’re all on the same side of the belt and the motor drives the right direction.

But i’m Still waiting on the bearings to arrive so I had a ‘I wonder if...’ moment.
The abrasive is moving _with_ the wheel so it’s not instantly wearing it away.

It’s turned into a test of 3d printed mechanical parts in general. I’m going to see how long they last before I have to replace them with cast ones. Just out of interest.

Have you 3 phase for the mill or how much will an inverter be? Looks like she’s got some serious gravity to ‘er waa.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Since you got it set up it would be interesting to see how muich it wears.

Yeah I got 3 phase so no problem there, this machine is from what I understand around 975kg on it's own, but this is likely more.
It's a pretty compact mill, roughly 1400mm wide, 1000mm depth, 2000mm tall. It will need some serious clean up. I am sitting here thinking about how I should reorganize the shop, if I can even get it into the place I imagine putting it in.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's a few hundred for a pallet to my garage door. The price including shipping is still half the average price these go for, albeit they are in nicer looking shape.

I note on your sander that it looks like the motor will drive the belt on the sanding side? Any idea how that will hold up?

dope as gently caress

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm extremely excited for this, I think it might be the best machine deal I have made. I thought my big old 24" bandsaw was my best deal yet but while I paid more in absolute terms here, in relative terms this is the better deal.

I also noted initially it lacked the overarm for horizontal milling, but did have the support, but I wasn't gonna complain about that given the price. But then I found out I don't need the overarm and I don't need to remove the vertical head on the FP2 because it is the rarer "long reach" head and that can mount the support directly, so I don't need to remove anything to switch to horizontal milling, just swivel the vertical head to the side. That's a super sleek setup. The serial number indicates it's made in 1958.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Thats awesome! Im currently in the market for the same size machine, i hope I get a deal like that

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
So who's drawing up the CAD file to cut a dickbutt on AvE's new 5 axis Haas?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If I may recommend another youtuber I started watching this guy a year ago and I really like his work, Geoffry Croker from New Zealand.

Myford ML7 rebuild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtKutRzSf0U&list=PLNR9e5gIAR0dbMWsli4HSa9ldmjeGSMm_

Elliot drill press restoration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uSih6ZFefo&list=PLNR9e5gIAR0dL90Qe17eYGCahDvLT-5MX

Land rover restoration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Umuf-j2bMg&list=PLNR9e5gIAR0ep6TiEuqNJB_I1ohTZ4bg_

Also I cleared out a space for the milling machine, last thursday it was loaded on the truck in Sweden and now it's at the termnial in Vaasa, I am already scared shitless about the possibility of it tipping over when we're moving the pallet in.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I’ve been watching his land rover build. He’s got a nice way of explaining things.

Edit: my confidence in being able to reverse the motor I have may be misplaced. When I open it up there’s only 2 wires, both red, that can be disconnected. One coming from the capacitor, one coming from the switch. Even though the fan is omnidirectional i’m not sure I have any options. :(

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 5, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How much heartache do you think I'd be causing myself by buying a bunch of cheapo taps from AliExpress? You can get them on there for like <$1 each and I'm always misplacing my M3.

I would mostly be using them on plastic parts, which I'm not worried about, and some aluminum parts, which I'm slightly worried about. Probably no steel or harder metals or power tapping, which I would be quite worried about.

Do you think that the $3 set of M3-M10 taps from AE are noticeably shittier (i.e. more likely to break off) than the $15 Craftsman set or do they probably just come out of the same factory in the end?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

How much heartache do you think I'd be causing myself by buying a bunch of cheapo taps from AliExpress? You can get them on there for like <$1 each and I'm always misplacing my M3.

I would mostly be using them on plastic parts, which I'm not worried about, and some aluminum parts, which I'm slightly worried about. Probably no steel or harder metals or power tapping, which I would be quite worried about.

Do you think that the $3 set of M3-M10 taps from AE are noticeably shittier (i.e. more likely to break off) than the $15 Craftsman set or do they probably just come out of the same factory in the end?

My rule for cheap tooling on Ali is to order from the guy with a shitload of orders. That's my only criteria. He's most likely to be the real factory/distributor. I've had tools come in laughably bad and tools come in so nice I wondered how they could have made a milling head for $4.

If all else, if you had to throw away the part because the threads are bad/ tap is broken, how much are you out?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sagebrush posted:

If you're going for budget domestic-sold tooling going straight to the source is usually worth it if you can wait for stuff to come in, imo. It's usually the same stuff without the middleman markup. For some stuff there really does exist a sub-Craftsman tier of Simulacrum Products that aren't even barely-functional but look good enough to get purchased, but with machine tooling that doesn't really fly on places like AE because if your tooling straight up does not do its job you won't stay in business for long at all.
The quality of ground cutting edges and the like can vary hugely and I've gotten some duds, but that's why you usually buy a couple at once, and well-reviewed products with review photos are extremely helpful for getting an honest look at the rough spots. And the hit/miss ratio for quality irt AliExpress crap is essentially the exact same as your Harbour Freight et al products so I don't see that as a huge issue contextually. And finally, if a product is a total dud it's usually not hard to get your money back or at least a free replacement on AE, just a bunch more waiting involved.

One issue I have run into is ostensibly-similar tooling getting substituted for cost reasons, like I ordered some chamfer mills and got sent 90o drill mills instead. Hundreds of reviews and nobody mentioned the substitution, maybe they had just started that bait and switch or something but it was a bummer. The manufacturer offered to replace the product for free, meeting AE's return policy requirements, but there wasn't anything wrong with the bits, they just aren't what was advertised, and apparently the standard "substitutions differing in appearance may be made at our discretion" clause lets them pull poo poo like that because AE's support peons aren't exactly schooled on the subtleties of milling cutters.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 8, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When it comes to eye protection for welding, I am learning as a hobbyist at best and don't plan to do a lot of welding so I want to keep this purchase fairly cheap. When I'm looking at budget eye protection, is auto-darkening at a low pricepoint still reliable, or should I just get a flip-down mask?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I got it home!

Some kind of cabinet?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Martytoof posted:

When it comes to eye protection for welding, I am learning as a hobbyist at best and don't plan to do a lot of welding so I want to keep this purchase fairly cheap. When I'm looking at budget eye protection, is auto-darkening at a low pricepoint still reliable, or should I just get a flip-down mask?

Hey Marty! I'd go non auto darkening. Not being able to see when you're starting sucks but you'll be able to see a lot better once the arc is going.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've gotten taps with visible parting lines and mold flash from Irwin before, get a 3pc taper/plug/bottom set from MSC that comes with the nifty holder so you'll stop losing it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Hey Marty! I'd go non auto darkening. Not being able to see when you're starting sucks but you'll be able to see a lot better once the arc is going.

And I'll gently disagree. There are budget auto-darkening units that are functional and with a delay so short that your eyes are protected.

This is the one I have, and have been using, with no problems:
https://www.harborfreight.com/standard-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-61611.html
e. I misremembered getting it from amazon - it's actually a harbor freight helmet.

I wanted a helmet with reasonable comfort, auto-darkening shade, room for a breathing mask underneath, and no terrible loving graphics. This one has adjustable darkness so you can make sure you can still see while welding.

It has a smaller view than some of the more expensive helmets, so there is still surely a compromise, but I don't mind it since I'm also doing only very occasional, hobbyist-level welding.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 8, 2018

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
The uv protection is constant, delay doesn’t affect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyeVXuElkQ

Personally I’d buy the best you can afford when it comes to safety equipment.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks dudes. I'm not looking to cheap out on PPE for no reason so I'm willing to spend above bare minimum, I just don't know what the price point is where you get out of "cheap garbage that will probably blind you" and into "won't instantly regret" territory. I figured that a flip-down will be at least a base level of protection such that I won't be flashing myself, even if I sacrifice convenience.

I value my eyesight and just don't really have any basis for judgment on autos :)

I'm learning on babby's first $200 FCAW so I'm also fighting with the instinct to keep the price for PPE under the price of the welder, which is really just a mental barrier more than anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Thanks dudes. I'm not looking to cheap out on PPE for no reason so I'm willing to spend above bare minimum, I just don't know what the price point is where you get out of "cheap garbage that will probably blind you" and into "won't instantly regret" territory. I figured that a flip-down will be at least a base level of protection such that I won't be flashing myself, even if I sacrifice convenience.

I value my eyesight and just don't really have any basis for judgment on autos :)

I'm learning on babby's first $200 FCAW so I'm also fighting with the instinct to keep the price for PPE under the price of the welder, which is really just a mental barrier more than anything.

I think the difference in price between the harbor freight welding mask and a much more expensive one comes down to things like build quality and durability, not a binary will/won't protect your eyes factor. The HF mask is rated to protect your eyes, and if there were a bunch of welders going blind because it was failing, there'd be all kinds of poo poo on the internet about it.

This is one of those cases where the experts will always recommend expensive high-grade kit because that is the only thing they themselves should ever consider: if you're spending $1200 on your welder you can spend $200 on a helmet that will last you a decade (and still have replacement parts available in 10 years) and that's totally fine.

But for a hobbyist with a garage sale fluxcore unit that will run for approximately 10 hours a year? Yeah man the HF helmet will be perfectly adequate for under $50. You are not compromising your eye safety with it, just probably some degree of comfort, durability, ease of use, or longevity.

e. here's some more in-depth chat about it on a welding forum:
https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/forum/equipment-talk/welding-helmets-safety-gear/37980-cheap-harbor-freight-helmets

Consensus view is that they do work, not great for low-amp TIG but anythign else it's fine, definitely not the best in bright light/sunlight which tends to trigger the darkout feature, and if you can't replace the battery that puts a hard limit to how long before you have to replace the electronics (measured in years, though). So: cheap, but provides an acceptable level of safety at a very low price.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 8, 2018

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The big thing for me wasn't safety but that a normal mask seemed a lot clearer while welding vs auto darkening. I used to use an auto dark until a friend made me try his and it was like putting on glasses for the first time. This was a while ago, I should try auto darkening again probably.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Again, thanks guys. I'm going to hit up our local HF-equivalent and check them out in person. As far as clarity, I'm hoping it's pretty evident the second I try it on but we'll see. Anyway, wish me luck :haw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All welding helmets protect your eyes at all times -- the glass is made to strip out all the UV. If the auto-darkening feature breaks, you'll be seeing spots for a while, but you won't get arc eye.

The differences between cheap and expensive helmets are in build quality, battery life, reaction time (one that takes a fraction of a second to kick in will be more annoying and fatiguing than one that triggers instantly), and sensitivity (too high and it'll flicker in the sun, too low and you can't use it for dimmer operations like low-current TIG). Good helmets have adjustable sensitivity and shade, and are battery powered with a solar cell backup.

I have a Rhino helmet with a double-size viewport and it's great

https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Darkening-Welding-Helmet-Carbon/dp/B0792KWZXP/

Only annoying thing is that it takes coin cells instead of AAAs or whatever, but just buy a pack of 10 also on Amazon for 5 bucks and be set for life.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I have a Rhino helmet with a double-size viewport and it's great

https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Darkening-Welding-Helmet-Carbon/dp/B0792KWZXP/

Only annoying thing is that it takes coin cells instead of AAAs or whatever, but just buy a pack of 10 also on Amazon for 5 bucks and be set for life.

I've had that same helmet for a couple of year. It's not nearly as nice as my buddy's high end Miller he's got, but it does the job at the right price for somebody who's only occasionally welding.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Everything you need to know about GD&T in one footnote:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I mean once you get close enough everything is lovely wiggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

honda whisperer posted:

I mean once you get close enough everything is lovely wiggles.

All my parts single crystal nickle shafts that are monocrystalline diamond turned on an air spindle