Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

SirPablo posted:

Apu has a sex change, becomes a chud.

Apu is replaced with Dinesh D'Souza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SirPablo posted:

The smoldering K joke would never be done now because it is subtle and treats the audience with some respect.

Spelling out jokes to the nth degree might be the start of a show going downhill, absolutely. Good contribution to the topic :)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You could make an entire thread about re-writing classic good Simpsons jokes in the modern style.

In "Summer of 4'2"", in the scene where its revealed that Milhouse was awkwardly present at the kitchen table while Lisa scolds Bart and says "Oh boy! A Carnival!" they would be sure to tag in a line like "I've been here the whole time!" just to be sure the audience got the joke.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
What is Peru?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Burkina faso is not in the southern hemisphere, bart.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You could make an entire thread about re-writing classic good Simpsons jokes in the modern style.

In "Summer of 4'2"", in the scene where its revealed that Milhouse was awkwardly present at the kitchen table while Lisa scolds Bart and says "Oh boy! A Carnival!" they would be sure to tag in a line like "I've been here the whole time!" just to be sure the audience got the joke.

I think I mentioned it like last year in this thread, but I think the comparison between the new vs old treatment of the same joke about teasing stoic guards below says is a perfect case study

https://youtu.be/BdDdeS997hM

https://youtu.be/zzt0xBXTNhI

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Milo and POTUS posted:

Burkina faso is not in the southern hemisphere, bart.

however, Rand McNally is

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

The best Apu joke is when Dr. Hibbert explains he only survived getting shot because the bullet ricocheted off of a different bullet lodged in his chest from a previous robbery.

I'm torn between this, and "this is just between you and me, smashed hat", and everything he does as the coach in the episode where Lisa and Bart both play hockey..

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
This exact point

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

A thing that always annoyed me in a similar vein, I know that the 'No, Money Down!' gag is an absolute classic, but it always annoyed me how they have Bart and Hutz repeat the joke verbally after you just see it presumably so that slower members of the audience understood it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yuL6PcgSgM

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think they just did it that way because that's how it would play out in an actual scenario. Someone would object, and the guy could just do that. And he would have to spell it out for them, because you can just treat clients that way.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think I mentioned it like last year in this thread, but I think the comparison between the new vs old treatment of the same joke about teasing stoic guards below says is a perfect case study

https://youtu.be/BdDdeS997hM

https://youtu.be/zzt0xBXTNhI

The other issue is the complete lopsidedness to the "punishment" homer receives. The marine punches him once for being a jerk whilst the monks literally tear his heart out (terrible in itself) in response. I mean, where the hell is the joke in that exactly?

khwarezm posted:

A thing that always annoyed me in a similar vein, I know that the 'No, Money Down!' gag is an absolute classic, but it always annoyed me how they have Bart and Hutz repeat the joke verbally after you just see it presumably so that slower members of the audience understood it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yuL6PcgSgM

Well it does lead into the more subtle bar association joke as well. It still absolutely works.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Because the Simpsons is part of a thing called satire. So it's almost like the joke is that because Apu is Indian his intelligence and hard work is not fairly rewarded in America where as our protagonist homer is a Caucasian male who is a loud, rude, alcoholic who is rewarded for his behavior and fails upwards his entire life. It's almost like the humor is making a point about American culture.

They've changed his background like ten times, most recent he graduated from "MIT", or the "Mumbai Institute of Tantric Sex"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Frog Act posted:

They've changed his background like ten times, most recent he graduated from "MIT", or the "Mumbai Institute of Tantric Sex"

Ruining the Caltech joke, why not.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Nutsngum posted:

The other issue is the complete lopsidedness to the "punishment" homer receives. The marine punches him once for being a jerk whilst the monks literally tear his heart out (terrible in itself) in response. I mean, where the hell is the joke in that exactly?

He didn't wash his hands. loving hilarious!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nutsngum posted:

The joke is Homer gets beat up, and violence is funny!!

THEY didn't realize the violence was funny in the first clip because it's punishment for Homer being a jerk. Also because it's quick and surprising.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hrist posted:

I think they just did it that way because that's how it would play out in an actual scenario. Someone would object, and the guy could just do that. And he would have to spell it out for them, because you can just treat clients that way.

Also it’s just plain funny the way Hartman delivers the line.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mr.Tophat posted:

This exact point

Thanks, we can finally close the thread

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thread needs a title change so that joke can stop being made.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Modern Simpsons could never come up with a joke as obscure as suggesting Krusty was responsible for Robert Frost's death.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i'm starting to think this apu character is kinda racist. what do you guys think?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Arcsquad12 posted:

Modern Simpsons could never come up with a joke

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Junk posted:

i'm starting to think this apu character is kinda racist. what do you guys think?

My dude have you even seen Bumblebee Man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YS9wbHI10

HOLY poo poo I FOUND THIS SEARCHING FOR THAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XlLdhc3x-s

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
well I mean he's the only brown character on the show and they named him "a poo"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also his last name is basically a “ching chong wing wong” joke

Just puttin that out there

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Watching the Simpsons as a kid here in Europe made me believe that all American are fat, lazy and dumb. Then I met some Americans and it basically confirmed all the stereotypes so I dunno where this anecdote is going.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jim Jeffries has an amazing joke about Americans in the UK where he goes "Here's something you'll never hear:'That American in the corner sure is a quiet chap, isn't he?'"

we don't want to be homer simpson, but we honestly all kind of are.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

this loving sucks and it's from 13 seasons ago

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

emgeejay posted:

this loving sucks and it's from 13 seasons ago

i love youtube comments

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

i love youtube comments

on the show it’s probably called “YouCube” and Bart uses it to watch PineCraft videos

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

emgeejay posted:

on the show it’s probably called “YouCube” and Bart uses it to watch PineCraft videos

He seems more like a Bortnite kind of guy to me

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Communist Walrus posted:

He seems more like a Bortnite kind of guy to me

Too clever, it could be seen as a callback to the Bort joke. You're one of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMknQN70TpA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if everyone knows this, but Carl is Icelandic.

There's an episode where he runs away back to Iceland.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bust Rodd posted:

My dude have you even seen Bumblebee Man?
Not to :goonsay: but BBM is a send-up of two great Spanish TV mainstays:
* comedy variety shows a la Sabado Gigante that feature big titty girls between bad sketch comedy, gameshow or performance acts
* El Chapulin Colorado, a bumbling hero

//meh, I guess there's also something flawed in that the presentation boils down to "lol mexicans only have one joke to tell"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 28, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZP-YskaKQ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know if everyone knows this, but Carl is Icelandic.

There's an episode where he runs away back to Iceland.

See, it's to explain why his name is Carl Carlson.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

FilthyImp posted:

A bumbling hero

Holy crap, if that wordplay is actually another intentional hidden layer on the joke then :psyboom:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sentient Data posted:

Holy crap, if that wordplay is actually another intentional hidden layer on the joke then :psyboom:

It’s not, the story is that Matt Groening once saw a mexican show with a man dressed as an insect (totally el Chapulín Colorado) which is why he’s dressed as a bee

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Imagine if the only Peruvian character on TV rode a llama everywhere, ate guinea pigs and lived in a house shaped like Machu Picchu

Wasn't Apu way more than that?

EDIT: Both the Latino characters were quite the stereotype by the way.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Smithers is a gay stereotype, he’s just not an offensive gay stereotype.

Also the Homer learns about gay people is always one of my favorite. “We work hard, we play hard.”