Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Pierson posted:

Is it possible to download and use other people's characters? I grabbed the season pass for :10bux: but don't really want to play through the entire game again. It's really hard to come back to DS3 after Bloodborne.

There are mule and completed save files on Nexus Mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Nah I meant at low levels. She might take a couple tries but with a +3 large club around SL30 or so it shouldn't be TOO bad. Keep in mind I was suggesting this to someone who said they have already beaten the game.

Edit: Gold Pine Resin works great on her too, dunno about bleed/carthus anymore
I fought dancer at low levels for loving hours upon hours before I finally did it. I'm speaking from experience here when I say it's hard as poo poo. Possibly the hardest thing I've ever done in this series.

The problem isn't the damage you deal, it's the fact that she has a couple of attacks that just kill you at low HP. Unless you do that all into HP + dark hand strat, but at that point since you're cheesing anyway and the point was to get to DLC as fast as possible, why not just cheat

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Downloading someone else's save file to skip almost everything and hop into the endgame is insanity to me. If you don't like the game because it's different from Bloodborne, why would that change when you jump to the most difficult part of the game?

Just play through the dang game, you'll get used to the difference coming out of Bloodborne fast enough and if you've played the base game before then it won't even take you that long.

Amppelix posted:

I fought dancer at low levels for loving hours upon hours before I finally did it. I'm speaking from experience here when I say it's hard as poo poo. Possibly the hardest thing I've ever done in this series.

The problem isn't the damage you deal, it's the fact that she has a couple of attacks that just kill you at low HP. Unless you do that all into HP + dark hand strat, but at that point since you're cheesing anyway and the point was to get to DLC as fast as possible, why not just cheat

Dancer at SL1 is hard as poo poo. Here's me going at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9v6XZo99FM

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
You really need the Lloyds shield ring to not be one-shot at low levels, but that requires getting the ashes that are just past crystal sage. To low level crystal sage you need the throwing knives littered around high wall (for the doubles in phase 2) and the magic resistant bug pellets just before crystal sage boss room.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Well he's also not wearing any chest armor. Even the sword boy's rags would at least counter the 10% dr penalty

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
God drat, I am so bad at pvp it's comical

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Laminator posted:

God drat, I am so bad at pvp it's comical

I've never liked pvp in these games so I usually just hide somewhere and do something else to wait it out cause I figure in the meta I'm at least wasting their time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just fight them and either die or don't die who cares

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Nihilist video game philosophy.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nihilist video game philosophy.

:darksouls:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

morallyobjected posted:

I've never liked pvp in these games so I usually just hide somewhere and do something else to wait it out cause I figure in the meta I'm at least wasting their time

hide and seek is actually a lot of fun. it's a change of pace from how most invasions go and it tests and develops your knowledge of the level layout.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hide and seek is actually a lot of fun. it's a change of pace from how most invasions go and it tests and develops your knowledge of the level layout.

strangely enough, no one ever looks at the top of the stairs by the entrance to the Crystal Sage's swamp

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fond memories of breaking every object possible in the parish

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's fun to use a chameleon spell/item and see how good of a hiding spot you can get. I did pretty good one time in the little courtyard right after Pontiff. Got like a little statue and parked myself where it looked like another one would go. Usually people take at least two passes before they really start looking closely.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Any invasion that isn't a one on one pitched battle between two players is a good invasion.

Did you know you can kite the two sleeping giants after the pontiff boss room back to that first courtyard (where people host fight clubs). In that small area they become better support than an army of summons. Gank city invasions slowed down for me last night so I finished by popping fingers and fighting off invaders through the legs of giants in that courtyard. The giants won't come up the stairs that lead to the tower with the pontiff beasts though.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Sakurazuka posted:

I just started playing again after like a year of no Dark Souls. I got invaded last night by Aldrich faithful then a red phantom. Showed the red to the Aldrich, had them fight, then bowed and knelt for the red to kill me. He stood there staring at me for probably two minutes. I think he expected a trick. Nope, just waiting to die.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's fun to use a chameleon spell/item and see how good of a hiding spot you can get. I did pretty good one time in the little courtyard right after Pontiff. Got like a little statue and parked myself where it looked like another one would go. Usually people take at least two passes before they really start looking closely.

My friend and I used to troll people by having him out in the open and I'd be using a chameleon spell.

Turns out surprise chaos bed vestige is very effective.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been poking at DS3 here and there for a few months. I'm about 5 hours of gametime clocked. It is frustrating at first, (no poo poo right?) This is my first foray into the whole From catalog, and I just started to "get" into the flow of it a couple days ago. I'm only at the High Walls of Lothric, but the variations in how the enemies respond in this short section is still interesting enough even if I keep getting stomped by or before the miniboss up on the other side. I found myself enjoying methodically trying out different combat techniques with Sir Porcival the Fresh Meat against each of the big dudes with an axe and poleaxe, and the fact that there are a lot of different narrow spaces that all cramp my style in different ways make this a good place to try a lot of different stuff and make the gitting gud happen a little bit more each time I die...

I may start recording it and start analyzing my tapes...

:darksouls:

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 25, 2018

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

100% block shield + straight sword will carry you to the end of the game while you learn the harsh world of Lothric

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Laminator posted:

100% block shield + straight sword will carry you to the end of the game while you learn the harsh world of Lothric

Seriously the regular-rear end Longsword and the appropriate resin is one of the best weapons in the whole game

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Here you go

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Started a new game as a pyromancer and figured I'd just rush down to Smouldering Lake and the Demon Ruins. I'm at the Catacombs now but I'm not seeing Anri and Horace. I haven't beat the Crystal Sage or Deacons yet, do I have to do that first ? If I go down to Smouldering Lake without getting Anri and Horace to the Catacombs is their quest just failed? Why are the NPC quests so god drat confusing?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I think you gotta say hi to them at the fortress along the way to crucifixion woods/swamp/cathedral

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did you talk to Anri twice in the catacombs?

e: also you do have to beat Deacons first. Total list of things required to move Horace to Lake: 1) talk on Road of Sacrifices. 2) kill Deacons. 3) talk at Firelink. 4) talk in Catacombs before the big stairway. 5) talk in Catacombs near the rope bridge.

I don’t think you can fail the quest by doing Lake without encountering Horace though. Horace will still go there and go hollow even if the area has been cleared.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 26, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/296

This looks pretty fun.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

What level is everyone playing at now? I hopped on yesterday evening and the ringed city was a barren wasteland.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Ganks are alive and well in Irithyll around meta level

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Meta Level is still 120? Or did it move up?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Carl Seitan posted:

Meta Level is still 120? Or did it move up?

some do 120, some do 125. i think another meta is 150 or something but no idea how populated that is.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
DS3 is real to me

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

so here's some highlights of my several hours trying to be a SL120 Aldritch from this weekend. The latency and lag issues in this game are so incredibly unintuitive, my brain cannot hold that what you are seeing is actually what was going on 0.5-0.75 seconds ago. Like take a look at the crossbow bolt that kills me in the second clip, you can see the drat thing whizzing by my character on the left, but it kills me anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwtro6eN1bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poaRPpQeHso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQJo0yZz8R4

I think I'm going to reconfigure to a vitaliity/strength build and just swing an ultragreat sword all day, because trying to do things like "use a straight sword" or "parry" are loving impossible 95% of the time when you are just getting tanked through by Dragonslayer Greataxes or Ultragreat Swords or Paired Ultragreatswords

Laminator fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 28, 2018

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Laminator posted:

so here's some highlights of my several hours trying to be a SL120 Aldritch from this weekend. The latency and lag issues in this game are so incredibly unintuitive, my brain cannot hold that what you are seeing is actually what was going on 0.5-0.75 seconds ago. Like take a look at the crossbow bolt that kills me in the second clip, you can see the drat thing whizzing by my character on the left, but it kills me anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwtro6eN1bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poaRPpQeHso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQJo0yZz8R4

I think I'm going to reconfigure to a vitaliity/strength build and just swing an ultragreat sword all day, because trying to do things like "use a straight sword" or "parry" are loving impossible 95% of the time when you are just getting tanked through by Dragonslayer Greataxes or Ultragreat Swords or Paired Ultragreatswords

Yeh it's more the "rythm" you need to get a feel for than anything. Like, when you first start engaging an opponent you can roll through their attacks and see if you got hit confirms. That way you can get a feel for how far their phantom range is, and know which attacks you will need to roll despite apparent distance. Also you can chuck a throwing knife at them and check the hit to hit confirm delay to find out how bad or good your connection is.

neonbregna posted:

DS3 is real to me

"That particular game mechanic that the developers included and you used is unfair!"

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The first one is definitely just a really bad internet connection. Second one seems normal, I mean yeah there's "phantom range" but you just have to be aware that latency is a thing and that spacing isn't gonna be the same as with PvE. Third one is just a roll-catch; you dodged the red's weapon art but the host hit you after your roll ended. rip

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

My interpretation of this really isn't that the recipient is a sperg.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

you have to bow first or else it isn’t a real jedi duel

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

neonbregna posted:

DS3 is real to me

This is true victory.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
That guy is real mad, but if you summoned him with a red sign you generally shouldn't estus during the fight. Still doesn't make that hatemail less hilarious.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

lambskin posted:

That guy is real mad, but if you summoned him with a red sign you generally shouldn't estus during the fight. Still doesn't make that hatemail less hilarious.

Says who? Bruh this is the world where the gods have been burning humanity in other to ensure their continued supremacy

gently caress rules, crushing other sentient creatures in order to absorb their power is all that matters

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

KingSlime posted:

Says who? Bruh this is the world where the gods have been burning humanity in other to ensure their continued supremacy

gently caress rules, crushing other sentient creatures in order to absorb their power is all that matters

Just a courtesy for the people you summon, since they get half the estus. But yeah rip and tear all you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

lambskin posted:

they made perfectly flat featureless arenas for people who believe this nonsense

in a better game invaders would get an amount of estus equal to the host's at the time of invasion (or just a full flask if the host has phantoms) but that's on the devs for being weenies, not on hosts.

as a host you should grasp every single advantage open to you, whether you're invading or summoning reds or whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 31, 2018