Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie is a saluki/maybe greyhound, maybe whippet cross but yeah it’s kinda weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah greyhound sitting is weird so I never taught Abby. She just does the sphinx pose.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I never taught Bonnie it either, she just does it sometimes :shrug:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

actionjackson posted:

Yeah greyhound sitting is weird so I never taught Abby. She just does the sphinx pose.

Gannon is the same either lying down, sphinx pose or just standing around awkwardly.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

my greyhound sometimes sits like that on the couch, but it always eventually turns into sprawling across the entire couch.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I taught mine down but didn't do sit because it's awkward for them. One is so lazy she started sitting anyway because it was easier - so I just went with it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
There are a lot of very good boys and girls in this thread :kimchi:

Spartacus will sit sometimes when he’s trying to beg food, don’t have a picture of it yet though. I’ll add it if I get one. In the meantime, have a photo and video dump

What are you doing Sparty that’s gross you’re gross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULIOycxRm_k

V. self restraint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TarNw-jUgsk

Couch cuties

Paint me like one of your French girls

Also included for your consideration:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

spartie is my favourite shithead in this whole thread :3:

(i hope you don’t mind me calling him a shithead it’s the most affectionate word i can think of for the glorious personality quirks that longbois have)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
As someone who loves biking and then got a greyhound, this explains a lot.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

So uh, not that I object or anything, but why have you posted the same photo of a greyhound twice? :confused:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There's clearly a red bandana on the right one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

spartie is my favourite shithead in this whole thread :3:

(i hope you don’t mind me calling him a shithead it’s the most affectionate word i can think of for the glorious personality quirks that longbois have)

Aww, in a thread full of such good bois and girls that means a lot, thank you! It’s ok we call him a shithead too. Lots of worse things, too.

Basically all our verbal abuse, really

(he deserves it)

((he’s still a good boy))

(((Just a really crappy one)))

Cookie of course is our perfect angel and favorite dog-child and can do no wrong

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Speaking of favourite dog children, have a photo of Gello being a Very Serious Dog.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh my goodness what a cutie :3:

Per our conversation about sitting. Here he’s begging to start dinner early (also he got his nails did; the bandanna says “gobble until you wobble”)

Bonus

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 6, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha, I've gotta get a bandanna/bib like that! :D

Also, I was at work earlier and Tazo's yoghurt addiction happened to come up during a conversation. (He's always enjoyed licking out yoghurt containers - it's one of his favourite pastimes!) But yeah, so later on in the day my colleague whipped out a big ol' pot of yoghurt which he had been eating, then gave it to me while I was heading home.
Needless to say, Tazo loved it - and that colleague of mine now has a 'greyt' new best friend! :D

Unfortunately for those bearing witness to him slurping and gulping down yoghurt, he's quite a messy eater. Thankfully he tries to clean his face afterwards, but as you can probably tell there are some areas that his tongue just can't reach, haha

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

all bandanas confer a +1 bonus to Cute

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

all bandanas confer a +1 bonus to Cute

I'm convinced. Time to go bandana shopping.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gotta try that yoghurt trick

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ElectricSheep posted:

Thanks - and no harm, no foul so don't worry about feeling the need to apologize. I don't parse intent well on 2 hours of sleep, and I was already feeling a bit lovely about how quickly everything progressed from "oh, maybe he's just stressed" to major surgery so that probably bled through in my own tone.

We got to visit him twice post-op; the first time he was scared of us and shied away from everything, eventually warming back up to us and laying down. It was sucky, but I understood that 12 hours after surgery he was probably zonked out on meds. A nurse was watching his telemetry from the back and said she noticed his heart rate go down for the first time since pre-op. We went back 6 hours later to visit again and talk to his vet, and according to the office staff he calmed down after that second visit and stayed that way until today when we picked him up.

Second visit yesterday, you can see the wrap with all his telemetry gear. The look is a combination of "get me out of here" and "i need pee". one of those wishes came true 2 seconds later

Cone of shame, I laughed for like a solid minute because I'm an rear end in a top hat

His current state. He was super happy to see me bring his bed downstairs from where he normally sleeps with us, and crashed in an instant.

So far all's well that ends well. Now it's tons of medication and monitoring. I feel like I've had this dog for years, but it's only been 9 days. He's pretty cool :kimchi:

I'm here FROOOOMMMM THE PAAAAASSSTTTT

no seriously, I didn't want to post about my dog because of all the poo poo he'd gone through as evidenced from this June 2016 post (wtf) and I was just worried that posting positive things would jinx me. That didn't work at all. I think the last thing I posted was about his blood getting shipped off for lab work to see if he had nutritional absorption issues, and then I stopped because all the negative stuff felt like it was just building and building.

A quick summary of what happened that year:

- splenic torsion and surgery within a week of adoption
- huge weight loss during recovery (he went from ~75 to 67 pounds in two weeks)
- blood tests that showed no signs of absorption issues, pointing to potential allergies
- holy poo poo, he's allergic to chicken which is in like every loving thing
- feed this rear end in a top hat z/d which is hydrolyzed so as to not trigger food allergies which is like $90 a bag

Oh, and as per one of my last posts when I mentioned that he was attached at the hip to me:

- there was clear separation anxiety which led to us discovering no, he does NOT like that beautiful crate you saw in those pictures
- did you know a greyhound can break out of and destroy a crate? I do
- hey do you like that couch? yeah, he didn't like that one, or the other one either
- oh ok, that's urine everywhere, like a LOT of urine

But as with all things, we began to understand him just as he started to understand us. He's not much for tricks, but he knows the practical stuff - he'll put on his own leash if you offer it to him. He'll come and get either of us if he wants into the bedroom and tries to lead us where he wants us, kind of like Lassie except he'd let Timmy die in a well if he could take our bed in exchange. He loves going to the park when it's not too hot (rare right now) and he's got a greyhound friend and is obsessed with a bluetick coonhound. He's not a snuggler or a kisser, but he'll do it when you least expect it and it makes those times that much more valuable. He seems to study things, too. It's weird - he'll insinuate himself into groups of dogs at the park and just seem to watch their behavior or watch the owner, and then he'll tag along for a time.

He is super vocal, too - he's got a big voice and will walk right up to guests, roofing and growl-talking when he thinks he can get a walk out of them. He does it when he plays too. It startles a lot of people, especially at parks, but he's just built for that. It's a complete 180 from the dog we saw in the greyhound kennel run, prone and forlorn with his mattress chewed to bits while all the other shelter dogs were eagerly wagging their tails and excitedly standing at the cage doors. His anxiety has tempered significantly - we can leave him alone when we go to work and will rarely, if ever, come back to urine. He's not a fan of nighttime, though. The last time he pooped in the house was during Hurricane Irma, but it was the middle of the storm and he held out as long as he could. I've never seen a dog look so mortified.

He's maintained a healthy weight since we put him on z/d, but we're working on slowly moving him from that to a novel protein diet - he's crazy about Zignature lamb, but his farts are death. Our vet suggested and gave us a 30-day supply of a probiotic, but we're going to ease into that like with everything else.

We found a fenced-in dog beach and took him for the first time on Sunday; as far as we knew he'd never tried to swim in water deeper than his height. He walked along the shallow part of the beach, then stood and watched one dog run and jump off a dock, ears up and forward in that studious fashion of his. He then bolted down the dock and took a flying leap into the water. drat near had a heart attack until he popped up and swam along like he'd done it all his life.

So no more surgery pictures - two years later and I'd rather post a picture like this:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think that photo makes all the poo poo you had to put up with worth it. He looks so incredibly happy.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

What an update! You're champs for hanging in there for so long and helping him settle in and work through his issues. I'm sure he adores you.

I loved reading your descriptions of his personality and playfulness. What a big weirdo. :kimchi: It sounds like he has a very happy home.

Please share more pictures!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

What an update! You're champs for hanging in there for so long and helping him settle in and work through his issues. I'm sure he adores you.

I loved reading your descriptions of his personality and playfulness. What a big weirdo. :kimchi: It sounds like he has a very happy home.

Please share more pictures!

Basically all of this

We had problems with Sparty peeing all the time in the house, unable to make it more than four hours which made sleeping and working almost impossible. Vet detected high protein in his blood suggesting overtaxed kidneys, and provided a demo bag of prescription food to try. That greatly helped, but even with our income it was a sobering prospect. We tried another discount brand (still 4x the food we had been using, but at least not 20x) and saw no issues, so we went with that. Later, we switched his food to a Costco brand of the fish&sweet potato formula with good results, and it was affordable enough we switched Cookie to it too. We still have to watch his water intake, but it's much more manageable now.

Not that that is what's going on with your pup, but it's another data point that might help.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww, what a fantastic photo! I'm sorry to hear about all the hardship you two have been through, but at least he looks like he's absolutely loving life, now! :3:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

DarkHorse posted:

Basically all of this

We had problems with Sparty peeing all the time in the house, unable to make it more than four hours which made sleeping and working almost impossible. Vet detected high protein in his blood suggesting overtaxed kidneys, and provided a demo bag of prescription food to try. That greatly helped, but even with our income it was a sobering prospect. We tried another discount brand (still 4x the food we had been using, but at least not 20x) and saw no issues, so we went with that. Later, we switched his food to a Costco brand of the fish&sweet potato formula with good results, and it was affordable enough we switched Cookie to it too. We still have to watch his water intake, but it's much more manageable now.

Not that that is what's going on with your pup, but it's another data point that might help.

Well, I kind of glazed over it but here's how we came to the conclusion we've reached thus far (food allergies w/r/t chicken):

After our dog (his name's Dash) had his surgery, he was on a boiled chicken and rice diet. He was crashing weight off and lost 8 pounds in two weeks. This looks god-awful on a greyhound; I hope to never see it again. His stool was seedy and we suspected malabsorption, as we'd dealt with similar issues with our ferrets over the years. We took Dash in and our vet sent out for blood work which came back "negative", per his words. He asked if we might be able to get a copy of the biopsy from the e-vet, as they'd sent a section of the spleen to the University of Colorado for analysis along with other tissue workups (if I remember correctly - we have the paperwork somewhere).

When the e-vet had spoken to us, he said the biopsy results had shown the spleen was in torsion but assured us that "there was nothing else to worry about". When I got the actual paperwork from the University and read it, the splenic torsion was naturally front and center. Several lines down was a mention of elevated leukocytes present in the intestine, which was indicative of food allergies. The shelter had been feeding Dash Fromm, which had chicken as its primary ingredient, and they gave us the bag to finish; his stools had been disconcertingly loose but obviously this whole spleen mess came up before we could even get him in for his initial checkup. Between that and the boiled chicken and rice recovery diet, we put two and two together and brought our concerns to our longtime vet. He agreed with our hypothesis of chicken allergies and we put him on z/d, which finally settled his poops and allowed him to put on weight.

I was pissed that the e-vet on duty had not mentioned the entirety of the report to us. That's an object lesson to me (and it can be to you, dear reader!) to get ALL the paperwork you can whenever possible. This was two years ago; coincidentally, a few months ago a co-worker had mentioned they'd worked as a vet tech for this particular e-vet practice and warned us to never go back. The practice was/is apparently in the habit of performing unnecessary procedures to work more money out of cases, such as open-chest CPR on a dog that presented with no heartbeat whatsoever and then billing the owner for the surgical procedure. Now, I'm not second-guessing the splenectomy in the face of that biopsy report, and I'm fine with the fact they gave him a gastropexy while they were rooting around in there. Still, it was never really presented as an option. They may have saved his life, but I likely wouldn't go back.

Speaking of food, Dash thinks he's a cat:

He fuckin' loves tuna and can hear me open a can across the house. Thanks Pavlov

Caught him looking like a gremlin as he waits for one of us to come open the bedroom door for him

I caught him mid-sneeze a few weeks post-surgery. This is a total misuse of spoiler tags but I'll eat a sixer for the surprise comedy value.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Every one of those photos is amazing :aaaaa:

That's so frustrating about the vet but I'm glad you were able to figure it out for Dash's sake.

The food we've been using is Kirkland Nature's Domain salmon meal and sweet potato, I think it's $30/35 lb bag. It doesn't have chicken in it so it might be an option for you. Don't know if you have a Costco near you but it's been great for Sparty's poop. Considering how fast he goes through it it's been a lifesaver. It's not as nice as the food we had him on but his coat is still soft and he doesn't have pee or poop problems anymore so :shrug:

Also:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Please never stop posting Sparty pics he is such a photogenic lovable goof!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Thread relevant: there's an amendment to ban greyhound racing in Florida by January 1, 2021 on the midterm ballot this year.

https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Amendment_13,_Ban_on_Wagering_on_Dog_Races_Amendment_(2018)

It's kind of interesting to see how many in opposition to this amendment are owners of greyhound adoption agencies (though there are some in support of it). I get it, you're going to lose your livelihood in a matter of years if this passes. But I would have figured that adoption agencies would see some of the injuries these dogs incur running races and think that this outcome, while detrimental to the industry and adoption agencies, is ultimately a positive thing.

Dash has bony knots on a couple of his ribs, a scar on his nose and a chunk of his left ear is missing. Our vet opined about how he used to do work for a greyhound rescue and during spays he'd notice that the female reproductive organs had deteriorated significantly; he suspected steroids.

If it gets a lot harder for me to adopt another greyhound in a few years, I can deal if the trade-off is that the industry either starts regulating itself better to turn public perception around, or that it ceases altogether.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah honestly anything that cuts into the world producing a mass surplus of dogs in need of homes is an objectively good thing. A world where rescues are struggling with too many empty spots is a world I'd rather live in.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Florida has to have at least half the dog supply. They have what, 20 tracks?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
13 tracks, pretty evenly distributed across the state

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

ElectricSheep posted:

If it gets a lot harder for me to adopt another greyhound in a few years, I can deal if the trade-off is that the industry either starts regulating itself better to turn public perception around, or that it ceases altogether.

Having observed how much my two dogs absolutely loved running I will admit that there is a part of me that wishes the industry would just self-regulate better. However, I know that is an unlikely scenario. Hence, I prefer it get shutdown.

In terms of the US, I've seen greyhound racing slowing shrink the past decade and I've anticipated having a slightly harder time adopting. If there ever does seem to be a shortage of racing greyhounds, there is another option for those looking to fill their long doggo needs, albeit not practical for everyone. http://www.adoptagalgo.com is an American rescue that is rescuing Galgos(Spanish Greyhounds) and willing to work with folks outside their normal adoption area(Chicago). When I inquired about adopting in Texas they were open to the idea of adopting to me if I paid for the flight. Overall, it's not practical for most but for those that is possible, it's alternative. The plight of these dogs is just as gut wrenching, if not more, than those of the racers in the States.

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 28, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spoon daddy posted:

Having observed how much my two dogs absolutely loved running I will admit that there is a part of me that wishes the industry would just self-regulate better. However, I know that is an unlikely scenario. Hence, I prefer it get shutdown.

In terms of the US, I've seen greyhound racing slowing shrink the past decade and I've anticipated having a slightly harder time adopting. If there ever does seem to be a shortage of racing greyhounds, there is another option for those looking to fill their long doggo needs, albeit not practical for everyone. http://www.adoptagalgo.com is an American rescue that is rescuing Galgos(Spanish Greyhounds) and willing to work with folks outside their normal adoption area(Chicago). When I inquired about adopting in Texas they were open to the idea of adopting to me if I paid for the flight. Overall, it's not practical for most but for those that is possible, it's alternative. The plight of these dogs is just as gut wrenching, if not more, than those of the racers in the States.

Link not working some reason

Galgo rescue is definitely something I've considered for the future.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

Link not working some reason

Galgo rescue is definitely something I've considered for the future.

Bah, Maybe try with https? Here's the facebook page if that helps: https://www.facebook.com/LoveHopeBelieveGalgoRescue/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

spoon daddy posted:

The amendment doesn't ban letting dogs run. To my understanding it doesn't even ban all racing, just racing for the purposes of gambling - if you have a greyhound you can still participate in events like agility, rally, flyball. So they can run like they love to, but without the mass dog death and puppy mills.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dienes posted:

The amendment doesn't ban letting dogs run. To my understanding it doesn't even ban all racing, just racing for the purposes of gambling - if you have a greyhound you can still participate in events like agility, rally, flyball. So they can run like they love to, but without the mass dog death and puppy mills.

What mass dog death?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

They get severely injured on the track, they’re usually euthed. They’re not fit for rehoming? Euthed. I’d suggest that you google it but it’s kind of depressing. Even if it’s about 100 deaths a year, it’s 100 that wouldn’t happen without the gambling.

Any time animals are used for profit, there’s people for whom the profit will come before the welfare.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

They get severely injured on the track, they’re usually euthed. They’re not fit for rehoming? Euthed. I’d suggest that you google it but it’s kind of depressing. Even if it’s about 100 deaths a year, it’s 100 that wouldn’t happen without the gambling.

Any time animals are used for profit, there’s people for whom the profit will come before the welfare.

I'm familiar with the numbers. All I'm saying is there's been a vast improvement from before the farms worked with the rescue groups.

I'm no fan of racing, though I have no idea what the greyhound population would be without it. I would also imagine it contributes to their incredible health after retirement. Most large dogs have shorter lifespans and more health problems.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Off topic of the horrors of the track but is there any big difference in temperament between greyhounds and galgos?

I've heard galgos tend to be built smaller and can run longer/more agilily with a lower top speed but what about 'round the house type stuff? Just curious

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We took Jake and Barley to OHSO earlier this week. We we go there at least once or twice a month.

If you’re in the PHX area and you have dogs but don’t know about OHSO, check it out soon. It’s a small chain (4 locations) of brewery/distillery/restaurant. Extremely dog friendly, with treats at the door, they write your dog’s name on the water bowl, and no one bats an eye when your dog rests on the furniture. Dog amenities everywhere. Most locations have more patio space than interior space so expect lots of doggos to pet.

I think this photo of the waiter and our hounds says it all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
long dog racing officially done in FL by 2020

https://www.local10.com/news/elections/florida-constitutional-amendments

and now for Dash dressed as Elvis for halloween