Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah clearly the Hilux and Toyota are the only winners in this war.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Not available in the USA because no one would buy anything else.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Hey brown moses whats up with this?

http://exiledonline.com/shamiwitness-when-bellingcat-neocons-collaborated-with-the-most-influential-isis-propagandist-on-twitter/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Basically he's trying to make a huge drama out of it. Shami was one of a number of people on Twitter who used to dig through obscure forums and websites looking for different types of content. It's like how I focused on the weapons used in Syria, so people came to know me as the Syrian arms guy. Shami was dug up a lot of stuff from obscure Jihadist websites, and at first posted it without editorialising stuff or anything that raised alarms. So he was just another guy doing the thing a lot of other people were doing on Twitter, just on a different subject, and I thought he was an interesting person to follow, hence the #FF tweets. It wasn't like I was recommending him as an expert, just some people who followed me might find that sort of stuff interesting.

Then very quickly over a matter of weeks he really started turning into a supporter of Jihadists, posting sectarian statements, attacking Kurds on Twitter, and everyone got sick of him.

So one of my followers was a Channel 4 News journalist who saw all this, and decided to do a bit of digging into Shami. He discovered his Facebook page, and in the TV piece they hid Shami's real identity. Problem was, other open source investigation nerds figured out how he did it in a matter of hours, and found the Facebook page. On the Channel 4 broadcast they had blurred his photo, but it still has distinct shapes and colours that matched perfectly with the photo on Facebook page that was found. Then his identity went public, he got arrested, and the tankies and Assad fan boys did exactly what Mark Ames does in that article, and attempts to make out we were cheerleading Shami like some sort of expert while he was ranting about Kurds.

So effectively Mark Ames has taken that and turned it into a new article, adding his own bullshit, like the origin of my username

quote:

Higgins began his “open source intelligence” career under a misleading avatar — “BrownMoses” — as if Higgins, a doughy pinkish Midlands gamer, was some kind of swarthy Middle Easterner whose friends’ and relatives’ lives were at stake. Oddly reminiscent of a Mehdi Masroor Biswas pretending to be a ShamiWitness (Shami meaning “Syria”).

Note my reg date.

Of course, none of this matters to people who just want to be mad at me.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

quote:

Higgins began his “open source intelligence” career under a misleading avatar — “BrownMoses” — as if Higgins, a doughy pinkish Midlands gamer, was some kind of swarthy Middle Easterner whose friends’ and relatives’ lives were at stake.

Dang, looks like this guy cracked the case wide open. BM playing the long game

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, Ames has always been a way better producer than he's ever been a journalist.

I forgive him a lot for cultivating John Dolan, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This seems like a better discussion for the Left Wing Media thread, where Brown Moses`... whatever the opposite of fan club is. Hate club? Unfan club?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
BM: Brown Moses, that's a little too close to poo poo Moses. How 'bout if I'm Beige Moses? That sounds good to me, I'll be Beige Moses.
Lowtax: You're not Beige Moses. Some guy on some other subforum is Beige Moses.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Basically he's trying to make a huge drama out of it. Shami was one of a number of people on Twitter who used to dig through obscure forums and websites looking for different types of content. It's like how I focused on the weapons used in Syria, so people came to know me as the Syrian arms guy. Shami was dug up a lot of stuff from obscure Jihadist websites, and at first posted it without editorialising stuff or anything that raised alarms. So he was just another guy doing the thing a lot of other people were doing on Twitter, just on a different subject, and I thought he was an interesting person to follow, hence the #FF tweets. It wasn't like I was recommending him as an expert, just some people who followed me might find that sort of stuff interesting.

Then very quickly over a matter of weeks he really started turning into a supporter of Jihadists, posting sectarian statements, attacking Kurds on Twitter, and everyone got sick of him.

So one of my followers was a Channel 4 News journalist who saw all this, and decided to do a bit of digging into Shami. He discovered his Facebook page, and in the TV piece they hid Shami's real identity. Problem was, other open source investigation nerds figured out how he did it in a matter of hours, and found the Facebook page. On the Channel 4 broadcast they had blurred his photo, but it still has distinct shapes and colours that matched perfectly with the photo on Facebook page that was found. Then his identity went public, he got arrested, and the tankies and Assad fan boys did exactly what Mark Ames does in that article, and attempts to make out we were cheerleading Shami like some sort of expert while he was ranting about Kurds.

So effectively Mark Ames has taken that and turned it into a new article, adding his own bullshit, like the origin of my username

Note my reg date.

Of course, none of this matters to people who just want to be mad at me.

Ah okay so you were just easily tricked into legitimizing an incredibly influential foreign recruiter for ISIS because you didn't feel like doing the sort of basic research you get paid to do. Nothing to see here folks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sum posted:

Ah okay so you were just easily tricked into legitimizing an incredibly influential foreign recruiter for ISIS because you didn't feel like doing the sort of basic research you get paid to do. Nothing to see here folks

How influential was he?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How influential was he?

Two-thirds of all foreign ISIS fighters followed him on Twitter, per the ICSR, and he actively recruited for them. Also, the timeline Brown Moses gives is misleading, he was known as being pro-ISIS for nearly a year before the Channel4 investigation, during which Eliot apparently thought it was fine to pal around with him on Twitter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sum posted:

Two-thirds of all foreign ISIS fighters followed him on Twitter, per the ICSR, and he actively recruited for them. Also, the timeline Brown Moses gives is misleading, he was known as being pro-ISIS for nearly a year before the Channel4 investigation, during which Eliot apparently thought it was fine to pal around with him on Twitter.

Wow, messed up.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wow, yikes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
for some reason i did not realize mark ames hated bellingcat, although i'm not gonna say it comes as a shock

I'm like 90% certain I followed ShamiWitness when I was more active on Twitter, presumably for basically the same reason I occasionally read/watch jihadi propaganda through neutral-er outlets (ie, because it's interesting to know what the awful people are promulgating to their sympathizers). Don't remember if I ever retweeted anything though :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 28, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sum posted:

ISIS didn't exist when Shami Witness had a following as one of the few people documenting jihadist propaganda. About the time ISIS was gaining popularity and taking territory is when he started fashioning himself as a jihadist thought leader of sorts. It was pretty funny, honestly. I remember one episode near the beginning where he was crying fake news about ISIS taking sex slaves, then right afterwards, ISIS presented their argument for why they were allowed to take sex slaves, and he immediately went into defending the practice of sex slavery. He was already a running joke by then. Wasn't too long before he got exposed and landed in prison. It wasn't until after ISIS came into prominence that news about jihadists became a major market. In the leadup to it, there were only a few people posting their own propaganda on twitter. Aaron Zelin and Aymenn al-Tamimi are the only two I can think of that were at it from the beginning, or very near the beginning, but Tamimi was the only other person other than that wikibaghdady leak that were really getting any sort of insider info. Wikibaghdady was a dude with JaN doing propaganda for them, and Tamimi also had some controversy surrounding the ethics of his reporting. That was basically it. So it was either see what the jihadists were saying themselves, or turn a blind eye and let them operate in the dark. I don't think you'd actually have preferred everyone would've done the latter to an even greater extent than they already were.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Volkerball posted:

ISIS didn't exist when Shami Witness had a following as one of the few people documenting jihadist propaganda. About the time ISIS was gaining popularity and taking territory is when he started fashioning himself as a jihadist thought leader of sorts. It was pretty funny, honestly. I remember one episode near the beginning where he was crying fake news about ISIS taking sex slaves, then right afterwards, ISIS presented their argument for why they were allowed to take sex slaves, and he immediately went into defending the practice of sex slavery. He was already a running joke by then. Wasn't too long before he got exposed and landed in prison. It wasn't until after ISIS came into prominence that news about jihadists became a major market. In the leadup to it, there were only a few people posting their own propaganda on twitter. Aaron Zelin and Aymenn al-Tamimi are the only two I can think of that were at it from the beginning, or very near the beginning, but Tamimi was the only other person other than that wikibaghdady leak that were really getting any sort of insider info. Wikibaghdady was a dude with JaN doing propaganda for them, and Tamimi also had some controversy surrounding the ethics of his reporting. That was basically it. So it was either see what the jihadists were saying themselves, or turn a blind eye and let them operate in the dark. I don't think you'd actually have preferred everyone would've done the latter to an even greater extent than they already were.

oh yeah, that was one of the first ISIS-produced articles I ever read

it's, uh, a hell of a read

relatedly, going by that article Ames is a big fan of Tamimi :v:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

sum posted:

My favorite part is him telling the ISIS recruiter to just block the haters

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh yeah, that was one of the first ISIS-produced articles I ever read

it's, uh, a hell of a read

relatedly, going by that article Ames is a big fan of Tamimi :v:

Lol I'm old enough to remember when BM was getting criticized for posting Tamimi's work by these same sorts of people after Tamimi started getting pinned for a jihadist.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I also didn't realise my opinion of Shami was so important to Jihadists.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Brown Moses posted:

I also didn't realise my opinion of Shami was so important to Jihadists.

If the thesis you're driving is "Bellingcat funded by and/or are beholden to NATO stooges. NATO stooges prefer violent secatrian jihadis to other local despots.", it's a nice and easy gotcha to post tweets between the two buddying up on social media.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bellingcat only exists because Brown Moses very publicly exposed the CIA arms smuggling ring that was funneling weapons to the Syrian rebels from former Yugoslav states, so to accuse him of being some kind of jihadist supporter is hilarious. Also his name is from a Frank Zappa song.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sergg posted:

Bellingcat only exists because Brown Moses very publicly exposed the CIA arms smuggling ring that was funneling weapons to the Syrian rebels from former Yugoslav states, so to accuse him of being some kind of jihadist supporter is hilarious. Also his name is from a Frank Zappa song.

mmm it seems that the NATO stooges are closing ranks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Danish authorities are pinning an assassination attempt on an Ahvaz separatist leader last month on Iranian intelligence. This comes a little less than a year after the last leader of this group was shot and killed in front of his home in the Netherlands.

https://mobile.twitter.com/larsloekke/status/1057287671914160128

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Real nice of Turkey to start bombarding Tal Abyad and Kobane just as the YPG was preparing to send reinforcements to the hapless SDF forces getting their asses kicked by ISIS in the south.

In less serious news, remember Russia's aircraft carrier that was billowing smoke off the coast of Syria a while ago? It's still in pretty bad shape:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/31/europe/russia-aircraft-carrier-dock-intl/index.html

Following the disruption, PD-50 quickly became submerged, causing two cranes to fall onto the deck of the Russian vessel, leaving a hole measuring four meters by five meters (13 feet by 16.4 feet), state media Sputnik said.

Russian officials told state media the damage would not delay repairs on the Admiral Kuznetsov, which are due to be completed by 2021.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 31, 2018

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Brown Moses posted:

Weasel words

How much money did your journalistic integrity cost when purchased by the Atlantic Council?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

blacksun posted:

How much money did your journalistic integrity cost when purchased by the Atlantic Council?

You're quoting me talking about something that happened well before I was made a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, not even Mark Ames is stretching to make that connection.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/exclusive-saudi-dissident-prince-flies-home-tackle-mbs-succession-58983364

Oh boy.

Are we about to see the fall of the House of Saud?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The dissident prince is still a member of the house of saud, so no, what are you talking about?
vvvvvvvvvv yeah pretty much, also small reminder: the house of Saud is estimated to comprise 15,000 members, but the majority of the power and wealth is possessed by a group of about 2,000 of them.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 31, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am just a casual observer, but from here it seems we are seeing another business-as-usual round of jockeying within the House of Saud.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

The dissident prince is still a member of the house of saud, so no, what are you talking about?
vvvvvvvvvv yeah pretty much, also small reminder: the house of Saud is estimated to comprise 15,000 members, but the majority of the power and wealth is possessed by a group of about 2,000 of them.

Considering how hard he worked to consolidate his power over the past couple years, I wouldn't think MbS will go down gently into that good night. This could very well turn into a a civil war kind of palace struggle where he takes the whole house down with him.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's weird that, since 1953, all six kings have all been sons of the same guy. Not sure I could even pull that off in Crusader Kings 2.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pangstrom posted:

It's weird that, since 1953, all six kings have all been sons of the same guy. Not sure I could even pull that off in Crusader Kings 2.

That guy had 22 wives and 36 sons, so his decadence score was off the chart.

Agnatic seniority is pretty dumb, and was creating a problem where the kingdom kept having infirm or senile rulers, but it kept the power struggles to a minimum when everyone agreed on the way things worked. It remains to be seen how well Salman picking his sociopath son to rule is going to turn out, but so far things seem less stable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dow has recovered two days in a row.

God dammit.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Dow has recovered two days in a row.

God dammit.

I blame Fethullah Gulen

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

emboldened by trump and kushner running interference for them, Saudis are now killing their citizens on US soil.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1057649039859179520

cool, cool

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
SDF withdrawing from Dier-ez Zor to combat Turkish invasion in north.

https://twitter.com/dersi4m/status/1057653481081856000
https://twitter.com/RisboLensky/status/1057718453103157248

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Turkey gets a citizen butchered and all eyes are on saud. Taking advanrage of this they start softening up southern kurdistan.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Iraqi pmu and Shia militias are going to cross the border and take the areas vacated for Assad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Something a lot of Yemen War critics (such as myself) believed was that Obama was reluctantly dragged into a stupid and disastrous war in Yemen because he felt like he owed the Saudis one after the Iran deal (which is a dead letter now anyway, so great job even if that was the motive), but this seems to suggest that Obama was at least initially far from reluctant to see (and presumably assist) the Saudis take action there.

https://twitter.com/weinbergersa/status/1058052613399371777

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/USEmbassySyria/status/1058083403206197248

:ironicat: