Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
efb

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 12:23 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Brazil please don't elect a fascist.

During the Obama years I had to travel to Brazil for work that involved investigation of fraud. I was chosen because I have the most experience with this type of work and they needed someone who could be armed while working. Then I got a few lectures about how many institutions are corrupt and I should lie to anybody who asks me what I'm doing. I was warned that if the wrong people found out what I was doing they might try to take me hostage "or worse". The actual experience in Brazil was pleasant, until I tried to leave the country and customs opened a pelican case full of hard drives. I got to spend time in a room while I assume some goons went through my stuff. Eventually a guy comes in with the case and speaking perfect English with very little accent asks me what I'm doing in Brazil.
I tell him I'm just visiting.
"What's in this case?"
I tell him hard drives.
"What's on them?"
They probably already looked so I tell him they have encrypted data on them.
He says it's illegal to take encrypted data out of the country. I tell him that's not true. I shouldn't have said that because now he knows I know things and I'm not just visiting.
He leaves and comes back with my laptop and asks me to turn it on. It's full-disk encrypted and requires a dongle to unlock. The dongle had already been shipped out of the country so at this point there was no way I could possibly unlock the laptop or decrypt any data on those disks.

I'm starting to get nervous now because the guy looks irate and all I can think of is that lecture about getting kidnapped "or worse". I tell him I'm not allowed to do any of the things he's asking me to do.
So he says OK and packs up all the stuff and leaves me to sit for another, maybe 30-40 minutes? I have no idea how much time it was because there was no clock and they took the phone I had on me.

The same guy came back into the room like it was the first time, and asked me again like the first time what I was doing in Brazil.
I know he knows I'm not just visiting, so I tell him I'm there for work. He nods because he knows that's right.
"Who do you work for?"
I anxiously tell him that I'm not allowed to say. He doesn't seem upset by that, he looks contemplative like he's trying to figure me out.
"What kind of work do you do?"
I lie and say I'm a middle-man for two investigators.
He shakes his head disapprovingly and says "you're not leaving this room until you tell me where you were at [specific date-and-time]."
I've never been in a situation like this before so my anxiety is very high and I don't lie about where I was at. I tell him.
"You were at [redacted]? You were investigating [redacted]?" his demeanor changed, he seemed positive when he asked the question so I figure he wanted it to be true.
I was obliged to lie again, I said "yes". I was prepared to be arrested.

Instead he immediately gets on the landline phone by the door and calls someone. He's speaking Portuguese and looking at me every once and a while so I assume he's explaining the situation to someone. After a few minutes he hangs up and asks if I need the bathroom and he seems friendlier. After the bathroom trip we sit back down together in that room waiting for a phone call "we're trying to get you out of here" he says. 10 minutes go by (maybe?) and the phone rings. He answers but doesn't say anything, he was only on the phone for a few seconds before he hangs up again. Now he's smiling and he says "You're going to leave now, someone has your things outside." He unlocks the door and I walk down the hall. Someone is indeed waiting at the end of the hall with all of my things, and he very kindly helps me all the way through customs.

So that was my Brazil thing. Please don't elect a "not fascist" fascist it would not be cool.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ya know, when I open papers here and I think "Probably we should learn a bit more from US Press, I mean years of befuddlement and just getting hashtag resistance feedback from Jeff Flake is a bit narrowsighted" I didn't expect a Monkey Paw to curl its finger somewhere and answer that with "Actually what you want is Bret Stephens - esque "brain" "expanding" editorials from someone who ignores most of everything and blames whatever on the left AND STILL MAKES loving TRUMP COMPARISONS RATHER THAN DUERTE ONES". Yeah let's get someone who still doesn't admit that a coup happened to cover Brazilian Politics and pins literal mass murder as "Social Justice Concerns", you loving morons. Mans is right, this is the paper of note in Portugal and that's frightening. I look forward to Brazilian Chud Safaris, with our incredibly stupid as hell foreign policy reporters doing Tucker Carlson head nods at PinochetPepe64 and vague notions to "pwowoopiiishm and wwaackkwaawiiisshhmmm gaushed iiisshh"

Liberals hate Sociaists more than Fascists, folks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That bald gently caress Marcelo Tas says he's grudgingly voting for Haddad after he realized the boogeyman that his old tv show (Bolsonaro only became known because of his appearances on CQC) unleashed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also: https://communemag.com/the-parachutist-lands-in-brasilia/

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis posted:

That bald gently caress Marcelo Tas says he's grudgingly voting for Haddad after he realized the boogeyman that his old tv show (Bolsonaro only became known because of his appearances on CQC) unleashed.

Dr Abobrinha loving up as usual

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joaquim barbosa says he’s also voting for haddad, so he’s no longer a hero judge or whatever they liked to call him

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

joaquim barbosa says he’s also voting for haddad, so he’s no longer a hero judge or whatever they liked to call him

He had nothing to win by doing this. I hope he stays as a voice of opposition.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was listening to the news the other day and they said something along the lines of "the evangelicals in brazil are obsessed with family values so they're going to vote for a guy that hates black people and women" and it's like lmao i guess the party of family values is the same no matter where you go

Blast of Confetti has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Oct 27, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ciro Gomes can go get hosed and so can I for having voted for him. What does he have to lose in declaring his vote to Haddad?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Ciro Gomes can go get hosed and so can I for having voted for him. What does he have to lose in declaring his vote to Haddad?

He's a spiteful gently caress and my state voted for him en masse lol.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Oct 8, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well it's done. I voted.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Well it's done. I voted.

yep, let's hope it's not the last time we do that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

somehow have met two separate bolsonaro supporting brazilians in one week, both people i wouldnt really expect. made me think of this essay

https://harpers.org/archive/1941/08/who-goes-nazi/

Yeah this article is good. The ones I know who support neonazilike characters are usually insecure people with no sense of self or ability for kindness or successful but unprincipled people.

I've got a few people in my extended family or who were in relationships with them whom I suspect would turn nazi in the right circumstances. It's strange because you still love these people but it's very difficult to imagine successfully changing their minds or what it would be like should those circumstances really arrive and they would become active, rather than passive fascists.

Shibawanko has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Oct 28, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/castriotar/status/1055836519318122496?s=19

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope everyone enjoys the blueprint that brazil is laying down because when the climate refugee crisis kicks into high gear this is gonna be every developed nation in the world

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

To what extent is Bolso the result of failing social democracy? I always saw the rise of fascist parties in western Europe in terms of the familiar story of social democracy eventually dovetailing with neolib policies, leaving people disillusioned and confused and creating a vacuum that is then filled by something monstrous, but from my extremely limited understanding of Brazil that doesn't really seem to be the case there, or is it? Lula doesn't really seem like he was guilty of austerity.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Shibawanko posted:

To what extent is Bolso the result of failing social democracy? I always saw the rise of fascist parties in western Europe in terms of the familiar story of social democracy eventually dovetailing with neolib policies, leaving people disillusioned and confused and creating a vacuum that is then filled by something monstrous, but from my extremely limited understanding of Brazil that doesn't really seem to be the case there, or is it? Lula doesn't really seem like he was guilty of austerity.

Worker's Party that were in power for 12+ years became full of corrupt dipshits and drove this already lovely country further down-hill these last years. Lot of people are really pissed about it and vowed to never vote for them again, even if it meant voting for Bolsonaro

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

As much as I hold contempt for the Worker's Party history of compromise with the business class and particularly with Dilma's move towards austerity on her terms, I don't find them specially corrupt when compared to let's say, all the other parties and in fact their biggest scandal was... To get money and bribe the OTHER parties into passing their social democracy agenda. The problem was that selective media bias intended to boost the discredited center right neoliberal parties ended up boosting the far right since the neolibs are too disliked.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Plutonis posted:

As much as I hold contempt for the Worker's Party history of compromise with the business class and particularly with Dilma's move towards austerity on her terms, I don't find them specially corrupt when compared to let's say, all the other parties and in fact their biggest scandal was... To get money and bribe the OTHER parties into passing their social democracy agenda. The problem was that selective media bias intended to boost the discredited center right neoliberal parties ended up boosting the far right since the neolibs are too disliked.

What are the media like? Mostly privatized or are there public channels too?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
If there is a Brazil in fifty years. It will be lead by a police state founded by a Mao like figure who will have either exterminated or exiled the top ten percent of its population.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

What are the media like? Mostly privatized or are there public channels too?

Massive media oligopolies like in the US but with even deeper penetration. The Globo group for example owns the biggest print newspaper on Rio and smaller newspapers in other states, the biggest open tv channel, dozens of cable tv channels, a widely circulated weekly magazine and an internet portal and their own movie studio.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The recent Radio War Nerd had the guest claim that the rise of Evangelicalism in Brazil was a deliberate attempt to squash liberation theology, does anyone have a good article on that subject?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

The "failure of social democracy" is broadly that they're unwilling to engage in class war, even if they're not per se corrupt like the PT was. The ruling class is constantly scheming to maintain the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie, and even being slightly inconvenienced by the left of center is intolerable.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cher/status/1056435084184567808

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's always been kind of fascinating to me to imagine what makes someone a fascist. I can't really empathize with the process in the way you can imagine how someone reaches other mental states. There are marxist and other explanations which are fine but to me it really does seem like there's something fundamentally "different" about a person who becomes a fascist that can't really be explained through class or social conditions or even upbringing.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

It's always been kind of fascinating to me to imagine what makes someone a fascist. I can't really empathize with the process in the way you can imagine how someone reaches other mental states. There are marxist and other explanations which are fine but to me it really does seem like there's something fundamentally "different" about a person who becomes a fascist that can't really be explained through class or social conditions or even upbringing.

much like in america, it's 100% about :angel: economic anxiety :angel:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Fascism arises when people are frustrated with having to negotiate with an increasingly complex world, and just want to pound it all into submitting to their will. If you think communists are like wh40k Chaos legions then of course killing them all would solve your problems. And if not then you can just kill, rape, torture, or beat up any other degenerate elements until society finally meets the standard of your own personal ideals. This isn't a "fundamental" difference in a person's essential essence or whatever, it's just a stunted stage of moral development. Fascists are manchildren who never let go of a might makes right mentality, and try to apply it to a modern world which is infinitely more complex than they'll ever be capable of handling.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well that's what I used to think yeah, but there are loads of people who have to deal with economic anxiety and impossible choices (myself and probably many people here included) and who would never become fascists. Those conditions can explain why they appear at some point in history but what makes someone, individually, more or less vulnerable to responding by turning to fascism? The answer to that is probably something like emotional maturity like you're suggesting, which is in turn subject to social conditions (the infantilizing culture we live in is definitely a factor), but it seems like that's not the only trigger, I can't shake the impression that someone like Bolso is to some extent born like that, or at least shaped to be like that in some very early stage in life.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Shibawanko posted:

Who Goes Nazi?

statim
Sep 5, 2003
So a date just cancelled tonight because "It won't be safe to go outside, people are promising retaliation"

Good times ahead.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'd just read that article when I posed the question, many of these characters are exactly like people I know.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

statim posted:

So a date just cancelled tonight because "It won't be safe to go outside, people are promising retaliation"

Good times ahead.

Go hog wild you two. Break stuff.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Shibawanko posted:

I'd just read that article when I posed the question, many of these characters are exactly like people I know.
Oops, forgot it was this same thread that someone had linked it recently, it seems relevant to so many different political situations now :(.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Class and gender explain a lot of it. Haddad wins easily among those who make a minimum wage or less, and ties among women. What is happening is that a bunch of center and center right people are ok with fascism as long as they dont have to pay their maids more and their kids have an easier time getting into a federal university.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I always take a book with me when I expect to be in a line for whatever, and just now I realized this is a thing Haddad supporters were doing as a political gesture and that's why one lady kept giving me the stinky eye.

Well, I did vote for him, but it is still amusing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

novo membro da lista dos comunistas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Welp, I was right and pundits are proposing sending Portuguese press to do Brazilian Chud safaris, in an exercise to be less judgemental. gently caress. Fuuuuuck!n!