Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Yes... ha ha ha...Yes!!!

Those wacky ball lightning company decks seem so fun but I ain't spending money on Groundbreakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I realize now that I messed up the timing, even with the Cascade trigger. I feel like I have at least one timing-related gently caress-up per where I get too proactive with instant-speed effects rather than being reactive. Definitely something I need to drill myself on.

I make this mistake literally every time I play versus decks with cascade in it, and it never stops making me feel like a dummy

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I realize now that I messed up the timing, even with the Cascade trigger. I feel like I have at least one timing-related gently caress-up per match where I get too proactive with instant-speed effects rather than being reactive. Definitely something I need to drill myself on.

The problem most players have is the exact opposite. I can't count the number of times I'm tapped out and they just pass the turn back, let me untap and draw and save my creature from the removal spell they think can only be cast at the end of the blockers step. Every time they cast something in my upkeep I ask them to explain to me why they can't just do that in their main phase (there's a legit reason to do that, but only sometimes); only one player has actually been able to answer that question for me. They just saw a pro do it on a stream and mimic that behavior with no actual understanding of why they do things....cargo cult magic!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, is there a reason the new Creeping Chill variants of Dredge are all running 4 Shriekhorns now? Is proc'ing Chill worth the deck building cost?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

So, is there a reason the new Creeping Chill variants of Dredge are all running 4 Shriekhorns now? Is proc'ing Chill worth the deck building cost?

It was already a card in some old builds. I imagine adding 4 0 mana, uncounterable copies of Lightning Helix is worth it, yes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

It was already a card in some old builds. I imagine adding 4 0 mana, uncounterable copies of Lightning Helix is worth it, yes.

Yeah. Some older lists were running 1 or 2 main. But in my experience, it was the minority. But 4?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

Welp, I put together new miracles. The prospect of durdly AK control mirrors is the most excitement I've felt for this format in a long time.

Ive seen multiple miracles players deck themselves in the mirror

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Some older lists were running 1 or 2 main. But in my experience, it was the minority. But 4?

The more mill the better

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The more mill the better

This guy gets it :v:

Other people playing Company decks- when is it appropriate to side of some number of CoCos? I currently run 28 creatures in Spirits, and in the case where I'm boarding out three or four of them to put in some non-creature SB cards, at what point does boarding out a Company make sense due to the lower odds of hitting a good Company? Or is a good Company strong enough in most cases where keeping four in the deck still makes sense?

E: Not just Spirits, but stuff like GW Company too.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 22, 2018

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Is it frowned upon to ask people with SCG Premium to post decklists here?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Is it frowned upon to ask people with SCG Premium to post decklists here?

nah people do it all the time you good.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

AkumaHokoru posted:

nah people do it all the time you good.

In that case, if someone can post the Arclight Phoenix modern deck GerryT posted, I'd love to take a look (I play bad fair decks in Modern).

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

This guy gets it :v:

Other people playing Company decks- when is it appropriate to side of some number of CoCos? I currently run 28 creatures in Spirits, and in the case where I'm boarding out three or four of them to put in some non-creature SB cards, at what point does boarding out a Company make sense due to the lower odds of hitting a good Company? Or is a good Company strong enough in most cases where keeping four in the deck still makes sense?

E: Not just Spirits, but stuff like GW Company too.

I've played company decks almost exclusively for the last few years and I've never sided one out. Your other non-creature cards usually go out instead (in this case path and vial). If you find yourself wanting to go below 28 creatures too often post-board, you should change your sideboard strategy. Bant spirits has some really great sideboard options (stony silence, rest in peace, counterspells), but your approach should be "which seven non-company non-creature cards in my 75 do I want in this matchup?".

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

In that case, if someone can post the Arclight Phoenix modern deck GerryT posted, I'd love to take a look (I play bad fair decks in Modern).

That card is $13??? Red mythic finally getting some respect apparently.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lawnie posted:

That card is $13??? Red mythic finally getting some respect apparently.

It was $5 a few weeks ago, Canadian, turns out that deck is really fun.

I actually built a different variant using the same discard/fiery temper shenanigans with a more burn oriented approach and risk factor as another card that can be discarded. UR for prowess creatures and snapcasters. It's super fun, and can be really, really grindy. Can't wait to get to play it more!

It's pretty incredible how many variants of the izzet spells sorta deck are popping up everywhere!

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Here ya go

Creatures (14):
4 Arclight Phoenix
4 Bedlam Reveler
2 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Runaway Steam-Kin
Lands (19)
19 Mountain
Spells (27)
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Manamorphose
2 Risk Factor
4 Faithless Looting
2 Lava Spike
3 Tormenting Voice
Sideboard
3 Dragon's Claw
2 Shrine of Burning Rage
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Risk Factor
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Molten Rain

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

"which seven non-company non-creature cards in my 75 do I want in this matchup?".

Thanks, hadn't thought about it like that before.

E: If anyone wants some cheap as gently caress deck ideas, some store in the Philippines did what looks like a < $100 deck Modern tourney and the results are kind of neat.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 24, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Reid Duke trying to figure out Modern Sultai by running it as a (mostly) Highlander deck-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-XUm7DAFs

It's a cool experiment but I'm not sure how much you can learn from running a singleton deck in a format with as much variance as Modern. Also he plays against Creeping Chill Dredge in round 1 and that deck looks real nasty.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

C-Euro posted:

Also he plays against Creeping Chill Dredge in round 1 and that deck looks real nasty.

I haven't played against this yet so I've just watched one game from the sidelines and read all sorts of nonsense. Do you think it makes dredge too good, or just another broken maybe tier 1 deck among other broken maybe tier 1 decks?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I haven't played against this yet so I've just watched one game from the sidelines and read all sorts of nonsense. Do you think it makes dredge too good, or just another broken maybe tier 1 deck among other broken maybe tier 1 decks?

Speaking as a dredge player, nahhhh. There are a number of match-ups that it just isn't good in. It is just a nice foible to some of the current hot runners (i.e. Humans + Hollow One decks). The metagame will shift to compensate.

Look at the SCG open this past weekend. Green Death's Shadow decks stomp over the current configuration just because their dudes are just too big.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think it's too early to say that it's too good, but I also think that Reid probably wins that first game against Dredge if not for Creeping Chill. People need time to figure out that version of Dredge since it didn't really have lifegain before.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Creeping Chill actually is a pretty unfair card tbf and if GitPro is too good for the format it probably is too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Creeping Chill actually is a pretty unfair card tbf and if GitPro is too good for the format it probably is too

It may very well be, but my gut tells me that if the deck does end up being too good then they probably axe Stinkweed Imp instead. Dredge would have to go back to Golgari Thug instead which is a marginally worse Dredger and a much worse creature to cast in a desperate moment. From my experience the tough thing about Dredge is that it can go from 0 to 60 in an instant, so forcing it to use slower Dredge cards would mitigate that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Creeping Chill may be strictly better than Siege Rhino

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Creeping Chill may be strictly better than Siege Rhino

It doesn't even die to Doom Blade.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

It doesn't even die to Doom Blade.

Can’t be countered

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm going through my collection and updating/streamlining some deckslists, and for decks that can reasonably pay 1GW, do you ever want to run cards like Rec Sage, Finks or Pridemage over Knight of Autumn?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elves probably prefers Rec Sage.

E: Also if you're trying to go infinite Finks is obviously essential.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 27, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rec Sage is better if GW is hard/impossible for your deck to produce. Pridemage is better if you're on a super aggro gameplan and against the X-moth Nexi. Or if you're like me and you have a Russian foil you really like.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

Elves probably prefers Rec Sage.

E: Also if you're trying to go infinite Finks is obviously essential.

Yeah, those and playing Finks using only green mana are the only cases I could think of. I think that regular GW KotR/Courser/Tracker decks just want Knight for the versatility.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
sometimes being able to chump two turns in a row has been more relevant on Finks than the lifegain has.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The format has already adapted to beat Dredge which is hilarious. Dredge is good but Rest in Peace is better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm waiting for the pendulum to swing all the way back and see Affinity destroy a couple GPs/SCG opens before people remember it still exists.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sampatrick posted:

The format has already adapted to beat Dredge which is hilarious. Dredge is good but Rest in Peace is better.

I learned that rest in peace makes voice of resurgence not "die". Guess it makes for easy sideboard when out: 4 voice; in: 2 rest in peace, 2 scavenging ooze

AlternateNu posted:

I'm waiting for the pendulum to swing all the way back and see Affinity destroy a couple GPs/SCG opens before people remember it still exists.

Affinity sucks to play against casually since it can run the table so easily game 1, and casually my group doesn't normally sideboard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

sometimes being able to chump two turns in a row has been more relevant on Finks than the lifegain has.

The versatility seems nice on Knight of Autumn though and lets you maindeck it easily probably(I'm not a company player)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

soon, the time of mono green stompy will be at hand

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

soon, the time of mono green stompy will be at hand

it already is

in standard

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

I learned that rest in peace makes voice of resurgence not "die". Guess it makes for easy sideboard when out: 4 voice; in: 2 rest in peace, 2 scavenging ooze

It also can screw up Arcbound Ravager/Worker triggers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shooting for some LGS/who the gently caress knows meta here:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1435232#paper

I don't own Bob any more and am not sure I'd even want to play with him right now...

thoughts on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShaneB posted:

Shooting for some LGS/who the gently caress knows meta here:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1435232#paper

I don't own Bob any more and am not sure I'd even want to play with him right now...

thoughts on this?

Nothing wrong with Rock but Jund is proving to be a little more aggressive right now. Basically figure tracker is a 4 drop, since you want to play him, then a land. So on t5 he maybe swings for 4 or 5 if you crack a couple clues, but BBE swings for 3 on t4 plus you get your card advantage right away. Bob is .... questionable right now, which is why a lot of jund builds have dropped to 3 copies. Jund still really wants another CA engine available aside from BBE. Thats why people have been experimenting with Risk Factor, Faithless Looting, Tireless Tracker etc.