Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

Is it still cold? Can't remember which dough you went with but kenjis NY pizza has a cold ferment and that requires some time at room temp

Yeah I’m doing Kenji’s NY-style recipe.

According to my thermometer it’s 76° right now, so basically room temp.

It’s pretty firm.

EDIT: I should also mention that I don’t have a food processor. I mixed this dough using a hand mixer because it was the only thing I had with (something resembling) a dough hook. Not sure how that affects things.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The pizza Bible recipe is far better than kenjis for new York style.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/master-dough-with-starter-51255340

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Should I throw this dough out and start over?

No, cook it and see how it turns out, then post results for great learning of mankind.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

I maaaaaay have overkneaded my pizza dough. It’s springing back when I press on it, but when I fold it it doesn’t really mix into itself, if that makes any sense; it’s kinda like folding doughy paper. It also tears when I try to stretch it (i.e. it doesn’t pass the windowpane test).

I was supposed to knead it once or twice, and I kneaded it... I didn’t count how many times I kneaded it but it was a lot more than twice.
It sounds like it is either too cold or underkneaded actually. Overkneading would mean you could run a rolling pin over it and create basically a cracker in practically one go.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It sounds like it is either too cold or underkneaded actually. Overkneading would mean you could run a rolling pin over it and create basically a cracker in practically one go.

I sure wish you told me this before I divided it and stuck it in the fridge. :(

I mean I guess I could take the balls out and knead them some more, but still.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Margherita from tonight!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s a good food processor for both chopping food and making doughs? I think I need to get one before I make pizza again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Cuisinart is good but you don't really need one

Try a no knead bread like Jim Leahy's recipe

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Or just knead it by hand? A food processor won't knead your dough anyway. If you really want a machine for that, get a stand mixer.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

^^ Them's fightin' words. My Cuisinart does an excellent job of kneading the dough, and made it significantly easier and faster for me to have pizza frequently before I got a mixer.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Happiness Commando posted:

^^ Them's fightin' words. My Cuisinart does an excellent job of kneading the dough, and made it significantly easier and faster for me to have pizza frequently before I got a mixer.

I've only ever seen a food processor used to bring a dough together quickly, then it's kneaded by hand. Does your mixer do a better job at kneading than your food processor?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've never done a side-by-side, and I'm using a different oven now than I was when I was using the Cuisinart. The quality of the dough balls was just as high, IMO, in terms of texture and gluten development. As to "better job", well, 60 seconds of kneading a two dough ball batch (~.5 Kg) was too much in the Cuisinart. I do a 5 ball batch in the Bosch now, and let it go for 5-7 minutes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Or just knead it by hand? A food processor won't knead your dough anyway. If you really want a machine for that, get a stand mixer.

It’s more for mixing the dough than it is for kneading. I can knead it by hand, yeah.

A stand mixer is probably gonna be too expensive. Plus we could use a food processor anyway.

Anyone have a link for this Cuisinart y’all are talking about?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of goon-owned pizzerias, Doom Rooster have you opened your own pizza place yet? You talked about it earlier in the thread and your pics and combos are always amazing.

ogopogo posted:

I'm curious about this as well, his pizzas are always loving amazing looking, and I'm sure they taste even better.

Thanks guys! I'm about 80% of the way to the savings I need to get going. Unfortunately, when I started saving there was 1 real Neapolitan pizzeria in town, way south. In the ensuing 2 years, at least 4 more have opened around town. So, going to be a lot more important/hard to find a location.

Still making pies, still loving it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've done purely food processor mixed doughs for pretty much all of my pizza making. About a minute in the food processor at most is going to be all you need. If you don't have a food processor at all it's definitely worth it for that, and it works great. Also works for pie dough, or, well, anything else you'd normally use a food processor for.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks guys! I'm about 80% of the way to the savings I need to get going. Unfortunately, when I started saving there was 1 real Neapolitan pizzeria in town, way south. In the ensuing 2 years, at least 4 more have opened around town. So, going to be a lot more important/hard to find a location.

Still making pies, still loving it.

Awesome dude! Whereabouts is it gonna be, do you think? I know you’re in Texas, but what city area?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meanwhile my first ever adventure in pizza making went fantastic. I made three unbelievable pizzas on my Egg and took lots of pics. Big post coming soon.

My only real gripe was with the dough. The dough balls didn’t stretch very well, to the point where I flattened them with a rolling pin before I put stuff on them, so the pizzas didn’t really have crusts. I kinda suspected this was gonna be an issue when I made the dough yesterday and couldn’t get it to stretch well without tearing (see here and my post at the top of this page) but now I know.

The pizzas were still amazing but that pissed me off a bit.

How do I fix this in the future?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I. M. Gei posted:

Meanwhile my first ever adventure in pizza making went fantastic. I made three unbelievable pizzas on my Egg and took lots of pics. Big post coming soon.

My only real gripe was with the dough. The dough balls didn’t stretch very well, to the point where I flattened them with a rolling pin before I put stuff on them, so the pizzas didn’t really have crusts. I kinda suspected this was gonna be an issue when I made the dough yesterday and couldn’t get it to stretch well without tearing (see here and my post at the top of this page) but now I know.

Stiff dough is probably either overkneaded (something to do with the gluten bonds become too tight from being overworked), or low in hydration. If you're hand kneading dough it's pretty hard to overknead it though, so you might be looking at an issue with using too little water (or dusting with too much flour during kneading), or the dough being too cold prior to stretching it.

If it's your first time with dough then it's probably hydration rather than overkneading by hand - I use a very wet dough (70% hydration, but worked from the fridge rather than room temp) and barely add any extra flour until i'm ready to stretch it out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Awesome dude! Whereabouts is it gonna be, do you think? I know you’re in Texas, but what city area?

I. M. Gei posted:

In Austin currently, would be here if we stay in Texas. My wife and I keep talking about Colorado off and on though. She's got less than a year left on her architect's license, so may look into Denver or Boulder. Gonna need to make that decision soon though!

And yeah, your nonstretchy dough sounds like low hydration. Not getting smooth and supple on the outside of the balls, and then not stretching well are both major sign of low hydration. If it wasn't sticky, you didn't have enough water.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Kenjis recipe for my dough recommends a minimum of 3 days in the fridge for cold ferment.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

In Austin currently, would be here if we stay in Texas.

Oof... yeah you got that new Cane Rosso location to compete with now. That might be tough.

Doom Rooster posted:

My wife and I keep talking about Colorado off and on though. She's got less than a year left on her architect's license, so may look into Denver or Boulder. Gonna need to make that decision soon though!

Well I hope y’all stick around in Austin, but good luck in Colorado if you end up going there.

Doom Rooster posted:

And yeah, your nonstretchy dough sounds like low hydration. Not getting smooth and supple on the outside of the balls, and then not stretching well are both major sign of low hydration. If it wasn't sticky, you didn't have enough water.

I don’t think it was a hydration issue. I measured out the flour and water on a scale and the amounts were exactly what Kenji’s recipe called for, down to a hundredth of an ounce.

I think it might be more likely that I overkneaded the dough. I mixed it with a hand mixer which was a poo poo tool for the job and that may have made things worse. The dough kept moving upwards into the beater hooks and getting stuck there just rolling in and out and all over the place, and there were all these little pieces at the bottom of the bowl that I had an rear end of a time getting incorporated in because of that, so I ended up mixing it for a good while. It was a mess. Hence why I’m looking at getting a food processor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pizza Time!

Crust: Kenji’s New York style (not sure why I’m linking this again, I’m weird)

Sauce: Kenji’s New York style sauce with these changes:
  • Doubled the garlic (and I’ll probably add even more next time, because garlic is awesome)
  • Added some fresh thyme and freeze-dried parsley
  • Added some anchovy paste (thanks Gwaihir)
  • Doubled the simmering time (I like my sauce thick)
The sauce by itself was wonderful. I’m totally using this recipe again.

Toppings: Buffalo mozzarella, grated provolone (the good poo poo), grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (also the good poo poo), kalamata olives, sautéed mushrooms, yellow onion, sweet red pepper (not sure what kind; they came in a bag), shredded basil leaves, pepperoni, capicola.

Some mid-construction shots of one.

The other two, just before cooking.

The finished pies.

Some “crust” (or what passes for crust in this case) shots cuz I know you guys like those.

A couple underside shots.

Dough issues and lack of actual crusts aside, everything was loving amazing and I can’t wait to do this again. The grill imparted a nice smoky flavor that was loving incredible. If you’ve never done grill pizza, you should try it.

(Sorry for so many pics, I won’t post near this many in the future. I’m just excited because this was my first time making pizza.)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t think it was a hydration issue. I measured out the flour and water on a scale and the amounts were exactly what Kenji’s recipe called for, down to a hundredth of an ounce.

I think it might be more likely that I overkneaded the dough. I mixed it with a hand mixer which was a poo poo tool for the job and that may have made things worse. The dough kept moving upwards into the beater hooks and getting stuck there just rolling in and out and all over the place, and there were all these little pieces at the bottom of the bowl that I had an rear end of a time getting incorporated in because of that, so I ended up mixing it for a good while. It was a mess. Hence why I’m looking at getting a food processor.

So, I was gonna say that even with measuring by weight, it might be a hydration issue. Ambient humidity in your area soaks into your flour and can swing a recipe by (in my experience) up to 3%, so if Kenji made his recipe in a place with high humidity, and you were making it in a much drier climate, you might need a good bit more water. Even type of flour affects how water is added. If Kenji were using AP flour and you used a 00, the 00 absorbs water better, so you would need a little more. Then I read his recipe.... His recipe is 66% hydration, which is a super wet dough. Even accounting for both of those things, it should have been plenty wet to stretch.

I still have a hard time believing it was overkneaded though. My dough typically spends a full 30 minutes in the Bosch, and I have never reached overkneading levels. How long did you wait between balling the dough and using it?

Whatever the problem though, your pizzas ended up looking drat delicious! Keep posting ALL the pictures. Those bottom shots are beautiful, and look perfectly to style.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

In Austin currently, would be here if we stay in Texas. My wife and I keep talking about Colorado off and on though. She's got less than a year left on her architect's license, so may look into Denver or Boulder. Gonna need to make that decision soon though!

Wherever and whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best, and hope that I can storm your restaurant or backyard for a pizza in the future :)

Pepperoni on the sourdough from the other night!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I had an interesting pizza. Halloumi and goats cheese with sucuk, a kind of spicy sausage. Definitely the best pizza made by Turks in Germany that I've had, would eat again.

I'm mostly bringing this up to recommend sucuk as a topping, if you can find it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

You didn't knead enough. expect 10-15 minutes of hand-mixing, brow-sweating kneading til the ball of dough becomes smooth.

You also don't need a mixer. Mix it all by hand. I just made a challah this weekend at a house with no power kitchen tools.

This took a good 12-18 minutes of solid effort kneading before the dough ball would skin and smooth, much less windowpane.

This picture says it all:

Another 5-7 minutes of kneading would have gotten you there. It's REALLY hard to over knead by hand, believe me.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
This is the best pizza i've made so far. simple dough with blended centos san marzanos for sauce and freshly made mozzarella. This dough came out great. I only mixed it up about 30 mins before cooking, but after the first rise it was super pliable and strong so I was really able to go wild while tossing and spinning.

GirlBones fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 1, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

First pizza on the steel I've made in a while (forgot I always set off the smoke alarms) and was quite happy. Sourdough, my first attempt at using a bigga over a regular old starter. Also first dough I've made in a while that I didn't do at least 10-20% whole grain. 1/5 of: 600g KA BF, 400g Water, 300g 66% bigga, 12g salt.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That looks loving incredible.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My Ninja blender has a dough speed, with a dough attachment that I use to make dough. The only issue is that the blender itself is small so I have to make sure I'm not over doing the recipe when I put it in there because otherwise it will stick to the top of the blender which causes issues.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
loving around with pickled veggies on pizza.

Pickled red onion, pickled garlic, herbed goat cheese, buffalo mozz, san marzano tomatoes, basil, sourdough

This was a 24 hour fermentation dough, turned out really nice and I'm not ashamed to say that I hoovered that pizza way too fast.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ogopogo posted:

loving around with pickled veggies on pizza.

Pickled red onion, pickled garlic, herbed goat cheese, buffalo mozz, san marzano tomatoes, basil, sourdough

This was a 24 hour fermentation dough, turned out really nice and I'm not ashamed to say that I hoovered that pizza way too fast.

That looks friggin delicious. What kind of oven/time/temp was that done with?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

plester1 posted:

That looks friggin delicious. What kind of oven/time/temp was that done with?

I use a woodfired oven by Pizza Party - the deck was about 850 and the dome was 1200+. It was about a 90-100 second cook time!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Somewhat rare Baking Steel sale. -15% off steels and griddles.
https://shop.bakingsteel.com/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Earlier I asked about good food processors for mixing dough, and y’all recommended a Cuisinart, but nobody ever specified WHICH Cuisinart. There’s like 20 different ones that do dough mixing. Does it matter which one I get? Are any of them better or worse than the others?

I know I can just mix dough by hand, but Christmas is coming up and I could use a food processor anyway.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have the DLC 10S Pro. Amazon claims it's 7 cup. I still recommend it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Earlier I asked about good food processors for mixing dough, and y’all recommended a Cuisinart, but nobody ever specified WHICH Cuisinart. There’s like 20 different ones that do dough mixing. Does it matter which one I get? Are any of them better or worse than the others?

I know I can just mix dough by hand, but Christmas is coming up and I could use a food processor anyway.

This one right here is basically the holy grail of food processors.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Buy whichever one they sell at Costco so you can return it if you break it, not that I've ever broken a food processor :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Father is looking for a pizza oven, but not as much as the pizza party. Anyone have experience with the uno, roccbox, or pizzacraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Father is looking for a pizza oven, but not as much as the pizza party. Anyone have experience with the uno, roccbox, or pizzacraft?

The uuni kinda sucks, imo. I think one can, eventually, make good pizza in it but I wouldn't buy one after borrowing it.