Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, the majority of my purchases of anything other than the big specials have been on one of their frequent sales - usually anywhere between $3 - $8 an audio. No way I could have listened to anything close to what I have if they were at full price, I just can't justify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

adhuin posted:

For those who miss Missy, Michelle Gomez is a regular on a new netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina:

EDIT: And she's hamming it up spectacularly!
SOLD!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I have the horrible curse of wanting to experience things in the 'proper' order and in the case of Big Finish 8th Doctor audios it got me bogged in Zagreus a few months maybe a year ago, yikes. Some day I'll go and listen to the Adventures that I bought at the same time, but between comedy podcasts and Netflix it never seems like the most interesting option. At least it sounds like I have a few years' worth of good episodes in my eventual future.

Fake edit: Oh, except looking now I forgot I bought a few other stories recommended in one of the threads here like Spare Pears and Ish. Maybe time to give those a try and find a plot summary so I can move on with the main range.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

adhuin posted:

For those who miss Missy, Michelle Gomez is a regular on a new netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina:

EDIT: And she's hamming it up spectacularly!

N’th-ing the recommendation for Sabrina. Threw the first two eps on before bed last night expecting the same vapid but enjoyable nonsense as Riverdale, but holy poo poo, it’s good!
Michelle Gomez is as delightful as ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This better be better than Doctor Who and the Space Spiders :colbert:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm still not loving the new control room to be honest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I'm still not loving the new control room to be honest.

Me either, but I did like that transition shot between the vortex and the console room.

Edit: Jesus Christ, Graham is the best.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 28, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ah man... Poor Graham.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's Ed Sheeran!

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Haha this so fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, they did the "slide a piece of paper under the cup" trick :xd:

Staggy posted:

Haha this so fun.

So far this is the best Chibnall episode I've ever seen and I really hope they stick the landing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well the ending completely fizzled out, drat.

Giant mutant spiders: great.

Funny quips and banter: awesome.

Ham-fisted political commentary that gets in the way of a satisfying ending: could we not?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 28, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The ending felt kinda rushed and I was waiting for TrumpRobertson to get some kind of Harriet Jones* style comeuppance at the end, but overall I really, really, really liked that episode. Especially "Yaz's mum" just wanting her daughter to be dating somebody, ANYBODY :3:

* Former Prime Minister

Bardeh posted:

Well the ending completely fizzled out, drat.

I guess we're left to assume that they dealt with the spiders in the panic room after the fact somehow, but they did just kinda go from "rear end in a top hat shoots the dying mother spider" to everything else is just fixed now in a heartbeat, which was disappointing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

The ending felt kinda rushed and I was waiting for TrumpRobertson to get some kind of Harriet Jones* style comeuppance at the end, but overall I really, really, really liked that episode. Especially "Yaz's mum" just wanting her daughter to be dating somebody, ANYBODY :3:

* Former Prime Minister

We know who she is. Yeah, I was waiting for that too, I can only assume that he'll get his in a later episode (possibly set during his campaign or something?). Overall it was a perfectly decent monster of the week episode, I enjoyed it. I'm also really glad I'm not arachnophobic, that would have had to have been a rough watch.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So wait, what happened to the killer spiders? Did they just lock them in a room, assume they've got the lot and call it a day?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Pretty enjoyable, but yeah did fizzle out at the end, and the poo poo-head CEO just walking away felt wrong. Pretty much every episode thus far has ended with an antagonist (or vaguely antagonistic in Ghost Monument), teleporting or walking away.

Nice to see a bit of development for Yaz, and Whitaker seems more comfortable in the role. Probably the best performances from the main cast so far.

Editing and camera work seems better than the previous episodes as well, a real nice flow between everything, and even the TARDIS as the end seemed to be framed a bit better.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So what exactly was the Doctor’s plan with the giant spider at the end? Just stand there watching as it dies slowly of suffocation? It’s kind of hosed up that the show apparently thinks this is a more merciful death than a gunshot.

Between this and the robots from a couple of episodes ago, this season’s anti-gun preaching has gotten really cringeworthy. I know the Doctor tends to dislike guns, but never to this extent, and several previous incarnations have at least been willing to work alongside people who used them.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

It seems like these four episodes have been an extended intro arc. I wonder if any of the villains we saw will be back in the end. Apart from Tim Shaw and maybe Krasko, they've not faced dramatic comeuppance.

Anyway, that was probably the tightest feeling episode of the 4. The Doctor's gun aversion felt handled much better here, as there was actually someone trying to use them as a lazy and cruel solution to the problem at hand. I'm the liking the dropping in of realistic-sounding scientific tidbits in the background of the stories. (I have no idea if real spiders hate vinegar and garlic.) Helps the whole thing feel more down-to-Earth and less like magic bollocks is constantly happening.

Jerusalem posted:

I guess we're left to assume that they dealt with the spiders in the panic room after the fact somehow, but they did just kinda go from "rear end in a top hat shoots the dying mother spider" to everything else is just fixed now in a heartbeat, which was disappointing.

I guess The President-Elect of 2020 delt with it after the others left. They probably didn't have much of a life span anyway, given the size of them.

Also "You're that bloke!" is such a great line. The characters were all really strong in this episode. I found it funny that Chris North was basically Trump but they mentioned Trump is actually the US President in the show's world and so his character has to be someone who's got personal beef with him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe her plan as stated was to herd all the spiders into a single location so she could then figure out a way to deal with them (or at least euthanize them, the researcher said "they deserve a humane death"), and the mother was big enough that they were going to deal with it as a group using peppermint tea to drive it in the direction they needed. Then that rear end in a top hat strides in and shoots it, declares,"This is what the world needs right now!" and storms out like he thinks he is the hero, which is complete anathema to the Doctor - as noted above, it's lazy and cruel and doesn't involve any thinking at all.

The episode suffered from a common Chibnall (for Who) problem where he kind of just wraps things up without actually wrapping them up (like in The Power of Three) but even with the sudden jump from dead giant spider to chilling at Yaz's place, I still felt this was his strongest written episode so far.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

why couldn't it be "follow the butterflies"?

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

So what exactly was the Doctor’s plan with the giant spider at the end? Just stand there watching as it dies slowly of suffocation? It’s kind of hosed up that the show apparently thinks this is a more merciful death than a gunshot.

I think once she realized it was dying and she didn't know how to help any other way, she probably just planned to try and calm it down and be with it until it passed as peacefully as it still could.

Sure, a (non-uplifted, and it didn't really seem like these were meant to be) spider probably wouldn't actually care about having company, but that's definitely still the kind of thing the Doctor, or at least this one so far, would do for someone when she can't help them, and the Doctor's long treated animals basically the same as anyone else.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Keisse J posted:

I think once she realized it was dying and she didn't know how to help any other way, she probably just planned to try and calm it down and be with it until it passed as peacefully as it still could.

Sure, a (non-uplifted, and it didn't really seem like these were meant to be) spider probably wouldn't actually care about having company, but that's definitely still the kind of thing the Doctor, or at least this one so far, would do for someone when she can't help them, and the Doctor's long treated animals basically the same as anyone else.

Suffocation isn’t a peaceful death, though. It’s actually really painful and terrifying, or at least it is to a species capable of feeling fear.

I can certainly see this being presented as an interesting moral dilema in a better episode, if it were presented as an actual dilema, but here they just had it happen to we could watch an rear end in a top hat character do an rear end in a top hat thing for cheap pathos. And he was an rear end in a top hat; I just think he unintentionally ended up doing the more humane thing.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 28, 2018

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Good episode.
As someone else said earlier I feel like this is the end of the intro - they are now travelling with The Doctor by choice (and apart from Yaz, good reasons).

When the guy pulled the gun on Yaz it annoyed me that she didn't say she was a police officer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

When the guy pulled the gun on Yaz it annoyed me that she didn't say she was a police officer.

I was waiting for that reveal and it never happened. Also the way the spiders were disposed of with a convenient deux ex machina didn't enthuse me either. But in terms of character development, it was a good episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It felt like a very Chris Chibnall episode.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mr Beens posted:

laziness on the part of the writers? they know that the show's getting exported to the USA where that's normal, and the domestic audience are raised on US imports anyway. so never bother acknowledging that there's no legal way for him to have that gun.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

I felt like I missed a chunk of the end, what happened to the spiders completely passed me by. Pretty good overall, but no mention of Metebelis Three!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OH MY GOD THEY KILLED KEVIN

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

I too enjoy giving strange people who have me at gunpoint a ready-made reason to pull the trigger

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

trouser_mouse posted:

I felt like I missed a chunk of the end, what happened to the spiders completely passed me by.

Feels like they forgot to broadcast the entire third act.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm a zoology researcher, everything in this episode is SCIENTIFIC FACT

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bradley Walsh continues to be surprisingly fantastic, Doctor's attitude to gun's continues to be even more arbitrary.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
That was fine. The plot was a pretty flimsy and some of the action beats needed more room to breath, but the character moments were great, especially with Graham in his house. So same flaws as the other episodes, but more pronounced. I like that the show is about people now and not convoluted puzzle box storytelling for the sake of being clever and to the end of delivering overblown self indulgent proclamations about the show itself.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bradley Walsh continues to be surprisingly fantastic, Doctor's attitude to gun's continues to be even more arbitrary.

Not...really? She's been fairly consistent this regeneration.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The bit where Ryan talks about "proper family" was really great. I love how they've developed Ryan and Graham's relationship, and while they finally did a little something extra with Yaz today I still feel like she's still lacking somewhat as a fully realized character. I really hope they address the balance because there is nothing wrong with the actor, but she's getting the short end of the stick at the moment.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

everything in this episode is SCIENTIFIC FACT

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bradley Walsh continues to be surprisingly fantastic

Yep this all checks out :hai:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not...really? She's been fairly consistent this regeneration.

A bullet in the brain is infinitely more humane than being left to suffocate and/or starve to death.

There are perfectly good reasons not to run around shooting giant spiders (namely, that you'd be running round shooting giant spiders) but all their stuff about dignity and humane deaths was a load of tosh, especially as these things had, unprovoked, attacked and eaten people.

Also rescuing survivors who have been cocooned ready to be eaten is such a common trope that it kinda felt weird when they didn't do it. That threw me for a bit too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The thing is, the “queen” spider was suffering an inevitable horrific, painful end and no amount of well meant palliative care on the doctor’s part was going to make things much better for it. Shooting it should have been a mercy.

The problem is that the person who pulled the trigger was a callous asshat whose primary concern was how this whole affair effects his chances of being the next Trump.

I’m not sure of the writers idioted themselves to this or it was deliberate but this is basically the case that the Doctor came upon the wrong answer for the right reasons and captain planet villain came to the humane answer with the most cynical of thinking behind it.

(We could also argue Ryan ‘shooting’ Racist Greaser back to the past, alongside the doc’s indifference to it, was similar in mindset, the right idea with nothing but anger (albeit righteous indignation in that instance) behind it, but I imagine that’s coming close to can’o’worms so that’s as far as I’ll take that one)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 28, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They were clearly refugees from the spider moon abortion episode and that's why the Doctor didn't want to kill them

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought the Doctor's problem wasn't necessarily that the spider was put out of its misery, but that it was done without mercy or kindness. She even said as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Definitely a 'we blew our budget last week' episode.

But I think that made it better.

She was more Doctorly than ever before and a much stronger character than previous episodes.