Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bowmore posted:

I would go to an anti cup event

Same, gently caress the cup and the celebration of getting boozed up while animals are mistreated.

However seeing the Australian male cricket team getting absolutely mistreated this coming summer is perfectly fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://m.facebook.com/DesHoughton/photos/a.115249818500987/115249961834306/?type=3

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shorten was never a member of the CFMEU/CFMMEU.

I wonder if the News Corpse media would be saying the same thing if Shorten was a member of the SDA.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

:discourse:

Newscorp is a goddamn centrifuge.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TAXES HAVE ONLY GONE UP UNDER LIBERAL UNLESS YOU'RE A GIANT MEGACORPORATION JACK

YOU rear end in a top hat

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

Mouhammad and Pamela Tabbaa are facing a million-dollar legal bill after they lost a major defamation action against the Nine Network over a 60 Minutes program which accused the couple of allowing the kidnapping of their 13-year old daughter Nadia, holding her against her will in Syria where she was forced to marry a cousin 15 years her senior.

In December, after only a day’s deliberation, a Supreme Court jury found that the claims made in the 60 Minutes program, titled “Forced Marriage: An Extraordinary Story of Kidnap, Survival, Escape and Hiding,” were substantially true.

Justice Des Fagan was scathing about the Tabbaas’ case and, after the jury delivered its verdict, he described Mrs Tabbaa’s evidence as “just absolutely appalling”.

The judge suggested the court should infer that the Tabbaas “colluded” with their son Omar “for the purpose of attempting to extract a damages award from what they perceive to be a wealthy media defendant”.

Mrs Tabbaa was ordered to pay Nine Network’s costs on an indemnity basis because the judge held she gave evidence that she knew to be false.

I don't know the story behind this - my gut instinct is to not trust 60 Minutes but if the judge has their head screwed on right this sounds like a good thing that frivolous defamation claims are being shot down?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Opinion: Facts of the Nauru asylum-seeker debate

ABOUT 50 asylum-seekers on Nauru have turned down resettlement in the United States.

Why on earth would they do that?

The answer is simple.

They want to come to Australia and are encouraged by doctors, advocates and others to turn down anything except Australia.

This is not a column about emotion, but one of fact.

This is not about having a heart or being heartless, but one that dispels myths.

Australians are compassionate, and there is growing community and political momentum to get children off Nauru.

But before a blowtorch is applied to the politics, here are the facts.

● Asylum-seekers on Nauru – and most of them have been found to be refugees – are not detained. They are considered Nauruan residents and can come and go as they please. They are not locked up after dark.

● Asylum-seeker residents on Nauru have a 20-year visa.

● The Coalition Government has spent a lot of money – tens of millions of dollars – to provide quality medical services. They do this because they do not want the asylum-seekers to come to Australia, because once they come here, they launch legal proceedings to stay .

● There are about 650 asylum-seekers on Nauru and 65 health workers – a ratio of about one to 10. In some parts of Queensland, including towns with thousands of people, residents have to travel for hours to see a doctor. The access to medical treatment is better on Nauru than in some parts of Australia.

● There are two mental health team leaders, 15 mental health nurses, three psychologists, two psychiatrists, three counsellors, one mental health manager, and two torture and trauma counsellors. There is one clinical child psychologist, one clinical team leader, one developmental occupational therapist, and one social worker.

● Intelligence agencies warn that if asylum-seekers get to Australia, people-smugglers will be encouraged to send more human cargo back into dangerous seas.

● There are about 50 children on Nauru. Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton wants them all removed from the island, and over the years has reduced their numbers. But, perversely, his success can undo the success of stopping the boats.

This is recent evidence to a Senate Estimates hearing from Home Affairs Secretary Michael Pezzullo.

Pezzullo is not some Coalition stooge. He worked for former Labor foreign minister Gareth Evans. He was also deputy chief of staff to then Labor opposition leader Kim Beazley.

He has worked as a public servant for Labor and Coalition governments, and he takes seriously the impartiality that is demanded of his high post. He does not play favourites but ensures he knows his brief.

It is uncomfortable for people to accept this – and some will refuse to accept it is happening – but here is Pezzullo’s recent evidence, noting it is an offence to mislead.

Asked about people on Nauru self-harming, he cited “people ingesting detergent, for instance, in order to cause a sufficient degree of internal symptoms”.

“There has also been the swallowing of taped blades and the like. We invest a lot of resources into ensuring we keep them as well as we can.

“Upon transference to Australia – and there’s something in the order of over 600 people here on temporary transfers – the law states quite clearly that when their period of treatment is concluded, they’re expected to return.

“So we try to make that clear to people. We don’t want to create a situation where people think medical transference to Australia is a pathway to residency, because that could incentivise these kinds of perverse behaviours.”

That means the Government does not want people purposely hurting themselves so they can come to Australia and then launch legal action to stay here.

So what about New Zealand? Privately, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has told the Australian Government she does not want to take single men. But there may be a bigger issue at play.

Pezzullo has warned that sending asylum-seekers to New Zealand without amending the law to prevent them from coming to Australia is a “live risk”.

Speak to any Defence Force member about what their lives were like before Operation Sovereign Borders and you’ll understand why so many grapple with life and the costs of their work.

They speak of the horrors of pulling dead kids from the ocean, and parts of their bodies too, including the arms and legs of babies and toddlers.

This is an emotional debate, but one side has been forgotten, and it is because of the success of Operation Sovereign Borders.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Queensland was once considered the "meth lab capital" of Australia, but in the last five years the number of home drug kitchens found by police has dropped by more than 50 per cent.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

No.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress off

gently caress OFF

gently caress OFF

FUUUUUUUUCK OOOOOOOOOOOOFF

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nauru is literally Disneyland the happiest place on earth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxoO3NR4ol4

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is that Vlado's, I've never been inside but I heard it has pictures of cows and no windows.

Anidav posted:

Speak to any Defence Force member about what their lives were like before Operation Sovereign Borders and you’ll understand why so many grapple with life and the costs of their work.

So expect the usual platitudes when the 4corners report describes how Operation Sovereign Borders broke them.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Every Cup there’s always a chance one of them little sickos gets thrown and crushed under hoof.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My Uncle is a renowned harness racing jockey/trainer and my cousin is an up and comer, from what I can tell harness racing is a lot less stress on the horses but I still don't like the whips and the gambling aspect

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

They've written multiple biographies for loving horses

These people are insane

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Whenever Offsiders start talking about horse racing it's so weird. They treat them like people and like they have any say in this stupid sport.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's seen as like honourable or some poo poo, the horses are athletes in their eyes

.....except when these athletes break their legs they get shot...

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

These people are insane
The hierarchy of Australian sports:
Men
Horses
Women
Dogs

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

Men
Horses
Women
Dogs
arguably some women sports are seen to be below dogs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

In the NRL dogs rate higher than women

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whenever Offsiders start talking about horse racing it's so weird. They treat them like people and like they have any say in this stupid sport.

Offsiders on Sunday was funny cos they had some journo who's not usually on there, and he was just not into the Melbourne Cup or horse racing in general at all.
They still bullshitted on about it for ages

Also I like Gerard Whateley, but he wanted to gently caress Black Caviar so bad.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

bowmore posted:

arguably some women sports are seen to be below dogs

Considering the amount of support greyhound racing continues to receive in NSW, I'd go with women's sport being below dogs in that list.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

100%

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

:wow:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

Also I like Gerard Whateley, but he wanted to gently caress Black Caviar so bad.

Yeah, just... yeah

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

snoremac posted:

Men
Horses
Sharks
Women
Dogs

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

You Am I posted:

Same, gently caress the cup and the celebration of getting boozed up while animals are mistreated.

However seeing the Australian male cricket team getting absolutely mistreated this coming summer is perfectly fine with me.
I don't support the abuse of any dumb animals, even David Warner.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

I don't support the abuse of any dumb animals, even David Warner.

The petition to bring them back early is hilarious. If it were any other countries players we'd be baying for their blood for the next 100 years.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

These people are insane

stop loving melting down and using italics

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://twitter.com/DrRimmer/status/1054964517862563843?s=20

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

stop loving melting down and using italics

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
using italics just returns us to the days of kislerger kid or however the gently caress you spell his name

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

More like 'the labour party does not oppose Liberal proposed internet filters' - still poo poo but both parties are just as bad on that. Seems a little bipartisan to only label one of them

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

using italics just returns us to the days of kislerger kid or however the gently caress you spell his name

italics has the stink of tvtropes and reddit

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

yeah bold things imo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SIR, italics are motherloving epic bacon for the win and I will not allow you to slander them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't mind the way MMG used italics but I hate when they're used as a twist following a description. Like "Red Dead Redemption 2 starts predictably with blah blah blah in the American West blah blah blah. And then the world opens up."

• Locked thread