Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Xaris posted:

ah i guess im still stuck in 2000 and think that all it is is a lovely linux distro that no one liked

i dont touch computers fora living so i really idk anything about it

the secfuck thread recommends RedHat so I've formed the impression that it's the Linux you use when you want the fewest clowns in your show. well that or Cent if you don't want support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Xaris posted:

self checkouts own bc you can it’s alll big corps that use those poo poo and you can ring up a $10 block of nice cheese for a 1.50 block of cream cheese

also no more special organic markup pricing bc the organic bananas are ripe and the others are worthless green trash still

other than that they are bad and basically an excuse for Safeway to understaff and have 1 loving checkout lane open during peak shopping time with a line that extends to the back of the store because muh hedge fund profits

Here in Netherlands, the biggest chain Albert Heijn has started to add self check-out to all of its stored and the way the deter cheese fraud is by randomly selecting people for a control from an employee that triggers upon wanting to pay and the system locks so you can't go back and undo your crimes.

i suppose you could feign stupidity but i am not in a position to test my luck

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Puppet Master posted:

its ok you're good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
here in canada the walmart self checkout has a split screen display showing you beside the items you scan with a flashing text overlay that says *YOU ARE BEING FILMED* (with the asterisks)

one of the many reasons I avoid walmart

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cold on a Cob posted:

here in canada the walmart self checkout has a split screen display showing you beside the items you scan with a flashing text overlay that says *YOU ARE BEING FILMED* (with the asterisks)

This poo poo bothers me because there ain’t any film involved. It’s all digital. I’m sure that was the primary point you were trying to make and I’m glad we could bond over this amazing insight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kobayashi posted:

This poo poo bothers me because there ain’t any film involved. It’s all digital. I’m sure that was the primary point you were trying to make and I’m glad we could bond over this amazing insight.

i've always wondered if anyone else still imagines an old rotary dial monster if i were told to 'draw a telephone'

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
poo poo it might have said *YOU ARE BEING RECORDED* i just remember the asterisks and the flashing text mostly

i usually don’t use self checkout tho and hate Walmart so it’s been awhile

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Puppet Master posted:

same. none of my stupidity is feigned.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

President Beep posted:

same. none of my stupidity is feigned.

likewise, every stupid thing I do is artisanal and authentic

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Bespoke Buffoonery

be sure to check out my etsy store y’all.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cold on a Cob posted:

poo poo it might have said *YOU ARE BEING RECORDED* i just remember the asterisks and the flashing text mostly

i usually don’t use self checkout tho and hate Walmart so it’s been awhile

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steal everything you can from Walmart. It's a mitzvah. Thanks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Rona all have the same thing with their self checkouts. it says “RECORDING IN PROCESS”. however, a lot of the self checkouts also have another flashing message that says “SD CARD NOT PRESENT”

the Home Depot self checkouts have a really sensitive scale built into them that alerts you if you’ve put an item into the bagging area that wasn’t scanned or doesn’t match the weight of the item that was scanned.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

but if it’s a fake dummy camera...........

:thunk:

Apr 7, 2003

none of the self-checkouts here say that. Love to steal organic poo poo.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Steal everything you can from Walmart. It's a mitzvah. Thanks.

walmart absolutely deserves to get ripped off. it’s not like they’d pay their employees more if there was no loss.

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

walmart absolutely deserves to get ripped off. it’s not like they’d pay their employees more if there was no loss.

Their employees are the primary source of loss, like any big retailer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i suppose there’s a point where a business could be small enough that perhaps you shouldn’t steal from it, and I’m not sure where that line is, but i do know that walmart is waaay above the bar.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

the Home Depot self checkouts have a really sensitive scale built into them that alerts you if you’ve put an item into the bagging area that wasn’t scanned or doesn’t match the weight of the item that was scanned.

all of them do, its super infuriating when you e.g. try to buy a loaf of freshly baked bread

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

President Beep posted:

i suppose there’s a point where a business could be small enough that perhaps you shouldn’t steal from it

when the business has no employees without ownership shares, and the business provides no profit beyond that which is necessary for the sustenance of the owners in an average life style

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

i suppose there’s a point where a business could be small enough that perhaps you shouldn’t steal from it, and I’m not sure where that line is, but i do know that walmart is waaay above the bar.

I don't know why Amazon gets so much attention nowadays, Walmart is twice as large as Amazon and then some.

They're both poison, but let's start with the big one first.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

target doesn’t seem to weigh anything anymore. like you can scan a case of water and put it back in the cart and it doesn’t care

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

when the business has no employees without ownership shares, and the business provides no profit beyond that which is necessary for the sustenance of the owners in an average life style

yeah, that’s a good baseline.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

target doesn’t seem to weigh anything anymore. like you can scan a case of water and put it back in the cart and it doesn’t care
I think a lot of chains disabled the weighing part and switched to having an employee monitoring all the self checkout registers by video or something. If self checkout is too slow and/or requires too much manual assistance from employees it ends up being pointless.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

I think a lot of chains disabled the weighing part and switched to having an employee monitoring all the self checkout registers by video or something. If self checkout is too slow and/or requires too much manual assistance from employees it ends up being pointless.

lol much like your posting

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Munkeymon posted:

the secfuck thread recommends RedHat so I've formed the impression that it's the Linux you use when you want the fewest clowns in your show. well that or Cent if you don't want support

yeah RHEL is generally the Serious Business OS if whatever it is you're building is actually important

also:
this game is real loving good and is solidly in the 'worth checking out' category

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

^^ what game issat?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Rona all have the same thing with their self checkouts. it says “RECORDING IN PROCESS”. however, a lot of the self checkouts also have another flashing message that says “SD CARD NOT PRESENT”

I've seen them in the aisles at Home Depot too - and they make an annoying chime to remind you they're now watching. went to one where there was one in front of the circuit breakers. drill bits and saw blades I get are probably stolen often but circuit breakers?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kobayashi posted:

This poo poo bothers me because there ain’t any film involved. It’s all digital.
While this is technically correct, it is something of a mooed point.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Munkeymon posted:

^^ what game issat?

night in the woods

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it’s a lovely game about talking animals in a cozy small town experiencing the dawning horror of how capitalism has failed them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Just wait until you find out about "dialing" phone numbers and phones "ringing".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

^^ what game issat?

I've seen them in the aisles at Home Depot too - and they make an annoying chime to remind you they're now watching. went to one where there was one in front of the circuit breakers. drill bits and saw blades I get are probably stolen often but circuit breakers?

Circuit breakers are expensive

The Homes Depot around here not only have the self-checkout cameras, and the aisle cameras, and the flashing alarm motion sensor lights when you walk up to the drill bits, but on the aisle camera monitors they've started putting a little picture-in-picture with some stock footage of a security guard watching a bunch of camera feeds in the corner of the screen. It's obviously fake because it loops after like 30 seconds. lomarfio

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my local fred meyer grocery has some annoying screens in most of the non-food aisles that blink and flash and beep and show YOU ARE BEING RECORDED!!!! and i hate it and don't want to shop there any more

gently caress u fred meyer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know the statistics but I could believe that shoplifting is on the rise as more and more people are squeezed out of existence

In the 20 seconds it took me to type that, Jeff Bezos made $25,000

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

in japan, some olds shoplift so they can go to jail/prison where they have guaranteed food and lodging

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
regular reminder that billionaires do not create wealth, nor do they earn it, but instead steal it from the workers of the world

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

regular reminder that billionaires do not create wealth, nor do they earn it, but instead steal it from the workers of the world

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the world is dying lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Penisface posted:

in japan, some olds shoplift so they can go to jail/prison where they have guaranteed food and lodging

happens in the US too but generally not the elderly because they'd probably die faster in prison care