Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Kazanski posted:

It's bullshit when you go to someone's house and they ask you to take your shoes off when you enter. I always do it, but it really pisses me off.

a) Your house isn't that nice

b) "My house, my rules." This makes the false assumptions that 1) I want to be here (I probably don't, especially if you're one of these assholes) and 2) I have the choice to leave if I don't like it. 2) is technically true, but then somehow I'm the one that looks ridiculous, when it's your asinine rules that got us here in the first place.

c) "Why are you turning this into a big thing?" Why are you? Have you ever noticed 95% of the time when you go to someone's house they don't force you to take your shoes off? And somehow their floors aren't dirty/ruined/whatever-the-gently caress-it-is-you're-worried-about? YOU are the one causing issues. Maybe I have on dirty/weird socks or haven't trimmed my toenails in a while and am embarrassed. Maybe I don't want to walk around your house barefoot. Maybe I just don't feel like taking my drat shoes off and it's none of your business.

Counterpoint, come to Finland. Everyone takes off their shoes, and if you don't you are a very rude. You are dragging in sleet, snow, disease, unrest. Please leave it at the door, or even better, the room of stairs, or the boiler room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kazanski posted:

b) "My house, my rules." This makes the false assumptions that 1) I want to be here (I probably don't, especially if you're one of these assholes)

If you do not want to be there get the gently caress out, and do not bring your poo poo shoes or poo poo attitude in my abode. Also do not bring your poo poo person in my house.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazanski posted:

It's bullshit when you go to someone's house and they ask you to take your shoes off when you enter. I always do it, but it really pisses me off.

b) "My house, my rules." This makes the false assumptions that 1) I want to be here (I probably don't, especially if you're one of these assholes) and 2) I have the choice to leave if I don't like it. 2) is technically true, but then somehow I'm the one that looks ridiculous, when it's your asinine rules that got us here in the first place.

c) "Why are you turning this into a big thing?" Why are you? Have you ever noticed 95% of the time when you go to someone's house they don't force you to take your shoes off? And somehow their floors aren't dirty/ruined/whatever-the-gently caress-it-is-you're-worried-about? YOU are the one causing issues. Maybe I have on dirty/weird socks or haven't trimmed my toenails in a while and am embarrassed. Maybe I don't want to walk around your house barefoot. Maybe I just don't feel like taking my drat shoes off and it's none of your business.

lmao way to poo poo on other people's cultures, be a dick about it, and signal to us all you have poor hygiene issues all at the same time. Masterful troll post.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you can't use chopsticks then you have failed at everything

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Kazanski posted:

Holy gently caress this is the wrongest take of all wrong takes. Don't drag your poo poo into my house. Do you know the dirtiest surface that you contact regularly? The floor of your car. What touches it? Your shoes.

If your belly gets in the way of bending over to unlace them, that's not my fault.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The act of taking of your shoes is in part symbolic. You are entering a home into which you have been invited. Behind you is the cold dark. You take off your shoes to signal, I am entering a place of peace. You would enter a home with your shoes on, asking no permission, if you were a robber, a rapist.

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
I'll do one reply. To all, my hygiene is fine, thanks.

doverhog posted:

Counterpoint, come to Finland. Everyone takes off their shoes, and if you don't you are a very rude. You are dragging in sleet, snow, disease, unrest. Please leave it at the door, or even better, the room of stairs, or the boiler room.
Ok, whatever. I'm talking about the US and maybe just the PNW where it is quite rare to be asked this.

doverhog posted:

If you do not want to be there get the gently caress out, and do not bring your poo poo shoes or poo poo attitude in my abode. Also do not bring your poo poo person in my house.
Again, this "if you don't like it, leave" idea is nonsense. I'm already standing at your door. If you're going to have weird requirements to entry that poo poo needs to be listed on the invite or discussed beforehand, so I can reject your invitation at that point. I'm not turning back around after making the trip over and having everyone talk about how weird Kazanski is because she'd rather leave than take her shoes off. I'll just take them off the one time and make a mental note that going to your house sucks.

Turtlicious posted:

lmao way to poo poo on other people's cultures, be a dick about it, and signal to us all you have poor hygiene issues all at the same time. Masterful troll post.
Yes, I'm trolling in the "post your unpopular opinions" thread.

Queen Combat posted:

Holy gently caress this is the wrongest take of all wrong takes. Don't drag your poo poo into my house. Do you know the dirtiest surface that you contact regularly? The floor of your car. What touches it? Your shoes.
GASP! Oh, brother. Bust the vacuum/mop out once a week and take the stick out of your rear end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Your feet stinks, it's ok. Some people like that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kazanski posted:

someone invited me to their house and i didnt wanna go - but i still did, and then the fuckers told me to take my shoes off!!! how loving dare they! i can not believe i was asked to do such a small, simple thing, i must escalate this situation. Why am I getting mad??? WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME TO DO SOMETHING??? I DIDNT EVEN WANT TO BE HERE YOU KNOW YOU loving oval office thats it gently caress you im going home

*SLLLURRRRP* ahhh, coffee...im still loving PISSED I GOTTA TELL SOMEONE ABOUT THIS but i just told my only friend to piss off...oh well i'll just post about it to SA instead :downs:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kazanski posted:

Again, this "if you don't like it, leave" idea is nonsense. I'm already standing at your door. If you're going to have weird requirements to entry that poo poo needs to be listed on the invite or discussed beforehand, so I can reject your invitation at that point. I'm not turning back around after making the trip over and having everyone talk about how weird Kazanski is because she'd rather leave than take her shoes off. I'll just take them off the one time and make a mental note that going to your house sucks.

You are talking about party invites, certainly it should be listed then. I would not invite people into my abode at all.

Who is trolling who?

For an unpopular opinion, after you get home from a tryst of eating pussy, rear end, and general loving, you should not brush your teeth or use mouthwash. Remind your immune system what it's there for.

*also if in the midst of anal sex you see a bit of poo poo on the condom just casually wipe it away and keep going

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kazanski posted:

I'll do one reply. To all, my hygiene is fine, thanks.

Ok, whatever. I'm talking about the US and maybe just the PNW where it is quite rare to be asked this.

Yes, I'm trolling in the "post your unpopular opinions" thread.

GASP! Oh, brother. Bust the vacuum/mop out once a week and take the stick out of your rear end.

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I demand people take their shirts off when they enter my home.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wearing shoes isn’t particularly comfortable and I find it weird when people wear them longer than they need to. Like we’re sitting on a couch watching a movie why are you still wearing shoes??

Also, if you need to defend your hygiene on SA then you are probably gross

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would think it was a bit strange if people visited me and took off their shoes when they came in. You know, it just seems a bit familiar to me. I wouldn't take my shoes off when I visited somebody else's house unless they asked me. :shrug:

Back when I had piano lessons, the kid who was in before me always took his shoes off when he came into the tutor's house. I never did, the girl who had her lesson after me never did, the tutor himself was always wearing his shoes while he was teaching, so that this one guy was always taking his shoes off always seemed a wee bit unusual to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wearing shoes isn’t particularly comfortable and I find it weird when people wear them longer than they need to. Like we’re sitting on a couch watching a movie why are you still wearing shoes??

Also, if you need to defend your hygiene on SA then you are probably gross

Sometimes if it's somewhere I don't really want to be, I like to know I have the option to just get up and leave. If your shoes are off, there is an extra few moments of putting on your shoes where they can try and stop you.

Other common traps to be mindful of: if they put a movie on or change to a channel with a movie that's just starting, leave immediately. It's too awkward to leave in the middle and they will keep you there with promises of "oh there's only 45 minutes left" "i don't want to pause it" etc. Never agree to stay for dinner unless they specify exactly when it's going to be. Don't drink alcohol at all if you have friends/family that will nag you about it not being safe to drive when you had a single beer 3 hours ago.

Or you can just stay at home alone all the time and never have to worry about making sure you have a clean quick escape plan.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Or you can just stay at home alone all the time and never have to worry about making sure you have a clean quick escape plan.

I do that but still make sure to have an escape plan in case my own company becomes too insufferable. It happens more often than you'd think.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would think it was a bit strange if people visited me and took off their shoes when they came in. You know, it just seems a bit familiar to me. I wouldn't take my shoes off when I visited somebody else's house unless they asked me. :shrug:

Maybe it's a bit of religious repression, responsible for foot fetishists. Similar to Catholicism and, you know what...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Maybe it's a bit of religious repression, responsible for foot fetishists. Similar to Catholicism and, you know what...

BDSM?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I demand people take their shirts off when they enter my home.

Yeah, or else they're trespassing and I'm within my rights to capture them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"In this house, we don't wear shoes indoors" may seem a reasonable request on the face of it, but it's only a short leap from there to an elaborate color-coded system of towels and keys and cleaning supplies and an obsession with frogs toads, and then you're well on the path toward writing up your secret plan to keep your nephew as some sort of pet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
loving typical goons. We all want to be kidnappers but you nerds have to hide it behind a million caveats and references

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I also live in the PNW and it is not rare at all you weirdo

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hmmyes: If it's my house, I am barefoot. You do what you like but, gently caress shoes. If it's your house and you don't invite me to, I will ask if it's ok to take them off. It's like when people never take off their coat. It feels aggressively standoffish.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

docbeard posted:

"In this house, we don't wear shoes indoors" may seem a reasonable request on the face of it, but it's only a short leap from there to an elaborate color-coded system of towels and keys and cleaning supplies and an obsession with frogs toads, and then you're well on the path toward writing up your secret plan to keep your nephew as some sort of pet.

Not to mention having a nude day

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Every day is nude day when you work nights and have blackout curtains.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Sleep in bed with shoes. Ready for anything at any moment!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The entire floor of my house is comprised of used needles, it makes you stronger.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You take off your shoes so you don't tread mud or dirt all over the floor. It's not some weird requirement, at least outside of wherever you live

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
People who insist on the whole shoes off thing are insufferable because of what it represents. This mentality of "i must keep everything pure and clean for when it is tainted that is the source of my unhappiness" is borderline mental illness. Carpets get dirty, floors need sweeped, sometimes people stand in poo poo. That's life and dealing with it is far more down to earth than striving for some clean utopua where your carpet is never soiled.

I see similar things in a friend of mine who insists on parking at the furthest away spot in a car park to avoid anyone bashing his door or scraping his bumpers. I can understand why he does it but the metal energy you have to waste to care about something so insignificant sounds pathetic to me.

Then again he's worked a full time job for a decade now and still hasn't moved out of his parents so maybe its just a mentally weak thing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That is the hubris of a man who hasn't ever done the simple act of taking his shoes off when he gets home from work and thus discovered he has to clean his floors way way less. It's not paranoia, it's laziness, friend.

I don't require it of guests but my shoes come off as soon as I'm home bc I'm the one who cleans it, and I am all about reducing my own workload.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Clean your floors when you're going to have guests and at no other time¹. It's the floor. It's for walking on. Who cares if there's some dirt? Oh no, the dirt I transferred from my shoes/feet onto the floor might get transferred back onto my shoes/feet, what a disaster! And you were going to mop/sweep/vacuum before you had anyone over anyway, regardless of how clean the floors appeared, right? So don't waste that effort by unnecessarily cleaning your floors on a regular schedule.

¹ Unless you spill something, obviously.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

The floor is for walking, storage, sleeping, and so forth. It will never be clean, but I don't want to have to worry that if I pass out in the wrong room, I might end up with a significant amount of feces on my face. e: except right by the door, which is basically outside.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Polyseme posted:

The floor is for walking, storage, sleeping, and so forth. It will never be clean, but I don't want to have to worry that if I pass out in the wrong room, I might end up with a significant amount of feces on my face.

You should look into some modern inventions called "cupboards" and "beds".

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Tiggum posted:

You should look into some modern inventions called "cupboards" and "beds".

I can't always control where I am when my body decides to start shutting down again, unfortunately. Cupboards are nice, but not useful for pallets of food potatoes or whatever my relatives are growing too much of.

edit for better content: walking at around midnight is better and safer than doing so in the middle of the day or just before or after standard working hours. Similarly, after-bars-close gym folk are the nicest, if not always the most sober.

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Oct 29, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

People who insist on the whole shoes off thing are insufferable because of what it represents. This mentality of "i must keep everything pure and clean for when it is tainted that is the source of my unhappiness" is borderline mental illness. Carpets get dirty, floors need sweeped, sometimes people stand in poo poo. That's life and dealing with it is far more down to earth than striving for some clean utopua where your carpet is never soiled.

Carpet floors are a perversion never seen in glorious Finland. Why would you cover your floor with carpet you can't pick up and take outside to beat the dust out of?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

doverhog posted:

The act of taking of your shoes is in part symbolic. You are entering a home into which you have been invited. Behind you is the cold dark. You take off your shoes to signal, I am entering a place of peace.

I don't even care either way for the most part on taking shoes off or not, but this level of it comes off sounding insane.

Cause like, some part at least around me is probably gonna be more on the lines of "We might've been outside in the regularly enough 100+ degree weather, I don't wanna smell no fuckin feet."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bring back host foot washing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You keep the floor as clean as possible bc what if you’re hungry and don’t feel like mopping right away? I don’t want gross outside germs all over my food.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
When you think about it, the floor is just your lowest Shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CrRoMa posted:

I see similar things in a friend of mine who insists on parking at the furthest away spot in a car park to avoid anyone bashing his door or scraping his bumpers. I can understand why he does it but the metal energy you have to waste to care about something so insignificant sounds pathetic to me.

Then again he's worked a full time job for a decade now and still hasn't moved out of his parents so maybe its just a mentally weak thing.

“You only want me to take off my shoes because you’re mentally ill” is definitely a hot take.