Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ah, ok, yeah, if you're going power armor sure. I never really bothered with it because it seemed excessive.

Not anymore, lol, (good-masterwork) marine armor is a necessity if your colonists are going toe-to-toe with raiders. I maintain a full set for every colonist and have been working on bumping all of them up to excellent. All the thrumbofur I get (and I gear up for a hunting party whenever they come on map) goes towards shirts and pants. If you use Gear Up and Go, the armor lasts quite a long time (which is good because it takes ages to make, industrious crafters preferred) though it does take a noticeable dip in durability when one of my squads tanks a doomsday rocket with no casualties.

Armor is huge in B19 and 1.0. drat near everybody has it now and you have to at least level the playing field if you don't want to lose colonists. Marine armor isn't strictly necessary with flak everything, but it does a drat good job of protecting all the fiddly bits on a colonist compared to flak and a simple/advanced helmet, which only covers the important ones, and only covers the torso anywhere near as well as marine armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody have a solution to mods taking forever to load? It's never been like this before and if anything I have less mods than B17/18 when I last played. I'm on a SSD, and my load time to get to the main menu is around 3-4 minutes. Before it was maybe 20 seconds.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
No, and it's the worst. I'm at 212 mods and it takes 7 minutes on SSD. I spoke to Jecrell yesterday about it and he mentioned it's due to xml files sucking and if everything was json instead of xml it would take a fraction of the time.

Also here's a fun video of my current issue: https://streamable.com/6w461

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Garfu posted:

No, and it's the worst. I'm at 212 mods and it takes 7 minutes on SSD. I spoke to Jecrell yesterday about it and he mentioned it's due to xml files sucking and if everything was json instead of xml it would take a fraction of the time.

I've been getting that as well. The game seems to run fine, but the scrolling just hitches and jumps further than it should. Not something I had noticed before even when the simulation itself starts to slow down in a big colony.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Sillybones posted:

I've been getting that as well. The game seems to run fine, but the scrolling just hitches and jumps further than it should. Not something I had noticed before even when the simulation itself starts to slow down in a big colony.

Mine is actually lagging the game when I'm scrolling, that's just how I was showing what it was doing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So I really need to get my defenses in shape and I keep reading about killboxes. Do I have it right that if I leave only one open part of my wall the enemies will always pathfind their way there instead of trying to dig through the wall? I've seen some examples of killboxes (using sentries or traps) but I'm still not sure if I need to be making 4 killboxes per side of my base or how I go about doing this the most efficient way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Garfu posted:

Yeah but JSON is just darn CONFUSING for them non-programmer folks. All these curly-cues and braces and what-not strewn everywhere.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Vengarr posted:

Yeah. It makes sense if you think about it, I suppose.

Move the butcher over to your main production room, it benefits from tool cabinets while the ovens do not.

Pemmican is more resource efficient anyway, and you don't have to worry about some idiot dropping to "starving" and cramming a handful of kibble down his throat, tears in his eyes over the fresh hell his life has become.

For walls, I usually eschew the killbox in favor of completely walling in my settlement with a bunch of doors along the wall; when raids come they'll spread out to attack different parts of the wall so you can pop in and out killing them one at a time. Even when sappers try to dig through, they wind up creating a one square wide tunnel that they all have to funnel through which gets them mowed down anyway.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

explosivo posted:

So I really need to get my defenses in shape and I keep reading about killboxes. Do I have it right that if I leave only one open part of my wall the enemies will always pathfind their way there instead of trying to dig through the wall? I've seen some examples of killboxes (using sentries or traps) but I'm still not sure if I need to be making 4 killboxes per side of my base or how I go about doing this the most efficient way.

I'm not sure how it is now, but it used to be killboxes were great against regular raids, but sappers will just blow through walls like nothing and siege tactics will mortar your poo poo which means you either need to mortar them back or sally

Edit, so yeah basically an open area with traps and defenses that they have to funnel into where your pawns are waiting behind sand bags. Get creative

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wish there was a way to A) Set a priority clean zone and B) schedule a different work priority so that all my pawns spend at least a bit of each day cleaning and hauling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

explosivo posted:

Unless the AI has special conditions(siege, drop pods, or sappers), they will beeline to what they perceive as the path of least resistance. This means that if you leave only one route open and unwalled into your base they will try to go there in almost all cases, so you should generally stick to one killbox so you can better concentrate your defensive resources(turrets, traps, etc).

Sieges will set up mortars and shell your base until they either kill you or you kill enough of them to cause them to abandon their mortars and attack; you can do this by sallying out or by counter battery fire. Sappers will spawn in and beeline the center of your base in as straight a line as possible, simply cutting through every wall in the way as they do so; the best way to greet these guys is wait for them to cut a hole in one of your walls and shoot them to death in the choke. Drop pods will come in at random points on the map so when you get drop podded you're going to need to street fight in your settlement.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kanos posted:

Unless the AI has special conditions(siege, drop pods, or sappers), they will beeline to what they perceive as the path of least resistance. This means that if you leave only one route open and unwalled into your base they will try to go there in almost all cases, so you should generally stick to one killbox so you can better concentrate your defensive resources(turrets, traps, etc).

Sieges will set up mortars and shell your base until they either kill you or you kill enough of them to cause them to abandon their mortars and attack; you can do this by sallying out or by counter battery fire. Sappers will spawn in and beeline the center of your base in as straight a line as possible, simply cutting through every wall in the way as they do so; the best way to greet these guys is wait for them to cut a hole in one of your walls and shoot them to death in the choke. Drop pods will come in at random points on the map so when you get drop podded you're going to need to street fight in your settlement.

This is extremely helpful information, thanks a bunch!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Drop pod raids are the best raids in the game and create the most fun battle stories.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm on a coastal tile, and most of the time my colonists decide to exit as a caravan by taking ages to swim to the edge of the map (all three other edges are accessible).

That also means that often, caravans enter from it. That also means that if anyone is downed, they spawn downed, and then drown near immediately.

The ocean is eastern, the accessible land tile is southeast hex. Am I just screwed?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Someone finally made a mod that lets you change the edge of the map limit for building :swoon: Now I can finally build a clean looking road off the map instead of it stopping abruptly

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Motherfucker posted:

I wish there was a way to A) Set a priority clean zone and B) schedule a different work priority so that all my pawns spend at least a bit of each day cleaning and hauling.

The comments say this one works for 1.0 despite being listed as b19.

This one adds a priority clean work type similar to urgent hauling for areas with sterile tile so they'll clean the hospital/kitchen/research room first.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What makes JSON more suitable?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
A good mod would be one that prevents idiot raiders from running into a meat grinder over and over. Something to mark danger areas or something and attack different places. Surely it can't be too impossible. Or really, just something that gives the raiders a few really simple tactics.

Has anyone done anything for this?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's what siegers and sappers are for, and yes there's a mod that disables the "dumb horde" type of raid if you want that:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541326422

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

What are some good 1.0 mods that add more content for me to consume?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BBJoey posted:

What are some good 1.0 mods that add more content for me to consume?

Not gonna try link to ng since I'm on my phone, you should be able to search these by name:

Rimcuisine is pretty well balanced, and adds new ingredients without being anywhere near as system intensive as Vegetable Garden. It also adds not-opium and some other crops to make new drugs from it even tries to match the naming scheme of the base game.

More Faction Interactions adds more map events for carravaning.

The Giddy-Up series of mods adds systems for your colonists to ride animals for caravaning or into battle. Pretty well balanced and not too complicated; you'll also see traders and enemy raids use mounts, which adds variety.

What The Hack adds mechanoid hacking and modding, seems reasonably balanced so far. In the same vein, it's compatible with Orion's More Mechanoids which helps diversify mech raids. It's also by the guy who did Giddy-Up, and he did make a compatibility patch, so you can ride your mechanoids, if you want.

Dinosauria adds dinosaurs, it also matches the base art style pretty well. Maybe not quite as balanced; once you can hunt even one large dinosaur your meat and leather needs are pretty much taken care of for a season or two. That said, it's also compatible with Giddy-Up, and if that prospect doesn't excite you, we have nothing more to say to one another.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 29, 2018

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Don’t forget to combine A Dog Said and Dinosauria!

Nothing like bionic dinos.

Sparkling Worlds adds late game weapons as well as a number of world and a few map events. I prefer this one to Glittertech for adding glitter world weapons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Keeshhound posted:

Not gonna try link to ng since I'm on my phone, you should be able to search these by name:

Rimcuisine is pretty well balanced, and adds new ingredients without being anywhere near as system intensive as Vegetable Garden. It also adds not-opium and some other crops to make new drugs from it even tries to match the naming scheme of the base game.

What The Hack adds mechanoid hacking and modding, seems reasonably balanced so far. In the same vein, it's compatible with Orion's More Mechanoids which helps diversify mech raids. It's also by the guy who did Giddy-Up, and he did make a compatibility patch, so you can ride your mechanoids, if you want.

Dinosauria adds dinosaurs, it also matches the base art style pretty well. Maybe not quite as balanced; once you can hunt even one large dinosaur your meat and leather needs are pretty much taken care of for a season or two. That said, it's also compatible with Giddy-Up, and if that prospect doesn't excite you, we have nothing more to say to one another.

can these be added to an existing game?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Rimcuisine and Dinosauria almost certainly can since they just add some new items/animals that use existing game systems.

I'm not as sure about What The Hack and Giddy-Up, since they actually add some new functionalities, but I remember the mod author being pretty good about documentation, so it'll probably say so on the mod pages if you go through steam.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm giving Climate Cycle++ a try, picking an arid shrubland and the 'Winter is Coming' setting. Basically I have like...four years? or so before the temperature will be as cold as the ice caps. My goal is to build a completely sustainable indoor facility with shitloads of room for all the animals I can find, like a mountain-based Ark or something.

If animals are all tamed, do I still have to worry about them eating each other? Trying to plan out if I have to keep the predators apart from the others.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tame animals don’t hurt each other, luckily.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sillybones posted:

A good mod would be one that prevents idiot raiders from running into a meat grinder over and over. Something to mark danger areas or something and attack different places. Surely it can't be too impossible. Or really, just something that gives the raiders a few really simple tactics.

Has anyone done anything for this?

Honestly seriously adjusting how raiders work would require a substantial overhaul in how the game handles wealth to threat calculation, because past the very early game enemy numbers become so overwhelming that if they weren't morons who zerged into your killbox colony defense would be largely untenable. A reasonably wealthy colony with a couple years under its belt and 15-20 colonists(of which half will be combat effectives on average) is going to be facing raids of 30-40+ pirates at minimum, which is simply not survivable in a fight anything approaching fair.

If you do something like make pirates attack different points, you make the problem worse, since you will need to set up multiple kill boxes and inflate your wealth further with more turrets and traps, which in turn means you need to make your killboxes more extensive, etc.

Rimworld combat is simply too lethal and "balanced"(as in it's just as easy for mook #3404 with an assault rifle to blow one of your guys' heads off or inflict deleterious permanent wounds as it is for you to kill him) for open combat to be a viable conflict resolution mechanism with the numbers of pawns at your disposal.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This game is pretty awesome. I just bought it, and I'm about 6 hours in, and it's my first winter. I got all my parkas made. I captured a prisoner and tried to convert him but he went insane and had to be put down. I only have the same 3 people I started with minus the dog who died defending us against a raider. :(

I rescued a lady from a drop pod, and I swear it said she would likely join us if we saved her. So I saved her, and as soon as she got healthy she just... left.

Yeah. You're welcome.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I've been having fun with genetic rim. Trying to gather all the rare creatures so I can frankenstein them all together has been a blast.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think crashed refugees only have a chance of joining if they're part of the spacer faction. If they're affiliated with anyone else, they'll walk off the map and give you faction rep.

If it's a spacer and you absolutely need them, capture and recruit them like you would a downed raider. They're usually pretty easy to win over since they have no other loyalties.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 29, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Philthy posted:

This game is pretty awesome. I just bought it, and I'm about 6 hours in, and it's my first winter. I got all my parkas made. I captured a prisoner and tried to convert him but he went insane and had to be put down. I only have the same 3 people I started with minus the dog who died defending us against a raider. :(

I rescued a lady from a drop pod, and I swear it said she would likely join us if we saved her. So I saved her, and as soon as she got healthy she just... left.

Yeah. You're welcome.

Rescuing crash survivors makes them likely to join but not 100%. If you want to be totally sure you gotta throw em in prison and convert them like a prisoner.

deathbagel posted:

I've been having fun with genetic rim. Trying to gather all the rare creatures so I can frankenstein them all together has been a blast.

GeneticRim is really cool, but if you don't want to break things over your knee completely, stay far away from the mechanoid hybrids because holy goddamn poo poo they're insanely overpowered and trivialize everything(mechathrumbos with antigrain warhead launchers with infinite ammo and mechamuffalo that don't eat and carry 400kg).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay so killbox has been set up and it truly is the way to go. I previously had 4 killbox-lites set up on each side of my perimeter wall and had some sandbags set up for shooting but that was it, I closed those up and made a nice long winding hallway filled with traps leading out to a fortified sandbag bunker for my defenders with mini turrets on either side of the hallway exit. It's crazy how much of a difference it makes when they have to run through a field of traps before even getting to my defenders. Once they come out they're pretty much hosed. I did notice it seems like you can't cram in traps as closely as you used to be able to, I found an example of a killbox that had checker patterns of traps and sandbags throughout the hallway leading up to it and it doesn't look like that setup is possible anymore? I think there has to be one space in between traps now.

My main issue I've been dealing with this playthrough is I'm having a hard time getting colonists who are good at shooting, and about 1/4 of my colonists are incapable of violence so I only really have 6 good defenders right now. The rest of the non-pacifists get to go on mortar duty. I'm playing Random but the raids are definitely increasing in difficulty past the point where I was able to do anything about it so this change was necessary.

In addition to that I finally got a nice greenhouse up and running, and after building a new kitchen/freezer I immediately ran into a problem of TOO MUCH CORN and I think I need to expand my freezer again. I'm getting choked up with vegetables and there's just not enough space for all of it. The greenhouse idea is a really good one though and one that I can't believe I never considered before. I guess I always assumed putting a roof on a building would stop stuff from growing inside it even with light, but I'm glad to see that's not the case!

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I'm doing a medieval playthrough with medieval times + faction control. Only factions left in the world are medieval/tribal and I restrict my research so I don't advance past medieval tech. Really fun so far. Also, steel traps are really powerful.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

explosivo posted:

In addition to that I finally got a nice greenhouse up and running, and after building a new kitchen/freezer I immediately ran into a problem of TOO MUCH CORN and I think I need to expand my freezer again. I'm getting choked up with vegetables and there's just not enough space for all of it. The greenhouse idea is a really good one though and one that I can't believe I never considered before. I guess I always assumed putting a roof on a building would stop stuff from growing inside it even with light, but I'm glad to see that's not the case!
too much corn just means more fuel!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LegoMan posted:

too much corn just means more fuel!

Yup, I've been feeding it straight into the Biofuel Refinery. I'll definitely never be short on chemfuel again :v:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Make pemmican.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, the mods for this game are insane. So many good ones that make ease of life changes. You gotta wonder how the devs react to these. Do they see the good ones and add them into the game proper or do they simply ignore it because the mod exists so why bother?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Many mods have been added in over time, but now that it's 1.0 Tynan's probably not going to be changing much.

Bridges used to be a mod!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Hey I just downloaded this and played it once, which was super fun. Everyone died, but it was a good first story. It's basically dwarf fortress except not as horrifically confusing and an actual goal.

One question though, if an animal dies of natural causes, is there any way to butcher it? I had a rhino die of a heart attack and permitted my pawns to go grab it, but they can't seem to do anything with it. Now there is just a giant corpse in my base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Stereotype posted:

Hey I just downloaded this and played it once, which was super fun. Everyone died, but it was a good first story. It's basically dwarf fortress except not as horrifically confusing and an actual goal.

One question though, if an animal dies of natural causes, is there any way to butcher it? I had a rhino die of a heart attack and permitted my pawns to go grab it, but they can't seem to do anything with it. Now there is just a giant corpse in my base.

Configure a cooler room and a stockpile zone to put in meals, raw food, and animal corpses. Then put a butchers table in there or nearby and set up a bill to forever butcher animal corpses. Or human too, if that's your jam.