Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She's just good at maintaining her work-life balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This one felt disorderly and not so great to me. Def my least favourite out of the four we've had.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

docbeard posted:

I was a little surprised that when Kevin the Bodyguard started threatening her and her mother with a gun she didn't so much as mention that she was a police officer.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Ryan's shadow animals yet! (There had better be a gif of these I am just saying)

:agreed: on both.

I also have to say letting a giant spider suffocate or the others eat each other/starve is a lot worse than shooting them.

What I did like was that the threat wasn't alien, it was entirely human caused. Harkens back the first three Doctors.

I also thought the "I could have a flat! I could get a sofa! Imagine me, with a sofa!" was very 11th Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfechu posted:

I'm going to be that guy, and someone correct me if I don't know my history properly, but I'm pretty sure there's never been a coal mine that close to the surface near Sheffield, at least in the 20th century (which are the pits they'd be reclaiming the land above in any developments right now).

The mineshafts in the town I grew up in were about 900 yards (2700 feet) below the surface, and that wasn't unusual for that seam of coal, so either the basements in that hotel go one hell of a way down, or...

I know, I know, dramatic licence, overthinking it, etc. Just an annoying detail.

Apparently there are longstanding (and conflicting/denied) accounts of there being a lot of tunnels under Sheffield, so this may have just been playing off of that.

Astroman posted:

Harkens back the first three Doctors.

Felt very 3rd Doctorish to me, with the manmade disaster/hubris of some rich rear end in a top hat thing going on. I mean that in a good way of course, I grew up on that wonderful stuff :)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Astroman posted:

I also thought the "I could have a flat! I could get a sofa! Imagine me, with a sofa!" was very 11th Doctor.

Yeah, my mind went immediately to Matt Smith with her reading of it too. Felt that Jodie has rather comfortably slid into the role at this point. Put me down as another fan of her semi-exaggerated facial expressions and empathic sonic-ing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Count me on the side of "watching the spider suffocate to death wasn't more humane than shooting it." The guy might have been a douchebag, but shooting the spider was the right thing to do even if he had worse intentions.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I liked this episode up until the point where it just gave up on wrapping up the story and just moved on to the next thing. It was very anticlimactic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So far it seems this series is far more interested in telling a character story. And those character beats are very, very good. It wants to be a low-key piece about family, dealing with grief, whatever...

But it’s Doctor Who, so it seems like Chibby suddenly remembers “oh poo poo uh...spiders!” and crams that in there to be swiftly wrapped up just to get back to character development.

I don’t really have any solution to it. I’ve generally really enjoyed this series so far, but it’s an observation I’ve had.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

When did it become canon that the Doctor had regenerations pre-Hartnell? Apparently it’s now part of her backstory that she had female incarnations while living on Gallifrey? I know in The Brain of Morbius it was implied, but is this a Big Finish thing or has it come up in the revived series before now?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Servoret posted:

When did it become canon that the Doctor had regenerations pre-Hartnell? Apparently it’s now part of her backstory that she had female incarnations while living on Gallifrey?

No, she made a reference about being a "sister" for some religious group that turned out to be assassins. It's along the same line as,"I gave Elvis Presley a mobile phone", just a reference to some unseen adventure she's had over her previous incarnations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think she knows who she is either because she never mentioned that she was a police officer to not Trump.

Amy Pond was a more convincing police officer as a kiss-o-gram than Yaz has been this whole show. If she acted at ALL like a copper, she could be an interesting foil for the Doctor, but instead, she just faffs about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Good episode, although I was surprised that Bigly didn’t end up trapped in his panic room with the spiders. It felt like that was what the episode was barrelling towards.

The Doctor’s line “Do you want me to get it while you make your terrible pakori?” made me cackle. They never did get the parcel from next door.

I completely missed Ryan’s shadow puppets, and now I’ve gone back to see, and it’s adorable. :3:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dude, those were actually really great looking computer-generated giant spiders.

I say dude now! :haw:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Never forget when the Doctor took on Thatcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkjc_5yGCmM

I was expecting The Sunmakers, but that works too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Antiquated Pants posted:

Honestly, if there was video of a presidential candidate walking up to, and shooting, a 15 foot spider... I think it would be the biggest landslide victory in history.

I mean, you're not wrong. I'd be totally up for a Teddy Roosevelt style president if their crazy masculinity was tempered with actual good governance and sound thinking. Basically Obama, but with that weird Teddy charisma and his craziness manifesting in more of a "Oh someone shot me, well let me just finish my speech here then I'll get checked out later" way where it's still crazy as hell but kinda badass.

Add me to the tally of people shocked that Yaz didn't identify herself as popo when someone was pointing a drat gun at her and her mom too.

I'm also surprised the Doctor didn't ruin Not-Trump's presidential chances or anything, seems like they've done that a decent number of times in the past when someone's a dick but not karmically killed by the monster or the direct cause of the menace of the week.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Considering the two-party system, I gotta say that if I had a vote that Mr. Bigly would get it. Not earn it, mind you, just inherit it out of my resigned comparative tolerance. inb4 don't blame me i voted for kodos

That spider Ryan caught in the pot is leashably sized and I want one. :3:

docbeard posted:

There's also the other time the Doctor took on Thatcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60shMyabeMo

If you found someone unfamiliar with DW (or had hopped on board with Moffat's era at the earliest) and told them that the show and a parody both took the piss out of politics

And one made the politicians into soulless Cybermen
And the other made them into fat farting factories

Which do you think the newbie would say is which?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi as a bit of an arachnaphobe

gently caress giant realistic CGI spiders

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt little crawlies all over my skin in that episode. They moved was too realistic. And they had little hairs!

And I am 100% in favor of President Big's Spider Killing Policy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

And I am 100% in favor of President Big's Spider Killing Policy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm just watching the new episode now, but I wanted to note I'm starting to figure out why people are getting different specific vibes from new Doctor

it's the phrases

I caught a couple of "love a _____"s in the last few episodes, which reminded me of Tennant--love me a big locked door, love a good hologram, I do love a good stasis chamber, etc; Smith threw "lovely" around as an adjective a lot, but didn't do the "I love (thing)" as much as Tennant did

this episode's "imagine me with a couch" hit me as Eccleston--like, his "imagine me with no head" during his regeneration immediately sprung to mind, even if that's the only time he said it I can't remember any other Doctors using that phrasing

it's small, but I think the Doctors' choice of words (in addition to Whittaker's acting) is going a long way to provoke those resemblances to previous Doctors, just a random thought I had

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this episode's "imagine me with a couch" hit me as Eccleston--like, his "imagine me with no head" during his regeneration immediately sprung to mind, even if that's the only time he said it I can't remember any other Doctors using that phrasing

It was very Eleven, specifically his musings about having a job with a desk or being a curator.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I thought at first I would hate it but I ended up thinking it was actually kind of fun once it got going. It was entirely trivial plot-wise, but it had fun interactions with the characters.

A few nitpicks:

How\why was there a big spider at gramp's house? They explained the Yaz's neighbor connection but not that one. I guess it was related to the map in the beginning maybe. Oh well, plot convenience isn't a deadly sin.

Spiders can't just crawl on walls and ceilings because of magic spider powers, they can do it because they're really small, light, and have diffuse hairs that enable Van der Walls effects and electrostatic forces dominate gravitational forces at their scale. It's not like you're going to get a big tarantula to crawl on the ceiling. But I get it, Spider-man has this power too, it's just a cultural thing.

As to why President Big just left the story, I just basically assume he'll be back. I haven't read any spoilers for this season so I don't know if it's true, it just seems like this episode was more about setting up his character for more stuff later. If not, then it's a really wasted opportunity.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the Time Racist’s whole butterfly effect thing the story does write itself to a degrees.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NowonSA posted:

I mean, you're not wrong. I'd be totally up for a Teddy Roosevelt style president if their crazy masculinity was tempered with actual good governance and sound thinking. Basically Obama, but with that weird Teddy charisma and his craziness manifesting in more of a "Oh someone shot me, well let me just finish my speech here then I'll get checked out later" way where it's still crazy as hell but kinda badass.

The Ken Burns documentary on national parks had a great line, "[Teddy Roosevelt] was worried that the buffalo would go extinct before he had a chance to shoot one."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Did you know that because something something volume surface area, spiders this big can't walk on ceilings at all without falling off?

And also "random landfill mutates spiders into giants",

I mean I'm perfectly fine with a full on fantasy episode but at some points this episode felt like they were trying to put science where it doesn't belong.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

navyjack posted:

Amy Pond was a more convincing police officer as a kiss-o-gram than Yaz has been this whole show. If she acted at ALL like a copper, she could be an interesting foil for the Doctor, but instead, she just faffs about.

missed opportunity:
they want to get into the neighbour's flat, but the door's locked & she ain't answering. could use your police officer to legitimately enter with her powers of acting like a cop. instead of just waving the sonic for the millionth time.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

In this case though it was that the landfill had been taking medical waste from that spider research lab and just dumping it in the ground rather than safely disposing of it like the lab thought they would do.

Like, it's still a bit of a stretch but it's not just 'landfill waste causes giant spiders'

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This episode wanted to be “The Beast Below” and couldn’t pull it off. The dilemma is hardly the same. Why is locking huge spiders in a bunker to die(?) okay but executing a supernormous nightmare Shelob a problem?

The “corporate malfeasance toxic mutation” aspect behind it all only added to the Resident Evil feel you get with spiders that can’t fit through doorways (and boy was that weakness exploited a lot). Blowing away a Resident Evil like spider boss aligns with my values. I’m a voter and I approve this message.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 29, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seconding that Trump wannabee came off more sympathetic than intended in the end, seeing my own preferred method to dealing with giant non-sapient spiders would have been "lots of fire".

Liking this season overall though, could find things to nitpick against in the seasons before too.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
alright I finished watching and catching up on the thread

I agree they could have used a little... I dunno, something here and there to wrap this up better. Leaving the little spiders in the safe room to eventually die on their own seems bad; a quick scene of the Doctor releasing them on some other huge spider planet or something would have been nice. I wish the Doctor and/or the spider researcher would have started to come up with an alternate plan to humanely put the giant spider down when Not-Trump burst in, because as it stands... yeah, I would rather take a bullet to the dome than suffocate, maybe it's just me thanks

the guns, the racism, the emphasis on cheating/cutting corners to achieve power at the expense of others... I really feel like this whole season is leading to the Doctor fighting America, just all of it, the whole country

I kid but if the Trump analogue doesn't end up teaming with the time racist I will be loving stunned, this social commentary pretty much writes itself

I think the writers have forgotten Yaz is a cop but overall I liked this episode a lot

edit: oh poo poo I should mention since I was bonering out about how things are phrased earlier (also good call that Whittaker's rant was very 11, I was too caught up on the specific wording reminding me of 9 but the context was 11 as hell), the Pseudo-Trump trumped really well--his choice of words and where he put his emphasis was like, some dumb hand motions and squinting away from being too analogous

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 29, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Did you know that because something something volume surface area, spiders this big can't walk on ceilings at all without falling off?

Insects/arachnids famously can't growth beyond a certain size because of biology, chemistry and physics.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean I'm perfectly fine with a full on fantasy episode but at some points this episode felt like they were trying to put science where it doesn't belong.

The 'scientist dumps magic chemicals into the landfill/sewer and oversized animials with superpowers grow' seemed naggingly familiar. Then I realised:

They ripped off the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
obviously, the mutations caused the spiders to also develop an excess of antiphysicsium (possibly radioactive doses of fuckrealitum), which was unable to keep up past a certain size (thus the suffocating not happening at chonk levels but kicking in at LAWD HE COMIN size)

can't wait for my spin off where a team of spiders skateboard and fight crime

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I dug that the entire thing was designed around Yaz's mum just wanting Yaz to be dating SOMEBODY and she didn't give a gently caress what their gender was. :3:

Najia.

Soothing Vapors posted:

That bit was adorable. Yaz's Mom owns

Najia.

Agreeing with people that said they were surprised that Yaz or even Yaz's mum (Najia) didn't say that Yaz was a copper. You see a gun being waved about and the police are going to get involved. Also I'm not feeling this new theme.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm completely happy with the "they found a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders offscreen" explanation given that they were literally talking about finding a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders when they were gathering them in the first place.

And the entire point of why just shooting the suffering giant spider wasn't okay was because it wasn't a monster, it wasn't an evil supervillain spider boss, it wasn't an object to be hated and dreaded and feared (even if you hate and dread and fear spiders) it was a suffering animal and the Doctor didn't even have a chance to find a way to give it a dignified and painless death (which she and the spider researcher had explicitly talked about being a priority for them before) before Bigly decided to shoot it in the face.

Also, as cathartic as ruining the Trump-analogue's presidential chances with a few choice observations about how tired he is to the press would have been, it feels more honest in some ways for him to do unpleasant Bad Man stuff and walk off into the sunset, whether he's going to be back or not.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It was a pretty okay episode until they forgot to write an ending. Like, I know that this is a constant Chibnall problem, but good god.

The Trump satire was lazy. It hasn't been okay to have your Trump stand-in just be a rich dope with delusions of grandeur since, like February 2017. RTD going after Tony Blair felt like it had some bite to it, at least. This was like mayonnaise.

I'm still enjoying the characters, and I'm looking forward to getting out of the Chibnall-scripted bits really soon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rochallor posted:

It was a pretty okay episode until they forgot to write an ending. Like, I know that this is a constant Chibnall problem, but good god.

The Trump satire was lazy. It hasn't been okay to have your Trump stand-in just be a rich dope with delusions of grandeur since, like February 2017. RTD going after Tony Blair felt like it had some bite to it, at least. This was like mayonnaise.

I'm still enjoying the characters, and I'm looking forward to getting out of the Chibnall-scripted bits really soon.

It wasn't even a good Trump satire, I mean this guy could form coherent complete sentences

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

docbeard posted:

I'm completely happy with the "they found a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders offscreen" explanation given that they were literally talking about finding a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders when they were gathering them in the first place.

And the entire point of why just shooting the suffering giant spider wasn't okay was because it wasn't a monster, it wasn't an evil supervillain spider boss, it wasn't an object to be hated and dreaded and feared (even if you hate and dread and fear spiders) it was a suffering animal and the Doctor didn't even have a chance to find a way to give it a dignified and painless death (which she and the spider researcher had explicitly talked about being a priority for them before) before Bigly decided to shoot it in the face.

Also, as cathartic as ruining the Trump-analogue's presidential chances with a few choice observations about how tired he is to the press would have been, it feels more honest in some ways for him to do unpleasant Bad Man stuff and walk off into the sunset, whether he's going to be back or not.

It was pretty clever that they chose a monstrous looking animal for the doctor to care about. Made her respect and dignity speech a bit more powerful than if it had been about a cuddly puffin or a majestic lion.

On the other hand, gently caress spiders gently caress spiders gently caress spiders burn them all poison the bastards stomp them out

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes but it’s also Literally Giant Spiders, a fiction trope done to death in fantasy and horror and really genre fiction altogether. Giant loving Rats would be just as unappealing.

To put it another way, when Literally Giant Spiders achieved a higher level of intelligence and learned interstellar travel and also started abducting and eating humans, Ten and Donna had no problem burning the mother alive, drowning a gajillion babies, and blowing the gently caress out of their spaceship like a giant Christmas candle.

The Doctor’s occasionally vague “protect Earth” mission seems to waver on whether or not they protect humans as the top of the food chain. Really, the only things these spiders had going for them was being Earth-bound creatures themselves, though as unnaturally augmented they’re out of their ecosystem.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yes! Drown them! Blow them up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

To put it another way, when Literally Giant Spiders achieved a higher level of intelligence and learned interstellar travel and also started abducting and eating humans, Ten and Donna had no problem burning the mother alive, drowning a gajillion babies, and blowing the gently caress out of their spaceship like a giant Christmas candle.

The Doctor’s occasionally vague “protect Earth” mission seems to waver on whether or not they protect humans as the top of the food chain. Really, the only things these spiders had going for them was being Earth-bound creatures themselves, though as unnaturally augmented they’re out of their ecosystem.

Here, the choice wasn't "kill the spiders" or "leave the spiders be to murder the people of Sheffield", it was about whether it was worth taking extra measures to reduce their suffering.

And Ten murdering the Racnoss wasn't exactly presented as heroic (even though he gave them a chance to withdraw, and even though they were going to kill basically all of humanity). Ten being a bit scary was kind of a theme with that incarnation of the Doctor, and Donna certainly didn't come across as "fine with it".