Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TheFlyingLlama posted:

how would guns utena even work? like, some john woo gun fu poo poo, or western quick draws or what? if it is western quick draws is everyone required to wear cowboy boots? I'm sorry, idk why but this is the thing I just can't stop trying to wrap my head around

I'm envisioning John Woo gun fu poo poo. I'm also envisioning Touga as the shotgun guy but the arena producing ample amounts of cover and Utena cartwheeling and rolling between cover while Touga blasts them to pieces and it's working in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
See what I mean by how it's always going to bug me wondering how this'd be?

I can't imagine Nanami as anything other than dual wielding uzzis.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Juri's a sniper.

Saionji has a bazooka.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Akio would 100% have a Magnum Revolver. It fits his teenaged AXE-sprayed braggadocio perfectly

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Robindaybird posted:

but not a TV broadcast dub, which is a different kind of beast.

Ohhh. Yeah that'll do it.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Originally the dub was going to be called "Ursula's Kiss" and the original concept page...well

https://web.archive.org/web/20010409220651/http://www.enokifilmsusa.com:80/library/ursula.htm

Shortly after they made changes to match the original more; but the shitpost memewar had already begun. There's still parody sites out there.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter XIII: No One Told Me There Would Be Math Involved

Soundtrack: Nostalgia for Diversionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07VXuyr75bQ

Our Father named us. You can tell by the fact that he has no care that he picked a name literally unpronounceable in Japanese, because a girl doesn't need a name.

Patter Song: My father named me.

Chigusa: Oh, your father...

Chigusa is such a head trip.

Patter Song: Do you know my father, Chigusa-san?

Chigusa: Of course not - don't be foolish. It was just polite conversation.

Patter Song: ...

She manages to be ominous, threatening, and dangerous in every single conversation.

And we pissed her off. When the screen starts with five roses and takes one away, that's a sign we've just lost a Chigusa affinity point. She is not happy with our answer. Oh, well, we'll have plenty of times to flirt with her later, right, thread? She's your second-favorite after Jury, so we need to go after her.

This always throws me off. I find it hard to remember that anyone played this game without access to save states.

Soundtrack: Campus Lyric https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270vPdVVJ74

Patter Song: (The cafeteria was pretty good yesterday...But come to think of it, Utena said she and the others would be eating outside today. What should I do?)

Not going to bother you with this one. There's no way you all wouldn't pick Utena. Interestingly, this one's a bit more of a real choice than that "Talk to Utena/don't talk to Utena" choice before: going to the Cafeteria would have an actual scene. If you all had wanted me to be a bit more hostile to Utena, we would've taken the Cafeteria option, but I'm still going by that ranked priority vote from a few updates ago to determine thread attitude, and Utena was in 3rd place with a lot of votes. Plus, we literally slept with her last night. Eating lunch with her is a no-brainer.

Utena: Yeah. You wanna come with?

Patter Song: Hehe...I thought you'd make that offer. Thanks, I'd love to come. I'm honored by your invitation!

You basically invited yourself along. You don't get to say "I'm honored by your invitation."

Soundtrack: Panorama of the Full Bloom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3HSgrrC3-I

Utena: The weather's nice today, huh?

Patter Song: Really! They're truly the ideal conditions for a picnic.

Wakaba: "The ideal conditions for a picnic..." That's some pretty fancy Japanese.

Is Protagonist-Us' line some sort of archaic phrasing?

Utena: But that's really how it feels. Of course, I don't have a lunchbox, just some bread and snacks.

Of course.

Patter Song: Utena, did you make this?

Utena: Nah, Himemiya did.

Of course.

Anthy: Yes. :)

I'm including the :) because you can hear it in her voice. Of course, with Anthy, you can never be entirely sure if she's doing what she's doing just for the sake of quirky eccentricity or out of her love of pulling pranks and creating situations to humiliate people. Wait, what am I saying? The Rose Bride has no personality, she only follows the will of the Engaged...

Wakaba: You should probably wait to admire it until you see what's inside.

Patter Song: Huh? What do you mean?

Wakaba: Well, open it up and see.

Patter Song: Is it okay if I open it, Anthy?

Anthy: Yes, go ahead.

I'm hoping for some of her trademark Shaved Ice. I hear its her specialty.

Nothing wrong with taiyaki. :colbert:

Utena: Woah, those look good!

Anthy: That's right. :)

That said, this might not be the most balanced meal.

Patter Song: So the next dish must be...

Taiyaki, candied apricots, and sauce crackers with plum sauce: the Rose Bride Diet.

Patter Song: (What the heck? There's nothing even remotely lunch-like in this lunchbox.)

Ah, you're just jealous because it's so much better than your lunch of...wait...

Utena: Come to think of it, what about your lunchbox? I don't see it...did you forget it?

:negative: We really should've gone to the cafeteria after all.

Anthy: If you'd like, feel free to eat from mine.

Eh, what's the worst that can happen, moo? Surely nothing bad could come of this.

Again, I don't think the thread wants us to starve here, and I do want to have the vote be the next option and the next update would be way too short if we stopped here, so let's just do the natural thing. Also, just between us, I do not want to piss of Anthy Himemiya. Only a fool risks alienating Anthy. If she's offering us food, let's be friendly and accept it.

Anthy: Please, be my guest.

Wakaba: Are you sure? These dishes might be pretty rough on someone who's not used to them...

Patter Song: No worries! I like this kind of festival food. Thanks for sharing, Anthy!

Yeah! Even if this is...not standard lunch fare...how bad could it be? How badly could you screw up taiyaki and crackers?

Toilet flushing sounds accompany. Yes, Anthy Himemiya's lunch either made us throw up or gave us the runs. In the spirit of this thread's choose your own adventure nature, you can choose your own headcanon as to which end our poor protagonist's lunch made its rapid exit. Either way, it's far from the worst thing that ever happened to someone who ate Anthy's cooking, chu?

Soundtrack: A Distillation of Timehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTgFGlsgk2s

Back to class.

...We're actually having a lesson? That never happens!

Chigusa: Certainly. The answer is "A+3."

Teacher: Correct. So for this problem, you expand it like this...Patter, if you add this part and this part, what's the sum? Please tell us.

Ah, algebra. I'm actually fairly good at this, so if you give me the problem...

Patter Song: Um, sure! (What should I do? I think it's A+18, but I'm not sure. Ahh, everyone is staring...! If I mess up here, they're all going to laugh. They'll see the huge gap between Chigusa and me. What should I do, what should I do...?!)

Oh, right, Protagonist-Us isn't actually me. Also, are you really worried about being shown up by a girl 3 years older than you who is in 8th grade again for some undefined health reason? It seems like rather unfair competition.

Chigusa is whispering an answer to us, but...it's not our answer.

Patter Song: (That voice just now...was it Chigusa-san? Did she just tell me the answer?)

Well, she did get the last problem right...maybe she's just really good at algebra? But her answer doesn't have a variable...hard to imagine a problem where 38 and A+18 are both reasonable answers.

Well, here we go. Are we going to go with Chigusa's suggestion and say 38, or are we sticking to our guns and saying A+18 even though the class math whiz seems to think it's the wrong answer?

I look forward to seeing your responses. Until then, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Don't trust Chigusa

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

a+18 the important thing in school is to learn and we're not learning anything if the answer is just being fed to us. If we're wrong, let's be wrong with our own answer.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

a + 18 sounds significantly more like math than 38, we should go with that.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Patter Song: Your answer is my answer, hot not-at-all dangerous lady!

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Chigusa hates us so... a + 18.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Azza Bamboo posted:

One thing I did hear about Utena is that Ikuhara was adamant about using guns for the duels instead of swords, because there are more variants and more interesting poses they could use where swords are difficult to work with. They only decided against it because there was a high profile shooting before production started. It's always going to bug me wondering how that would have been.

Jokes aside that would have been pretty amazing.

Say 38.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 29, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

Jokes aside that would have been pretty amazing.

It'd pretty much have to be paintball just to keep with the victory condition of knocking the rose off, but it'd lose the advantage the swords have of being potentially fatal without being necessarily fatal.

EDIT: Also, Mawaru Penguindrum is amazing and I wish that game had a crazy Visual Novel to play.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Patter Song posted:

It'd pretty much have to be paintball just to keep with the victory condition of knocking the rose off, but it'd lose the advantage the swords have of being potentially fatal without being necessarily fatal.

EDIT: Also, Mawaru Penguindrum is amazing and I wish that game had a crazy Visual Novel to play.
I'm just thinking of the crazy dramatics Masako gets up to with her paintball gun and imagining that in an Utena arena. Seems like it could get surreal enough!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I trust Chigusa. What's the worst that can happen :)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A+18

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
a + 18

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Next update's going to be fairly short in content, so I'm going to figure out if there's some sort of supplemental info I could talk about to buff it up. Any Utena-related topics people want me to go off and write about on the next update?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Talk about Wakaba, because she's the best.

Either that, or go more in-depth about what happened when someone tried Anthy's cooking.

e: also, a+18

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, I'm on episode two of this right now, and I didn't know that there was a show out there to beat Sailor Moon for freakishly long legs.

I'm still watching, of course, but it was jarring at first.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's real easy to forget that Utena is 14.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Andyzero posted:

Originally the dub was going to be called "Ursula's Kiss" and the original concept page...well

https://web.archive.org/web/20010409220651/http://www.enokifilmsusa.com:80/library/ursula.htm

Shortly after they made changes to match the original more; but the shitpost memewar had already begun. There's still parody sites out there.

Wait, the version with the Seekers of Armageddon is the second draft? :psyduck:

That said, it's not completely accurate to say that there was ever going to be a dub called Ursula's Kiss; that was just a suggestion by Enoki Films, the middleman rights-holders who were trying to sell the TV airing rights internationally.

Leraika posted:

Talk about Wakaba, because she's the best.

Seconded.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Perhaps you could speculate on what it'd be like to attend Ohtori academy as someone not directly involved in the dueling? While there's a lot that could be said of what happens in the show, the events of the student council and Utena are not something Song-san has experienced firsthand like we the viewers may have through the lens of the show and/or the manga. How much would we know? Maybe we could immerse ourselves in what school would look like from the protagonist's point of view for a while.

Would we have seen Nanami from a distance sporting some unusual neckwear? Would we have seen crowds gathered around Touga? Would people around us have told us how they speak to Touga on the phone at night? If we could think about what we've heard about Juri up to this point, maybe we could figure out what our deal is with her. While we the viewers know a lot about who Shiori was before she left, what would Song-san know about Juri?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
You can just call her Patter-chan. Song-san's so formal.

:v:

(Do not actually do this)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
patter-dono it is then

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I just realized in the timeline where Revolutionary Girl Utena is about guns and not swords, Pearl from Steven Universe just uses, like, a loving uzi, and that's beautiful.

Okay, CLEARLY she'd have two floral engraved revolvers.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, how are we liking Chigusa?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's not really a lot to go off of right now. She has presumably some connection with our father, who she doesn't like, she doesn't dress like a student and is the president of the fencing club-- but she also just transferred to our class? Which seems odd, I guess she could be transfering from a different class at the school, but I feel like that never happens in media and I didn't go to school in Japan so-- is that even a thing? Maybe?

I guess what I'm saying though is that there's not really any information here other than that she sticks out, I don't really care for her character design (white hair is a big no for me and I hate how prevalent it is in a lot of stuff these days) mostly because her outfit doesn't look like any sort of uniform and the way the characters outfits look is really important in the series. But design aside, it's hard to form an opinion one way or another until we learn something. I feel like whether or not she's teasing us by giving us a wrong answer or not and how she reacts when we do or do not go with her suggestion is going to inform us more on her personality and how she feels towards us.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd hate to be the one to make it weird but I wonder if her collar represents some kind of relationship she has with another. If Ikuhara made this design I'd be certain that the collar wasn't just a fashion accessory, but in the game I have no idea.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm still getting Mikage vibes from her.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

^she reminds me of him too. Our dad being a teacher at the school before while Chigusa's like, 3 years older than us is really suspicious. Assuming they met at Ohtori because every major thing happens there.

Oh and Patter if you're still taking requests for ways to pad out the next update, please do a text dump or something on Nanami. I've been holding my breath hoping she'll appear in this game this whole time. I need some air.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I know too much to elaborate but i love chigusa she's extremely good

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flac posted:

Oh and Patter if you're still taking requests for ways to pad out the next update, please do a text dump or something on Nanami. I've been holding my breath hoping she'll appear in this game this whole time. I need some air.

We'll be talking about her later, no rush for now.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I like Chigusa but I don't trust her.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

We'll be talking about her later, no rush for now.

look i can't help but judge how worth my time anything ever made is by the metric of "is nanami in this*?" but i GUESS i'll endure.

*and not a cow for most of it

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Flac posted:

look i can't help but judge how worth my time anything ever made is by the metric of "is nanami in this*?" but i GUESS i'll endure.

*and not a cow for most of it

Nanami got the best song in the musical, too.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Finally managed to finish binging this thread. I'm disappointed that people like the protagonist this much. You have to admit that even though Saionji's the worst person who isn't Akio or Anthy it certainly would have been interesting to see what actively pursuing him with protagonist powers would be like.

Also, to pull way back to something Patter Song quoted Dallbun saying some pages back:

Dallbun posted:

"There's no way you're a Duelist, D-ko. Duelists are all charismatic, strong-willed, beautiful people!"

There's an obvious second reason Patter Song can't be a duelist: she doesn't have a tragic backstory.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you look really closely at the envelopes in the final episode one is made out to Patter Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Capfalcon posted:

So, I'm on episode two of this right now, and I didn't know that there was a show out there to beat Sailor Moon for freakishly long legs.

I remember when I first watched Escaflowne and couldn't get over the ski jump noses.