Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there an effective way of using chloride to kill off slimelung? I tried using a pocket of the stuff but the polluted oxygen generated by the slime eventually pushed all the chloride away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Qubee posted:

I can't deal with slime, it just spreads slimelung everywhere. I mined like 5 tiles and brought it back to the base, and ...
Don’t do that.

Base -> airlock door -> (ladder or whatever for movement) -> deodorizer -> storage container.

Set the storage container for slime only, disable disinfect, and priority 6 or 7 (so dupes will actively clean up ground slime).

Then just keep an eye on the immunity gauge, and if it drops below 100 find which dupes are slimed and deny them access going out of the door until they recover.

That’s really about it in about 90% of my colonies.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nothing wrong with bringing slime back to base. Indeed, you need to do that if you have a mushroom farm. Otherwise, every time your mushrooms need slime, your dupes will carry it all the way from outside the base and it will spread slimelung all over the place.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Put your slime box under water

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also make the slime to algae machine or whatever that’s called to use up the slime so it doesn’t keep spreading germs. That plus a 9-priority storage box behind deodorizers is all I needed to mine slime sections without worry.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
With the underwater slime box and enough pure O2 generation in the base to not kill your dupes any leaky polluted O2 that sneaks in won't have enough germs to be a problem. The benefits of immediately jumping to a waterless, super plentiful food that gives a morale boost instead of a penalty, gives you a place for your CO2 and a use for the slime resource is a god send for a starting base. Building a CO2 tank and using literal dirt for the farm boxes is like maybe the third thing I start working on after getting O2 and bathrooms set up so nobody dies or poops up the place. It's a super high priority for me and pays off very well for the beginning stretch of the game.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Nah no need. Just have a storage container in water to stop your co2 room filling with polluted o.

Since you cook mushrooms on the grill it kills any germs. Dont know about eating raw mushrooms since it's dumb to not cook them.

Mushrooms are great for early food as they only take slime. A co2 room is easy to make and it's a +2 moral difference from pickled meal. I get them going very early, a small farm can support a lot of dupes.

I lay them out. 3 farm tiles. 1 raised. Water with storage 1 raised. 3 farm. Then three tiles up you can do 2 tiles ladder spaces and repeat this let's you eventually put an auto sweeper in. Two of these is feeding 7 dupes and creating a stupidly excessive amount of extra.

Could you post a picture for those of us who learn better with pictures?

Somewhat related, my 248 cycle base didn't warn me that I was getting low on calories until I only had two gristle berries left and the bristle berries were still several cycles from harvest. My mealworms got too hot and I'm not sure how to cool them down soon enough to keep my dupes alive til I get more bristles planted/grown :(

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I made this thing. It is working okay, cooling any temperature liquid down to ~5c at nearly pipe capacity. The issue is that if a non-full glob gets in, it cools too fast for the sensors to react and breaks the pipe. The other problem is the temp sensor lets two globs through each activation instead of one. So I have to catch too hot ones and divert them back into the system. Any ideas on what I can do?

edit: The radiant pipes are below the sensors, where the water is stopped by the system.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 28, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
that's a lot of wheezeworts

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

I made this thing. It is working okay, cooling any temperature liquid down to ~5c at nearly pipe capacity. The issue is that if a non-full glob gets in, it cools too fast for the sensors to react and breaks the pipe. The other problem is the temp sensor lets two globs through each activation instead of one. So I have to catch too hot ones and divert them back into the system. Any ideas on what I can do?

edit: The radiant pipes are below the sensors, where the water is stopped by the system.

If your primary issue is non-full liquid packets, there is a device you can build with liquid bridges some have called a "concentrator" that only lets full packets through, keeping the rest in an infinite pipe loop. I've never built one so I couldn't advise how.

My recommendation overall though is to split your cooling system into 2 rooms. 1 room with wheezeworts, hydrogen, and the thermonullifier. Immediately adjacent to that put the pipe room with some hydrogen and tempshift plates. The wall between the rooms should be exactly 3 tiles thick, the outer 2 walls made out of a thermally conductive material (any metal tile or diamond window tile). The inner wall should be mechanized airlocks (preferably steel, but anything is fine). Use automation wires and a thermo sensor so the doors open when the pipe room is getting too cold and are closed otherwise. When the doors open they form a vacuum, preventing overcooling.

I don't usually cool piped liquids with wheezeworts, so this may be overkill mind you. I like to put a system like this under my main water tank.

Edit: Fundamentally the system as designed seems difficult. Wheezeworts cool to -65, the thermonullfier to something like -175. To keep it stable you have to be pumping in an amount of heat matching your cooling levels, which seems highly unlikely. You need to be able to control the cooling or it is likely to fail at some point. Another way to control Wheezewort cooling is to build them on top of sideways mechanized airlocks, opening the airlocks when you want the cooling to stop.

Edit Edit: The above was too long and complicated.
Short version: Put the wheezeworts on mechanized airlocks rotated horizontally. Wire all the airlocks to a thermo sensor so they open when things get too cold.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 28, 2018

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Also, because I think I remember someone complaining about priority assignments. Pushing the P key will bring up the priority view and let you mass assign priorities to jobs.

Edit: I had never seen the button on the tool bar for priority, sheesh I'm oblivious.

Sanguinaire fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 28, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

man I love this game but I feel like I get burnt out, because it's so punishing. in Factorio, it doesn't matter whether you go the spaghetti route or OCD organized route, it all still works, you just get punished with less efficiency and potential logistical headache. with ONI, it doesn't matter how OCD I plan my base, as I leave the mid game and enter the early late game, I run into a whole slew of problems. plumbing is a mess. ventilation goes everywhere, power circuits keep frying because I need to put transformers everywhere to actually dole out energy properly. it's crazy, especially when you barely have enough energy to run the 1200W refinery, which is insanely important to bump your electrical network to a level where it can handle all the power needs.

it feels like a vicious cycle of
>meticulously plan a base
>things go great in the early game
>mid game has it's challenges but it's bearable
>late game throws problem after problem at me and I'm barely clawing my way through them, constantly on the verge of everyone dying

I'm a moron, I've been sitting on automation tech for so long and never used it. a smart battery is a lifesaver, lets me actually properly use my machines without having to constantly disable / enable them. it's sorted my power issues out because now I can have all my stuff working nonstop and they stop automatically, that gave me enough time to get some refined copper and I redid my entire power network. thinks are much better now that wires aren't constantly frying.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 28, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would not recommend refining copper as you need it for exosuits and there isn't anymore in the game outside of what starts next to your base.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Replace your copper ore buildings with iron or gold and enjoy your new exosuits.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'll post up pictures tomorrow.

Also how many exosuits are you building that running out of copper is a thing?

Once you get gold build everything out that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mayveena posted:

I would not recommend refining copper as you need it for exosuits and there isn't anymore in the game outside of what starts next to your base.

I have never run out of copper ever, despite building most stuff out of it.

Worst case scenario you can always rebuild your copper stuff out of gold or iron once you get those.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I might even be so bold as to say if your running out of copper you might be building too much before heading out of your starting biome and getting access to other ores.

That or you're sticking with copper when gold or iron is available for some reason.

Then again you could have a really lovely seed. I don't know how variable starting resources can be.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What liquid do you guys prefer to run through metal refineries?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Oil works well enough. Can produce steel forever if you have have a large enough body of oil it takes forever to heat up.

Copper and gold are fine with polluted water.

Lead and steel broke mine with polluted water due to it turning into hot steam and smashing all my pipes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I usually begin with polluted water to start off my industry but it's constantly bubbling polluted oxygen like it was an open bottle. The quick fix is slap down some deodorizers near it and ignore that, and dump all the heated water into whatever pit I'm using for water while moving on to more important things.

Eventually once I have a caustic biome explored I switch to oil coolant. rear end tons more heat capacity and no polluted oxygen, but takes some infrastructure for heat dissipation and is quite low priority for me. Almost a luxury build once I'm up to the point of sustainability and looking to work on efficiency.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Is there a mod or something that lets you use refined metals in pumps and stuff? I really feel like that would open up a lot of what I want to do in this game.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
You can use steel to build pumps, no mods required.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

For the guy asking about mushrooms:

I'm sure I stole this from somewhere but basically this is my mushroom room.

The door set up at 1 takes advantage of CO2 being the heaviest gas and keeps the oxygen out pretty good.
The extra space needed to house a gas pump to filter out any random oxygen or Polluted Oxygen that gets in there allows me to pop some food storage in a place I know will always be 100% CO2.

At number 2 is where I would put a pitcher pump to unload 2 or 3 bottles of water (4-600 kg) into the tile with the storage. This obviously gets deconstructed after it has done its job in favor of more mushroom space.

1 or 2 tiles above the storage is where the auto sweeper goes you can see what tiles it can reach when you place it. Might have to juggle the ventilation pipes around to make it fit, I can't remember if they interact. The pipe layout is a bit sloppy anyway. The gist is, pump out non-CO2 and filter any CO2 caught up back in and from off screen an input of CO2 to top up the room (never really required after initial fill but never both to deconstruct it).

Deoderiser is there because sometimes dupes are dumb and need the toilet 2 tiles away from depositing the slime, and rather than finish the job they just drop it on the floor. So much of your contamination is polluted o2 over time.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 28, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

don't get me wrong, Cast_No_Shadow, that's an awesome set up. but the sheer amount of jank and wackiness just needed to grow mushrooms kinda makes me not want to bother with it. I swear, most efficient setups in this game either look atrocious, or seem to cheese the system. having a compactor sitting in a puddle of water just doesn't seem right, but it's a valid tactic.

I try and keep my rooms nice and organized, and everything is compartmentalized, but I legit don't think this is a valid strategy for this game. you gotta cram really efficient SPOM stuff into your base to make oxygen and power generation inconsequential, you gotta have rat's nest plumbing / ventilation systems in place. just gives me an itchy feeling I can't scratch when I can't have everything neat and tidy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That's...quite a setup for mushrooms. I just do a 3-tile tall room, doors set 1 tile above the ground because, again, CO2 is the heaviest gas.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Same. Mushrooms just go at the bottom of my base. I put ration boxes down there too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Seed for three cool steam vents close to the start if anyone wants it:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

i ended up staying a new base after reading a bit of that steam guide someone posted earlier. I've never done a six tile wide corridor in the middle of the base. I always use three and airflow tiles on each floor. the thing i really want to use is the SPOM in the guide since what i have been using forever is a single pump for oxygen and a single pump for hydrogen that i pump back into the generator, but it always ends up getting backed up and shutting down, so i have to waste power by constantly running the generator.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What's backing up? The idea is that a SPOM can run as long as it has water and you don't overpressure the vent. If you're referring to advanced measures of only running the hydrogen gen when necessary, the guide set out here has an additional quote: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/87548-self-powering-oxygen-module-mkii-production-and-cooling/

quote:

You can replace the large batteries with a single Smart Battery, connected via Automation Wire to the hydrogen generator, to dramatically increase the SPOM's potential power output. Note however that this will create an externality: any hydrogen the SPOM doesn't use for power will need to be routed to a second generator or a storage room. If you don't, the electrolyzer will over-pressurize and stop producing oxygen, potentially leading to suffocation and/or death. Which is bad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Re: farm. Here's mine.

Pretty easy to set up and operate. Feeds six dupes with some extra left over, and has enough expansion space to support a seventh, and maybe even an eighth dupe if needed.

In a previous game I had optimized this even further, whereby the doors of each farm (bristleberry and mushroom) where automatically locked/unlocked depending on the status of the corresponding fridge. That way, dupes wouldn't waste their time with farming if the fridge for that particular food was full. Saved on a bunch of water that way too. But that's probably unnecessary.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

for some reason, my plumbing that takes polluted water to hydroponic tiles to water my reed plants doesn't water them. the hydroponic tiles have 37g of polluted water and nothing more goes into them. exact same setups with mealworm hydroponic tiles works fine, water fills them up to 100kg or something. is there a special tactic for irrigating reed plants? cause they're constantly refusing to grow due to lack of irrigation.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Qubee posted:

for some reason, my plumbing that takes polluted water to hydroponic tiles to water my reed plants doesn't water them. the hydroponic tiles have 37g of polluted water and nothing more goes into them. exact same setups with mealworm hydroponic tiles works fine, water fills them up to 100kg or something. is there a special tactic for irrigating reed plants? cause they're constantly refusing to grow due to lack of irrigation.

Check that you didn't remove a pipe connection. Plumbing always flows from a green source to a white sink. Even if it was already flowing, removing the green to white connection will stop the flow.

Did you mean bristleblossoms? Mealwood use dirt, not water.

Pointless fact: reed plants are the only plant that will grow submersed in water, but the game won't let them actually use that water to satisfy their needs - it has to be plumbed for hydroponic tiles or delivered manually for regular farm tiles.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've checked and double checked, plumbing goes from a pump in polluted water and only feeds these hydroponic tiles. Green to white. I even removed it all and tried running the plumbing underneath the tiles, and fed each tile separately by building a pipe upwards into them. no dice.

and yeah, bristleblossoms, my bad.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Qubee posted:

I've checked and double checked, plumbing goes from a pump in polluted water and only feeds these hydroponic tiles. Green to white. I even removed it all and tried running the plumbing underneath the tiles, and fed each tile separately by building a pipe upwards into them. no dice.

Check power to the pump? Kind of hard to troubleshoot. All I know is on more than one occasion I've cut power lines/gas lines/pipes/etc by using deconstruct all.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Smiling Demon posted:

All I know is on more than one occasion I've cut power lines/gas lines/pipes/etc by using deconstruct all.

One of the most annoying things.

If you can screenshot it we can diagnose the problem.

Regarding the mushroom room complexity, I'm trying to build a room that's eventually as automated as possible. So it only takes dupes to do the plant and harvest tasks. Hence why it's a bit more complex. I'll probably have to rework at some point to get it to automatically send mushrooms to the grill and prioritise certain crops over others but that's for later.

You could just make a co2 trap at the bottom of your base. |_________|_| like that. 1 or 2 tiles high. Horizontal is all mushrooms and the little one can be storage for slime. If you don't like the water trick put deoderisers on the two upright bits instead as long as they have sand it should capture the polluted o2.

I like trying to design more and more efficient and better buildings. But that's just me. As soon as I have done something on one play through, next time round I try to make it better. This is version 15 or so of the mushroom room. Which might make it seem over the top if you haven't done it once yet?

Also my maths says if farmed perfectly it feeds 4.8 dupes. So the numbers need work as that's an annoying amount of food to produce.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

Qubee posted:

Longshot, and I haven't gotten around to growing things with polluted water yet, but the hydro tiles might already have clean water in them which will keep the polluted water out. There's a button when the hydro tile is selected called "empty contents" that should clear whatever water is in it and let new water in. I don't know if the dupe doing it has to be a plumber so it comes out bottled or not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smiling Demon posted:

Check that you didn't remove a pipe connection. Plumbing always flows from a green source to a white sink.
Don't you mean white to green? White is input.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sanguinaire posted:

Longshot, and I haven't gotten around to growing things with polluted water yet, but the hydro tiles might already have clean water in them which will keep the polluted water out. There's a button when the hydro tile is selected called "empty contents" that should clear whatever water is in it and let new water in. I don't know if the dupe doing it has to be a plumber so it comes out bottled or not.

this was the problem, thanks! turns out a tiny bit of normal water had seeped into the tiles. cheers man.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've never had to farm reeds manually. I just explore the map, put a bunch of wild ones on auto harvest and a storage container as a destination, then when I have some absurd amount I'll never use go back and take them off auto harvest and never look at them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

What's backing up? The idea is that a SPOM can run as long as it has water and you don't overpressure the vent. If you're referring to advanced measures of only running the hydrogen gen when necessary, the guide set out here has an additional quote: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/87548-self-powering-oxygen-module-mkii-production-and-cooling/

The part that is getting backed up is the part where i don't have this design and didn't know about it until to days ago. I have the basic elements: electrolyzer sitting on airflow tiles with a pump and atmo sensor underneath it, and a pump limited to a sensor to the left with a one tile gap between the top and the wall separating the electrolyzer. All of this linked to a generator on a smart battery. I cool the oxygen by running it through a stupidly long pipe to a cold biome where it run through radiating pipes and comes out at ~18c.

Edit: i wish balm lily and reeds had more uses.